HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Never too early for predictions

Old
07-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

vCash: 500
Never too early for predictions

I'm sure there will be a bunch of threads like this popping up between now and October 4th but I just wanted to go on record with what I think the numbers that the Rangers will put up this season:

Gomez 16g-56a=72pts, 30PIM
Zherdev 27-38=65, 76PIM
Naslund 23-40=63, 20PIM
Drury 25-36=61, 40PIM
Redden 6-36=42, 52PIM
Dubinsky 14-22=36, 70PIM
Rozsival 12-24=36, 72PIM
Prucha 14-20=34, 30PIM
Dawes 15-18=33, 16PIM
Girardi 10-19=29, 24
Callahan 12-15=27, 50PIM
Fritsche 12-14=26, 80PIM
Kalinin 3-13=16. 32PIM
Mara 2-13=15, 56PIM
Staal 4-10=14, 40PIM
Betts 4-6=10, 20PIM
Rissmiller 4-6=10, 40PIM
Sjostrom 6-2=8, 18PIM
Pock 3-4=7, 12PIM
Voros 2-5=7, 85PIM
Orr 1-1=2, 175PIM
Potter 0-0=0, 4PIM

Henrik 36-25-8, 2.23GAA, .915SVPCT, 8 SHOs
Vally 6-5-2, 2.73GAA, .911SVPCT

Rangers 42-30-10, 215GF, 192GA, 94PTS, sixth in the Eastern Conference

That's my take on the 2008-09 New York Rangers. Kind of crazy for this time of year to make these predictions but I'm just throwing it out there. Let's hope we get as good a scoring balance as I predicted. That would be nice. I actually think we'll score more than last year because our PP will be better. But we'll also give up some more because we have players who will be out of position more than last year as they learn Renney's system.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Seems like everyone is going to do the same thing that they did last year.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Seems like everyone is going to do the same thing that they did last year.
Consistency is key. Let's hope they do as good or better but with Renney's "defensive" system in place I think the Rangers would have to be in the Top Ten of the PP rankings to make a significant improvement.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Potter must really suck if he manages 4 PIM in 0 games.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Potter must really suck if he manages 4 PIM in 0 games.
it never said GP(Games Played) it said G(Goals). its just mis-communication.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:38 PM
DontStepanMe

that seems to be quite realistic. I think Girardi might be on the high side, and Zherdov will get closer to 70-75 pts but overall good job.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:44 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I think most of those stats are a little on the low side.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Black Tank

I can't go into that level of detail but for me the whole season hinges on the following factors:

1) Can Zherdev and Naslund score goals? Not pretty plays, not "hits the post again", not "boy, he's due" or "he's got a monkey on his back" etc, etc. Will they put up numbers on the scoreboard? If not, then we'll be lucky to make the POs.

2) Is the power play going to be as poor and as easy to defend as last year? If so, we're in big trouble and Renney is in big trouble.

3) Is Redden going to be the disaster that many people in OTT believe he's become? Or will the change in scenery and hopefully a calmer and more professional locker room give him the support he needs to be a star again? If the latter, then the Rangers D could be leagues better than last year and make Lundquist shine even brighter, which I believe will happen.

4) How long before the new faces are assimilated and chemistry develops? With the brutally competitive Eastern conference we can't wait for another super spring to get in . . .

I think all cylinders will fire this year after last year's early disappointments and we're going to be very good, especially in light of the lowered expectations.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:13 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

seems about right.
I would like to see Dru, Prooch, Dubi, and Cali get a few more points.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Matt

Depending on who he plays wioth, he should be around 40 Pts. You are too high on Zherdev. At best he will be in the 60's. Nik will have more give aways than points. Nik's highest point total was 07/08 at 61 his +/- was -9.In 06/07 Fritsche was given a chance to show some offense and was on track for a 40 point season when is wrist was cut and put him out for the season. Last year Hitch had him concentrate on defense and he still was on track for a 30/35 point season when his hand was broken. He was a +2 and +3 in those years. That was the best +/- of all the Columbus forwards. Z has always had a high -. -9 was the best he has been since he entered the league.

Last edited by Matt: 07-19-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:58 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Depending on who he plays wioth, he should be around 40 Pts. You are too high on Zherdev. At best he will be in the 60's. Nik will have more give aways than points. Nik's highest point total was 07/08 at 61 his +/- was -9.

Think some of the Columbus fans' anti-Zherdev stuff should be put in perspective...

Looking at the lineups from Columbus GDTs for the past season, it seems Columbus' second line usually consisted of one of the following:

Chimera-Malholtra-Zherdev

Chimera-Novotny-Zherdev

Chimera-Peca-Zherdev

Zherdev - Peca - Vyborny

Zherdev-Novotny-Vyborny

Now let's put Zherdev's 26g, 35a, 61p, -9 in better perspective:
Malholtra: 11g, 18a, 29p, -3
Chimera: 14g, 17a, 31p, -5
Peca: 8g, 26a, 34p, -8
Vyborny: 7g, 19a, 26p, -8
Novotny: 8g, 14a, 22p, -10

Maybe Zherdev sucks.

