HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Official MMA Thread: Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2008, 12:34 AM
FacelessButcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaila View Post
kinda OT, but Arlovski looked like Leonidas's Twin (from 300), anyone agree?
I mentioned the same thing when I watched it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to agree about the poor production values compared to UFC which has a very polished product, but as a big MMA fan the last 2 fights on Affliction had me grinning ear to ear.

No matter how many time I see him, Fedor is just wow. The guy can't be human. He just can't be.

Old
07-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Ducks

Another thing I couldn't believe is that even though I was at a PPV party for the fight people who showed up still wanted to see the UFC fight tonight. Oddly enough it was the UFC fans that showed up who thought Silvia would beat Fedor.

Anderson Silva is a good fighter and all but, seriously who would want to watch the free UFC fight when they are at a party with the Fedor fight on for free?

Old
07-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Nei1ey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
Another thing I couldn't believe is that even though I was at a PPV party for the fight people who showed up still wanted to see the UFC fight tonight. Oddly enough it was the UFC fans that showed up who thought Silvia would beat Fedor.

Anderson Silva is a good fighter and all but, seriously who would want to watch the free UFC fight when they are at a party with the Fedor fight on for free?
most people in the US dont know about Fedor, hope it changes after tonight

Old
07-20-2008, 01:32 AM
bennysflyers16

The production of Adrenaline was BUSH league, and so were most of the fights. The blood on the camera, flashing to Jay Glazer as he was getting make-up applied, the lighting,,, Oh well, the Arlovski fight was good,(That knee was awesome) rest were blah, Watched it with my regular crew of 5, we were not impressed at all. Fedor,,,, WOW.

Anderson Silva is pretty good Thought Vera did not look that good at all vs the smaller guy.

ps

To the people wondering who Arlovski looked like, the big bad guy from Superman 2 ,, Twins !!

Old
07-20-2008, 01:32 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaila View Post
kinda OT, but Arlovski looked like Leonidas's Twin (from 300), anyone agree?
Andrei does (2:55 in)

Caught the whole Affliction card and the last few fights of the UFC card. From a fight point of view Affliction was better, but that's not surprising given the talent they have. A couple things they should change:
- fix that ring... either make the ropes more taut/closer together, or hire 20 Japanese guys who used to work in PRIDE to push the fighters back in .... it was silly how people kept going through them. Babalu lost a couple of really good submission possibilities as a result.
- I have to agree that the Megadeth thing was silly... I like them well enough as a band but it just seemed tacked on and out of place. I was watching at a friend's place with about 20 people and no one was really interested in them.

The fights started off kind of slow (Lindland's and Babalu's were mediocre-to-OK) but the HWs really delivered. It was great to see Arlovski back to being an aggressive mofo once he got his confidence out there. Barnett looked alright too, though I was surprised that he didn't use his wrestling much at all. The KO was a beaut but it would have been nice to see a patented suplex in there as well. And Fedor...well not much more that can be said there. He made a multiple UFC HW champ look like Zuluzinho.

I only saw the last three fights on the Affliction card. Edgar's starting to wear a bit thin on me, his last two wins have been of the fairly dull variety and he seems pretty content to just take people down and work from their guard. Disappointing fight that had a fair amount of potential going in. And speaking of disappointing...Vera. . Maybe I'm not giving Reese Andy enough credit, but Vera looked awful. Maybe it was just tough for him to cut on fairly short notice, and with it being his first cut to 205 as well. And Silva... well he's the man too. Hard to say who impressed more tonight between him and Fedor, I guess I have to go with Fedor since he made a better opponent look so bad. Patrick Cote must be ****ting himself right now.

As a final note... how much of a slap in the face to Dana must it be to have Big John standing between Fedor and Randy to hype a fight between them....

Old
07-20-2008, 01:36 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It wasn't the fights that dissappointed. It was the production value of the show. Very amateur.
I have to agree on that. One thing about EliteXC that i have to give them credit is they know how to produce a good show(i might even say on par if not better then the UFC). The commentators and lack of proper lighting did bring the show down a notch. Great Main Event, it's nice to see somebody bring Silvia down to the ground for a change.

If Affliction was smart they would just push heavy weights(get rid of the light heavy weights), they could market themself as the top heavyweight division in the world.

Last edited by boredmale: 07-20-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old
07-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

On the whole, I was very disappointed with the Affliction card.

As has already been mentioned, the production value was absolutely horrid, and the Megadeth interludes were completely unnecessary.

The fights on the whole were boring (outside of Arlovski which was easily my favorite fight of the night), and only the last few fights were even worth watching IMO, and the main event lasted 36 seconds, but Fedor is pretty much unstoppable.

The UFC card disappointed as well, but it was a free card so that's how it goes. Brandon Vera looked like absolute crap.

Old
07-20-2008, 01:45 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
On the whole, I was very disappointed with the Affliction card.

As has already been mentioned, the production value was absolutely horrid.

The fights on the whole were boring (outside of Arlovski which was easily my favorite fight of the night), and only the last few fights were even worth watching IMO, and the main event lasted 36 seconds, but Fedor is pretty much unstoppable.

The UFC card disappointed as well, but it was a free card so that's how it goes. Brandon Vera looked like absolute crap.
Vera did not look good at all, and I agree that the Arlovski fight was best of the night ( the only good one on Affliction)

Do any of you guys know how they will rule on the UFC fight with the eye poke, the ref called it a TKO, but it obviously was not. Can they change it to no contest after the fact ??

Old
07-20-2008, 02:09 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Do any of you guys know how they will rule on the UFC fight with the eye poke, the ref called it a TKO, but it obviously was not. Can they change it to no contest after the fact ??
I hope so. The fight was clearly over at that point, so it would just be the decision that is overturned. And it should be.

Really impressed by the class shown by Anthony Johnson afterwards. That must have been a really upsetting turn of events, especially with the official decision being that he was TKO'd, so it was extremely big of him to handle it the way he did.

Aside from Anderson Silva's insane skills, Rory Markham soccer-kicking that dude's head into the third row (and acting like he's been there before), and the Peruvian Necktie, the UFC show was pretty uninteresting.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:15 AM
MN_Gopher

I did not like the UFC card that much.

CB and Taylor. Two wrestlers, not good match up. That knee hurt Taylor alot. You get that adrenaling going, you want to fight right away. He looked zapped after that. Edgar Franca was pretty good. Scrambling little guys. I will give Vera one more shot. He may be the most over hyped fighter out there. But first cut, i can see that zapping him. Main event. Yeah it was over quick. But the anticipation was awsome.

Affliction. They had big names. I like watching Barnett fight, AA had a great fight and Fedor is Fedor. Babalu martin had its moments. I think they can improve and will be hard pressed to have a better card next go around. Their best hope is to stack at LHW and HW amd build from there. Don't add some no name MW on down and pass it off for their next show.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:00 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
man, your UFC bias isn't too obvious.

Silva is the best p4p fighter in the world...not just 'good'.

anyway, I thought Tim would have an advantage in the stand up game and I was SO wrong. Fedor just timed his lazy, hooking jab perfectly and got inside and man, did he land some bombs on Sylvia.

was surprised to see Arlovski so aggressive in his fight, even though it was against Rothwell. it's nice to see the old 'Pitbull' back. hope he keeps it up.

I thought the UFC card was real good except for Brandon Vera's fight. I used to be really high on this guy but I think he is all hype at this time. what a crappy fight.

Johnson got robbed. he should have won by disqualification, even though I though he was winning the fight outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Really impressed by the class shown by Anthony Johnson afterwards. That must have been a really upsetting turn of events, especially with the official decision being that he was TKO'd, so it was extremely big of him to handle it the way he did.
absolutely. I thought Johnson would go nuts but he didn't. I would have totally understood if he had an attitude after the fight with what happened and all. seemed like he got poked in the eye at least 3 times from my count.

Silva is the MAN. the way he just tore through Irvin was incredible. lmao, grabbing that kick and punching him in the face at the same time...this guy keeps amazing me every time I see him fight.

I would love to see him fight Griffin for the title. it's funny, I think he would run through the 205lb class almost as easy as the MW class.

BTW, I hope there is some way they can make a fight between Fedor and Couture happen. I want to see Randy get OWNED by Fedor...totally outmatched so bad he retires again.

Last edited by FlyersGuy69: 07-20-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old
07-20-2008, 03:20 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Anderson Silva is phenomenal I think he could take a lot of the good heavyweights as well to be honest.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:22 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Got back not too long ago from the Pond few notes

Vitor Belfort got probably the loudest crowd reaction for how many people were there at the time. Vitor looked pretty good his work with Randy is paying off.

As has been mentioned the production values were pretty abysmal especially during the unaired fights, it really looked as if they didn't know what was going on. Half the time they'd show Jay and Big John up on the screen with no audio then cut away and leave you with 20 minutes of silence.

NO way in hell was that place sold out, 75-80% TOPS, there were empty seats in every section, regardless of price.

Not sure how it looked on TV but the lighting looked really weird, almost dark yellowish in the ring.

Michael Buffer should do himself a favor and go talk to his half brother Bruce and get a clue on how to announce fights, yikes was he bad.

All in all I had a good time, I'm glad I went and at least I can say I got to see Fedor fight live. That being said I'd be VERY surprised if Affliction made it past it's second show. (Owner said the plan was for 2 shows and then a valuation)

I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:35 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post

All in all I had a good time, I'm glad I went and at least I can say I got to see Fedor fight live. That being said I'd be VERY surprised if Affliction made it past it's second show. (Owner said the plan was for 2 shows and then a valuation)

I'll post a few pics tomorrow.
dude, that's awesome! hah, wish I could say that.

the other thing I didn't like about the Affliction show were the announcers. I like Trigg and I like Glazer but what the hell was big John doing there? he was captain obvious all night and all 3 guys guys just talked over top of each other. very annoying.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69 View Post
man, your UFC bias isn't too obvious.

Silva is the best p4p fighter in the world...not just 'good'.

Silva drops weight to fight, Fedor fights people bigger than him and whoops ass. The claim that Silva is the best p4p fighter in the world is UFC marketing. He's not far off of Fedor's weight if he isn't dropping. If UFC had the balls they'd do a 1 fight deal with Fedor, but I doubt they want him to embarass anymore of their champs.

Fedor is the best p4p fighter in MMA. period.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It wasn't the fights that dissappointed. It was the production value of the show. Very amateur.

Anyway Andrei is probably going to fight Fedor next unless Couture and the UFC can iron out their legal issues.

Affliction is pretty much about the Heavyweight division at this point.
poor production values? Get off the UFC wagon. There wasnt an issue with that card at all.

Last edited by Cynical TyranT: 07-20-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old
07-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

jesus christ, stop worrying about Megadeth. THREE ****ing songs... live with it. They're an Affliction endorsing band. Affliction was sponsoring bands before MMA guys so they're following their business plan.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Quote:
Silva drops weight to fight, Fedor fights people bigger than him and whoops ass. The claim that Silva is the best p4p fighter in the world is UFC marketing. He's not far off of Fedor's weight if he isn't dropping. If UFC had the balls they'd do a 1 fight deal with Fedor, but I doubt they want him to embarass anymore of their champs.

Fedor is the best p4p fighter in MMA. period.
Silva's ridiculously overrated. He's fighting in a time where the Middleweight division is pretty weak. He's a good fighter, but Ill remain unconvinced until he starts wrecking more heads than he's been.

Fedor and Faber are better. Fedor's completely dominated bigger guys than him his entire CAREER.

Old
07-20-2008, 06:04 AM
KrazyTea*

Bwahahah, who here was calling Fedor rusty?

Old
07-20-2008, 07:50 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Silva's ridiculously overrated. He's fighting in a time where the Middleweight division is pretty weak. He's a good fighter, but Ill remain unconvinced until he starts wrecking more heads than he's been.
The ridiculous thing is calling Silva overrated. Fine, Fedor is higher in meaningless internet P4P rankings for you and others. Silva is the truth. UFC hype? Yeah, if UFC hype mattered, no one would care about any fighters other than Forrest Griffin and Michael Bisping.

The last part of your post makes zero sense too. He's fought everyone who's been fed to him. He's had guys refuse to fight him. What other "heads" is he supposed to "wreck."

And really, who did Fedor fight in the last year? Hong. Man. Choi. Say it again, because it was such a huge win... Hong. Man. Choi.

Old
07-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Man, watching Outside the Lines, seeing these little kids training in MMA is ridiculous.

I'm fine with kids who are in their teens doing it, because they've got a choice and can at least understand that beating some child into submission isn't ok in the real world. Though, it is still scary to think as a teacher that half of my students could be trained MMA fighters...

But 3 and 4 year olds learning to fight and then partaking in it? That's a bit much for me. I'm fine with a basic martial arts form where they're learning control, but MMA takes it to a whole new step.

That is just disgusting. Frank Shamrock on there defending it and saying that fighting MMA is like the real world is crazy.

On another note, I enjoy watching MMA fights and have for a while. I've got a cousin who does it and friends who have trained. but to see kids that young doing it just makes my stomach turn.

Old
07-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Random thoughts :

- Fedor is for real. I knew that he would win but i wasn't expecting it to be that fast and expeditive. He will most likely fight Randy next which should prove interesting and i expect him to win again.

- The Arlovski fight was the FOTN imho , at least as far as the Affliction card is concerned since i only watched the ME of the UFC card. I guess i have to thank Silva for making it this fast and letting us switch back to the AA fight.

- Silva should permanently move to 205. It looked more like his natural weight (he's a bit tiny at 185) and he's probably going to have better competition there (Chuck , Wandy , Griffin , Rampage , Jardine ect). That said he probably would clean that division as well and we saw a sample of that last night.

- WAR VITOR with the knee !!!

- Yeah Affliction production value wasn't that great , especially as far as the sound is concerned. It was low and dropped off a few times during the event. It didn't really bother me though and i'm pretty sure that they will be better next time.

- Overall the Affliction card was OK. Nothing great but nothing too bad either. Arlovski and Fedor pretty much saved the show.

- I just wish both main events would have been a bit longer but hey...i guess that's what happen when you have the best 2 P4P fighters in the world on your card

- Will try to catch am encore of the UFC card but from what i've heard it wasn't that great.

Old
07-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Who's screaming in the background at 1:37 and again at 1:50?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdiluItxc4

I think it's Couture.

Anyways, Fedor is a God!

Old
07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post

Fedor and Faber are better. Fedor's completely dominated bigger guys than him his entire CAREER.
What more can the guy do? He's completely DESTROYED every single guy he's faced in the UFC in the first or second round. Franklin, Marquart, and Henderson aren't tomato cans.

Wow pretty impressive stuff... both Silva and Fedor make statements.

Tough to tell what one was more impressive, Silva moving up in weight and KOing a much bigger and stronger guy or Fedor dismantling a former UFC champion in 30 seconds. I feel sorry for whoever these guys next apponents are.

Old
07-20-2008, 09:58 AM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Fedor vs Silva.

Catch weight.

I'd pay $200 to see it on TV.
That would be interesting, but after looking at there frames. It definitely looks like Silva can add more weight. So I guess it will be a closer to heavyweight type match. Fedor doesn't look like he can get under 220 imo. Should be an interesting fight Muay Thai vs. Ass Whooper Supremo.

Closed Thread