HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New goalie questions

Old
09-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Albino14u

vCash: 500
New goalie questions

Its for my son but since he's only almost 5, I think its best that I post this I just need to find out what I stepped into here.

He just started a mini-mite program as a goalie since thats all he talks about and wants to be when he "grows up". So, to the questions...

The rink gave us some gear but none of it really fits and they don't seem to care because the program is free for goalies, is this typical and am I wrong for being very frustrated by this (thats a understatement btw)?

Where are good places to find used goalie gear that will fit a child that is only 44" tall?

I get the feeling (after only the evaluation skate) that the mini-mites won't work with the goalies very much, is this accurate?

The coaching staff is excellent but the management head seems to be lacking a understanding of kids, hockey and the programs she's in charge of. How upset should I be, in a free program that they said they would loan us the goalie gear 5 days before the program started but then ended up giving it to us the day of and then having to figure out how to put it on while the class has started (we did get their early)?

I don't want to be that annoying parent so I try to be as respectful as possible but its getting extremely difficult. I'm going to try and talk to the other goalie parents and hopefully that will help but when dealing with a very motivated almost 5 year old, I don't want to let him down. Right now I feel that getting properly fitting gear is the best I can do, aside from playing lots of hockey in our living room at his request.

I'll check back tomorrow and I'll probably have more questions with your answers.

Albino14u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albino14u View Post
Its for my son but since he's only almost 5, I think its best that I post this I just need to find out what I stepped into here.

He just started a mini-mite program as a goalie since thats all he talks about and wants to be when he "grows up". So, to the questions...

The rink gave us some gear but none of it really fits and they don't seem to care because the program is free for goalies, is this typical and am I wrong for being very frustrated by this (thats a understatement btw)?

Where are good places to find used goalie gear that will fit a child that is only 44" tall?

I get the feeling (after only the evaluation skate) that the mini-mites won't work with the goalies very much, is this accurate?

The coaching staff is excellent but the management head seems to be lacking a understanding of kids, hockey and the programs she's in charge of. How upset should I be, in a free program that they said they would loan us the goalie gear 5 days before the program started but then ended up giving it to us the day of and then having to figure out how to put it on while the class has started (we did get their early)?

I don't want to be that annoying parent so I try to be as respectful as possible but its getting extremely difficult. I'm going to try and talk to the other goalie parents and hopefully that will help but when dealing with a very motivated almost 5 year old, I don't want to let him down. Right now I feel that getting properly fitting gear is the best I can do, aside from playing lots of hockey in our living room at his request.

I'll check back tomorrow and I'll probably have more questions with your answers.
First and foremost HOCKEY should be FUN for you and your kid!

At your sons age the goalie training will consist of the coach screaming "Lay DOWN, LAY DOWN!" because even if the kid has perfict fitting goalie pads they will have a hard time moving in them.

My son is now 10 years old and playing AA hockey in the GTHL it has been a long and very educational road getting there. He has been a goalie since day one and has had goalie pads since day one.
Most kids that want to play net at a young age think that they won't have to skate. I know my son thought that he would not have to do the skating drills and so on. I made my kid skate as well as his friend that was playing super 7 hockey before I bought him his first set of pads which took about 6 months of weekends and holidays but he did get close enough to encourage me to buy the pads. Since he started house league we have had varied levels of goalie coaching through the years at house league level. Once he got to rep hockey (AE) the goalie coaching during team practices was more yelling "Stop the damn puck" and then an hour at 8:00 AM with a goalie school. I have paid for extra goalie coaches for the last 3 years for my son, and I watched my son being neglected on the ice by coaches who have their kid playing net on the team. Being a goalie parent is nucking fruts, if you can get out of it get out now especially if you are already getting frustrated when your son is age 5 and just starting.

Most kids that think that they want to play net at young ages and house league level end up filling in once and coming off the ice saying "I don't ever want to do that again" with a tear in there eye. As well the team will always blame the goalkeeping for a loss rather than admit that the 5 kids that the puck got through before the shot was taken from the hash-marks in the slot did not do their jobs.

Now my best advice to you for the next 3 years is to read books, watch Video about goal-tending, work with your kid a little in the driveway always making things a game and laughing at mistakes and over praising the good things. Or you can just go Insane and working on a ulcer. at 5 years old most kids just are not going to have the large motor control they need to invest in goalie coaches.

My best advice to you is relax and celebrate the losses just like you would celebrate a win. At this age just tell him how good he is doing all the time and if you skate stick and puck with him teach him where the crease is in a fun way.

here are some good drills for a young goalie to do. and don't try to do then all in the hour your on the ice. pick one and have him do it slowly and correctly for 2 or 3 times and then play games and make sure he gets hit with the puck (Stops the puck).

http://www.usahockey.com/usahgoalies...F_10&ID=245894

It gets more stressful the better your son gets. make this the time of your life now or you might regret it later.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
pelts35.com

At 5 I'm surprised that the program would want goalies. The couple of programs that I looked into don't use goalies at all. Instead they want the kids to learn how to skate and just have fun.

The goalie coach that I go to runs one of these programs and told me that he can tell which kids want to play goal because they tend to hang back and try to stop the puck from going in the net. Given that kids have no power behind their shot and can't elevate the puck it's not all that important to have goalie gear.

That said, I did get my 5 year old son a Bauer Prodigy glove and blocker (when I went to Planet Goalie for my glove, my son saw them, so how could I not get them for him ) and will toss tennis balls at him in the living room.

He started learn to play last night and had a blast. However, watching it from the bleachers I can honestly tell you that I don't think that if he played goal it would be any fun for him.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Malreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
At 5 I'm surprised that the program would want goalies. The couple of programs that I looked into don't use goalies at all. Instead they want the kids to learn how to skate and just have fun.

The goalie coach that I go to runs one of these programs and told me that he can tell which kids want to play goal because they tend to hang back and try to stop the puck from going in the net. Given that kids have no power behind their shot and can't elevate the puck it's not all that important to have goalie gear.

That said, I did get my 5 year old son a Bauer Prodigy glove and blocker (when I went to Planet Goalie for my glove, my son saw them, so how could I not get them for him ) and will toss tennis balls at him in the living room.

He started learn to play last night and had a blast. However, watching it from the bleachers I can honestly tell you that I don't think that if he played goal it would be any fun for him.
This.

There's no point in having a set goalie at that age level. In my area, there are no goalies in the practices, and when they play games at "Festivals" against other cities, kids take turns playing goalie.

He should just be focusing on his skating ability at that age. Even with the smaller pucks that they use(at least in our area they use lighter pucks at that age), none of the kids can lift it or even shoot that hard.

And also, about the whole not getting the gear ahead of time thing, just remember all the coaches and organizers are all volunteers and do this in their spare time. As some one who has put a lot of time into minor hockey the last 5 years, I can tell you that getting a 4 year old goalie gear wouldn't exactly be high on my priority list.

Also, the organization will only have a few sets(if that) of goalie gear at that level in general sizes, so if it doesn't fit then there's not much they can do, especially considering the points in my first paragraph about goalies at this age.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Gino 14

Relax and let your son enjoy the moment. He needs some encouragement from you and lots of support no matter where he plays. He won't care that the equipment doesn't fit, he doesn't even know how to use it yet. Let him decide how he wants to handle all of this, don't try and steer him too much. Remember, the game is for him to enjoy, you to watch.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 01:51 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
I need to add that there are less spots for goalies and it's a political world in minor hockey. after my first post I got an email from my sons coach and there is an import issue with the team. We might be the family left on the curb because of this issue. Its awfully late in the season to drop this bomb eh!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 02:48 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I need to add that there are less spots for goalies and it's a political world in minor hockey. after my first post I got an email from my sons coach and there is an import issue with the team. We might be the family left on the curb because of this issue. Its awfully late in the season to drop this bomb eh!
Personally I think it would be very awkward to start a young kid as a goalie and that the kid would end up feeling alienated since all of the other kids are skating and passing among themselves.

IMO the best thing to do is to have a young kid join the rest of the kids in "regular" gear, learn how to skate properly and have fun with the other kids. As I posted before, if he wants to be a goalie, he will probably gravitate towards the goal when they play mini-games and you can certainly do off ice drills with a blocker and glove in the meantime.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Albino14u

I am doing everything I can to keep it fun for him. Him being a goalie is totally his decision. My goal is for him to have fun and enjoy it but it was hard watching him struggle but with leg pads on, that's expected. Everyone's always told him/us that "the goalie has to be the best skater" so I'm making sure he stays in his skating classes. His skating class coach thought he was ready to move up but I didn't so I held him back and then he did a make-up class and that coach also thought that he wasn't quite ready to move up so I made a good call. He did ask after Saturday if he could skate out next time so I told him that after this 10 week class is up, he can skate out if he wants to. So far he accepts that and is still telling me that he really wants to be a goalie. He will continue his skating classes untill he finishes all that are offered and then he will choose if he wants to be a goalie or not (at least thats the plan for now). A few weeks ago I wanted to make sure that he knew what he was getting into so I told him that "you know goalies don't shoot the puck or score any goals" he told me, "yes daddy I know". He listens to his coaches and try's really hard, so as long as HE wants to, we will continue to support his decision to be a goalie and play hockey.

I have gotten a couple goalie training books already and one (Hockey goaltending by Brian Daccord) came with a DVD so I show him a little bit at a time of the DVD. We toss nerf balls at his gloves and he loves hitting back. nobody in his mini-mite class can lift the puck yet so I'm thinking I won't send him out there with his goalie glove yet. That can come later, for now, minimize the struggling and keep it fun. I've taped a big nob on his goalie stick to help him get it off the ice easier. We play at home several times a day by his request and I make sure to put the leg pads on him to get him used to it and he's loving it but he can't do a butterfly in them no matter how hard he tries.

Thanks everyone for the input, I think I'm already doing alot of things right. If he's still really really struggling after 2 more weeks I might see if they will let me switch him to a non-goalie spot. The facility is a high end rink so I think I just expect better out of them when they are in paid full time positions and not volunteers.

Albino14u is offline   Reply With Quote