HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

looks like Lowe was wrong about Burke gutting the Ducks

Old
07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
NMK

vCash: 500
That article is funny if you read it. The first paragraph says that they will be banking on the kids to perform this year and there are spots for them on the roster behind their 2007 stanley cup winning vets, but the only guy who even gets mentioned as having a shot of making the team is Ryan. The rest they overtly say will be playing in college or junior or the AHL.
And lets be honest... what 2nd overall pick has taken so long to get to the NHL as Bobby Ryan? He will be an above-average 2nd liner in the NHL. You should have a near franchise-player pick at #2.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:39 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
That article is funny if you read it. The first paragraph says that they will be banking on the kids to perform this year and there are spots for them on the roster behind their 2007 stanley cup winning vets, but the only guy who even gets mentioned as having a shot of making the team is Ryan. The rest they overtly say will be playing in college or junior or the AHL.
And lets be honest... what 2nd overall pick has taken so long to get to the NHL as Bobby Ryan? He will be an above-average 2nd liner in the NHL. You should have a near franchise-player pick at #2.
Second overall picks from 1995 to 2005:

1995: Wade Redden
1996: Andrei Zyuzin
1997: Patrick Marleau
1998: David Legwand
1999: Daniel Sedin
2000: Dany Heatley
2001: Jason Spezza
2002: Kari Lehtonen
2003: Eric Staal
2004: Evgeni Malkin
2005: Bobby Ryan

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post

Ryan is Burkie's Pouliot. May end up being a good enough player, but there were so much better options--Price, Kopitar, Staal are just a few examples of franchise players Burkie could have at #2, not to mention many others who will probably end up being better players than Ryan (JJ, Lee, Cogliano, Stastny etc).

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Ryan is Burkie's Pouliot. May end up being a good enough player, but there were so much better options--Price, Kopitar, Staal are just a few examples of franchise players Burkie could have at #2, not to mention many others who will probably end up being better players than Ryan (JJ, Lee, Cogliano, Stastny etc).
Stastny was the steal of that draft for sure. There is no way Bobby Ryan is ever a better NHL player than Stastny already is. Stastny is 16 months older than Ryan, and is already a PPG player. In the NHL, not the AHL like Ryan is...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have a theory on that. I think Rob Niedermayer wouldn't be making $2M a year in Anaheim if Scott didn't happen to sign with the Ducks. As a matter of fact, I don't think Rob Nidermayer is living in SoCal at all if his brother doesn't sign here...

It's just a theory.

edit: Of course, it still doesn't make SN a saint. I can't believe how little bad press he's gotten after pulling that stunt.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Either he told SN he would give RN extra money (not unlikely)--2.2M at the time was a lot of money for an above average 3d line checker. The equivalent today would be around 3-3.5M, which would be totally crazy, especially given Burke's known proclivity to lowball role players.

It could also be that Burkie hinted to SN that his brother would get traded (and his family would get to deal with the consequences of moving to a new city). This is probably not very likely, but...for some reason Burkie is the one guy I can picture doing it. Just can't imagine Sutter, Lowe, Holland or Lamoriello in the same role...Maybe I am just biased against Burkie

I do think Scotty has screwed Burkie royally and I hope he's not finished yet. There's nothing else I would enjoy more than Burkie trading Schneider for a bag of pucks to make space for the BC Hamlet only to find out a few days later that Scotty is hanging them up...again

Last edited by tiger_80: 07-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old
07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Mr Sakich

can someone come up with a list of teams with 5.75 million left in this years' budget who are willing to risk it on a 39 year old dman? The only obvious ones are:

atlanta - losing lots of money, no need to go over the floor and this would do it.

columbus - already have 7 dmen signed, Howson has strong ties to Lowe and might not want to help out Poopy Pants Brian.

nyi - the stink of Milbury will never leave that franchise so anything is possible

that is about it. There have been rumours of Schnieder getting moved but Burke is going to have to eat a smaller bad contract in return like he did Marchant for Fedorov.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
can someone come up with a list of teams with 5.75 million left in this years' budget who are willing to risk it on a 39 year old dman? The only obvious ones are:

atlanta - losing lots of money, no need to go over the floor and this would do it.

