HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings - THU Oct 9 7PM EST- 08/09 Season Opener HNIC

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
So just because I am going to cheer on the team to win every game means that I don't want Taveras on my team? No, I just think winning is very good for the development of the team. Losing has some benefits too, but that does not mean that I will be cheering for the opposition every game. I am always on the bandwagon no matter what.
That's okay because if the Leafs win the Cup those posters that want the team to lose will stand up and cheer.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Change the word fantastic to the phrase "better then before"

Even when you look at our record after Feb 1st, it's still only:

16-11-2

Better but in the grand scheme of things still garbage.
LMAO true

Old
10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
That's okay because if the Leafs win the Cup those posters that want the team to lose will stand up and cheer.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
OMFG hahahahahaha.... wait was that serious?

Old
10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Except we want that plug Jason Blake removed ASAP to make more ATOI and Opportunity to meet objective #1 and dealing with #2 accordingly.
You must point the blame for that one at the GM alone.

Cliff has the power to remove Blake from the line up.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Antropovsky

I think Stralman's shakes have done more bad then good, as his endurance has been noticeably weak on the ice. He himself has already stated on more than one occasion this season that his conditioning isn't where it needs to be yet. IMO outside of a couple of his seeing eye wrists shots, Stralman has been terrible, and I would definitely ascribe his poor play to his conditioning/lack of endurance. Instead of drinking shakes, he probably should have spent the Summer working out with Matt Nichol... and instead added lean muscle.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
go_leafs_go02

Wow. Leafs season opener, and I'm nowhere near excited. I can't remember that time. maybe it's because i expect a blowout by Detroit, but hey, I could be wrong. We'll see how this team performs.

GO LEAFS

Old
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Leafs part-owner and Chairman of the board MLSE board, wouldn't even take a hypothetical guaranteed Stanley Cup this season if it were possible, if it resulted in more years of failure afterwards.

It appears the TOP Down approach for ownership, to management to the results of this season are not projecting a Stanley Cup.

In fact the deck is mightily stacked against it, as even if the Leafs are within striking distance of a playoff spot at the trade deadline, they still might be major sellers of key players like Antropov and Kaberle or even Toskala if they are being true to their word that this is a rebuild long-term goal now..

If the Leafs continue to win despite all efforts to focus on the rebuild both and in ATOI for young players then this is simply a team of destiny and unstoppable.. However sooner or later a little reality needs to set in, and I am predicting that to occur this year, for even the greatest optimists at this point in time.

10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

There is a difference between taking solace in the fact that if the Leafs are a bad team and they lose it's one step closer to Tavares, but it's another thing entirely to boo or actually get pissed off because the Leafs have a dramatic come from behind win in OT. Anyone cheering against the Leafs in a GDT should get the same treatment. If a Habs fan came in here doing that, they would be berated and banned. Why should anyone else be different.
And that ridiculous "logic" Mess used about Tavares? Similar "logic" is also used by young children.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Blake's usual poor on ice performance and unmovable $4 mil per long-term contract is not helping this situation any.

Fletch inherited a real mess when he took the job and clean-up is taking a little longer then expected because players are not capitulating to the desires of the GM or are simply overpaid and useless and no one wants them.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
LTL

Quote:

How many are still *****ing about our current buyouts. I wonder how many more pages of *****ing would have taken place if Cliff choose an 8 year buyout with Blake.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:56 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I cannot join tank nation because I'll cheer every victory, every Leaf goal, and every Toskala save.

I even cheer when White does something good.

Tank Nation shall not be permitted to disparage a poor performance, or cheer a team success.

Tank Nation can take no pleasure except in suicide.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:57 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
There is a difference between taking solace in the fact that if the Leafs are a bad team and they lose it's one step closer to Tavares, but it's another thing entirely to boo or actually get pissed off because the Leafs have a dramatic come from behind win in OT. Anyone cheering against the Leafs in a GDT should get the same treatment. If a Habs fan came in here doing that, they would be berated and banned. Why should anyone else be different.
And that ridiculous "logic" Mess used about Tavares? Similar "logic" is also used by young children.
Instead of calling it "ridiculous" why dont you argue it logically and prove him wrong, that's what seperates mature adults from children, well thought, logical arguments.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:57 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
How many are still *****ing about our current buyouts. I wonder how many more pages of *****ing would have taken place if Cliff choose an 8 year buyout with Blake.
While others still have a hard-on for some of the buy-outs he's made. What' it matter how many pages there are on it anyways?

Old
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cliff should not care about how many pages of whining are posted here.

Blake is Cliff's choice. Cliff chose to retain Blake.

Old
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
LTL

Quote:
I cannot join tank nation because I'll cheer every victory, every Leaf goal, and every Toskala save.

I even cheer when White does something good.

Tank Nation shall not be permitted to disparage a poor performance, or cheer a team success.
As if this isn't actually taking place already.

Quote:
Tank Nation can take no pleasure except in suicide.
We'll let you go first on drinking the koolaid.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Its not ridiculous "logic" its a verifiable fact and can be supported if need be.

Fact: Every win takes a team further from an early draft pick, and every loss increases the odds of selecting higher in the draft. The fewer the points the better the potential draft pick ..

Fact: If Tavares is projected to go 1 or 2 in the entry draft then the Leafs must be at least in the bottom 5 in the NHL standings ate seasons end and entering the draft lottery to have any chance at selecting him (outside of a unlikely trade of course).

Fact: Steven Stamkos plays for TB because of where they finished in the NHL standings and Ovechkin is a Washington Capital for the same reason..

This is not a hard case to make here and you can try and dispute the facts if you like but NHL points determines your entry draft selection (+/- a spot or 3 for a few teams that finish in the bottom 5 and win or lose the draft lottery).

Old
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
LTL

Quote:
Cliff should not care about how many pages of whining are posted here.

Blake is Cliff's choice. Cliff chose to retain Blake.
Blake is Cliff's choice. Now I've heard it all.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
LTL

Ahhh first game GDTs'. Damn I missed them.

Last edited by Squiffy: 10-09-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: the quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Blake is Cliff's choice.
Who is the GM?
Who manages the personnel?
Who can remove Blake from the team?

Old
10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
LTL

Quote:
Who is the GM?
Seeing as you love obvious questions:

Who signed him?
How massive would the buyout be?
Why was a 33 year old hockey player signed to a 5 year deal again?

ANYWAYS, whether we get rid of Blake now, next summer, or two years from now does it really matter?

Old
10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:

Who signed him?

ANYWAYS, whether we get rid of Blake now, next summer, or two years from now does it really matter?
Have the Marlies folded?

Old
10-09-2008, 02:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Who signed him?

JFj isn't the GM, and isn't responsible for anything to do with the Leafs.

And that is a good thing, so we shouldn't look to him for guidance.

I don't care whether he's on the team or not.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Have the Marlies folded?
The fact Blake is on the team is really bothersome to some posters (I won't say fans) on this board.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Quote:
Who is the GM?
I agree Ulf. And listen up fools, Cliff didn't have to BUY OUT Blake, it's called demoting him to the Minors.

All in all though, Blake had a bad year after 5 years or so of 20 plus goal seasons, and he still had 50 plus points, so a rebound year is not out of the question. Some *******s just seemingly forget that the guy got diagnosed with ****ING CANCER last year.

Closed Thread