HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Curing Bad Adult Rec Habits: Shift Too Long

Old
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Nbr-17

vCash: 500
Send this out to your teammates:

13 Signs Its Time For a Shift Change

1. If on the fourth face-off of your shift you think you recognize your own center forward from the first face-off: Change
2. Have you skated the length of the ice twice? Change
3. "But I'm not tired" Then you didn't skate hard enough, so Change so that someone who is going to hustle gets a chance to play.
4. Have you been hemmed in your end from the opposing team applying ridiculous pressure? Change
5. "But I didn't touch the puck" Doesn't mean you deserve more ice time, so they can apply more pressure, so you can NOT touch the puck even more, so Change.
6. After 30 seconds of offensive pressure in their zone, they get the puck out and force a face-off in our end. Change.
7. "But it was only 30 seconds!" Yah, but THEY changed. They now have fresh legs in our end against a soon-to-be-bagged line that won't be able to clear the puck because after 20 more seconds they're winded and wished they could get off the ice: So change.
8. After 45 seconds of play in our own zone the puck finally gets cleared: Change
9. "But I thought I could get the puck and have a chance on goal." No, you are too damn tired from playing positional and aggressive defense to skate faster than them. They will get the puck, control it, move it into our zone and you will be trapped again for another minute, lungs and legs burning and completely useless, simply hoping they don't score: So Change
10. 45 Seconds has elapsed. Change
11. "But I'm not tired." Good! Before you get tired, and before you make mistakes because you are tired: Change.
12. The bench is hollering stuff like. "Lets get some fresh legs out there" or "If you're tired get off" or "Change-Up" or "Get the hell off the ice!" Change
13. "I didn't know they were talking to me." They are ALWAYS talking to you, so change.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 02:48 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

Thanks, guys. Definitely some things worth trying.

I realize I forgot to mention that the biggest problem on our team is with the 3rd line: our oldest, slowest, least skilled, and most stubborn players. A shudder goes through me on the bench when I see those lummoxes heading up ice on a "rush" having been out 90 seconds already.

Maybe the best thing to do is just break them up, and count on their centers to fix any lingering problem.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Yes. But the player-coach also plays.

Who watches the watchers?
Dunno. Coast guard?

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
Thanks, guys. Definitely some things worth trying.

I realize I forgot to mention that the biggest problem on our team is with the 3rd line: our oldest, slowest, least skilled, and most stubborn players. A shudder goes through me on the bench when I see those lummoxes heading up ice on a "rush" having been out 90 seconds already.

Maybe the best thing to do is just break them up, and count on their centers to fix any lingering problem.
Sounds like a guy on our team. The slowest, least skilled guy will stay out there for five minutes, barely able to skate from blue line to blue line. He doesn't even pay attention to whose on the ice with him. He once, maybe more, went through a full rotation of linemates while I was the bench getting cold. Half the time he doesn't hear, or pay attention, to players yelling for a change. I'm kind of the utility player on my team, I play whatever positoin is short that game. I do hate when the short position is the one he's playing.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote