HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

2009: Best Free Agent class yet?

Old
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Caniac12

vCash: 500
Hossa and Gaborik will both go to Boston.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
viach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Yes, let's hope Bouwmeester gets traded to Pittsburgh and signs with Detroit in the offseason. I like it!
I prefer he signs with Colorado !!

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
NYR have $40M+ committed to 9 players. Pittsburgh has $41M+ on 11 players with Staal as an RFA. There are reasons to believe that the cap may not rise much next year. How do they fit in a guy like Gaborik who would likely command $8M+.
They were prepared to pay Hossa 7.5 million. 8+ next year for Gaborik is possible. Though he will likely end up taking less if he signs with Pittsburgh, the Penguins aren't the type to outbid for one's services.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Dallasman

If Bouwmeester is really a UFA next year, I expect Dallas to make a bid for him. Zubov won't be around much longer and Dallas was looking at Wade Redden this past year. They could make a huge push for him in fact because they may also lose Boucher as well.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
why'd you bold afinogenov. he blows. and isnt Staal and Kovalchuk FA's also next year?
Staal is RFA. Kovalchuk does not become UFA until 2010.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
NYR have $40M+ committed to 9 players. Pittsburgh has $41M+ on 11 players with Staal as an RFA. There are reasons to believe that the cap may not rise much next year. How do they fit in a guy like Gaborik who would likely command $8M+.
If the cap raises to 6 mil next year they will make a bid for him. They have 2 mil in dead cap space right now, so next year it'll be basicly a 8 mil add. and you obviously have no clue about either team, since Pittsburgh were going to give hossa a big long term contract, as the rangers offered him one also.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Staal is RFA. Kovalchuk does not become UFA until 2010.
yeah i wasnt sure. thanks for clearing it up.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
emb24*

isles fans can dream all the want about komisarek - as hab fans dreamed of vinny. fact is he isn't going 'home' to the mess that is the NYI. further he has already stated his desire to stay in montreal AND has been quoted as saying he doesn't like the idea of playing at home. too many 'distractions'

gainey won't let him get to UFA. he has tremendous loyalty to Bob, Gillette and the habs since the days of his mother's passing and the org's support of him and his family

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:00 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Sedins, Zetterberg, Gaborik, and Komisarek will all be locked up for a long time with their current respective clubs before July 1.
Gaborik might try to open market even if Minnesota offered him 8 million per year. Hes tired of the trapping system.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Mortal Fear*

Added Tanguay and Svatos to the list.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:37 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Gaborik would fetch Hossa like 8 year offers worth 8+million per.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:46 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I'll bet half the players listed by the OP are signed before July 1st, 2009.

I think next year, all the defensemen will go to Tampa Bay. And in 2010, all the goaltenders will go to Tampa and in 2011... they finish last again.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Pascal

Pretty sure Komi will re-sign in Montreal this season on a 5-6 yr contract. Gainey really doesn't want him to go and I think Mike enjoys playing here. I also think he's slotted to be our next captain when Koivu retires or leaves. Down the road tho I could see Komi going to the Isle.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Until most of them sign during the season and it won't be as interesting.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
i can name two teams who i think will pursue him hard. NYR and PITT.
By getting rid of who...Wade Redden (hardy har har). Markus Naslund. Repeat ad nauseum. The Rangers have blown their load, time to see if it was worth it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
State of Hockey

We'll never see a better free agent class than 2005, unless the makeup of the league changes. Every subsequent year has been weaker.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicknastycullen8 View Post
Cole will be back in Carolina at a cap friendly contract, 3.5-5 million.
hahaha, I really doubt that. I think Cole will re-sign with Edmonton for around 4.5 - 5 mill.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Gaborik would fetch Hossa like 8 year offers worth 8+million per.
Edmonton would be ready to offer him that.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
keoviero

Quote:
thats because rangers fans dont think before they speak.. i bet u any amount of $ that the rangers will be "rumored" / "in the hunt for every guy on that list" thats just what they do.. butim pretty confident they wont be able to get any of them because like you said they've tied up 40+ mill. in 10 players

keoviero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
keoviero

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
isles fans can dream all the want about komisarek - as hab fans dreamed of vinny. fact is he isn't going 'home' to the mess that is the NYI. further he has already stated his desire to stay in montreal AND has been quoted as saying he doesn't like the idea of playing at home. too many 'distractions'

gainey won't let him get to UFA. he has tremendous loyalty to Bob, Gillette and the habs since the days of his mother's passing and the org's support of him and his family
well i know for a fact that his dad really wants to have his son be closer to him... i know this because ive spoken with his dad and have seen mike at the local body shop his father owns... so lets see he can love montreal all he wants but the isles arent anywhere near the cap, wang will overpay for him.. and mike said to me and my friend that he'd love to be closer to home for his dad. so dont think that the city of montreal has something to offer that NYC doesnt.

