HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Things You Don't Understand

Old
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
TasteofFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
A little of the ol' Socratic method for you.

"How do you know that truth can actually exist in the White House?"
Is the truth real, or is it only what the masses are willing to accept as true?
/me

I'm really not a fan of philosophy, or maybe I just hate thinking deeply...when sober

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
Not necessarily, though I could see what you mean. Its more a measure of one's personal moral code. What I mean is (an admitted oversimplification of the idea):

I wouldn't normally throw a brick through a storefront because they wouldn't take my return, its causes property damage and could potentially harm a patron. Then, say a few days later, I see a group of people throwing bricks at said store and I join in. Now, what I considered wrong when it was just myself is now perfectly acceptable because their are other people doing it. Why? Is it because I'm insulated from consequence and (probably) won't be arrested or did I just not want to call attention to myself before and didn't really consider it a wrongful action.
Just because you are hurling bricks in a group, that does not make it acceptable.

You have deeper issues.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Not necessarily, though I could see what you mean. Its more a measure of one's personal moral code. What I mean is (an admitted oversimplification of the idea):

I wouldn't normally throw a brick through a storefront because they wouldn't take my return, its causes property damage and could potentially harm a patron. Then, say a few days later, I see a group of people throwing bricks at said store and I join in. Now, what I considered wrong when it was just myself is now perfectly acceptable because their are other people doing it. Why? Is it because I'm insulated from consequence and (probably) won't be arrested or did I just not want to call attention to myself before and didn't really consider it a wrongful action.

Good point. Good point. Yet, that's the problem with this whole thing, there are many things you must define before you even get "there".

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:16 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Jeff Fingers contract
Haha, saw that one coming

- I don't understand baseball and why people think it's so entertaining. Same with NASCAR (unless there's crashes, but I feel morally evil when I hope for a car crash)

- I don't understand why people have to wage wars over religion. Let's just accept that we all have different beliefs

- I don't understand how humans only use around 10% of their brain power. We've learned so much about the universe using only 10 % of our brains, imagine if we could use our full brain power

- I don't understand why we elected Bush to a second term. I don't understand why we elected him in the first place. And I really don't understand how in 8 years, this one man and his administration have turned America into one of the most despised countries in the world after there was so much prosperity under Clinton

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan View Post
- I don't understand how humans only use around 10% of their brain power. We've learned so much about the universe using only 10 % of our brains, imagine if we could use our full brain power
Just for the record: People only use 10% of their brain at any given time. We use more than the 10% that is quoted, but not all at once. Different parts of the brain react to different stimuli. Think of your brain as a computer. Do you use all 3 GHz of your processor at one time? That being said, if we could train our brains to use another part to run calculations in sync with what is generally in use (think dual-core), who knows what could happen.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan View Post
I don't understand how humans only use around 10% of their brain power. We've learned so much about the universe using only 10 % of our brains, imagine if we could use our full brain power
That's been proven false, we use almost 100% of our brain in any given day.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Rigger, buddy what happened? I disagreed with one of your lineups again? Sorry my man, it shouldn't be punishable enough to have the back of a Vancouver fan. That's crazy.
Hey, the crazies need people in their corner too, haha.

Was it the pee or the 2-6 though, seriously, haha. I kid, I kid.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:01 PM
invictus

I will never understand how and why people are so heartless and vicious towards each other.

I mean, whether you are religious or not, I think we can all agree that in this life, all we really have is each other.

I just hate pettiness and such. So many evil things grow from jealousy and peer pressure

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I will never understand how and why people are so heartless and vicious towards each other.

I mean, whether you are religious or not, I think we can all agree that in this life, all we really have is each other.

I just hate pettiness and such. So many evil things grow from jealousy and peer pressure
Out of the dark night that envelopes me.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:21 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Some People still smoke in public and don't consider it terribly rude while passing gas in public is still considered extremly rude.
In a similar vein, can we restrict the use of colognes and perfumes in public too? I nearly choked to death on the shuttle bus to work after some guy wearing a boatload of strong cologne sat in front of me.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I'll tell you what I don't understand:

-Why is it that all the "People You May Know" on Facebook are people you don't know and have possibly never heard of in your entire life?
it is simple. They are people you may know because they are friends with some of your friends, so because they know the same people as you, you may know them also.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Some People still smoke in public and don't consider it terribly rude while passing gas in public is still considered extremly rude.
In a similar vein, can we restrict the use of colognes and perfumes in public too? I nearly choked to death on the shuttle bus to work after some guy wearing a boatload of strong cologne sat in front of me.
maybe you should just stay inside your house from now on.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
maybe you should just stay inside your house from now on.
Naw, I think I'll walk around with my spray can of pesticides and spray it around people who smoke. Then we'd be even.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Naw, I think I'll walk around with my spray can of pesticides and spray it around people who smoke. Then we'd be even.

So when are you going to start blowing up Humvee dealerships? Only a matter of time I figure.

Old
07-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
I don't understand Engrish.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:26 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
it is simple. They are people you may know because they are friends with some of your friends, so because they know the same people as you, you may know them also.
That sounds like something Caboose would say.

Quote:
Might have something to do with a couple of PTAs wanting their children to learn about "intelligent design" in science class. Sounds like a sound reason to not want your kids here (I'm a former GA HS student). I'm not hating on religion here, but God gets Sunday School and Darwin gets Science class.
Actually, it has nothing to do with that... like, at all.

My mom took me and my younger sister to Georgia for the weekend to meet her new boyfriend, and my father (they ARE divorced, for the record) had a fit and said he was taking her to court.

Quote:
I don't understand the full on hate for sunbelt teams. I can understand people's frustration/anger with losing their team in Winnipeg, Hartford, ect, but why wish that same anguish on another fan?
Because we don't "understand" what "hockey" is or "how it works."

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:27 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Take a lighter and do your Rorschach impression!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

I'm fascinated with death in car accidents. It happens so often, yet such little care from motorists.....

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:25 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
So when are you going to start blowing up Humvee dealerships? Only a matter of time I figure.
Why would I do that? i just want to enjoy the refreshing smell of pesticides without persecution, and as long as I do it outside at least a foot or two away from the nearest person, why should anyone cramp my style?

....You see how ridiculous that sounds? Yet that is the kind of thing I read from smokers complaining in the papers/on the netall the time. Take your deathsticks and go stand well away from others, or go smoke in private.

Old
07-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I don't understand how people can enjoy eating olives. They are absolutely ****ing disgusting.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Why would I do that? i just want to enjoy the refreshing smell of pesticides without persecution, and as long as I do it outside at least a foot or two away from the nearest person, why should anyone cramp my style?

....You see how ridiculous that sounds? Yet that is the kind of thing I read from smokers complaining in the papers/on the netall the time. Take your deathsticks and go stand well away from others, or go smoke in private.
i dont smoke, and i hate being around smokers just as much as the next guy, but telling them that they have to smoke somewhere else or go smoke in private is taking away their "freedoms" is it not? Although at my school they do stand right in front of the entrance doors smoking and i have to walk through that cloud of smoke to get inside is really irritating and wish that they would stand at the bottom of the steps, but who am I to tell them what they can and cannot do. I think it's common courtesy to smoke in an area that will not bother other people.

I think most places deal with smoking very well. A lot of places have designated area's for smokers and most restaurants have a smoking and non smoking section. Yes some smokers are rude and inconsiderate of others around them who do not smoke, but everyone is rude and inconsiderate in one way or another.

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:15 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Just for the record: People only use 10% of their brain at any given time. We use more than the 10% that is quoted, but not all at once. Different parts of the brain react to different stimuli. Think of your brain as a computer. Do you use all 3 GHz of your processor at one time? That being said, if we could train our brains to use another part to run calculations in sync with what is generally in use (think dual-core), who knows what could happen.
Id just like to inform you to stop perpetuating this MYTH. Can't believe some people still think this...

here, just for you: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

But what i REALLY want to know is: Who is JCD?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post

Seeing the Pens beat down on your team year after year in the playoffs breeds this kind of hostility .

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Id just like to inform you to stop perpetuating this MYTH. Can't believe some people still think this...

here, just for you: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

But what i REALLY want to know is: Who is JCD?
You apparently missed the point of my post. I was saying we use the entirety of our brain, just not all at once.

Old
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Seeing the Pens beat down on your team year after year in the playoffs breeds this kind of hostility .
I'm sorry man. Can't we all just get along? Next time I'm in the DC area, somebody is getting a hug

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote