HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings - THU Oct 9 7PM EST- 08/09 Season Opener HNIC

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2008, 12:39 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

vCash: 500
They need to up Van Ryan's value so they can trade him away. It has to be done.

Schenn won't be up longer than 9 games either. Stralman will get into the lineup.

Old
10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

Schenn won't be up longer than 9 games either. Stralman will get into the lineup.
If so, it just makes the trade more and more assinine, imo.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by draeko17 View Post
If so, it just makes the trade more and more assinine, imo.
You can't put a price on dumping a 5.75 mil cap hit...wait until this summer to see how the money is used before calling the deal assinine

Old
10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
You can't put a price on dumping a 5.75 mil cap hit...wait until this summer to see how the money is used before calling the deal assinine
Wasn't just a 5.57M cap hit it was an IMMOVABLE 5.57M cap hit.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:21 PM
draeko17

Quote:

I understand that part. While I don't really buy in to it, I really do accept and understand the decision to move the cap space. Or move the NMC, if you will. I think it's pretty unfortunate that we gave up a draft pick (4th round or whatever) for another contract they are potentially trying to get rid of. I've seen nothing from Van Ryn so far in the preseason that makes it look like he's remotely worth his contract and I can imagine it may prove pretty difficult to unload. So how much cap space have we saved? I was very displeased with how the entire situation was handled and I'm just trying to find something good about it. Haven't been successful with that yet.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
I understand that part. While I don't really buy in to it, I really do accept and understand the decision to move the cap space. Or move the NMC, if you will. I think it's pretty unfortunate that we gave up a draft pick (4th round or whatever) for another contract they are potentially trying to get rid of. I've seen nothing from Van Ryn so far in the preseason that makes it look like he's remotely worth his contract and I can imagine it may prove pretty difficult to unload. So how much cap space have we saved? I was very displeased with how the entire situation was handled and I'm just trying to find something good about it. Haven't been successful with that yet.
And if Van Ryn can't cut it here, we send him to the Marlies and it cost us a 4th rounder to get rid of a 5.75 cap hit with a NMC. If he can, we move him at the deadline for a pick in the 4th round range.

McCabe had to go, just like Tucker and Raycroft. It's not that they all can't be NHL'rs, its that they wore out their welcome here and the organization was suffering because of their attitudes rather then benefitting from their play.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
draeko17

Quote:
And if Van Ryn can't cut it here, we send him to the Marlies and it cost us a 4th rounder to get rid of a 5.75 cap hit with a NMC. If he can, we move him at the deadline for a pick in the 4th round range.

McCabe had to go, just like Tucker and Raycroft. It's not that they all can't be NHL'rs, its that they wore out their welcome here and the organization was suffering because of their attitudes rather then benefitting from their play.
Fair enough. We'll see if he gets waived to the Marlies. Colour me surprised if Fletcher does that. Keep in mind, my original comment was on the supposition that the Leafs have to try to make this guy/contract look attractive to be able to offload it. What is your opinion about his play/contract value so far?

Old
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
So how much cap space have we saved?
We save 2.8 million cap hit, 1.3 in actual profit.
Well actually "we" don't, that goes into MLSE's wallet, unless some posters here are invested.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:53 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
We save 2.8 million cap hit, 1.3 in actual profit.
Well actually "we" don't, that goes into MLSE's wallet, unless some posters here are invested.
LOL....point taken. Emotionally invested, not financially. I'll try to refrain from using the all inclusive "we".

Old
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
LOL....point taken. Emotionally invested, not financially. I'll try to refrain from using the all inclusive "we".
I do it too.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN Ice Chips

When suspended forward Ryan Hollweg gets back he likely goes with Dominic Moore and Jamal Mayers. Alex Steen could end up on the line with John Mitchell and Matt Stajan. The Leafs will go with five Alternate Captains this year: Kaberle, Kubina, Mayers, Moore, Antropov. - TSN

Projected Lines

Forwards:
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Blake
Tlusty - Grabovski - Hagman
Mitchell - Stajan - White
Steen - Moore - Mayers
Kulemin

Defence:
Kaberle - Schenn
Colaiacovo - Kubina
Frogren - Stralman
Van Ryn - Finger

Goaltender:
Toskala
Joseph
5 A's with Moore being alternated in there is interesting.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
alienanton*

Coli Kubina
Kaberle Schenn
Van Ryn Frogren

hrmmmmm stralman is supposed to be a cornerstone on our PP.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:03 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
5 A's with Moore being alternated in there is interesting.
That is an interesting choice.To be honest he seemed like one of the least likely to me.Guess spending time with them everyday helps.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Shaggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

They have yet to really address there Def volume issues. I guess if Schenn plays great over the next 9 games and Finger comes back healthy they are in even more of a bind. I would like to see Colo, Stralman and Schenn (if sucessfull, if not send to junior) play every night and develop.

Guys like Van Ryn, Frogren and Finger wont develop much past what they are currently.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:13 PM
alienanton*

so apparently kulemin is probably ready to go.

white out, kulemin in - fan 590

Old
10-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Shaggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
so apparently kulemin is probably ready to go.

white out, kulemin in - fan 590
Sweet! Is Steen really down to the 4th line then?

Stajan, Michell, Kulemin?
Steen, Mayers, Moore?

Old
10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyman View Post
Sweet! Is Steen really down to the 4th line then?

Stajan, Michell, Kulemin?
Steen, Mayers, Moore?
Steen is going to be in the 3rd line. Two guys Stajan and Steen we were really looking for leadership and more productivity but hasn't shown up and now rookies are given more of a chance to prove themselves than those two. Disappointing to say the least. I kind of figured when they stripped the A of stajan and placed on the 4 th line.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:23 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I think the Leafs come out hard and take this one, 4-2.....as long as Toskala doesn't let in any more stinkers like he did in the preseason.

As for Stralman.....don't anyone be surprised when he gets demoted once Finger is healthy.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Shaggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Steen is going to be in the 3rd line. Two guys Stajan and Steen we were really looking for leadership and more productivity but hasn't shown up and now rookies are given more of a chance to prove themselves than those two. Disappointing to say the least. I kind of figured when they stripped the A of stajan and placed on the 4 th line.
Its interesting that we are pinning our hopes on players such as Kulemin, Tlusty, Grabovski, Schenn, Strallman and Mitchell.

It was not too long ago that those same hopes were placed on Steen, Stajan, Wellwood, Colaiacovo, White.

Geez I hope this round of youth works out better.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Its interesting that we are pinning our hopes on players such as Kulemin, Tlusty, Grabovski, Schenn, Strallman and Mitchell.

It was not too long ago that those same hopes were placed on Steen, Stajan, Wellwood, Colaiacovo, White.

I don't think anyone was pinning our hopes on Stajan or White. I heard trade proposals of Stajan being traded last summer when we were trying to get Peca back. Show's how much Leaf fans trust in him.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Shaggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I don't think anyone was pinning our hopes on Stajan or White. I heard trade proposals of Stajan being traded last summer when we were trying to get Peca back. Show's how much Leaf fans trust in him.
Yeah, I guess what you see if what you get. He is not getting any better.

This was the chance for the Stajans and Steens to step up without all the vets. I know its only pre-season and the line combos are only for 1 game but its been very sad how far this group (Steen, Stajan, Wellwood, Colaiacovo, White) has fallen.

I still hold out hope for Cola and Steen however.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Yeah, I guess what you see if what you get. He is not getting any better.

This was the chance for the Stajans and Steens to step up without all the vets. I know its only pre-season and the line combos are only for 1 game but its been very sad how far this group (Steen, Stajan, Wellwood, Colaiacovo, White) has fallen.

I still hold out hope for Cola and Steen however.
I'm willing to give Steen time, and Stajan, etc for that matter, to find their game with Ron Wilson. New coach, completely new way of playing the game (system). I've seen better from Steen and Stajan playing in a crappy system. Wilson said it would take a few months to get everyone to re-learn how to play consistent, competitive hockey. He's willing to give them time. Why can't we?

Old
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:

that 1st "round" there is still "youth".

Old
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The projected line-up for the game is ...

White, Hollweg (2 game Suspension) & Finger (IR) will be out and Wilson will choose 2 of the 3 for the 3rd pairing on defense.

10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
bluumax

i think the idea of rotating stralman, white and MVR could be a good idea, they all play a simular game and would rotate well, we get to shop 2 players and develop 1

Closed Thread