Maybe his success or failure in Columbus had something to do with his linemates. You forget, we know of Manny Malholtra's offensive prowess.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:45 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

Think some of the Columbus fans' anti-Zherdev stuff should be put in perspective...

Looking at the lineups from Columbus GDTs for the past season, it seems Columbus' second line usually consisted of one of the following:

Chimera-Malholtra-Zherdev

Chimera-Novotny-Zherdev

Chimera-Peca-Zherdev

Zherdev - Peca - Vyborny

Zherdev-Novotny-Vyborny

Now let's put Zherdev's 26g, 35a, 61p, -9 in better perspective:
Malholtra: 11g, 18a, 29p, -3
Chimera: 14g, 17a, 31p, -5
Peca: 8g, 26a, 34p, -8
Vyborny: 7g, 19a, 26p, -8
Novotny: 8g, 14a, 22p, -10

Maybe Zherdev sucks.

Maybe his success or failure in Columbus had something to do with his linemates. You forget, we know of Manny Malholtra's offensive prowess.
I wish we still had Malhotra.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
I wish we still had Malhotra.
If Malholtra was taken for what he is, rather than what the Rangers needed him to be, he could have definitely served a role with the team. I see him as a definite upgrade over Betts as the fourth line center, but not necessarily justified at his higher price tag, especially in the cap situation the Rangers are in.

Malholtra is not, in any sense of belief, a top 6 forward. Criticizing Zherdev as no better than a 40 point player, when he scored 61 points playing a significant portion of the season with Malholtra is blatant reverse-homerism in my opinion.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

A Jackets' fan here...

I like Fritsche and at times I like Zherdev. I'm a season ticket holder and I think I watched all the games last year (including the 10:30 EST starts from the west coast).

Having said that, Nik would have had far more assists if someone other than Chimera was on his line. Nik would toss a beautiful pass his way, and Chimera would miss the net. Or Nik would start to dangle just outside the blue line while Chimera (one of the fastest guys in the NHL) would be headed straight ahead into the offensive zone (I want to know if Chimera lead the league in offside calls last year). Those two just weren't on the same page last season.

But, I can't begin to count the number of times last season when Nik would pass when I thought he should have shot it or shot it when he should have passed it.

If he gets paired with someone on the "same page", Nik's numbers will improve (potentially dramatically).

Also, Nik played on our first PP unit last year. He would usually end up on the 1/2 wall on the left. He'd be the one with the puck looking to make the passes. But our PP sucked last year. I'm not blaming Nik for that at all, I'm blaming coaching. We didn't have a PPQB and no one would plant himself in the crease. They also tended to just stand around a lot, almost no puck movement.

If you have a better PP than we did last year, Nik's numbers could improve more.

I can't wait for the Rangers/Jackets game in October. I'll probably hop over here fairly often to check on Nik and Danny too.

Concerning Manny...

He did his job when paired with Zherdev. He'd win the faceoff and cover defensively. Nik would be the puck carrier on the line. That was true regardless of Nik's center.

Zherdev and Novotny had some chemistry early in the season before Novotny got hurt (I think a concussion). Novotny didn't produce later in the season the same way he did in the beginning.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:50 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
A Jackets' fan here...

I like Fritsche and at times I like Zherdev. I'm a season ticket holder and I think I watched all the games last year (including the 10:30 EST starts from the west coast).

Having said that, Nik would have had far more assists if someone other than Chimera was on his line. Nik would toss a beautiful pass his way, and Chimera would miss the net. Or Nik would start to dangle just outside the blue line while Chimera (one of the fastest guys in the NHL) would be headed straight ahead into the offensive zone (I want to know if Chimera lead the league in offside calls last year). Those two just weren't on the same page last season.

But, I can't begin to count the number of times last season when Nik would pass when I thought he should have shot it or shot it when he should have passed it.

If he gets paired with someone on the "same page", Nik's numbers will improve (potentially dramatically).

Also, Nik played on our first PP unit last year. He would usually end up on the 1/2 wall on the left. He'd be the one with the puck looking to make the passes. But our PP sucked last year. I'm not blaming Nik for that at all, I'm blaming coaching. We didn't have a PPQB and no one would plant himself in the crease. They also tended to just stand around a lot, almost no puck movement.

If you have a better PP than we did last year, Nik's numbers could improve more.

I can't wait for the Rangers/Jackets game in October. I'll probably hop over here fairly often to check on Nik and Danny too.

Concerning Manny...

He did his job when paired with Zherdev. He'd win the faceoff and cover defensively. Nik would be the puck carrier on the line. That was true regardless of Nik's center.

Zherdev and Novotny had some chemistry early in the season before Novotny got hurt (I think a concussion). Novotny didn't produce later in the season the same way he did in the beginning.
Sounds eerily familiar.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:55 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Depending on who he plays wioth, he should be around 40 Pts. You are too high on Zherdev. At best he will be in the 60's. Nik will have more give aways than points. Nik's highest point total was 07/08 at 61 his +/- was -9.In 06/07 Fritsche was given a chance to show some offense and was on track for a 40 point season when is wrist was cut and put him out for the season. Last year Hitch had him concentrate on defense and he still was on track for a 30/35 point season when his hand was broken. He was a +2 and +3 in those years. That was the best +/- of all the Columbus forwards. Z has always had a high -. -9 was the best he has been since he entered the league.
You are too high on the stat +/-. While its an interesting stat to look at, some people view it a the be all, end all number, while its just not the case.

Old
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Sounds eerily familiar.
I just looked this up. Your PP % was a whopping 16.5 compared to our spectacular 14.9%. That would be 22 and 26 in the NHL respectively.

Old
07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
You are too high on the stat +/-. While its an interesting stat to look at, some people view it a the be all, end all number, while its just not the case.
Nik's defensive game improved dramtically last year. He was blocking shots (on occasion - which he NEVER did before), and would back check some as well. One thing that he improved was how he would react when he would lose the puck.

On occasion (enough to be noticable) in 06/07, when Nik would lose the puck, he would end up staring at the sky like "why me?" and not bother to react to try to "fix" the situation. Last season, when he would lose it, he would actually try to get it back instead of just standing around being disgusted.

I just hope you guys end up with a happy and motivated Nik Zherdev. That would be best for all parties involved.

Old
07-19-2008, 09:06 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Nik's defensive game improved dramtically last year. He was blocking shots (on occasion - which he NEVER did before), and would back check some as well. One thing that he improved was how he would react when he would lose the puck.

On occasion (enough to be noticable) in 06/07, when Nik would lose the puck, he would end up staring at the sky like "why me?" and not bother to react to try to "fix" the situation. Last season, when he would lose it, he would actually try to get it back instead of just standing around being disgusted.

I just hope you guys end up with a happy and motivated Nik Zherdev. That would be best for all parties involved.
Your insights are greatly appreciated...given your comments my initial desire to see nik paired up with gomez has waned a bit and now i'm thinking drury may be a better linemate. who do you think would be a better center for nik, drury, gomer or dubinsky?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Your insights are greatly appreciated...given your comments my initial desire to see nik paired up with gomez has waned a bit and now i'm thinking drury may be a better linemate. who do you think would be a better center for nik, drury, gomer or dubinsky?
I have no idea. You see, the best center the CBJ have ever had was probably Andrew Cassells (I'm not counting Fedorov since we didn't have the Detroit version.)

See, we in Columbus aren't sure what a "good" center looks like. So it makes it hard to judge others.

In 06/07 (I think) Fedorov called out both Nash and Zherdev for essentially being puck hogs. He said something along the lines that they both needed to trust that if they passed the puck, they would get it back (give-and-go type situations).

Nik needs to be paired with someone he can "trust" to get the job done. If he gives a linemate opportunities and the linemate doesn't produce (in the past) Nik has stopped trying to utilize that linemate and tried to do it all himself.

Skill sets aside (since I don't know Ranger players that well) Nik needs to mesh with his linemates (maybe more so than other players do). I don't know who he will mesh with and trust.

He likes to carry the puck over the blue line. Then again, that was on a team which the coaching staff barely trusted anyone to do that. If he had a linemate that would charge the net (and actually hit it when given the opportunity) that might work well. Nik can thread the needle, but the guy on the receiving end needs to be able to do something with it.

Old
07-19-2008, 11:24 PM
NYR Viper

well.....im bored, so im going to take a stab at this

the line-up i expect to see this year:

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller
orr, prucha

redden-staal
girardi-rozsival
kalinin-mara
pock

naslund: 32g 40a = 72pts
gomez: 15g 60a = 75pts
zherdev: 30g 45a = 75pts
dawes: 22g 32a = 52pts
drury: 32g 35a= 67pts
fritsche: 20g 25a= 45pts
callahan: 15g 10a= 25pts
dubinsky: 15g 30a= 45pts
sjostrom: 13g 20a= 33pts
voros: 8g 5a = 13pts
betts: 2g 5a= 7pts
rissmiller: 12g 15a= 27pts(4 shorthanded points)
orr: 1g 1a= 2pts.......130pim
prucha: 10g 8a=18pts

redden: 18g 35a= 53pts
staal: 3g 15a= 18pts
girardi: 12g 18a= 30pts
rozsival: 20g 25a= 45pts
kalinin= 10g 14a= 24pts
mara= 15g 15a= 30pts
pock= 2g 4a= 6pts

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

One thing that many people dont take into account is the coaching. Tom Renney has some special ability to motivate players and get them to buy into his overall system. If you can get Jagr to back check, Im sure he can help motivate Zherdev. Put on top of that a center (no offense to the Jackets) that has some real top 2 line skill and we should have a solid, successful Zherdev.

Old
07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Gomez- 17 G, 57 A- 74
Drury- 28 G, 39 A- 67
Naslund- 31 G, 29 A- 60
Zherdev- 36 G, 40 A- 76
Dawes- 19 G, 25 A- 44
Prucha- 24 G, 15 A- 39