HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Halak is..

Old
07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
If Halak is..

If Halak is... outperforming Price in his starts early the season, do you think he could win the starters job?

Or is the Montreal Canadiens organization going to give the ball to Price, no matter what..?

I guess the question becomes, how long would it take for management to give the nod to Halak over Price?

REMEMBER...

This is not a thread to question whether or not Halak is better than Carey Price, yet just a thread with some general wondering about the situation (Halak playing better than Price). So please don't turn it into that kind of thread..

Thanks.

Discuss.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:37 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Let's spend time with what is rather than what could be..

(Then this message board would be boring.)

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

as an outsider, i could see halak getting a fair share of starts early. trying to keep price good and fresh all around and showcasing halak early.

this way if they need a trade chip at the deadline to bring in help (for injury or a hole in the team) they can develop one in halak.

then they can probably bring in a vet goalie via trade to back up price in the playoffs.

just my speculation. but i think halak was told he'd get some starts or i am not sure he would have signed.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If Halak is... outperforming Price in his starts early the season, do you think he could win the starters job?

Or is the Montreal Canadiens organization going to give the ball to Price, no matter what..?

I guess the question becomes, how long would it take for management to give the nod to Halak over Price?

REMEMBER...

This is not a thread to question whether or not Halak is better than Carey Price, yet just a thread with some general wondering about the situation (Halak playing better than Price). So please don't turn it into that kind of thread..

Thanks.

Discuss.
It's not as ground breaking as you make it sound. If Halak is playing well and Price is struggling, maybe give Halak a couple of starts in a row...that's a tool the coach has to push his starting goalie.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:46 PM
znk

Will depend on how solid Price looks. If he looks shaky I could see Halak getting his fair share of games.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

REMEMBER...

Thanks.

Discuss.
Rolan Melanson was interviewed during the rookie camp about Price and Halak, said that he was confident Price would come back in great shape but also said that there was no guarenteed spots on the team, the best will play no matter the position and that is a phylosophy shared by the entire coatching staff and management.. So they want a fair competition between players fighting for ice time.. Personally I wouldnt be surprised to see Halak play about 25-30 games this year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Sthabs

I see Halak getting fair share of start too for reasons mentioned above and because there s no real rush to have Price as the #1, I mean I understand we all want him as the #1 for years to come, but is there a real reason for rushing him no matter what and not try to develop him at his pace?
I think it ll be a 52/30 kind of split,but depending on how they play it might change a little,
Personally if halak playes well and get less than 25 starts, I ll be disappointed.
We also need sure to m,ake sure to not repeat last year mistake and keep him fresh for the PO.

Sthabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:01 PM
BigTimer*

If Halak earns the starting spot in training camp and pre-season, he'll get it.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:22 PM
tiredman

Unless Halak really outperforms Price at the training camp and Carey plays very bad, Halak won't start the year in nets.

However, if they start with Price and the team isn't winning at the start of the season, Halak will be given the chances to prove he can do better. Remember in the playoffs against the flyers ? Price was mediocre => Carbo gave Halak the chance to play; I'm sure he's not affraid to do the same thing next year.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Uwey

Make no mistake about it, this is now Carey Price's team & if Halak gets to play as #1 it will only be in short runs, unless Price is seriously injured.

Think back to last season, Halak was Carbonneau's choice to backup Huet, thus he wqas overruled by TT & Gainey.

Carbo rides Huet as his #1 for two thirds of the season, only to see Gainey trade Huet & force him to go to Price as the teams #1 goaltender down the stretch & into the playoffs.

Gainey wants Price as his #1 & until the time comes down the road in years to come that proves Gainey was wrong, Price will be the Habs #1 tender. I suspect by that point that Halak will be nothing more than a distant memory to most of us.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:34 PM
airlouche

IMO, Price will have all the chances he need to prove he's the chosen one...But, if Halak is dominant and better than Price, he can become our number 1. It's not impossible, both are young and really good. Let's see who grab the spotlight, this will be really interesting to follow.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

All this Halak talk... i dont know but:

1- I Marc Denis does well in Hamilton

2- If a team needs a good goalie at the trade limit

If these two conditions arise, i see Gainey shoring the Defense or getting a big center at the trade deadline if Sundin goes to the Nucks.

Either way, i dont see Halak finishing the year with us, he's a great trade bait and a lot of GM's remember a guy named Tomas Vokoun who did pretty well for himself even if he was a MTL backup.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:09 PM
le_sean

Nah I believe it's Price's job no matter what. The Habs management can say what they want but they invested so much into Carey (5th overall, hyped up, made him starter last year) that they will either live or die by him. That's my opinion.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
UWHabs

Price will start game 1 of the playoffs. As for the 82 games before that, I don't know, and I don't care how they split them.

UWHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

REMEMBER...

Thanks.

Discuss.
If Price has a poor start and he gives way to Halak for a few games, it wouldn't be a permanent move. He has far more potential than Halak. He went 12-3 after Huet was traded, 7 straight wins in his last 7 games. That's simply way above Halak's niveau.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Gousse

carbo and gainey has always liked goalie competition .. so if halak is overperfoming Price, he would get more start than Carey

Gousse is offline   Reply With Quote