columbus - already have 7 dmen signed, Howson has strong ties to Lowe and might not want to help out Poopy Pants Brian.

nyi - the stink of Milbury will never leave that franchise so anything is possible

that is about it. There have been rumours of Schnieder getting moved but Burke is going to have to eat a smaller bad contract in return like he did Marchant for Fedorov.
It's a one year deal, so moving Schneider won't be too difficult. Teams that missed on UFAs might be willing to take a chance. Perhaps, even TOR uses it as an opportunity to shed some bad contracts--e.g. Schneider for Blake. Then move Kubina for assets. I think there are some possibilities..

Old
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
mullet

Just another aside on this subject. Everyone is worried about the oilers/Lowe's moves to attrack talent. Most posters specifically mentiong Lupul and Pikananen (sp) and how lowe acquiring them and then moving them the next year says something to free agents. They mention that souray had doubts and even he had to be overpaid to come home. Posters have even contemplated moving souray saying it was a desperation move and that lowe should move the contract (if he waives his NTC) where others say this will further damage his credibility with free agents. How come nobody is make a big deal about getting bert and cutting him the next year, making schneider the third wheel with neids/selanne popping in and out, losing young talent. To me those are bigger issues that players look at when determining where to go. he has the good fortune of a team coming of a recent championship and some decent weather or he would be up the creek.

mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

it is on the front page of nhl.com, a big bold story about all the kids who are poised to become stars this year for the Ducks. Nice big picture of Bobby Ryan.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=368665

only problem with the story is that the Ducks allready have 23 guys signed to NHL contracts this year without the kids. They also are 2.2 million over the cap and these kids carry signing bonusses which have to be applied to this years cap.

Burke has backed himself into another corner - he can't play any of the kids this year even if they earn a spot. His shrewd signings of Eric Boguniecki, Montador, and Morrison have taken the roster spots and cap room.
Montdor=signed to be 6/7 dman

Boguniecky=signed for Iowa/Injury callup

Morrison=If I have to explain this one you obviously are not interested in a real disucssion.

It seems like more people who hate the ducks are more concerned about the cap than we are..lol.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:15 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
Bingo! You nailed it. There is no doubt that this is a timely damage control PR project.
Actually the article is the first in a series of prospect articles for all 30 teams. It's not any kind of specific PR by the Ducks or the league. Your team gets on on Aug 4th. http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

That out of the way, back to the Ducks/Burke ridicule.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:17 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Montdor=signed to be 6/7 dman

Boguniecky=signed for Iowa/Injury callup

Morrison=If I have to explain this one you obviously are not interested in a real disucssion.

It seems like more people who hate the ducks are more concerned about the cap than we are..lol.

Whether you are concerned or not is an interesting question, but it hardly matters-- your GM will have to sort the mess he prevously created.

Ther truth is SN and Selanne's coming back pushes Ducks' WAY over the cap (not to mention the 50M budget). Burkie will have to dump salary and a lot of it. Schneider is a good start, but i don't think that would be enough, so look for Rob Niedermeyer getting moved as well.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Whether you are concerned or not is an interesting question, but it hardly matters-- your GM will have to sort the mess he prevously created.

Ther truth is SN and Selanne's coming back pushes Ducks' WAY over the cap (not to mention the 50M budget). Burkie will have to dump salary and a lot of it. Schneider is a good start, but i don't think that would be enough, so look for Rob Niedermeyer getting moved as well.
Rob is not getting moved.

It's hardly a mess...2 million over the cap..BFD. there's still 3 months until the season starts.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:29 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Rob is not getting moved.

It's hardly a mess...2 million over the cap..BFD. there's still 3 months until the season starts.
What about Selanne? He probably will get at least 5M--no?

Also, which Ducks' players can be moved without hurting the team?

Giguerre?--I don't think so. Pronger? SN? Getzlaf? Perry? Kunitz?

