HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings - THU Oct 9 7PM EST- 08/09 Season Opener HNIC

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2008, 05:24 AM
DEMOMAHN*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DEMOMAHN*
This is going to be hilarious.

Old
10-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Schweiz

predicting that a skilled and inspired Detroit club, from the Stanley Cup celebrations before the game, will proceed to shell Toronto early and often...5-1 Wings...and might have been worse if not for Toskala.

Old
10-09-2008, 06:12 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Can we have some sort of rule that the "tank people" have to stay out of game day threads? I really don't want to read supposed Leaf fans cheering against them. I mean pessimissm is fine, pissed off is fine, but when I read disapppointment when they are actually doing well, it is severely irritating. I sense with the lowered expectations and Tavares, it will be worse this year, but leave the game day threads out of it.

Old
10-09-2008, 06:33 AM
DEMOMAHN*

Send a message via MSN to DEMOMAHN*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Can we have some sort of rule that the "tank people" have to stay out of game day threads? I really don't want to read supposed Leaf fans cheering against them. I mean pessimissm is fine, pissed off is fine, but when I read disapppointment when they are actually doing well, it is severely irritating. I sense with the lowered expectations and Tavares, it will be worse this year, but leave the game day threads out of it.
I am not at all hoping the Leafs will lose. If anything, I'm neutral and still in shock at how poor our team is this year.

I am just predicting that we're going to be steamrolled so badly that we're going to be a laughing stock. Opening game against the defending Stanley Cup champions and one of the best teams in the last decade, a perennial President's Trophy winner? Against this blown up team? You can't ask for a worse match-up.

Old
10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Go Leafs Go! Game #1 Of Miracle Season!!

Old
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceberg View Post
I am not at all hoping the Leafs will lose. If anything, I'm neutral and still in shock at how poor our team is this year.

I am just predicting that we're going to be steamrolled so badly that we're going to be a laughing stock. Opening game against the defending Stanley Cup champions and one of the best teams in the last decade, a perennial President's Trophy winner? Against this blown up team? You can't ask for a worse match-up.
I wasn't referring to your post.. I post like that all the time. This is just in anticipation of the people, who claim to be Leaf fans cheering, for the Leafs to lose.

Old
10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan

Quote:
I wasn't referring to your post.. I post like that all the time. This is just in anticipation of the people, who claim to be Leaf fans cheering, for the Leafs to lose.
The way I see it, if we win, holy crap! And if we lose, hey, at least we're gunning for Tavares. Win-win.

Its more of a coping mechanism than anything.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Fabs

Quote:
I'd vote in favour of that rule and I'm hoping for a bottom finish, but I know better than to cheer for the Leafs losing in GDT's. Can't imagine why some posters think its okay to do so. Hell make your own GDT that you can piss and moan in when the Leafs win.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
Is Rec going to open up the prediction thread?

4 - 2 LEAFS WIN.
Patience, my friend. It will always be up at least two days before the game. I don't want to put up earlier so folks don't get confused if there are two or three active prediction threads at the same time.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:26 AM
KT7

....Finger on IR? Been away for a while, what happened?

Old
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
Fingered the wrong hole..

Old
10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I think that if they want the other team to win then they should participate in the other team's GDT and cheer them on. We don't have to put up with it and they get to hang around with people of a common interest, brilliant idea if I do say so myself.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
Took a shot off the foot, they told us originally that x-rays were negative but there must have been a cracked bone or something.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
BlueAndWhite

Today's Star had Colaiacovo and White as the odd ones out, which is contrary to all the reports from yesterday.

Alexei Ponikarovsky-Nik Antropov-Jason Blake
Jiri Tlusty-Mikhail Grabovski-Niklas Hagman
Alex Steen-Dominic Moore-Nikolai Kulemin
John Mitchell-Matt Stajan-Jamal Mayers

Luke Schenn-Tomas Kaberle
Mike Van Ryn-Pavel Kubina
Jonas Frogren-Anton Stralman

Old
10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
I'd vote in favour of that rule and I'm hoping for a bottom finish, but I know better than to cheer for the Leafs losing in GDT's. Can't imagine why some posters think its okay to do so. Hell make your own GDT that you can piss and moan in when the Leafs win.
Leaf fans whether they're tankers or not are still Leaf fans. They have their right to post here. In the end both sides want what's best for the team no matter how you look at it. By the way I'm a tanker, and I refuse to follow that rule.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:50 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
Today's Star had Colaiacovo and White as the odd ones out, which is contrary to all the reports from yesterday.

Alexei Ponikarovsky-Nik Antropov-Jason Blake
Jiri Tlusty-Mikhail Grabovski-Niklas Hagman
Alex Steen-Dominic Moore-Nikolai Kulemin
John Mitchell-Matt Stajan-Jamal Mayers

Luke Schenn-Tomas Kaberle
Mike Van Ryn-Pavel Kubina
Jonas Frogren-Anton Stralman
Coli injury?

Old
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Lansdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Leaf fans whether they're tankers or not are still Leaf fans. They have their right to post here. In the end both sides want what's best for the team no matter how you look at it. By the way I'm a tanker, and I refuse to follow that rule.
Have fun anti-cheering for 82 games.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Schweiz

Quote:
Maybe this is the problem. They are not doing well as they were spanked in the preseason and the anticipation is that against a better Detroit team than last week it will be worse. This "downers" in this GDT are not surprising.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
dissociater

I have to admit, I realize the best thing for this team is to tank, and get a high pick. Part of me wants that to happen, and the longer this season goes on (depending on how badly we're doing) the more I'll want them to tank.

But as it stands right now, they're 0-0, and I hope they're 1-0 after tonight.

Can't wait for hockey to start! woohoo!

Old
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Fabs

Quote:
Being a pro tanker myself I'm very well aware that we're still Leaf fans. I'd watch 82 losses and still love the team knowing better days are coming, but I really do think we should respect the posters who cheer the team on no matter what enough to not bring our "Lose Leafs Lose" chants into the GDT's.

If a non leaf fan posted some of the garbage leaf fans do we'd call them trolls.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:10 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Being a pro tanker myself I'm very well aware that we're still Leaf fans. I'd watch 82 losses and still love the team knowing better days are coming, but I really do think we should respect the posters who cheer the team on no matter what enough to not bring our "Lose Leafs Lose" chants into the GDT's.

If a non leaf fan posted some of the garbage leaf fans do we'd call them trolls.
can I say "yes the other team scored" (or ***** Stajan scored, now you screwed up the chance of getting Tavares" hmm?

Old
10-09-2008, 10:10 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
I have to admit, I realize the best thing for this team is to tank, and get a high pick. Part of me wants that to happen, and the longer this season goes on (depending on how badly we're doing) the more I'll want them to tank.

But as it stands right now, they're 0-0, and I hope they're 1-0 after tonight.

Can't wait for hockey to start! woohoo!
While I would be very excited if we ended up with the first overall pick, I don't think "tanking" is ever the best thing for a team. You don't build a team with one or two high draft picks. Many of the guys currently with the team are going to be key parts of the future and there's nothing to gain by encouraging a culture of losing. No legitimate coach or GM would ever support such a strategy.

RW's approach is to use every game as a training exercise for these guys. Wins and losses are not that important, but competing (ie. not tanking) is very important.

Let draft position sort itself out. If the team performs above expectations then there is a lot to like about that.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
zeke
#freewilly

You guys act as if we're putting an AHL team out there.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap View Post
While I would be very excited if we ended up with the first overall pick, I don't think "tanking" is ever the best thing for a team. You don't build a team with one or two high draft picks. Many of the guys currently with the team are going to be key parts of the future and there's nothing to gain by encouraging a culture of losing. No legitimate coach or GM would ever support such a strategy.

RW's approach is to use every game as a training exercise for these guys. Wins and losses are not that important, but competing (ie. tanking) is very important.

Let draft position sort itself out. If the team performs above expectations then there is a lot to like about that.
Its hard to not look at the draft position. what if the scenario came that one win in the last game would result in drafting 2nd or 3rd from drafting 6th? Tough decision there.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
timlap

Quote:
Its hard to not look at the draft position. what if the scenario came that one win in the last game would result in drafting 2nd or 3rd from drafting 6th? Tough decision there.
In that scenario I would probably be hoping for a loss, too. But that's the last game of the season and we're talking about the first.

Closed Thread