HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
elsubz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I am going to be the first person to laugh at all these Habs fans that think the Canucks fans have no chance of landing Sundin. They've belittled the Canucks fans, called them ignorant 'westcoasters' who don't know anything about hockey, among other things that have been said.

If I had to choose right now, I think the Canucks are the frontrunners, not only because of their offer, but because of their team. They have a goalie that can be counted on in the playoffs, not one that lets a team back into a series (Boston) and then gets destroyed in the second round. Canucks have a better Defense, and with Sundin their top 3 lines will match just about any other teams top 3 lines in the league. I would not be surprised to see the canucks be the top team in the league for goal differential this year with Sundin.

Canucks will get Sundin.

You can QUOTE me on that... just please don't alter my quote!
Oh god! The irony in this post is simply amazing!

Old
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Funny thing is that at least two of the highest revenue producing teams and possibly three will be well below the cap because of money they are saving for Sundin.
Well this isn't a particularly new thing. Several high-revenue teams (we'll randomly call them "Canadian") are propping up the salary cap due to high income but seem to have the darndest time getting true high-level free agents to sign with them.

If that situation continues, it'll be interesting to see if it eventually leads to those teams losing attendance, and consequently to a lower salary cap.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
wow!

Unless there's some new interview, a different one than the one posted

I don't see how the Toronto Star came up with the fact that

1. He'll make his decision in 2 weeks (he said in the next few weeks, few weeks could mean 3, 4 or 5 weeks)
2. He never said he'll either play in Toronto or Vancouver

Old
07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Sundin went on to suggest that he'll either play for the Leafs or Vancouver Canucks in 2008-09. "The Maple Leafs are not out of the picture if I decide to play," he said.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hoc...1/6219501.html
I'm not sure I understand how the reporter went from "The Leafs are not out of the picture" to "It's only between the Leafs and Canucks".

To me it says that the Leafs aren't out of the picture. Which we already knew.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Habs4thewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You guys do know that he was ASKED these questions right? He was asked like 4 questions about Vancouver and a couple about Toronto. If he was asked about Montreal, he would of answered them like the other questions. That is what an interview is, the person asks you questions, and you reply to them.
I agree with that...

Anyway, at first, this interview was setup to shed some light on the rumour about Vancouver... Gillis made the offer public, which is something Montreal and Toronto did not...

Unless you are Mats Sundin and his close family, you don't know what's going on in his mind...

We shouldn't discuss about what team is going to play for.... We should discuss if he's going to play period...

When the decision is made, now we would be able to speculate...

For the NHL, I hope he come back...
And If so, I hope he stays in the East.. I like to watch him play

Old
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Africa.

I can't wait for this to be over.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
wow!

1. He'll make his decision in 2 weeks (he said in the next few weeks, few weeks could mean 3, 4 or 5 weeks)
well.... technically, because Sundin said that he will make his decision by the end of July or the beginning August, that does fall within the two week period so in that sense, the 2 week approximate timeline is correct

Old
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
I'm not sure I understand how the reporter went from "The Leafs are not out of the picture" to "It's only between the Leafs and Canucks".

To me it says that the Leafs aren't out of the picture. Which we already knew.
I dunno. I didn't publish it in MY newspaper. Maybe you should ask them. And it was the 'Sun', not the 'Star'.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I dunno. I didn't publish it in MY paper. Maybe you should ask them. And it was the 'Sun', not the 'Star'.
calm down...I wasn't asking you, I was just asking the question generally.

How you got from my post that I was talking directly to you, i'm not sure???

Old
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Habs fans:

Old
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM

Well offereing 20M over 2 years to a player of Mats Sundin's caliber was shocking to me...

Seems Mats' himself thinks so as well

Old
07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Habs fans:
A map of Egypt?

I must be missing something.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
A map of Egypt?

It's a river in Egypt my man.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Habs fans:
Yes, we are in denial that Sundin has already signed with the Canucks. Mainly because it isn't true. But don't try telling that to any Vancouver fans...

Like I said before, only Canucks fans could read "I definitely haven't decided to play in Vancouver" and "if it was all about the money, I would have signed in Vancouver already" as encouraging signs.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
A map of Egypt?

No argument here.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yes, we are in denial that Sundin has already signed with the Canucks. Mainly because it isn't true. But don't try telling that to any Vancouver fans...

Like I said before, only Canucks fans could read "I definitely haven't decided to play in Vancouver" and "if it was all about the money, I would have signed in Vancouver already" as encouraging signs.
Funny how you read so much into me posting one image.

I've been of the belief that if Sundin comes back, it won't be for a team like Montreal or Ottawa. And yes, I understand that Gilmour played for the Habs, but that was after he had put some time between his stint in Toronto and his appearance in a Habs sweater.

All the article talked about was Toronto/Vancouver being in the running. There was zero mention of Montreal in that article and the writer implied that the choice was between the two cities.

Everything being equal, I'll take the opinion of a sports writer who has spoken to Mats himself over someone on a message board, even if he is pushing his own agenda.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
wow!