Others don't make a lot of money and are a good value anyways (Pahlsson, Beauchemin, Moen). That pretty much leaves Schneider and RN as the only options.

Marchant would be the other, but I think Burkie tried to get TM to waive his NTC before and has not succeeded? Am I wrong?

Also, a portion of Bertuzzi's buy-out will count towards the cap, which I believe is 1M for the next 2 years. But I could be wrong on this one. That does not leave a lot of wiggle room, especially with the ownership problems and the self-imposed budget.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Randall Graves*

I can tell you right now Selanne will take less than 5 million with the ducks. If he plays it's to try and get another cup, not to 'cash in' if he were going to 'cash in' he would've done it already.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I can tell you right now Selanne will take less than 5 million with the ducks. If he plays it's to try and get another cup, not to 'cash in' if he were going to 'cash in' he would've done it already.

5M is already a home-town discount. He could easily get 6.5M on the market.
But assuming you are right and Selanne signs at the poultry 4M, that still pushes Ducks 6M over the cap+1M of Bertuzzi's buy-out--that's 7M.

Say you move Schneider's contract--you are still about 1.5M over the cap. Somebody has to go just to get under 56.6M. And you also need about 1-2M safety valve for injuries' call-ups or late season trades.

And this is assuming Ducks spend TO THE CAP.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:46 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Burke seems to me to be the type of GM who doesn't care about the long term because he doesn't plan on being there long term. He has a piss poor draft record and he is one year away from ditching the horrendous problems he is creating and heading over to Toronto to start the cycle over again. Wow, to think people used to consider this guy a top GM. As MacT said, the curtain has opened on the Burke.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Actually the article is the first in a series of prospect articles for all 30 teams. It's not any kind of specific PR by the Ducks or the league. Your team gets on on Aug 4th. http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

How convenient that Burkies Ducks got chosen to be first, and that the article kisses Burke's ****. I bet the Oilers article will b about Lowes failed attempts to sign every fre agent this off-season.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Offshore Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Burke seems to me to be the type of GM who doesn't care about the long term because he doesn't plan on being there long term. He has a piss poor draft record and he is one year away from ditching the horrendous problems he is creating and heading over to Toronto to start the cycle over again. Wow, to think people used to consider this guy a top GM. As MacT said, the curtain has opened on the Burke.
That puts everything in a nice perspective. To be fair, that "greedy, short-term" mentality is what snagged him CFP... Amazing what winning does... "the Cup changes everything" they say - but there's still hope that Burke gets what he deserved - the afterglow only lasted 4 years for Feaster.

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
theoil

Quote:
I have never seen a single post here that indicated any bad feelings towards the ducks. The Moron on the other hand? Well, he deserves ridicule and we all just want to see him get what he deserves.

And I have no idea why being The Moron's inability to count very well would be a cause for laughter.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post

I love your guys Avatar themes of "........'s gonna get it", they are awesome.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:32 PM
bbad

Come on Anahiem has an average prospect pool at best and as for Bobby Ryan, Cogliano was picked 23 spots later and had 82 18 27 45 points last year in the NHL. Man talk about trying to put a positive spin on things.

bbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Pretty much sums it up

edit: here's the link if the pic doesnt work http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...CA231%26sa%3DN

Old
07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
How convenient that Burkies Ducks got chosen to be first, and that the article kisses Burke's ****. I bet the Oilers article will b about Lowes failed attempts to sign every fre agent this off-season.
Maybe they were just going alphabetically

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:11 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Maybe they were just going alphabetically
Since that is the only way to make a list like i said its very conveniant.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Julio18

Nope - definitely not alphabetical. Probably just a coincidence that the Ducks are first in line. This can't be construed in any other manner - it screams damage control for the fickle fans in la la land.

Whatever - I really couldn't care less about the whole schpeal anyway. Burke got what he wanted anyway; his time in the controversial lime light. Why not just pay some celebs to come out and have TMZ do the rest.

JULY
Anaheim
Ducks

Atlanta
Thrashers

Chicago
Blackhawks

Boston
Bruins

Colorado
Avalanche

New Jersey