HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings - THU Oct 9 7PM EST- 08/09 Season Opener HNIC

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Fabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
can I say "yes the other team scored" (or ***** Stajan scored, now you screwed up the chance of getting Tavares" hmm?
Really say whatever you like, I've argued enough for the other side.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

stajan 4th line woah

Old
10-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Can we have some sort of rule that the "tank people" have to stay out of game day threads? I really don't want to read supposed Leaf fans cheering against them. I mean pessimissm is fine, pissed off is fine, but when I read disapppointment when they are actually doing well, it is severely irritating. I sense with the lowered expectations and Tavares, it will be worse this year, but leave the game day threads out of it.
What happens if the Leafs do end up getting Tavares or a TOP 5 pick as a result of this season? Those people that will be cheering vigorously against that event occurring in GDT, should also now have to relinquish all future rights to cheering for him.

Luke Schenn was a favourable result for Tank Nation last season, for a failed season with a high draft pick. I'm guessing those that aggressively cheered against that event happening will be Luke's greatest supporters now when he helps their cause winning games this year. Hands off as Luke Schenn belongs to Tank Nation !!.. Those that cheered against him have to only cheer for Finger and Frogren and Van Ryn if we're going to regulate cheering fairly.

So Tank Nation stays out of GDT this year, and then those opposed against this strategy stay out of GDT for life, beginning next year or when Johnny T or Brayden Schenn etc is tearing it up for the Leafs. That will be Tank Nation's Era beginning.

10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Its hard to not look at the draft position. what if the scenario came that one win in the last game would result in drafting 2nd or 3rd from drafting 6th? Tough decision there.
There is no decison...whether you cheer or not will have no impact on the result.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Hands off as Luke Schenn belongs to Tank Nation !!.

Good one Mess.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
LTL

Hopefully the leafs can keep this game close.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
eraserhead

This game has the makings of an ass whooping. 6-2 Detroit.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
What happens if the Leafs do end up getting Tavares as a result of this season? Those people that will be cheering vigorously against that event occurring in GDT, should also now have to relinquish all future rights to cheering for him.

Luke Schenn was a favourable result for Tank Nation last season, for a failed season with a high draft pick. I'm guessing those that aggressively cheered against that event happening will be Luke's greatest supporters now when he helps their cause winning games this year. Hands off as Luke Schenn belongs to Tank Nation !!.. Those that cheered against him have to only cheer for Finger and Frogren and Van Ryn if we're going to regulate cheering fairly.
It's funny how you use their thinking against them.

Old
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
What happens if the Leafs do end up getting Tavares as a result of this season? Those people that will be cheering vigorously against that event occurring in GDT, should also now have to relinquish all future rights to cheering for him.

you need help

Old
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Stajan deserves nothing but 4th line minutes.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
mooseOAK*

Apparently the league has allowed 18 minutes for the ceremony so the game will likely not start until 7:30 or so.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Stajan deserves nothing but 4th line minutes.
Minutes will be determined based on play during the game, that's the way Wilson typically operates.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:30 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Apparently the league has allowed 18 minutes for the ceremony so the game will likely not start until 7:30 or so.
I heard it was 7:20

Old
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Snipeshow

Quote:
What happens if the Leafs do end up getting Tavares or a TOP 5 pick as a result of this season? Those people that will be cheering vigorously against that event occurring in GDT, should also now have to relinquish all future rights to cheering for him.

So Tank Nation stays out of GDT this year, and then those opposed against this strategy stay out of GDT for life, beginning next year or when Johnny T or Brayden Schenn etc is tearing it up for the Leafs. That will be Tank Nation's Era beginning.
So because I cheer for the Leafs to win (which by the way I will do, but not care if we lose because I know it brings us closer to Tavares) that when we draft 1st overall and actually GET something to cheer about I am no longer allowed to cheer for my favorite team.

Yeah, that's about to happen.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:

You can't find one leaf supporter who would be against the idea of Tavares being on the team, so no, that "logic" doesn't quite work there.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post

Good one Mess.
Its only fair .. Tank Nation is a commitment made by loyal diehard Leaf fans that want a bright future for our team and willing to accept the pain and suffering of the team today to achieve that long-term goal and vision.

Tank Nation is a full time situation, with no bandwagon option for others to jump on in the future when times are good.. Your either in now from the ground up, or out forever, for those opposed to high draft picks plan to future Leaf success.

They can't have their cake and eat it too, as Tank Nation doesn't share with those, unable and unwilling to accept the consequenses of famine today, in the best interest of feasting on success in the future.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:41 AM
LTL

Quote:

True on so many levels.

Expect a 25 page rebuttal though.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Its only fair .. Tank Nation is a commitment made by loyal diehard Leaf fans that want a bright future for our team and willing to accept the pain and suffering of the team today to achieve that long-term goal and vision.

Tank Nation is a full time situation, with no bandwagon option for others to jump on in the future when times are good.. Your either in now from the ground up, or out forever, for those opposed to high draft picks plan to future Leaf success.

They can't have their cake and eat it too, as Tank Nation doesn't share with those, unable and unwilling to accept the consequenses of famine today, in the best interest of feasting on success in the future.
That's nice but Fletcher is anxiously awaiting the call from Sundin telling him that he will be playing again.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:43 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's nice but Fletcher is anxiously awaiting the call from Sundin telling him that he will be playing again.
The only answer Fletcher is waiting for from Sundin is that he'll be playing for the Sens.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia View Post
You can't find one leaf supporter who would be against the idea of Tavares being on the team, so no, that "logic" doesn't quite work there.
There is no logic to Mess' ramblings.

Whatever slanted view fits his agenda for the week is the one we'll get to read ad naseum, coupled with a few bolded sentences for emphasis. You know, because we didn't understand his nonsense the first few hundred times.

---------------------------------

Personally, I find the actively cheering for them to lose, more than a tad strange. I don't advocate the Leafs making moves that help them in the short term because I understand that arguably best (but not the only) course of action is for them to amass young talented players.

Old
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
True on so many levels.

Expect a 25 page rebuttal though.
So just because I am going to cheer on the team to win every game means that I don't want Taveras on my team? No, I just think winning is very good for the development of the team. Losing has some benefits too, but that does not mean that I will be cheering for the opposition every game. I am always on the bandwagon no matter what.

Old
despotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
stajan 4th line woah
I'm surprised he actually made the team. well ... i guess someone has to kill penalties

Old
10-09-2008, 10:46 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
The only answer Fletcher is waiting for from Sundin is that he'll be playing for the Sens.
Uh-huh.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:49 AM
despotic

Quote:

I'm surprised to see that people actually think that their "cheering" affects where the team finishes. Whether you cheer the team to win or lose, especially here, on a message board that noone part of the Leaf organization reads, has no bearing on the result in the standings, and therefore, no one has a right to say "I supported x and therefore only i can have x" since you had no hand in getting that "x" in the first place.

Old
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
There is no logic to Mess' ramblings.

Whatever slanted view fits his agenda for the week is the one we'll get to read ad naseum, coupled with a few bolded sentences for emphasis. You know, because we didn't understand his nonsense the first few hundred times.

---------------------------------

Personally, I find the actively cheering for them to lose, more than a tad strange. I don't advocate the Leafs making moves that help them in the short term because I understand that arguably best (but not the only) course of action is for them to amass young talented players.
I agree, I have absolutely no interest in Fletcher throwing picks away to pick up vets at the deadline for a playoff push, I'd much rather he do the complete opposite. The leafs aren't going to be any good, but that doesn't mean I want them to lose (I do expect them to) If I was going to cheer for every team that play the Leafs instead, I might as well just go be a fan of those teams instead, there's really no difference.

Closed Thread