A direct quote from Mats in that article says that he'd make a decision by end of July/early August, which would mean, at most, 2.5 weeks IMO.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
A direct quote from Mats in that article says that he'd make a decision by end of July/early August, which would mean, at most, 2.5 weeks IMO.

didn't read that far...my bad

Old
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

as a canuck fan, I'm still going to assume that he's not going to sign in Vancouver.

why? because rumours do little to change the fact that in situations such as these, the canucks nearly aways come out of the bottom. when you consider the amount of luck this franchise has had, how can anyone be optimistic about this situation?

The canucks have lucked out maybe twice in their almost 40 yr history. I'm playing the averages here... chances are much better than Sundin doesn't sign with the canucks, ends up signing with the Avs alongside Sakic, playing a key part against the canucks in the NW division as he helps knock Vancouver out of the playoffs.

Once Sundin officially rejects the offer, canuck fans will then be left arguing about who fills in the other top 6 center spot - Wellwood, Krog or Shannon

that there is the true life of a canuck fan!!

Old
07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
AH

Quote:

I've been of the belief that if Sundin comes back, it won't be for a team like Montreal or Ottawa. And yes, I understand that Gilmour played for the Habs, but that was after he had put some time between his stint in Toronto and his appearance in a Habs sweater.

All the article talked about was Toronto/Vancouver being in the running. There was zero mention of Montreal in that article and the writer implied that the choice was between the two cities.

Everything being equal, I'll take the opinion of a sports writer who has spoken to Mats himself over someone on a message board, even if he is pushing his own agenda.
The Sun article is a translation of the Swedish article. Montreal Is mentioned. just because the Sun version cherry picked the information from the original article, it doesn't make it so.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
My opinion is that it is between Montreal and Toronto and Sundin just doesn't want to give out any info so the ball is in his agents court at all times.

Personally I think Vancouver is his fall back plan. He knows he can sign abroad for around the same type of coin if Vancouver some how does blow all their cap space before he makes his decision, and he'd probably rather stay a leaf if he wanted to play for a bad team or go to a real contender like the habs.

1) Habs already made the best aquisition in the East this summer. (Tanguay)

2) Habs were already a 1st place team in the east and Sundin wants to play in the East preferably.

3) He wants to play for a serious contender, I honestly don't even think Vancouver will make the playoffs, with Sundin I think they would but in 6th to 8th place. With the habs he can win a cup now, with TO he can stay with the team that he has been with for like 13 seasons.

I just don't see him signing in Vancouver. I think Vancouver is going to get the short end of the stick here cause I think he'd go to TO before VAN, both are hardly contenders without him so he'd prolly just stick to the team he's compfortable with if he can't go on a team that is a serious contender from the East. (Detroit might be in the western conference but they are really close to TO and though I doubt they have the cap room, they could make a move or get him to take a paycut for a serious shot at the cup)

Vancouver has nothing to offer but $.

A) They're a western team, Sundin wants to play in the East.
B) They're only really offering him 2$million a season more then anyone else who has made offers to him, except one of those teams is his team, the other is a serious contender.

imo what will happen, all the good ufas get sucked up, van gets stuck with 10 million in space cause Sundin doesn't sign there in the end, personally I think Toronto has more of a shot then Van does, they just aren't a strong enough team to merit him signing there, they don't have the proven chemistry MTL does, they just signed Demitra and expect him to play well with their current roster which sucked to begin with. I just don't c any reason other than $ sundin would sign there, and even then he can make that type of coin outside the NHL if he wanted to play for a non-contender
thank you lol.. i bet nucks fans have been cryin all day over this post

Old
07-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:

What's funny is how you read that Sundin is going to sign in Toronto or Vancouver based on his comments in that Sweedish paper or that poorly written Toronto Sun article

Sundin may sign in Vancouver or in Toronto...but nothing in that interview shows that he will or that he's leaning towards one team more than the other.

Does no one understand that for him to decide WHERE he's going to play, he must first decide IF he's going to play? Of course the Canucks offer blew him away, of course Toronto is still an option as they're close to his heart and of course he came away really impressed after speaking with Gainey

But still, with all that, he's still undecided...

Old
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
thank you lol.. i bet nucks fans have been cryin all day over this post
Not really, considering that post is highly subjective and riddled with inaccuracies.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Habsaholic

Im sorry, but 'nucks are out and have been, for Sundin to say differently woul dbe foolish right now, heck to say anyone is out would be foolish as it would lower his bargaining position. Fellow Habs fans, I am sorry but I think our chances are lessening too. I though a few weeks ago for sure the Laffs had no chance, now they look like the clear front runner. Its between the Leafs and the Habs, Vancouver needed to make a silly offer to even peak his interest, which it did, but he wont be a nuch this year and most likely wont be a Hab either, that sucks!

Old
07-21-2008, 03:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
So you weren't posting your image with the insinuation that Hab fans were in denial? I'll bet.

Closed Thread