HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Official MMA Thread: Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

vCash: 500
I think Fedor would destroy Silva.

Old
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Man that would be cool if Fedor and Anderson met at 215 or 220 for a fight. What is Fedor tippin the scales at right now 230-235? I think it could be done...make it happen Dana.

Old
07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Boy, that Tim Sylvia sure does have fantastic striking.

Old
07-20-2008, 10:43 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
yes well, I was wrong. I thought Tim would have the edge in the stand up fight and I am here to admit I was wrong but I never claimed that Sylvia had 'fantastic' striking or anything even close to that. frankly, I have never even thought Sylvia was a top HW. I just thought Tim would be able to get his jab going enough to keep Fedor at a distance....and uh, that didn't work out to well.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:51 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Man that would be cool if Fedor and Anderson met at 215 or 220 for a fight. What is Fedor tippin the scales at right now 230-235? I think it could be done...make it happen Dana.
This would probably never happen, especially if Fedor was not signed to the UFC. Even if it did happen, I sincerely doubt Silva could hold a candle to Fedor. That's not taking away from Silva at all either, he's a world class, 'generational' fighter. He just simply isn't a heavyweight.

AA looked incredible in his fight against Rothwell. You could see he was hungry. Win or lose, I hope he continues to fight with that kind of confidence. He has always been one of my favourites.

Hopefully this WAMMA unification push that Affliction is driving towards with the other organizations gains some momentum, and really competes with the UFC. I'd like nothing more, from a fan standpoint.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:37 AM
KrazyTea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Fedor won't sign with UFC because he refused to give up his other fights and his Sambo fights as well. Dana generally only signs guys who commit solely to the UFC and don't fight in other cards besides UFC ones. Fedor will never do that, I don't believe he'll ever fight in the UFC, but if you throw enough money around, things can change awfully fast.

Old
07-21-2008, 01:05 AM
kurt
the last emperor

As many have already stated, I also felt the quality of production for the Affliction card was sorely lacking. Thankfully, the fights more than made up for it.

Fedor dominating Tim Silvia the way he did was the best thing that could have happened, in terms of entrenching the legitimacy of the promotion in the minds of relatively uneducated MMA fans.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the coming months.

Old
07-21-2008, 01:38 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Give me Fedor vs Barnett, I'd love to see Josh take a run at him. The fight versus Pedro was a fluke, that's not the Josh I know (and he asked me for directions so I should know! haha)

Couture vs Fedor isn't happening anytime soon. I'm not a D. White apologist by any means but when you sign a contract to fight X amount of fights over X amount of years and don't fulfill either of those, well then you don't deserve out of it.

Randy needs to go and fight Big Nog and then finish it up....

I'd love to see either Arlovski or Barnett, though I think Josh stands way more of a chance.

Old
07-21-2008, 01:51 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
Fedor won't sign with UFC because he refused to give up his other fights and his Sambo fights as well. Dana generally only signs guys who commit solely to the UFC and don't fight in other cards besides UFC ones. Fedor will never do that, I don't believe he'll ever fight in the UFC, but if you throw enough money around, things can change awfully fast.
Keep in mind he also wanted his full Red Devil Fight Club to have contracts as well.

I don't blame Dana for it at the time, it wasn't a worthwhile investment..... there's no telling what happens in a Sambo tournament, especially with one that is your TOP paid athlete. Unfortunately Fedor is an enigma and it's completely different with him.

Old
07-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Ducks

Fedor is just in charge of his own destiny. You've gotta admire that.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:34 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 800
Next in line for Silva, Patrick Cote.

I don't think Cote has a hope in hell.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:38 AM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
I think Fedor would destroy Silva.
I think so to, but let's just see what happens. I like watching Fedor just beat people at there own game. I think he would grab Silva in the air as he is delivering a flying knee and slam him into GNP then a sub.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:42 AM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Give me Fedor vs Barnett, I'd love to see Josh take a run at him. The fight versus Pedro was a fluke, that's not the Josh I know (and he asked me for directions so I should know! haha)

Couture vs Fedor isn't happening anytime soon. I'm not a D. White apologist by any means but when you sign a contract to fight X amount of fights over X amount of years and don't fulfill either of those, well then you don't deserve out of it.

Randy needs to go and fight Big Nog and then finish it up....

I'd love to see either Arlovski or Barnett, though I think Josh stands way more of a chance.
Barnett is rather slow, he better hope he takes Fedor down or it's going to be over really quick. Arlovski might be better because his is quick but rather reckless. Fedor would probably let him flail and after he tires deliver a hammer and GNP him. Randy maybe could wrestle with Fedor a bit but he lacks any finishing capability. These guys will have to come up with a new gameplan or Fedor will not be beaten anytime soon from what I'm seeing.

Old
07-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Wow, look at all these responses and new faces here. That's what a night like this will do.
-Frankie Edgar is slowly becoming my least favorite fighter. Step aside Koschek.
Agreed on both fronts.

I was very shocked to come in here and see all these new faces and posts, nice to see.

Edgar should be dropped to the WEC 145 division if he continues to just try and grind out fights. He'll be able to do it at will with his wrestling back ground, I feel for Hermes having to face a guy like that after over a year off (he did look good in the 3rd though).

Nothing further needs to be said on Fedor or Anderson, just WOW.

I don't think Randy stands much of a chance against Fedor, but I'll still pay to see it. I hope AA keeps it rolling cuz a dedicated AA poses the biggest threat in the HW division to Fedor, IMO.

I know Vera is taking alot of flack for his performance but we should cut him some slack and see how he does in his next fight at 205. He was completely gassed, it was obviously the cut. Cutting weight like that for the first time is a task anytime, when you factor in the "short notice" we should've saw it coming. When he gets the cut down he is going to be a force at 205, he is an absolute giant for that weight class.

Old
07-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69 View Post
yes well, I was wrong. I thought Tim would have the edge in the stand up fight and I am here to admit I was wrong but I never claimed that Sylvia had 'fantastic' striking or anything even close to that. frankly, I have never even thought Sylvia was a top HW. I just thought Tim would be able to get his jab going enough to keep Fedor at a distance....and uh, that didn't work out to well.
MEH, you are not the only one.

It was not an unreasonable suggestion that if there ever was a time, it was Sylvia and the timing vs Fedor which should have given him a chance..and I do not like Tim Sylvia's fight style.

Just wow. What a beatin.

Old
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I don't think Randy stands much of a chance against Fedor, but I'll still pay to see it. I hope AA keeps it rolling cuz a dedicated AA poses the biggest threat in the HW division to Fedor, IMO.
As we have all learned, never say never with Randy - but still.. I agree. Randy Couture should do himself and his legacy a favor, and not fight fedor. Fedor will route him.. the excuse "Couture is 2000 years old" will get bandied about, and thats just not right.

There is no way Randy will be able to match Fedors power shots, and I seriously doubt his GNP / wrestling will be able to keep Fedor at bay.

As for AA being the best chance at beating Fedor.. maybe. Best skill set in the heavys, but I still do not see him lasthing long with a guy who can throw bombs like that.

IMO - the best bet at beating Fedor is someone with serious heat in his hands, or perhaps Josh Barnett because of his awkward style.

ALL those fights would be great to watch though..

Fedor / couture
Fedor/ barnett
Fedor / aa

Old
07-21-2008, 09:17 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
As for AA being the best chance at beating Fedor.. maybe. Best skill set in the heavys, but I still do not see him lasthing long with a guy who can throw bombs like that.
Agreed. As much as I love Arlovski, I don't think he'd have much hope either.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:21 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Checked out a couple of the DREAM GP fights before heading out to work today. Wow. Kawajiri vs Alvarez was crazy, and the final was nuts too. Definitely try to catch the GP fights at least. (I haven't watched most of the other ones yet).

Spoil:
Please learn some sub defense Mark Hunt

Old
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
s613s

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Next in line for Silva, Patrick Cote.

I don't think Cote has a hope in hell.
No he don't

Irvin was a bigger and better striker than he was and look how it ended up. Cote is just not in the same class as Anderson and he's going to get pwned i'm afraid.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
As we have all learned, never say never with Randy - but still.. I agree. Randy Couture should do himself and his legacy a favor, and not fight fedor. Fedor will route him.. the excuse "Couture is 2000 years old" will get bandied about, and thats just not right.

Fedor / couture
Fedor/ barnett
Fedor / aa
I agree, a Fedor/Randy fight could get ugly real quick and I don't really want to see Randy be manhandled and then never see him fight again. The fight I want to see most out of Randy is in the UFC vs. Big Nog, a fight I think he'd also lose.

Fedor vs. Barnett and AA are fights I'd love to see in the future for sure. While I don't think either guy will beat him, I think they both have to the tools to push him to the 2nd/3rd round at the very least.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
kurt
the last emperor

I still haven't watched Dream 5 - I PVR'ed it, and I'll be watching it tonight. Can't wait. I also haven't seen many of the fights from the UFC event on Saturday, as I was watching the Affliction card. We did have a TV and Projector going at my buddy's place though, so I did see the Anderson Silva fight, and the Franca/Edgar fight. I'll be watching the rest of the fights at some point this week (I PVR'ed it as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Mark Hominick.. is bad. I've never seen a guy not able to get a triangle choke like that. He tried to pull down Young's head over and over WITHOUT locking in the triangle.. it was very frustrating to watch. Even the arm bar was weak as hell.
Just caught this comment, reading back through the explosion of posts in the thread... no kidding! That was frustrating to watch. Just terrible. I'm surprised he even got the tap with the arm bar, honestly. It looked pretty flimsy.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
Wow, . What a borderline troll post.

Whoever said that? And you still are dodging the last question. I can't stand Sylvia, boring as hell. But even Sunday morning he isstill a top 5 heavyweight.

Just finished watching Dream 5. Thoughts later as more people get the chance to watch.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Ike Thermite

I just caught the DREAM GP fights and man, that ended up being a crazy ride.

Spoil:
Hellboy!! Wow, can't believe he took down Aoki in the finals. It's a shame there was the questionable standup after the low blow but still a hell of a win. As happy as I am for Hansen, I'm really hoping Alvarez ends up beating him so we can get to see Aoki/Alvarez.

Old
07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
KrazyTea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig4 View Post
I just caught the DREAM GP fights and man, that ended up being a crazy ride.

Spoil:
Hellboy!! Wow, can't believe he took down Aoki in the finals. It's a shame there was the questionable standup after the low blow but still a hell of a win. As happy as I am for Hansen, I'm really hoping Alvarez ends up beating him so we can get to see Aoki/Alvarez.
DREAM is so awesome, love the grand prix's and glad they didn't fade after PRIDE was bought out.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
QuickDynamite

Dream was pretty good I watched it all last night. The Alvarez / Kawajiri fight was unbelievable, maybe even tops the Alvarez / Hansen fight. Alvarez is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters i've been enjoying watching him fight since he was a WW in Bodog but he's really made a name for himself in Dream.

I won't spoil anything now, because i'm sure alot of people are watching the replay and haven't seen it yet.

I also agree about Frank Edgar - Ever since his fight against Griffin when he continued to foul Griffin, grabbing the cage etc. and now with these sub par performances he's put on its hard to be a fan of him. He's just not a very exciting fighter to watch.

There are alot of guys right now who should be fighting at 145, and Edgar is definitely one of those guys. He's too small for 155.

Closed Thread