HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Official MMA Thread: Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

vCash: 500
Anybody else think that Lyoto Machida would be an interesting opponent if Anderson wants to fight at 205 again?

I think it would be interesting to see how Silva would try to get through Machida's defensive style. Of anybody in UFC that Silva might potentially face, I think Machida could be the one he'd have the hardest time with.

Old
07-20-2008, 12:26 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Anybody else think that Lyoto Machida would be an interesting opponent if Anderson wants to fight at 205 again?
It would be an interesting matchup, but they're teammates and when discussing the move up to 205 Anderson said that he doesn't intend to contend for the belt in that division since he thinks it belongs to Lyoto. So it's not going to happen, unfortunately.

Old
07-20-2008, 12:38 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Wow, what a night of fights. I watched the two events mixed into each other. And both had some good fights and some bad fights.

The Affliction production is bad though, very bad. Hated the dark arena and hated the overall feel of the show. Pretty amateurish, but it's a first show so I'll give it some time. I was impressed with the overall lack of BS in their show though. Yeah there was some, but it wasn't the full half hour of megadeath I was expecting. Could have done without the boxing style naming of celebrities before the main event, btu what can ya do.

As for who is the best pound for pound fighter, I couldn't care less, not one bit. Silva is a dominant fighter, and Fedor is a dominant fighter. An entire weight division separates them, and you aren't going to see them fight. Both are two of the best in the game today, I couldn't care less who is "the best".

Good fights for the night
Silva - Irvin
Fedor - Sylvia
Arlovski - Rothwell
Barnett - Rizzo
Valesquez - O'Brien
Markem - Farber
Dolloway - Taylor
Nogueria - Dewees

Bad fights
Lindland - Negao
Babalu - Whitehead
Buentello - Goodridege

Probaby forgeting some, oh well. Overall it was a great night of MMA action. Can't wait to see Silva back at 185 -- Okami hurt his hand, So Cote? -- and I think Barnett is the guy to fight Fedor next. Not Couture, and certainly not Arlovski.

Cain Valesquez looked great, and KO's of the night go to Markam, Belfort, and Barnett,
Submission of the night goes to CB Dolloway. Peruvian Neck Tie? Awesome!

Mark Hominick.. is bad. I've never seen a guy not able to get a triangle choke like that. He tried to pull down Young's head over and over WITHOUT locking in the triangle.. it was very frustrating to watch. Even the arm bar was weak as hell.

Fedor.. I mean what can you say... I have been critical of him not fighting top competition and while I think that was valid he has done what I wanted him to do. Beat another top 5 guy. He demolished Tim, ran right through him. What a show by Fedor.. what a fighter.

Silva.. again, wow. Moved up an entire 20 pounds and ran through a very game James Irvin. No Irvin isn't a top 205 guy, but just because you've had success at one weight doesn't mean you will moving up 20 pounds. Good show by Silva. Loved the dance afterwards.

Anyways, rambling on, but it was a great night of MMA. Really hope Afflition can improve on sub-par productions. It was almost silly switching to UFC and see how polished the product was. Even new graphics. I might seem like I'm harping on that, but I have a history in broadcasting and I noticed stuff like this.

Dream 5 soon, sweet.

Old
07-20-2008, 12:39 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
It would be an interesting matchup, but they're teammates and when discussing the move up to 205 Anderson said that he doesn't intend to contend for the belt in that division since he thinks it belongs to Lyoto. So it's not going to happen, unfortunately.
Exactly, Machida and Silva won't happen. It would be fun, but I think we can just forget it. Machida is fighting Thiago Silva next. Think he gets a title shot after that.

Old
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
I watched with one of my MMA buddies who has worked with the WWF and works alot of local fight shows, he said the bad lighting may have been on purpose to hide the lack of fans in the arena, one of many tricks he said promoters will use.

In attendance, "Stone Steve Austin"

Old
07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I watched with one of my MMA buddies who has worked with the WWF and works alot of local fight shows, he said the bad lighting may have been on purpose to hide the lack of fans in the arena, one of many tricks he said promoters will use.
:
Oh yeah, there is no doubt about that. I hate blacked out arenas, but even the ring and everything else was poorly light.

I love the ring, but they need to get better camera work as well. The ring really opens up camera angles and they really didn't use it to their advantage.

Also though their ring was poor. An MMA ring should have more then 4 ropes, and the ropes should be tighter as well.

Minor quibbles, but hopefully they improve them.

Old
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
John Torturella

I have always felt that Tim Sylvia is an extremely overrated fighter. He is a powerful guy but is slow as anything. His fights lately have been extremely boring. Most of them boring decisions. He has been getting worse and worse each fight. His ground game is bad. Just a boring fighter to watch.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:08 PM
QuickDynamite

Fedor looked as impressive as i've ever seen him. I thought Fedor had the upper hand but never thought he would dismantle Sylvia in under a minute like he did.

Those punches Fedor threw had so much power behind them, and then to take the back of Sylvia like that and choke him out, completely dominate him like that is pretty crazy. Sylvia wasn't in his league at all. I believe Fedor is the #1 P4P fighter in the world at the moment even above Silva.

The crowd reaction from Fedor was very good as well you could hear people chanting his name after the fight. I was watching the fight with some casual MMA fans and to say they were all impressed with Fedor would be an under statement. Looks like he's finally made a name for himself in the US, and that's the way it should be not fighters like Kimbo.

As far as the rest of the show, it was pretty good nothing groundbreaking but i'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. The Arlovski / Rothwell fight was excellent, I loved that jumping knee from Arlovski. Rothwell took a ton of punishment and I would love to see Arlovski and Fedor fight.

Barnett isn't a guy who really is known for his knockout power, and I really didn't expect him to finish Rizzo like that.

As far as UFC went - Nothing too unexpected. Silva won, Velasquez won. Edgar won in typical fashion, i was hoping to see Hermes Franca make it a more competitive fight. That was a pretty nasty cut he gave him at the end of the fight but it was too little too late.

I'd also like to say I was not impressed with the way the Burns / Johnson fight turned out. I thought Johnson was winning the stand-up, and was winning the wrestling, and Burns should have either had a point taken away or been disqualified for continuing to poke him in the eye. Not happy with the way that fight turned out at all.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
What more can the guy do? He's completely DESTROYED every single guy he's faced in the UFC in the first or second round. Franklin, Marquart, and Henderson aren't tomato cans.

Wow pretty impressive stuff... both Silva and Fedor make statements.

Tough to tell what one was more impressive, Silva moving up in weight and KOing a much bigger and stronger guy or Fedor dismantling a former UFC champion in 30 seconds. I feel sorry for whoever these guys next apponents are.
Franklin's not who he used to be, and Marquardt's no stud. He's beaten Henderson. Ill give him that one.. that's a good showing.

As far as Fedor. Are you serious? Yer gonna bring up that bigassed Korean? Not that he's beaten Nogueira [who nobody in UFC's been able to]. Randleman, etc etc. Its great all these new guys who just discover UFC in the last Ultimate Fighter Years and think they know something about it.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Franklin's not who he used to be, and Marquardt's no stud. He's beaten Henderson. Ill give him that one.. that's a good showing.

As far as Fedor. Are you serious? Yer gonna bring up that bigassed Korean? Not that he's beaten Nogueira [who nobody in UFC's been able to]. Randleman, etc etc. Its great all these new guys who just discover UFC in the last Ultimate Fighter Years and think they know something about it.
So true. It's easy when you don't know a lot about MMA outside of UFC, to just recite any garbage that comes out of Dana White's mouth as gospel.

Also look at the HUGE UFC presence that was at Affliction to see Fedor. Why weren't they at the Anderson Silva fight if he's the best p4p fighter in the world? I thought Dana White's word was gospel!

Old
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post

Everyone knows Fedor's beaten Nogueira. All I'm saying is, show me what he's done in the last year.

Fighting champ >>> sitting on his ass doing nothing champ

Old
07-20-2008, 04:50 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
well said colonel_korn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Good fights for the night
Silva - Irvin
Fedor - Sylvia
Arlovski - Rothwell
Barnett - Rizzo
Valesquez - O'Brien
Markem - Farber
Dolloway - Taylor
Nogueria - Dewees
I forgot to mention that KO. very nasty head kick. it looked like Farber had him hurt and back peddling and BAM! lgiths out with the head kick. very nice.

