HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Final results TOP 25 Montreal Canadiens prospects Summer 2008

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2008, 07:37 AM
  #1
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!
 
didouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Final results TOP 25 Montreal Canadiens prospects Summer 2008

1. Max Pacioretty Drafted 22nd overall in 2007
2. Ryan McDonagh Drafted 12th overall in 2007
3. Jaroslav Halak Drafted 271st overall in 2003
4. Kyle Chipchura Drafted 18th overall in 2004
5. Ryan O'Byrne Drafted 79th overall in 2003
6. Ben Maxwell Drafted 49th overall in 2006
7. Pavel Valentenko Drafted 139th in 2006
8. P.K Subban Drafted 43rd overall in 2007
9. Alexei Yemelin Drafted 84th overall in 2004
10. David Fisher Drafted 20th overall in 2006
11. Yannick Weber Drafted 73rd overall in 2007
12. Danny Kristo Drafted 56th overall in 2008
13. Matt D'AgostiniDrafted 190th overall in 2005
14. Mathieu Carle Drafted 53rd overall in 2006 (Tie Breaker was necessary)
15. Ryan White Drafted 66th overall in 2006
16. J. T Wyman Drafted 100th overall in 2004
17. Maxim Trunev Drafted 138th overall in 2008
18. Greg Stewart Drafted 246th in 2004
19. Olivier Fortier Drafted 65th in 2007
20. Shawn BelleDrafted 30th overall in 2003 by the St-Louis Blues

21. Greg Pateryn
22. Niklas Torp
23. Brock Trotter
24. Steve Quailer
25. Andrew Conboy

Discuss.... see ya in 2 weeks guys! Going on vacation!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
  #2
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,017
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Paquet and Missiaen don't even make the top 25, lmao. That's half of our contract max right there.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:54 AM
  #3
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,734
vCash: 500
I bet none of them would crack the Canucks top 25.















David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:55 AM
  #4
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,017
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I bet none of them would crack the Canucks top 25.














Or their top six. STEVE ****IN' BERNIER

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
  #5
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 500
BERNIER

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:27 AM
  #6
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Paquet and Missiaen don't even make the top 25, lmao. That's half of our contract max right there.
Not really, we have prospects who aren't under contract... ie Emelin, Trunev in Russia; and all the NCAA boys (Fisch, McD, Kristo, etc) as well as the CHL guys we haven't signed yet (Weber, Subban, Missiaen, Fortier, etc)

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:28 AM
  #7
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Yessir

The Canucks are such a deep team, Max Pacioretty would have to wait 8 years before a spot would be open.

And their Defense? Which apparently is in the same stratosphere as Anaheim and Detroit, wouldn't have room for McDonagh until he's well into his 30s. That good.












JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
  #8
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 500
Just like Jeff Finger!

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:45 AM
  #9
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,017
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Not really, we have prospects who aren't under contract... ie Emelin, Trunev in Russia; and all the NCAA boys (Fisch, McD, Kristo, etc) as well as the CHL guys we haven't signed yet (Weber, Subban, Missiaen, Fortier, etc)
No, no, not what I meant. If hypothetically all were signed, that'd be half our contract max. Just saying that we have half the max in quality prospects, our pool is so deep that it's exciting. Not that all will succeed, of course.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:00 AM
  #10
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Paquet and Missiaen don't even make the top 25, lmao. That's half of our contract max right there.
Paquet is mind-boggling, but not as much as Fortier at 19...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:31 PM
  #11
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
I am really impressed with this... Seriously... Way to go Timmins!

The good thing is that with this pool of prospects, we can already conclude that the Canadiens will be competitive for several years, just like the Detroit Red Wings. Even if we lose some players via the free agency market, can't complete the club because of salary cap, or contact issues... They're always going to be some players ready to show up.

This is.. awesome!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
  #12
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,338
vCash: 500
I don't understand why everyone's drooling all over Montreal's prospect list.

Sure, it's wonderful that there's a good amount of depth of players that could make the team, but there aren't a whole slew of core, impact players on that list.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
  #13
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't understand why everyone's drooling all over Montreal's prospect list.

Sure, it's wonderful that there's a good amount of depth of players that could make the team, but there aren't a whole slew of core, impact players on that list.
Most of our young core players are already on the big team..

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:55 PM
  #14
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Most of our young core players are already on the big team..
Exactly. Consider Price, Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn, Mike Komisarek, and Chris Higgins as core players.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
  #15
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't understand why everyone's drooling all over Montreal's prospect list.

Sure, it's wonderful that there's a good amount of depth of players that could make the team, but there aren't a whole slew of core, impact players on that list.
The first ten on that list have an excellent chance of being good regular players in the NHL. The first 3 on that list have a chance to be core stars (not superstars..). Add that to the recently graduated kostys, Pleks, Price & to a lesser extent Lats/Higgins/Komi this team has a phenomenal crop of young talent.

If this team were a middle of the pack team with alot of aging players (read: Toronto) then I'd probably agree that the prospect list alone wouldn't be enough for optimism. With the current MTL team, however the idea of introducing 1 or two quality prospects to our line up every year makes the future very bright.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
  #16
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Paquet is mind-boggling, but not as much as Fortier at 19...
If it was only me Fortier would be behind Quailer Torp Peteryn and maybe Conboy.

Fortier is #1 in the face-off circle, but as for the rest of his game it's average.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
  #17
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't understand why everyone's drooling all over Montreal's prospect list.

Sure, it's wonderful that there's a good amount of depth of players that could make the team, but there aren't a whole slew of core, impact players on that list.
Thats the same line I heard in years past when discussing the likes of Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Kostitsyn.

Heck, they were called average prospects in another board.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
  #18
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Most of our young core players are already on the big team..
Also the highest drafted player was 12th overall, pretty damn good list considering we haven't had the highest selections.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:20 PM
  #19
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Thats the same line I heard in years past when discussing the likes of Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Kostitsyn.

Heck, they were called average prospects in another board.
Okay, but what does that matter? If I said it was an average prospect pool, then your post would make sense. But I didn't. I felt it was a very strong prospect pool and, if you look at my post history, I was touting Plekanec and Higgins well before they cracked the AHL even. And once in the AHL, I said Plekanec was going to surprise people and Higgins would crack 30 goals.

I was always happy about Komisarek, and a little ambivilant on Kostitsyn.

Regardless, that has no bearing on the current discussion which is the prospect pool right now.

Tell me: why do you feel it is so impressive?

I would agree there are many players that are potentially NHL-bound, but the true testament to a prospect pool's quality is developing impact players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Most of our young core players are already on the big team..
Yes, I'm aware of that. So why is this prospect pool so impressive? If you want to say: oh, wow, our current team is so young! ... Well, I'd agree, but that has nothing to do with the prospect depth, which is not spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
The first ten on that list have an excellent chance of being good regular players in the NHL. The first 3 on that list have a chance to be core stars (not superstars..). Add that to the recently graduated kostys, Pleks, Price & to a lesser extent Lats/Higgins/Komi this team has a phenomenal crop of young talent.

If this team were a middle of the pack team with alot of aging players (read: Toronto) then I'd probably agree that the prospect list alone wouldn't be enough for optimism. With the current MTL team, however the idea of introducing 1 or two quality prospects to our line up every year makes the future very bright.
Fair, but still: the prospect list is not impressive, you admit, unless we take into account the youth in the NHL already.

When I look at this prospect list, I like what I see: Pacioretty and McDonagh I expect to be impact players. Chipchura I see as an excellent third-line center capable of 45-55 points. I'm not high on O'Byrne or Maxwell, but feel the latter has potential to be an impact player. I like Valentenko. Subban is raw. Yemelin is a question mark, given his status. I like Fischer more than most, but him cracking the top four with be a bonus more than an expectation. The rest are all wild cards, IMO, and unlikely to be impact players.

So even though I like the list, and I'm higher on some of the players than other people, I see Pacioretty, McDonagh and Chipchura as the only likely impact players. And then when we discuss those three, I'd say only Chipchura has an almost sure-fire shot of being an impact player, with Pacioretty being likely, and McDonagh (even though I voted him as our #1 prospect) is a little more of a wild card since he has a fair bit of development to do still.

And while I'm quite fond of players like Torp, when I see a good portion of Montreal's fan base drooling at having players like him, Pateryn, et al. ranked around 20th ... well, it doesn't make sense. Sure, these guys look solid, but they're still long shots. And they were late-round picks in recent drafts. Considering every team has 7 or so picks, a mid to late rounder in recent drafts should always be ranked around 20th on a team's prospect list just by the numbers...


Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-20-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
  #20
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Okay, but what does that matter? If I said it was an average prospect pool, then your post would make sense. But I didn't. I felt it was a very strong prospect pool and, if you look at my post history, I was touting Plekanec and Higgins well before they cracked the AHL even. And once in the AHL, I said Plekanec was going to surprise people and Higgins would crack 30 goals.

I was always happy about Komisarek, and a little ambivilant on Kostitsyn.

Regardless, that has no bearing on the current discussion which is the prospect pool right now.

Tell me: why do you feel it is so impressive?

I would agree there are many players that are potentially NHL-bound, but the true testament to a prospect pool's quality is developing impact players.
I am not going to question your knowledge...Championships are won from the back end out...and if you notice Gainey has been drafting a significant amount of Defencemen. Valetenko, Webber, Subban, McDonough, Emelin (he'll get here once his contract is done, I hope!). These kids are hardly 'average', in my opinion, they are 'swinging for the fences' so to speak.

Of the forwards, I expect Pacioretty to be a top 6 forward once his developed in the minors...I also expect Chipchura to play a Significant role on this team, I expect him to anchor the third line for years to come. He seems perfect for this role.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:39 PM
  #21
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that. So why is this prospect pool so impressive? If you want to say: oh, wow, our current team is so young! ... Well, I'd agree, but that has nothing to do with the prospect depth, which is not spectacular.
Tampa Bay is an example of why you need excellent drafting. They went from being a Stanley Cup champion built around their "big three" and a couple years later they are one of the worst teams in the league because they had most their payroll spent on Richards, VL and St. Louis which forced them to end up having to sign AHLers like Jason Ward and end up having Johan Holmqvist in net since they didn't have any prospects to fill those needs.

Sure we don't have many "elite" prospects but in the next couple of years we will have guys like Carle, Valentenko and possibly Yemelin step up and possibly play with the big club, after that we will have more guys challenging for roster spots such as McDonagh, Fischer, Subban and Weber... not only will these young players save us cap space as we won't have to overpay for UFA defenceman to round out our defense corps, we will be able to remain very competitive as there will be a strong amount of competition which will force players to step up their game.

Also guys like Latendresse, Higgins, Lapierre for example will need to keep trying to improve because other players like Chipchura, D'Agostini and even Pacioretty might impress enough to challenge for their roster spots.

There will always be a high demand for young defenceman so even if we do need to go and grab an elite forward or top pairing defenceman we will be able to package some of our prospects or draft picks as it won't hurt us since we are already deep with depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
And while I'm quite fond of players like Torp, when I see a good portion of Montreal's fan base drooling at having players like him, Pateryn, et al. ranked around 20th ... well, it doesn't make sense. Sure, these guys look solid, but they're still long shots. And they were late-round picks in recent drafts. Considering every team has 7 or so picks, a mid to late rounder in recent drafts should always be ranked around 20th on a team's prospect list just by the numbers...
Streit, Halak, Sergei Kostitsyn and even Greg Stewart were all picked extremely late in drafts, seeing Timmins' draft resume even though some of our newer late rounders may be long shots I think we have good reason to "drool" at some of these guys.


Last edited by Andrighetto Fabolous: 07-20-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.