HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: What comic book character/series would you like to see on the big screen?

Old
07-21-2008, 12:05 AM
pox

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pox
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seventh Man View Post
Preacher
i though they where going to do a HBO mini series about it, but i hope it get to the be screen.... or at least a move of the Saint of Killers

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Wow you exists.. i didnt think there was a single person alive that liked the first Punisher.

personaly i hope they do Punisher 2 right and cut out all the romance bs they try to put into the first one and make him a stright up cold mother****ing killing machine, who spends sunday afternoons sniping muggers in Central Park
If you've ever seen the TV show Rome, the guy playing Punisher was Titus.

It's going to be good I hope, unlike the first pile of crap. That wasn't even remotely close to a real version of the Punisher.

Also.. they should make a New Mutants movie, So I can get attached to the characters and have them killed real quick! When I was like 8 I picked one comic to start following... haha wrong choice. X-Force turned out good, also I really liked X-factor when Havok was in control. Havok >>>> Cyclops.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Afterglow

Send a message via MSN to Afterglow
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
The first Punisher was crap, it had horrible directing and a very poor script. The fact that idiots voted it as high as it is on imdb shows how little they know about comics and a good movie.

The 2nd Punisher has a better direction, a stronger script and don't diss an actor just because you haven't heard of him. Go get a copy of Rome (the mini series) and then post back in this thread about how you feel about the Punisher 2 movie.

As a big comic book fan, i like that they went this route with Castle, they're portraying him the way he should've been. Yeah he goes all good and in some comics he even becomes the next Captain America (fellow comic book geeks will get that). But Punisher 2 is how the movie should've been made.

It's much like Hulk being remade - it had a horrible direction to it and poor script, the actors were fine but the script and directing weren't. Re-do it with a strong script and better director for that sort of film genre and you have The Incredible Hulk reborn the way it should've been.

Hold your opinions about P2 till you see it. Ray Stevenson is a damn good actor. Not to mention, he makes Thomas Jane look diminutive compared to Ray's stature (Jane is 5'10'', Stevenson is 6'4'' and the character of Frank Castle is 6'1''), Ray makes Frank look and feel more imposing on the big screen just from the previews of it. I'm pretty stoked to see it and i'm a big Batman fan that isn't that big of a marvel fan but i collect both and others anyway.
First off, whether YOU felt the first Punisher was crap or not, that doesn't mean that it necessarily was. I liked it and I'm entitled to my opinion. Not everybody's an avid comic book reader (not that there's anything wrong with that at all). I'm not one who has read the comics, but I still enjoyed the movie.

I already stated in this thread that I thought Thomas Jane did a poor job of portraying Frank Castle. I said that I felt John Travolta did well as Howard Saint and that the movie really became neat when Castle tries to ruin Saint's life. So I'm a sucker for revenge stories...sue me

NOWHERE did I say that I thought Ray Stevenson would be crap as the Punisher, nor did I say that the movie would be crap. I'm going off what I felt was a weak theatrical trailer. I have seen Rome and actually think Stevenson may be a pretty solid choice. The fact that he's a relatively talented bigger actor in a film industry that is virtually devoid of bigger, more talented actors is a breath of fresh air.

Your seal of approval on P2 gives me hope that it will revive a character that I already thought intriguing, so thanks for that. Just don't go jumpin all over me for liking a movie when I don't know "how it's supposed to be made". Appreciate it.

Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Spawn

They should make a Superman movie based on the Red Son graphic novel. They never would, but I thought it was amazing.

Basically its a what if Superman as a baby landed in the USSR, and then becomes the champion for communism.

They obviously never would make a Superman movie where he was a communist, but never really being a Superman fan, I thought it was a fantastic read.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Unleaded

There were very few Heroes that got me really interested in comics while I was growing up. Now, Villains on the other hand... I would be muchmore interested to see some movies centring on some of the darker superviallains. My favourite growing up was always Magneto (argueably not really a villain), but he's been so badly butchered by the X-Men movies, I don't know if that would work now.

Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Scrodo Baggins

I haven't heard what the new Wolverine is supposed to be about but it would be cool if they started on the Omega Red storyline.

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Aquaman would be cool. He could swim around kind of like finding Nemo. Maybe have Shia Le Boeuf play him.

Also, the Flash would be good. Maybe have him run superfast saving people then fight one or two enemies. Shia could also play him.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pete View Post
Aquaman would be cool. He could swim around kind of like finding Nemo. Maybe have Shia Le Boeuf play him.
It's already been done with Vincent Chase, directed by James Cameron.

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
There were very few Heroes that got me really interested in comics while I was growing up. Now, Villains on the other hand... I would be muchmore interested to see some movies centring on some of the darker superviallains. My favourite growing up was always Magneto (argueably not really a villain), but he's been so badly butchered by the X-Men movies, I don't know if that would work now.
They are supposed to be making a Magneto origin story movie.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Star Wars: Legacy

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:12 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Watchmen looks ok but if Alan Moore isnt happy with how Hollywood destroys the context of his books, why bother? they took out some of the best panels in V. and he hates what they did to League.

Frank Miller's Dark Knight series made like Sin City / The Spirit is the way to go. 1,000 times cooler than the crapola they make now for Batman movies. also, Killing Joke would be decent.

Grant Morrison's The Invisibles would be awesome. maybe. probably not.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing stuff. Jason Woodrue shredding everyone.

thats about all the comic book stuff i cared to read.
maybe comic stories with big name actors and cheesy computer FX gets old. do something new visually already.
I think Frank Miller is working on The Watchmen project so he'll keep it honest to the comic. The preview looked very promising.

Woah there, you didn't like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight? They were both incredible!

Someone earlier mentioned that Captain America, Thor, and Ant Man are being made by Marvel Studios. And after that we're getting an Avengers movie with all of them and Iron Man and The Hulk. So far I think Marvel has done a great job w/those last two this summer and am really geeked for Cap since its going to keep his origin during WWII

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Master Lok

Union Jack, perhaps played by Clive Owen?

Redo Daredevil ala the Man Without Fear limited series.

I'm looking forward to the Watchmen.

Redo League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - the concept and story by Alan Moore was great - the execution was terrible in the movie.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Pros and Cons

Captain Canuck!!

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:44 PM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

I heard Bone was good and I'd like to read it. Might be a good film adaptation.

I'd like to see a tasteful version of Concrete in the movies.

My favorite comic ispired movies so far are Terry Zwigoff's films like Ghost world. Some of his movies borrow heavily from Dan Clowes comics for art direction and attitude, and Robert Crumb's Daughter, Sophie did the sketchbook of Enid's drawings.

While not an adaptation of a comic book character, Robert Crumb himself appears in his own comics, and the documentary, Crumb is one of my favorite movies ever.

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
napaneeoilfan

A remake of Spawn could be good. I thought the Spawn movie done about 10 years ago was crap. Spawn, is a pretty cool hero/anti-hero kind of guy.

napaneeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Wolfpack

I really enjoyed both Ironman and the Incredible Hulk this summer so I am looking forward to The Avengers.

I remember as a kid that Hulk issue #300 was an epic where the Hulk climbed to the top of a skyscraper and from there fought pretty well every superhero out there and absolutely kicked the crap out of everyone. I always thought that would be an amazing movie.

The other one I would love to see made into a movie is Secret Wars. Anyone else here old enough to remember that 12-issue Marvel epic?

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
PaperDesigner

I'd like to see Nausicaa adapted in its entirety, instead of a quick reworking on the first volume into a two hour film. However, it'd likely have to be about six to ten hours to cover all the content. Could work as a mini-series, but it's a hugely unlikely prospect.

Maus could probably be adapted into a film. Would have to be condensed a bit, but you wouldn't have to change the plot entirely, ala Nausicaa.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
NMK

Maximum Carnage!!!
Carnage vs Venom vs Spiderman... WOW!

Or else the Infinity Gauntlet, War, and Crusade series with pretty much every single Marvel hero you can think of plus the Infinity Watch, vs Thanos the Destroyer, Galactus, Dr. Doom,The Magus and all of the hero dopplegangers. In the Infinity Crusade you had all the religious heroes and the Goddess vs the non-religious heroes and Warlock. It was awesome!

Yeah I was a big comic nerd back in the day.

P.S. Has anyone ever seen the original Captain America? I didn't even know they made one until I saw it on TV a month ago. Pretty terrible, the shield throwing is laughable! I believe it was made in the early 90's.

Last edited by NMK: 07-21-2008 at 01:39 PM.
NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I really enjoyed both Ironman and the Incredible Hulk this summer so I am looking forward to The Avengers.

I remember as a kid that Hulk issue #300 was an epic where the Hulk climbed to the top of a skyscraper and from there fought pretty well every superhero out there and absolutely kicked the crap out of everyone. I always thought that would be an amazing movie.

The other one I would love to see made into a movie is Secret Wars. Anyone else here old enough to remember that 12-issue Marvel epic?
Was that an Infinity War Crossover? Did the building explode at the end because Mr. Fantastic turned out to be an imposter doppleganger and blew up a nuke with all the superheoes in the building? Oh how I loved that series!

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Matty31

Send a message via MSN to Matty31
GI JOE!!!!
August 7, 2009!!!!!!

Matty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
Was that an Infinity War Crossover? Did the building explode at the end because Mr. Fantastic turned out to be an imposter doppleganger and blew up a nuke with all the superheoes in the building? Oh how I loved that series!

Secret Wars was from the early to mid 80's and was a 12-part mini-series where a omnipotent being called "The Beyonder" brought all Marvel's superheros and supervillians together on an empty planet for a battle royal.

The series spawned a lot of spinoffs with ongoing comic series - like The Thing, who decided to stay on the planet once the war was over, and Spiderman, who got his first taste of the black uni during Secret Wars.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty31 View Post
GI JOE!!!!
August 7, 2009!!!!!!
Was gonna disappoint but we complained enough I guess...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/synopsis

leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Thor and the Green Hornet are coming out in June,2010

07-21-2008, 02:53 PM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Archie
FTW!

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Anyone else here old enough to remember that 12-issue Marvel epic?
man. I am going to expose my inner-nerd by doing this but...

I'm old enough to remember that Mary Jane wasn't Pete's girl... she was Harry's. Now Gwen Stacy... pretty much the only part of the movie Spiderman 3 that was done well.

Daredevil was always a great character. I though Frank Miller's initial run was great with Elektra vs DD vs Bullseye. BUT for me, the best DD storyline ever was Born Again (#227-234 or so). Frank Miller's second run and it honestly made me want to write.

One of the best Spiderman arcs was Kraven's Last Hunt but the general public might not know Kraven and so the history the two have with each other would be lost and the story would lose impact. But it's a terrific read.

No other Grendel fans out there?