HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How good is Marian Hossa?

View Poll Results: How good is Hossa?
Top 5 1 0.36%
Top 10 50 18.25%
Top 15 126 45.99%
Top 20 65 23.72%
Top 25 22 8.03%
Top 30+ 10 3.65%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
apetitfor400

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Towards the bottom of the top 10. It's his all-around play that puts him up there. He's better than guys like Lecavalier and Malkin, IMO.
You're as bad, if not worse than TheLastofthebest11 when it comes to overrating your team's players.

apetitfor400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukfan View Post
Your just mad that he didnt wanna play for u guys anymore and he signed with the champs
A little bit, but me flaming some Red Wings fan have nothing to do with it. In fact, I don't like some of their fans because they are arrogant and think they are the greatest team ever. I hated them before Hossa sign with them, in fact, I hate them since the day I learned we were gonna play them in the finals. Some (not all of the fan base) of them were SO arrogant and predicting that they were gonna destroy us. That's why I hate SOME Red Wings fans.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
datsyukfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
A little bit, but me flaming some Red Wings fan have nothing to do with it. In fact, I don't like some of their fans because they are arrogant and think they are the greatest team ever. I hated them before Hossa sign with them, in fact, I hate them since the day I learned we were gonna play them in the finals. Some (not all of the fan base) of them were SO arrogant and predicting that they were gonna destroy us. That's why I hate SOME Red Wings fans.

Of course u hated us when u knew u had to play us in the finals. Cause u knew u weren't gonna win. And we have a right to think we are the greatest cause we were great last year and we just signed the biggest named free agent this year

datsyukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:14 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetitfor400 View Post
You're as bad, if not worse than TheLastofthebest11 when it comes to overrating your team's players.
I'd have told you the very same last year. Check my history. I've been very high on Hossa long before he was a Wing, Penguin, or even Thrasher.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:19 PM
MG91

top 15-20

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukfan View Post
Of course u hated us when u knew u had to play us in the finals. Cause u knew u weren't gonna win. And we have a right to think we are the greatest cause we were great last year and we just signed the biggest named free agent this year
That's exactly the kind of attitude I hate... I had faith (and still do) in my team and I still think that with a more gifted coach for strategies, we would have won. We had a superior (or at least equal) talent level than you guys but you had the better system and more experience. In the end, the better team certainly won, but the Pens could have won that series. We weren't dismantled by any means.

Old
07-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of attitude I hate... I had faith (and still do) in my team and I still think that with a more gifted coach for strategies, we would have won. We had a superior (or at least equal) talent level than you guys but you had the better system and more experience. In the end, the better team certainly won, but the Pens could have won that series. We weren't dismantled by any means.
I knew this thread would come to that. Don't mind if I jump in?

No, the Penguins couldn't win against Detroit no matter which way you look at it.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
I knew this thread would come to that. Don't mind if I jump in?

No, the Penguins couldn't win against Detroit no matter which way you look at it.
I don't mind at all, I like good hockey discussions.

We lost in 6 while we played like crap in the first two game. Call that inexperience or whatever you want but after that, we were in it. We COULD have won, that's for sure. Detroit wasn't unbeateable and we put up a good fight. But, yeah, they were the better team but the Pens weren't that far off. Like I said, if Therrien had been able to adapt, we would have won. He was stuborn and that cost us. Detroit won and nothing will change that. But Pittsburgh had a shot and definitively wasn't badly outmatched.

We had depth, talent and desire. We lacked experience and strategies. Therrien is a great motivator, that's for sure, but his in game coaching is quite average. That is exactly what cost us the Cup. Detroit was a great team very well coached with a perfect system. Zetterberg also deserve to be praised because, IMO, he was the big difference maker. That 5 on 3 he killed by himself was the series "clincher" for Detroit, IMO.

Old
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
I don't mind at all, I like good hockey discussions.

We lost in 6 while we played like crap in the first two game. Call that inexperience or whatever you want but after that, we were in it. We COULD have won, that's for sure. Detroit wasn't unbeateable and we put up a good fight. But, yeah, they were the better team but the Pens weren't that far off. Like I said, if Therrien had been able to adapt, we would have won. He was stuborn and that cost us. Detroit won and nothing will change that. But Pittsburgh had a shot and definitively wasn't badly outmatched.

We had depth, talent and desire. We lacked experience and strategies. Therrien is a great motivator, that's for sure, but his in game coaching is quite average. That is exactly what cost us the Cup. Detroit was a great team very well coached with a perfect system. Zetterberg also deserve to be praised because, IMO, he was the big difference maker. That 5 on 3 he killed by himself was the series "clincher" for Detroit, IMO.
I was joking, I've watched that series, the Penguins could have won if it wasn't for all the little mistakes that costed them big goals. Detroit system just proved once again its superiority in these finals, they're the best puck possession team in the league. Everyone and I mean aboslutely everyone on this team contributes. Third line grinders on Detroit have the smarts of a 1st line center on other teams. Crosby and Malkin vs Zetterberg and Datsyuk, the kid have the offensive edge slightly, but the two others have a far better defensive game along with more experience, it pretty much tells the whole story. Anyways, it was a great series well fought from both sides.