keoviero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 12:28 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles39 View Post
well i know for a fact that his dad really wants to have his son be closer to him... i know this because ive spoken with his dad and have seen mike at the local body shop his father owns... so lets see he can love montreal all he wants but the isles arent anywhere near the cap, wang will overpay for him.. and mike said to me and my friend that he'd love to be closer to home for his dad. so dont think that the city of montreal has something to offer that NYC doesnt.
euhhhh i search for a word but i dont remember.... yeah i found! we say TALENTED TEAM

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles39 View Post
we'll see how 'close to home' playing for the worst run franchise in the NHL, in a rat hole building with a team ranked 30th in attendance. guess we'll see how much mike likes that.

lecavalier also mentioned to many in montreal he wanted to come here, he wears beliveau's no.4 and 'dreamt' of returning home. that didn't work out to well either.

what's most ironic about your comments are you make it sound montreal is San Jose or something. Long Island is like 45 minutes by plane from montreal.

btw mike's also given interviews where he says he doesn't like playing close to home; doesn't like the distractions and likes the separation of playing somewhere else.
his GF is also from montreal.
did he tell you that too?

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
The list of names is staggering:

D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Hossa
Gaborik
Zetterberg
Havlat
Cammalleri
S. Koivu
Tanguay
Svatos
Bouchard
Cole
Kovalev
Afinogenov
Lehtinen
Comrie
Pahlsson
Franzen
Connolly

Zubov
P. Boucher
Bouwmeester
Ohlund
Kuba
D. Morris
Spacek
Beauchemin
Komisarek

Khabibulin
Gerber
Biron

Obviously a lot of those players will re-sign with their original teams, but the ones I put in bold I think are likely to move, and even just those players are an amazing class, even betgter than in 07. And it would be really insane if there was a surprise like the Sedins or Komisarek moving.

Also there may be a few others that I mised, especially current RFAs going to arbitration
Of the aforementioned, I only see maybe Bulin, Spacek, Bouwmeester, Hossa, Gaborik, Boucher, and maybe Pahlsson having less than a 50% chance of resigning.

Most of that is because the team simply doesn't have the money to resign them. Very few players a team wants to keep end up hitting the market. Unless it's cap constraints (Hossa, Gaborik) or organizational issues (Bouwmeester)

I'd even venture to say that it's a weak class of UFA's coming up compared to last year at this time.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:22 PM
MarryMarner

Bouwmeester to the leafs will happen. He has stated many times he would love to play in Toronto.

Kubina
Tlusty
Ponikarovsky

for

Bouwmeester

may seem like crap but this is excactly the type of trade that would happen.

Antropov-Sundin-Kulemin
Blake-Steen-Ponikarovsky
Hagman-Stajan-Grabovski
Mayers-Moore-Bell

Kaberle-McCabe
Bouwmeester-Finger
Stralman-Colaicovo

Toskala
Joseph

Leafs sign Bouwmeester, let Antropov and Ponikarovsky go to UFA. Next year pick up Gaborik and Svatos.

Next Years Line-Up.

Kulemin-Steen-Gaborik
Blake-Stajan-Svatos
Hagman-Grabovski-Tlusty
Earl-Mayers-Bell

Kaberle-McCabe
Bouwmeester-Schenn
Finger-Stralman

Toskala
Pogge

MarryMarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They all look like the best class ever until half the players are re-signed.
No kidding.

Some of the names on this year's list:

Forwards: Ovechkin, Crosby, Thornton, Iginla, Spezza, Heatley, Marleau, Bouchard, Brunette, Sakic, Sundin, Forsberg, Brown, Hossa, Filppula, Getzlaf, Perry, Williams, Kobasew, Ruutu, Langkow, Huselius, Wolski, Ribeiro, Stillman, A Kostitsyn, Legwand, Erat, Dumont, Comrie, Hunter, Rolston, Naslund, Fisher, Vermette, M Richards, J Carter, Satan, Michalek, Boyes, Backes, Malone, Prospal, Vrbata, Hagman, Steen, Demitra, Bernier, Semin, Federov

Defence: Lidstrom, Zubov, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Green, Weber, Suter, Bieksa, Burns, Campbell, Hainsey, Wideman, Pitkanen, Regehr, Seabrook, Redden, Roszival, Liles, Visnovsky, Gilbert, Schultz, Klein, Kloistinen, Streit, Smith, Coburn, Orpik, Sauer, D Boyle, R Blake, Jackman, Carle

Goal: Lundqvist, Leclaire, Lehtonen, Kiprusoff, Huet, Kolzig, Theodore, Halak, Ellis, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Mason, Toskala

There are some pretty big names on there.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote