HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

How good is Marian Hossa?

View Poll Results: How good is Hossa?
Top 5 1 0.36%
Top 10 50 18.25%
Top 15 126 45.99%
Top 20 65 23.72%
Top 25 22 8.03%
Top 30+ 10 3.65%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
i hope every one of your 10000 post count is so wonderful like this one
Not quite. That one is an exceptional specimen.

Would this one be better?

Cherry pickers FTW!!!!!1

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Kiprusoff*

Top 15

Kiprusoff* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
RabbinsDuck

Back when I thought Hossa was never even an option for Detroit, I thought Pittsburgh would be better served retaining Hossa and trading Malkin for a ton of assets.

Hossa was scary in the playoffs and brings a much more complete game. He is not Zetterberg/Datsyuk defensively, definitely a notch below them but well ahead of the other top offensive forwards in the game (defensively).

I know it sounds crazy to trade Malkin at his age especially after a Hart nomination, but Hossa showed me a more complete game, was still in his prime, could play wing to Crosby and could be had for a good amount less than Malkin. Plus, Malkin would reap a huge return in a trade and you can finally get Staal playing center on the 2nd line.

I was ripped apart by Penguins fans for even suggesting it... but I still think they would be a better team for it, especially in the years to come.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Borderline top-10. Top-15 without a doubt.
+1

I agree, damn good.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
WingsLove88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I bet you thought Hossa sucked before he signed with your team... God I can't stand those kind of Red Wings fan... At least, that one isn't the worst I've seen. The guy that said that Holstrom could be a HOFer is.
I can't stand the people who praise Jordan Staal when he hasn't accomplished anything.

I would put Hossa in the top 15 too. On any team... not just Detroit or Pittsburgh...

WingsLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Blackfader*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Back when I thought Hossa was never even an option for Detroit, I thought Pittsburgh would be better served retaining Hossa and trading Malkin for a ton of assets.

Hossa was scary in the playoffs and brings a much more complete game. He is not Zetterberg/Datsyuk defensively, definitely a notch below them but well ahead of the other top offensive forwards in the game (defensively).

I know it sounds crazy to trade Malkin at his age especially after a Hart nomination, but Hossa showed me a more complete game, was still in his prime, could play wing to Crosby and could be had for a good amount less than Malkin. Plus, Malkin would reap a huge return in a trade and you can finally get Staal playing center on the 2nd line.

I was ripped apart by Penguins fans for even suggesting it... but I still think they would be a better team for it, especially in the years to come.
Malkin can lead a team and dominate games. Hossa can't. I really hope that you arent serious. Compare the first 2 years of Hossa and Malkin. Malkin in 5 years will be great defensively and miles ahead of Hossa offensively.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Birko19

Quote:
You're crazy, I know we just got Hossa and all but let's not puke all over it, he's good, but not at the expense of Malkin.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
RabbinsDuck

You are both missing my point.

I am not saying Hossa is better than Malkin, and I am especially not saying Malkin will not prove to be much better than Hossa in years to come.

I am saying the Penguins would be a better TEAM with:

Hossa + whatever huge return they would get from trading Malkin > Malkin alone

Hossa can play wing to Crosby without complaining about it, and obviously had good chemistry with him. Hossa is cheaper than Malkin and can head a PK. It also ensures you can retain Staal in the years to come, and you can finally give Staal the minutes he wants at the position he wants (centering the 2nd line).

Old
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Blackfader*

Quote:
You are both missing my point.

I am not saying Hossa is better than Malkin, and I am especially not saying Malkin will not prove to be much better than Hossa in years to come.

I am saying the Penguins would be a better TEAM with:

Hossa + whatever huge return they would get from trading Malkin > Malkin alone

Hossa can play wing to Crosby without complaining about it, and obviously had good chemistry with him. Hossa is cheaper than Malkin and can head a PK. It also ensures you can retain Staal in the years to come, and you can finally give Staal the minutes he wants at the position he wants (centering the 2nd line).
Hossa didn't take a fair long term offer anyway why would the pens risk that? And the return for Malkin would not be fair for what he brings to the team. PLus Staal is still what 19 or 20? He is not ready to be a second line center with that much offensive responsibility yet. He could hit 40 points this year, 60 we don't know. Depends on his role, but if Crosby goes down i sure as hell don't Want Hossa and Staal leading the team.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:12 AM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Hossa didn't take a fair long term offer anyway why would the pens risk that? And the return for Malkin would not be fair for what he brings to the team. PLus Staal is still what 19 or 20? He is not ready to be a second line center with that much offensive responsibility yet. He could hit 40 points this year, 60 we don't know. Depends on his role, but if Crosby goes down i sure as hell don't Want Hossa and Staal leading the team.
Fair enough... it obviously would hinge on Hossa actually wanting to stay in Pittsburgh.

On paper, it makes sense to me though... but with hindsight, it looks like it would not have worked.