HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is my opinion.......

Old
07-22-2008, 01:42 PM
jaywills1020

vCash: 500
This is my opinion.......

Ive been reading a lot of the posts here lately and I figured I would give my opinion. Im no expert but I call it like I see it and this is JUST MY OPINION.

Shanny bashing- I have to ask the guys that bash him a question. Do you play hockey? If you do you should know that its not all about goals. Sure he isnt what he used to be BUT who was the guy he fought last year? Why did he fight him? Its called leadership. You have to respect him on every level.

Jagr- Does anyone agree with me that this guy not getting signed was a good thing? Not only has his production dropped but he is NOT a captain, loses the puck on a consistent basis, doesnt really stick up for teammates, and my biggest problem is he doesnt shoot on the power play. 2 years ago he was setting up at the top of the circle taking those one timers and what did he do.....broke the goal record.

Redden and Naslund signings- Why put so much money into these 2 guys? Im not 100% sure but isnt Kovalchuk a ufa soon? I know who id rather have on my team. Im sure theres a ton of guys that will be ufa in the next year or 2, so why pump so much into these guys? Also people praise the Naslund signing because he brings veteran leadership to the team. Check this out. Last year Naslund had 55 point in 82 games. Shanahan had 46 points in 73 games. Pretty even until it comes time to get physical.

Avery- Bad move not to sign him. Plain and simple. The guy takes a lot of penalties but he draws them more then he takes them. Whos going to get under Brodeurs skin this year? Whos going to get right in the middle of everything if somebody takes a run at one of our players?

Sather- This guys sucks. "If I had the Rangers payroll I would be winning Stanley Cups" Obviously not Glen. Instead of parting with a guy like Avery we should part with Sather. He lives on a reputation of his 1980s Oilers teams. Honestly what has HE done that we should all love him for? I like the Zherdev trade a lot but that wont make me jump on his side of the line just yet. If your going to sign some body to a 6 year 30+ mill contract try and sign a guy thats younger then 30 so when he starts to decline he wont be 37 or 38 years old like Redden. Jagr, Naslund, Shanny, Straka, all great players but it wouldve been a lot nicer to have them when they were in their prime.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Agreed Shanny shouldn't be bashed but he also should not be signed, let's move on.

Jagr was great for 2005-06 and then gave diminishing returns, it was time to go.

Naslund/Redden, I think Naslund was a decent signing but Sather will regret signing Redden for six years. By year four he will be as slow and as useless as Kasparaitis was.

Avery was a distraction just like Jeremy Shockey was for the NY Giants. You can't win when you have these egomanical types on your team. Notice how the Giants caught fire when Shockey went down. Without egos like Jagr and Avery on the team this Rangers team will be closer knit and hopefully better for it.

As far as Sather goes I think he's a bit nutty. He hasn't won a thing since the late 80s and won't deal with any GMs other than the guy he knows. Too bad J.D. didn't take the Rangers job back in 2000. We would be a lot better off than we are now.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
jaywills1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Too bad J.D. didn't take the Rangers job back in 2000. We would be a lot better off than we are now.
Oh man I thought I was the only one who wanted JD here. I agree with that 100%

Old
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

That's not to say that Sather hasn't done a good job building up the farm system with guys like Henrik, Prucha, Tyutin, Callahan, Dawes and Girardi (FA) all contributing to the team. But I think had J.D. been the GM from 2000 on I don't think we would have pursued trades for guys like Lindros and Bure or saw Leetch get traded from the only organization that he ever wanted to play for. I do believe that if another GM came in when Sather came in the Rangers might be in a better position today. Because they would have been in rebuilding mode from Day One of the 2000-01 season.

The Rangers did not have to bring Messier back in 2000 to save the franchise. At age 39 did anyone really believe the Rangers were winning another Cup during his career? I didn't. Sather wasted four more years from 2000-04 trying to remain competitive while rebuilding, a plan that never works.

And who's to say that if we were really bad in 2002, 03 and 04 that we couldn't have come up with a Top 5 draft pick that really would have made a difference here. How would Dion Phaneuf (#9 overall in 2003), Ovechkin or Malkin (#1 and #2 2004) or Sidney Crosby (#1 2005) look in a Rangers uniform today? How do you think teams rebuild in this day and age? They suffer through a couple of down years, get high draft picks to grab future stars and then build around them with other draft picks and free agents.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Jay -

Dont fully agree about Shanny, even though he has leadership skills, I want this team to be Drury, Gomez's an Hanks. I havent been bashing him, but his skills have diminished.

Jagr - Couldnt agree more.

Redden and Naslund - Rangers needed a defenseman and had to overpay to get one. I'll have to reserve judgement until after hes played a while. But i thought it was crazy the second it happened.
Naslund i have a soft-spot for and im happy they got him. Moving away from Jagr, Shanny, Straka, etc and signing Naslund was more about a change in direction than anything else. Not totally upset with the 2 year deal, id rather have him here than Sundin or Jagr.

Avery - from a fans perspective, absolutely agree he will be missed. From the team perspective I have to disagree. He didnt fit financially or behaviorally. If the Rangers are trying to groom these kids into solid players who buy into a system and treat the media and fans around them with respect, this is not the guy to have around, not to mention the father figure Shanahan is not around to rope him in. Compare Graves to Avery. I have no problem if the Rangers decision hinged partly on that comparison and how they want their organization to speak for itself.

Sather - Everytime i want to crucify this guy he makes a deal that makes me think twice. But the overspending and shortsightedness is something thats a given with him. I'm pleased the direction he took this offseason (especially letting Jagr walk) but he continues to confuse me with deals like Voros and Rissmiller. Not every GM is perfect and his tenure here has been less than stellar. The drafting has been better of late, but his management (Montoya) of his assets havent. I wouldnt mind a change of scenery in the GM seat as well, but i can live with it until a true suitor is available. Who would you hire right now?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:17 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

I agree with pretty much everything said in the first post. The only thing i think differently is Jags. Our team now has the opportunity to grow because its not based on his needs. I think he was a great player for us, when he wanted to be. Fans are so PO'd at him because he "saved himself for the playoffs." At least thats why i was angry at him

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
I agree with pretty much everything said in the first post. The only thing i think differently is Jags. Our team now has the opportunity to grow because its not based on his needs. I think he was a great player for us, when he wanted to be. Fans are so PO'd at him because he "saved himself for the playoffs." At least thats why i was angry at him
?!?! everyone strives to play better hockey in the playoffs. its not like he was taking less shifts or was a healthy scratch and then got back in, in time for the playoffs.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
eco's bones

Main problem with losing Jagr is I don't think Naslund is going to be much of a replacement and Zherdev strikes me as Kovalevian. This team as of now is no lock to make the playoffs. As anemic as our offense was last year--I think it's going to get worse and that we are really going to have to be a defense oriented team to succeed.

As for those bashing Shanahan--let those who are going to bash, bash away if it makes them feel better. Who really cares? Shanny did his job but he can no longer keep up--it was time for us to let him go.

I hated losing Avery.

Drury, Roszival, Redden are all good players but they are not elite. They are all being paid way too much. Gomez is a bit overpaid but not as much and one can see is still a productive at the end of his contract. Lundqvist is the one big contract who is actually worth the money and the years.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Main problem with losing Jagr is I don't think Naslund is going to be much of a replacement and Zherdev strikes me as Kovalevian. This team as of now is no lock to make the playoffs. As anemic as our offense was last year--I think it's going to get worse and that we are really going to have to be a defense oriented team to succeed.

As for those bashing Shanahan--let those who are going to bash, bash away if it makes them feel better. Who really cares? Shanny did his job but he can no longer keep up--it was time for us to let him go.

I hated losing Avery.

Drury, Roszival, Redden are all good players but they are not elite. They are all being paid way too much. Gomez is a bit overpaid but not as much and one can see is still a productive at the end of his contract. Lundqvist is the one big contract who is actually worth the money and the years.
The main problem is people think that Naslund is being brought in to be a replacement for Jagr....HE IS NOT JAGR'S REPLACEMENT!!!!! Naslund is a piece in a new offensive system. he is not here to replace Jagr. If that is what people label him as he is going to get alot of crap if he isn't producing 80+ points. Naslund is a piece to the puzzle....not the whole puzzle. He is in no way Jagr's replacement.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Näslund has - except when being paired with the Carrot twins - been on some horrible line combos the last 2-3 years out west
When with the Sedins - he had a very nice point production
When not - very meager results
He is a very moody guy
With Gomez/Drury and Zherdev I think he may some find new wind under his wings
could be ppg season if he gets off on the right beat
If not - he will be booed like the new Malik
We shall see

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post
Ive been reading a lot of the posts here lately and I figured I would give my opinion. Im no expert but I call it like I see it and this is JUST MY OPINION.

Shanny bashing- I have to ask the guys that bash him a question. Do you play hockey? If you do you should know that its not all about goals. Sure he isnt what he used to be BUT who was the guy he fought last year? Why did he fight him? Its called leadership. You have to respect him on every level.

Jagr- Does anyone agree with me that this guy not getting signed was a good thing? Not only has his production dropped but he is NOT a captain, loses the puck on a consistent basis, doesnt really stick up for teammates, and my biggest problem is he doesnt shoot on the power play. 2 years ago he was setting up at the top of the circle taking those one timers and what did he do.....broke the goal record.
I'm not a Shanny "basher" but... You condemn bashing Shanny but in the next sentence bash Jagr. Jagr is a hall of famer too you know, who doesn't understand hockey now?

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:33 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The main problem is people think that Naslund is being brought in to be a replacement for Jagr....HE IS NOT JAGR'S REPLACEMENT!!!!! Naslund is a piece in a new offensive system. he is not here to replace Jagr. If that is what people label him as he is going to get alot of crap if he isn't producing 80+ points. Naslund is a piece to the puzzle....not the whole puzzle. He is in no way Jagr's replacement.
Take it however you like--the Ranger offense had one elite player last year and was still anemic. Now they have none and we're just filling in pieces of puzzles. Whatever. Let me ask you then is he going to be a 55 point first liner?--because the Rangers are going to need a first line winger who will at least be close to being a point a game player. The Penguins are already way ahead of us on the offensive end with Crosby and Malkin. We're not going to be able to compete with that firepower and whether people like it or not losing Jagr is a blow to the offense.

Old
07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Redden and Naslund signings- Why put so much money into these 2 guys? Im not 100% sure but isnt Kovalchuk a ufa soon? I know who id rather have on my team. Im sure theres a ton of guys that will be ufa in the next year or 2, so why pump so much into these guys? Also people praise the Naslund signing because he brings veteran leadership to the team. Check this out. Last year Naslund had 55 point in 82 games. Shanahan had 46 points in 73 games. Pretty even until it comes time to get physical.

Avery- Bad move not to sign him. Plain and simple. The guy takes a lot of penalties but he draws them more then he takes them. Whos going to get under Brodeurs skin this year? Whos going to get right in the middle of everything if somebody takes a run at one of our players?

Sather- This guys sucks. "If I had the Rangers payroll I would be winning Stanley Cups" Obviously not Glen. Instead of parting with a guy like Avery we should part with Sather. He lives on a reputation of his 1980s Oilers teams. Honestly what has HE done that we should all love him for? I like the Zherdev trade a lot but that wont make me jump on his side of the line just yet. If your going to sign some body to a 6 year 30+ mill contract try and sign a guy thats younger then 30 so when he starts to decline he wont be 37 or 38 years old like Redden. Jagr, Naslund, Shanny, Straka, all great players but it wouldve been a lot nicer to have them when they were in their prime.
OK first, Jagr's production has dropped but he still put up a good amount of points last season and I'm sure every other team in the NHL would have loved to have added that production to their roster if he hadnt gone over to russia. Secondly on him, if you did watch the games this past season he did actually stick up for his teammates plenty of times. One game that comes to mind is the game in Carolina when Gomez was cheap shotted and Jagr jumped right in the scuffle. He was our best player in the playoffs..please get your mind right.

Naslund- He was a 2 YEAR SIGNING!!! You make it seem like we just signed this veteran to a 5 year deal with loads of money in him but we didnt. He's still a great player and he IS a good leader, and he wil help this team next year. You say, just sign Kovalchuk like its set in stone that he'll make it to free agency. C'mon get a piece of reality here. HE IS THE FRANCHISE FOR ATLANTA. He puts people in the seats. If Hossa or Heatley were, they wouldnt have traded the two, and they would have made a better effort to re-sign Hossa. You cant bank your organization on the possibility of guys possibily making it to free agency. One example would be Vinny L...Everyone was saying yeh we'll sign Vinny when he becomes a free agent but then look what happened. He's the face of the franchise for Tampa Bay. They dealt Boyle and Richards so they can keep him.

And I dont know what Naslund's point production has to do with his leadership or what it has to do with Shannys point production

And you wanted to give Avery $3 million???? C'monnnn watch a game. Pests come and go in this league. I loved Avery, but no pest is worth $3 million. He doesnt score goals. I mean sure he does here and there, but he misses the net more than anyone i saw on last years team at least when it comes to golden opportunities because he cant finish. I applaud Sather for not caving in. By no means did he deserve $3 million.

And please Sather does not suck

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:

I hated losing Avery.

rozsival aint worth 5 mil let alone 4 mil. id give rozsival 3.5 at most. way overpaid.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
rozsival aint worth 5 mil let alone 4 mil. id give rozsival 3.5 at most. way overpaid.
Give Rozsival 3.5 per? Then you wouldn't have Rosie at all. He may be overpaid and you may not want him, but I'm just saying. I'm pretty sure Sather had a good idea what Rosie would command/was commanding in terms of offers from other teams, so I'm sure that he received what the market dictated.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Take it however you like--the Ranger offense had one elite player last year and was still anemic. Now they have none and we're just filling in pieces of puzzles. Whatever. Let me ask you then is he going to be a 55 point first liner?--because the Rangers are going to need a first line winger who will at least be close to being a point a game player. The Penguins are already way ahead of us on the offensive end with Crosby and Malkin. We're not going to be able to compete with that firepower and whether people like it or not losing Jagr is a blow to the offense.
The fact a team has no elite players doesn't mean anything. Look at teams that have 1 elite player. Atlanta (Kovalchuk), Tampa Bay (Vinny), Columbus (Nash), Washington (Ovechkin). All 4 of these teams have been close to the bottom of the standings at least until recently. Having a bunch of very good players that work in a system to score as a unit and rely on each other is much better than relying on 1 person and centering the whole offense around them for production.
And just because a team like the penguins has more firepower, a good defensive game will stop them. Besides, they lost some firepower with Malone and Hossa leaving.
But Naslund has a chance to be that ppg player again. Is he going to achieve that level? I have no idea but he definitely has the ability to be that kind of guy if he has a good playmaker like Gomez. 55 points should be a piece of cake for Naslund on the Rangers considering he scored 55 points for a truly anemic offense like Vancouver's.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
jaywills1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I'm not a Shanny "basher" but... You condemn bashing Shanny but in the next sentence bash Jagr. Jagr is a hall of famer too you know, who doesn't understand hockey now?
what do you mean by "who doesnt understand hockey now"? i didnt say if you bash someone you dont understand the game. i said the things he brings to the table are valuable. IF you play the game then you would know what i was talking about. something else i forgot...how many shoot outs did shanny help us win? a LEADER was taking the shots not saying that hes not good at it. a LEADER was trying to keep avery in check.

Jagr68NYR94Leetch-i used kovalchuk as an example which is why i wrote "i sure theres tons of guys that will be ufa in the next year or 2"
as for avery yes pests come and go in this league. but show me another pest that puts in 20 goals a year and draws as many penalties as avery did. if our pp was what it should be then we would have done a lot better then we did. cmon guys we all watch the games and saw what the rangers records were with avery in the lineup and without him in the lineup. you cant see paying him 3 million a year but can you see paying redden 6? year in and year out we shell out money to high priced older ufa players. im just saying instead of shelling out 6 to redden and whatever naslund got, put it towards a younger guy that will be in his prime the WHOLE TIME HES A RANGER and not just the last 3 years of his career.

again guys this is just my opinion.

Old
07-23-2008, 12:05 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The fact a team has no elite players doesn't mean anything. Look at teams that have 1 elite player. Atlanta (Kovalchuk), Tampa Bay (Vinny), Columbus (Nash), Washington (Ovechkin). All 4 of these teams have been close to the bottom of the standings at least until recently. Having a bunch of very good players that work in a system to score as a unit and rely on each other is much better than relying on 1 person and centering the whole offense around them for production.
And just because a team like the penguins has more firepower, a good defensive game will stop them. Besides, they lost some firepower with Malone and Hossa leaving.
But Naslund has a chance to be that ppg player again. Is he going to achieve that level? I have no idea but he definitely has the ability to be that kind of guy if he has a good playmaker like Gomez. 55 points should be a piece of cake for Naslund on the Rangers considering he scored 55 points for a truly anemic offense like Vancouver's.

Once Jagr went out of their picture I don't think Naslund was a bad gamble (2 years at 4 mil is not too bad) but I'm not convinced that he's not simply on the decline. The other thing about Jagr was he was a beast or a physical player by default who could wear defenses down just by ragging the puck. He did not have a good season but even so his was a better season than our 3 biggest UFA signings--Redden, Rosizival and Naslund. As for the Pens they are not only by a wide margin a better offensive team but they're a bigger and more physical team as well. Jagr would have kept the gap closer in both those respects.

Old
07-23-2008, 02:50 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
what do you mean by "who doesnt understand hockey now"? i didnt say if you bash someone you dont understand the game. i said the things he brings to the table are valuable. IF you play the game then you would know what i was talking about. something else i forgot...how many shoot outs did shanny help us win? a LEADER was taking the shots not saying that hes not good at it. a LEADER was trying to keep avery in check.
Jagr68NYR94Leetch-i used kovalchuk as an example which is why i wrote "i sure theres tons of guys that will be ufa in the next year or 2" as for avery yes pests come and go in this league. but show me another pest that puts in 20 goals a year and draws as many penalties as avery did. if our pp was what it should be then we would have done a lot better then we did. cmon guys we all watch the games and saw what the rangers records were with avery in the lineup and without him in the lineup. you cant see paying him 3 million a year but can you see paying redden 6? year in and year out we shell out money to high priced older ufa players. im just saying instead of shelling out 6 to redden and whatever naslund got, put it towards a younger guy that will be in his prime the WHOLE TIME HES A RANGER and not just the last 3 years of his career.

This leader crap is bullsh*t....I think Shanny is a great presence in the lockerroom, he's been around the game a long time and he's won stanley cups. But what youre saying is way off especially when it comes to comparing him to Jagr. Do you forget the shootouts Jagr did take in the beginning when this new rule was in place? Do you forget how many times he broke his stick? Do you forget how many times he didnt score in the shootout? Jagr did what he thought was right by his team by not participating in the shootout because he knew it was a weakness of his so why waste an attempt on him. I can not fault him for that at all.

And another thing, the Shanny coddling Avery. They have a history together. Shanny knew Avery in Detroit and they're friends. Why in the world would Jagr be the one to watch over Avery??? Of course Shanahan is gona be that guy, thats not Jagr's place. If those are your two points for why Shanny is such a good leader and why Jagr isnt, then you just lost a lot of leverage in your arguement here.

To you're comment about the next couple of years Free Agent market, I know Kovalchuk is an example BUT again I shall point out that you cant bank your organization on possible future Free Agents, especially the elite ones. Not many team's let their franchise players walk to free agency. I dont know who you expect to get but this day in age with the salary cap it looks less likely you will see a Kovalchuk hit the FA market. Because this day in age, teams will move their lesser players to keep their big gun. Look at the guys that have been recently locked up: Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Vinny L, etc. You simply can't go that route, that would be an awful job of managing.

No one here is saying they didnt want Avery back. We all did, we all wanted that 20 goal scorer who got under other team's skin. But with that said, HE STILL IS NOT WORTH 3 MILLION. And thats the point. There is a salary cap and you have to judge what everyones value is. Avery is just a pest and yeh he put up 20 goals, but he can be replaced. We had a glaring need for a scoring defenseman who can quarterback the powerplay. So yeh maybe Redden doesnt deserve $6 million but he had one bad year and has been very productive throughout his career, and thats what the Rangers needed more than Avery. Sather wanted to make sure he had redden so he may have offered a little much but I think its worth it. Same with Roszival. Now our defense is going to be one of the best in the league.

And you still dont know what Naslund got. And I guess you ignored the fact that its only a 2 year deal. If you can find someone younger to give that money to who is gona put up the points Naslund will then show me that guy because I dont know of that player who is available.

One last point. You talk about how Avery is so valuable, but in your own post you give a big reason as to why he's not worth $3 million, "a LEADER was trying to keep avery in check." No player at the age of 26, 27 should have to be kept in check. I'm sorry but again Avery was still not worth the $3 million

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Jagr was great for 2005-06 and then gave diminishing returns, it was time to go.
26 pts in 20 playoff games is diminishing returns eh? I wonder what good is then. Wayne Gretzky in his prime?

People just give Jagr crap because they just have this image in their mind from what the Pittsburgh and Washington media created. Why don't people give the same crap to Drury, a guy who wanted out in Calgary? Why don't they give the same crap to Shanny, who basically tore the Blues locker room in half with what he did to Janney?

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:

I don't think I need to clarify... but I will anyway. You suggest that bashing Shanny means someone doesn't know hockey. Then you go ahead and bash Jagr, a player who had an equally great career AND is playing at a higher level than Shanny. It doesn't seem to add up, Jagr brings something to the table to you know. And, I like how you add in the "IF you play the game" then I would know what you're talking about. News flash, I play the game, I've played it for years and your point still makes little sense to me, if your point is that Shanny should never be criticized but Jagr sucks.

Shanny at this point is a 3rd line contributor, Jagr is a first line talent even now. Yet bashing Shanny in any way is blasphemy but you go into great detail about why Jagr was not worth resigning and all of his flaws. Shanny had his flaws too, mainly skating now, and that is fair to point out.

So, if you are going to put out your opinion, leave it at that, don't hide behind the "if you disagree with me you don't know hockey because I know hockey." That's not a very good argument and quite uninviting for anyone to disagree with you.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:32 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

JJ on washington's cap support was worth keeping, but with a new contract all paid by NYR I think the money is/was better spent elsewhere.

Naslund should be able to pot 50-60 points assuming he clicks with gomez, but there is more upside assuming the PP improves.

Redden could be a bad contract in the long term, but having watched him play I think he will be a vital cog for the NYR. Perhaps he was mentally checked out of Ottawa ? who can say for sure but the same situation appears to have happened with Ray Emery who is a world class goalie.

Avery was offered a large contract but took slightly more (about a million which ain't slight) to play in Dallas. If he really wanted to be part of something in NY he could have taken less and played in Gotham, but can you blame him ?

Slats ? as long as he doesn't sink the ship I think he has done an adequate job. Considering how another GM COULD have sunk the franchise I would give him a high C or low B. I am waiting for Callahan and Dawes and a few others to pan out before giving him a final score.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
He's top 10 in goals among d-men, and around 20th in ice time and points, and you honestly feel the most he's worth is what Rathje, Poti and Schultz are paid? Rozsival was one of the top d-men on the open market this season, in a pretty thin market ... he was gonna get good coin here or somewhere else.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
He's top 10 in goals among d-men, and around 20th in ice time and points, and you honestly feel the most he's worth is what Rathje, Poti and Schultz are paid? Rozsival was one of the top d-men on the open market this season, in a pretty thin market ... he was gonna get good coin here or somewhere else.
It's JOrts. It seems to be lost on him that the real NHL doesn't operate like NHL 08 or EHM.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
eco's bones

Look at it this way 3 years from now Roszival will have 1 season--Redden 3 seasons to go. Most likely by that time Staal will be beyond any doubt at all our best d-man. Hell he may be that by the end of 08-09. I would think Sanguinetti will have made the team by then and will possibly be No. 2. Girardi also (if he's still around) may be a better player than either of those 2. To be honest I think Girardi is as good as Roszival is right now--given the fact that he's more physical, more reliable at his position and doesn't take penalties. I see both of our top wage earning d-men being bypassed by younger players as their contracts play out. Keeping in mind in that 3 year period that Sauer should also be in the NHL and possibly even Del Zotto.