Silva said in a post fight interview that he may stick around in the 205lb class for awhile. that this wasn't just a one fight deal. be interesting to see if he can go back and forth from 185 to 205, because he said he also wants to continue to defend his 185lb title.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
The vast majority of people here appreciate both fighters.
Yup, and thank god.

The guy trying to discredit Silva above is embarrassing himself.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69 View Post

Silva said in a post fight interview that he may stick around in the 205lb class for awhile. that this wasn't just a one fight deal. be interesting to see if he can go back and forth from 185 to 205, because he said he also wants to continue to defend his 185lb title.
His manager Ed Soares (the guy who translates for him) has said in the past several week many times that Silva is always interested in defending his belt but at this stage in his career he always wants to fight big fights. My guess is that we'll see Silva up at 205 again, and if the opportunity presents itself down against GSP. They want big fights, and are open to all possibilities it seems.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 800
MMA - Dream 5 - Japan

vBookie events...

Lightweight
Shinya Aoki vs. Caol Uno
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Eddie Alverez
Joachim Hansen vs. Kultar Gill

Middleweight
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Welterweight
Kuniyoshi Hironaka vs. Motoki Miyayzawa

Old
07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Yup, and thank god.

The guy trying to discredit Silva above is embarrassing himself.
Discredit? The only thing I'll say about Silva is that he isn't and doesn't deserve the #1 p4p spot, that's Fedor's. Period.

Is Silva the #1 MW. yes. I just firmly believe that Fedor is both the #1 HW and p4p.

Try as you like you can't argue it away from Fedor, he's held it together longer, almost always fights bigger opponents, and has NEVER had a legitimate loss.

Old
07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post

Try as you like you can't argue it away from Fedor, he's held it together longer, almost always fights bigger opponents, and has NEVER had a legitimate loss.
That's the thing, I don't care about pound-for-pound rankings, in the end they are fantasy and mean nothing. Silva has run through everything put in front of him, and IMO the best middlweights are in the UFC. Personally I don't think Robbie Lawler, Frank Trigg, Kang, Akiyama, are better then Leites, Marquardt, Henderson, and Franklin.

I'd love to see Jacare in the UFC though.

Old
07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
His manager Ed Soares (the guy who translates for him) has said in the past several week many times that Silva is always interested in defending his belt but at this stage in his career he always wants to fight big fights. My guess is that we'll see Silva up at 205 again, and if the opportunity presents itself down against GSP. They want big fights, and are open to all possibilities it seems.
yeah, I saw that interview and I love how he always tries to speak a little English by thanking the crowd and all after Rogan is done asking questions.

Silva vs GSP would be amazing. Silva is just SO versatile, there are so many great match-up possibilities.

Old
07-20-2008, 05:13 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
That's the thing, I don't care about pound-for-pound rankings, in the end they are fantasy and mean nothing. Silva has run through everything put in front of him, and IMO the best middlweights are in the UFC. Personally I don't think Robbie Lawler, Frank Trigg, Kang, Akiyama, are better then Leites, Marquardt, Henderson, and Franklin.

I'd love to see Jacare in the UFC though.
Manhoef would be a fun fight too, it'd be interesting to see if Silva actually tried to stand with him or just tried to exploit his awful ground game. Mousasi has a ton of potential as well, especially considering he's only what, 23 or something.

There are still some good fights for Silva at 185 in the UFC though. I think Cote is going to get ruined but once Okami is healthy he provides a good matchup, and they basically have a couple guys on par in the grappling department with Jacare in Maia and Palhares.

edit: I dunno if I'm so hot on Silva vs GSP, personally... I think GSP would get his lunch handed to him. GSP vs Penn is a much better matchup if we're looking at champs fighting champs.

Old
07-20-2008, 05:57 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Manhoef would be a fun fight too, it'd be interesting to see if Silva actually tried to stand with him or just tried to exploit his awful ground game. Mousasi has a ton of potential as well, especially considering he's only what, 23 or something.

There are still some good fights for Silva at 185 in the UFC though. I think Cote is going to get ruined but once Okami is healthy he provides a good matchup, and they basically have a couple guys on par in the grappling department with Jacare in Maia and Palhares.

edit: I dunno if I'm so hot on Silva vs GSP, personally... I think GSP would get his lunch handed to him. GSP vs Penn is a much better matchup if we're looking at champs fighting champs.
Manhoef would be fun for sure, but I think Manehof is more of a journymen guy, like Miller though I think either can get on a good run.

Definitly still alot of good fights for Silva in the UFC, Maia, Palhalres, re-match with Henderson, Okai, Leites, Cote. A guy like Bisping as well.

I really couldn't care less about guys like Trigg and Lawler though, not a big fan of either.

Two guys I want are Zelg Gelisic and Jacare, love both these guys.

Old
07-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Feel The Rush

Quote:

Silva vs GSP would be amazing. Silva is just SO versatile, there are so many great match-up possibilities.
Yes and it's a dream fight for me but as much as i hate to say i fear that GSP would be no match for the Spider. I mean Silva is much bigger and stronger than he his and is capable of knocking the **** out of fighters one weight class above him with one punch (granted it was only Irvin but it still show how devastating Silva striking really is) so i can only imagine what he would do to a smaller guy like GSP. GSP would have to find a way to take him down or otherwise Silva would just knock the **** out of him me think.

Anyway , i think we're going to see Penn vs GSP II before that which could be just as good.

Old
07-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Wow, look at all these responses and new faces here. That's what a night like this will do.

I'll run down a few of my thoughts from last night.

It doesn't matter who you consider the top p4p fighter, both men cemented their legacies with amazing performances last night. Personally, I think Fedor is the best fighter of all time, and he'll go down as such, but Anderson really made a helluva'n argument with his victory last night.

-Buentello/Goodridge was horrible. How can two heavyweight "strikers" just sit there and play so passively for 3 rounds? Aleks would have toyed with either one for a minute or two before deciding that it would be nice to end the fight.
-The "Vitor of Old" is a recurring dream that MMA fans have been chasing for years. I think 185 is a good place for him, but after crying wolf for nearly a decade, he's going to need to produce more to convince me that he's a threat in any division. In a nutshell, I wasn't all that impressed all things considered.
-Lindland didn't look all that great either, I thought. I think age is starting to catch up with him. His striking has always been a joke as well, but apparently no one told him.
-Hominick, though in a winning effort, still looks pretty bad to me.
-Barnett, Arlovski, and Fedor. Who do you like next to fight? I think Barnett/Fedor Andrei/Aleks would be an ideal situation for me, if not Aleks/Sylvia. Regardless, I think as long as Fedor fights either of the two next, nothing else matters.
-Just like everyone else, I was very upset with the Johnson/Burns fight. What a horrible horrible job by Mazzagatti. At worst it should have been a NC, at best a DQ win for Johnson.
-Frankie Edgar is slowly becoming my least favorite fighter. Step aside Koschek.

The majority of the rest of my thoughts are in line with everyone else.

Oh, and Dave Mustaine looks like Kris Kristofersen. That's bad...

Old
07-20-2008, 07:57 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
yeah, I saw that interview and I love how he always tries to speak a little English by thanking the crowd and all after Rogan is done asking questions.

I personally would rather not see Silva vs GSP. That is unless people want to see GSP lose. Which is what I think would happen.

Old
07-20-2008, 08:00 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I think Fedor is the best fighter of all time, and he'll go down as such, but Anderson really made a helluva'n argument with his victory last night.
I completely agree. Not only is he the top P4P fighter but he could very well go down as the best MMA fighter of all-time, I don't think its a stretch to say that at all.

Rings champion, Pride champion, and now he's the WAMMA champion. Not only that but his record is extremely impressive, with one bogus loss on his resume. Fedor should be undefeated. He's also beaten some of the top fighters. The reason Fedor really stands out for me as the #1 P4P fighter is because he is about 6'0 tall and is constantly fighting as a HW against much larger opponents and he wins.

Old
07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post

It doesn't matter who you consider the top p4p fighter, both men cemented their legacies with amazing performances last night. Personally, I think Fedor is the best fighter of all time, and he'll go down as such, but Anderson really made a helluva'n argument with his victory last night.

You really have to wonder IF a fedor/ A Silva fight is plausible..

Silva looked a little plump at 205 - but I would bet Fedor could get down to 215 ish..

My highlight of the night?

Fedor playing cards before fighting.

I just laughed and laughed. All those boxing matches and UFC's they show guys hitting the pads and working up a sweat, and Fedor is playing hearts or something.. just LOL.

Classic.

Closed Thread