Marian Hossa is:

1.Ovechkin

1.Crosby

2.Malkin

3.Iginla

4.Thornton

5.Lecavalier

6.Alfredsson

7.Datsyuk

8.Zetterberg

9.Heatley

10.Spezza

Probably top 15

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:28 PM
MetalMilitia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post

Morrow surely isn't better than Hossa.
I'd take Morrow over Hossa, but that's just me.

MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
I'd take Morrow over Hossa, but that's just me.
Well, I'd say it depends of what you need. Both are good in their zone while Hossa is better offensively compared to Morrow who brings more leadership and physicality. Morrow can pot 30 goals on a good year and Hossa can get 100 points. Both are elite at what they do, you can't go wrong with any of them. Which one of them I'd PREFER on the Pens? Probably Hossa since he has great chemistry with Crosby, but Morrow wouldn't be a bad choice neither since he'd be all what Malone was + WAY more. Morrow can also carry a team on his back while Hossa can't but the Pens already have Malkin and Crosby so that really doesn't matter as far as my favorite team is concerned. If I had to choose one of them to start a franchise, I'd go with Morrow.

Old
07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Pretty ****ing good.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
DollarsAndSens

Quote:
Towards the bottom of the top 10. It's his all-around play that puts him up there. He's better than guys like Lecavalier and Malkin, IMO.
I wouldn't put him ahead of Lecavalier. Hossa's been one of my favourite players going back to '97 when he was a rookie with the Sens, but even I'll admit that Vinny Lecavalier is ahead of him. I think both are very sound defensively, but Vinny has the edge offensively and also in terms of size. Just my opinion. I can agree about Malkin though.

As far as the poll is concerned, I rated him Top 15.

DollarsAndSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Pretty good.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
norrisnick

Vinny doesn't really have an edge offensively. Going by their scoring rates since the lockout Vinny averages 3 extra points every 100 games. That's meaningless. If you go back beyond the lockout and Vinny falls behind.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
matt1

Quote:
I've held that view long before he became a Wing. I've always thought of him as a bigger, faster, stronger natural winger version of Zetterberg.

That I'm not really all that impressed with Vinny or Malkin. They're good, but not nearly as good as they could and should be with their physical attributes. We'll see how Evgeny does as he's still very young.
never really watched Malkin but I have watched Vinny for about everygame the past five years and he is one of the best specimens i have ever seen. he throws huge checks and then a minute later he scores a sick goal. the only reason his point totals went down this year is because his wrist was injured for about half of the year

matt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:34 AM
firewagonHOCKEY

I put him in the top 15 but if he has an amazing season with Detroit he could go in as high as top 5. It wasn't that long ago that he was at some point considered the best player in the league.

firewagonHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:36 AM
apetitfor400

Quote:
I'd have told you the very same last year. Check my history. I've been very high on Hossa long before he was a Wing, Penguin, or even Thrasher.
Well, then your high on some bad stuff buddy.

apetitfor400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Kamina
Amok

Top 15, definitely.

Sidney Crosby
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeni Malkin
Joe Thornton
Vincent Lecavalier
Dany Heatley
Jarome Iginla
Henrik Zetterberg
Jason Spezza
Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavel Datsyuk
Daniel Alfredsson
Marian Hossa
Marian Gaborik

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Luongofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
He's clearly behind the following forwards, IMO:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Lecavalier
Malkin
Iginla
Thornton

Then I would say you could argue these players above him:
Alfredsson
Kovalchuk
Heatley

There are some other forwards in the conversation, some young players that need to be more consistent like E. Staal, Getzlaf, Spezza, Kopitar, Richards, etc...

I said top 15, but I could understand people thinking he's at the end of the top 10
What?
Hossa>Heatley?
Hossa>Kovalchuk?
Hossa>Spezza?
Hossa>Alfredsson?
Your saying Hossa is better than everybody in the cash line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Not as good as he should be? Malkin was a Hart candidate! What the hell did Hossa do this year before he was traded to Pittsburgh?
Nothing?

Luongofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Luongo2008*

Top 15

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:28 PM
ThatOneGuy*

A 100 point, defensively responsible, player on a terrible Atlanta team, id say that says it all.

50 goals isn't a ridiculous expectation this season.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:36 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

top 20

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Blackfader*

Hes horribly overrated. Anyone see a team that was led by Marian Hossa? Eliminated in the first round what 5 out 7 years? He just cant lead a team by himself. He will fit in well with detroit but to say hes a top 15 player is crazy. Just look at how much he helped Atlanta. Throw any of those other top 15 guys on Atlanta and theyd be MUCH improved.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:43 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:

i hope every one of your 10000 post count is so wonderful like this one

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote