HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Best organization in the KHL?

View Poll Results: The best organization in the KHL?
SKA St.Petersburg 4 12.90%
CSKA Moscow 2 6.45%
Salavat Yulaev Ufa 0 0%
Ak Bars Kazan 0 0%
Metallurg Magnitogorsk 2 6.45%
Dynamo Moscow 3 9.68%
Avangard Omsk 2 6.45%
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl 8 25.81%
Jokerit Helsinki 10 32.26%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Best organization in the KHL?

What is the best organization in the KHL? The criterias are

- Consistency and success on the ice
- Arena and overall hockey infrastructure
- Junior development
- Fan community and following of the club, atmosphere in the games
- TV-product
- Overall professionalism in all of the activity

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 10:38 PM
SoundAndFury

I will go with Loko. Extremely powerful and efficient hockey pyramid, arguably best hockey school in the country, reasonable on-ice success for a team on a budget, no hot-headed decision, no firing players after one week, no hiring Nazarov as a coach, no shady trasfers, great fans. Just an honest hard-working organization which seems to treat everyone with respect.

Obviously Yaroslavl isn't the biggest of markets and there are issues and downsides related to that but overall I'd say it's still Loko.

"Here's a statistic, the average person in the world has less than 2 legs. Which is absolutely correct but somewhat misleading."
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
What is the best organization in the KHL? The criterias are

- Consistency and success on the ice
- Arena and overall hockey infrastructure
- Junior development
- Fan community and following of the club, atmosphere in the games
- TV-product
- Overall professionalism in all of the activity
How can you make a poll without putting all teams on it? Also your criteria aren't mine if we're talking about the best organization.

btw, my vote would go to Sibir.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 12:35 AM
Go Donbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
How can you make a poll without putting all teams on it? Also your criteria aren't mine if we're talking about the best organization.

Agree with you, but picked Loko since Sibir wasn't part of the poll.

Go Donbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 01:15 AM
SoundAndFury

Maybe you guys would care to explain your reasoning as to me Sibir really ticks none of the boxes.

Old
10-26-2015, 02:06 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Maybe you guys would care to explain your reasoning as to me Sibir really ticks none of the boxes.
It obviously ticks one of your personal boxes. Sibir is in the east, right?

And as I wrote above I do not agree with the criteria for picking the best. Too much emphasis on non-hockey and for me talking about a sports franchise sports remain on top of the list, then comes everything else.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 03:05 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
It obviously ticks one of your personal boxes. Sibir is in the east, right?

And as I wrote above I do not agree with the criteria for picking the best. Too much emphasis on non-hockey and for me talking about a sports franchise sports remain on top of the list, then comes everything else.
You know, Atas, sometimes you really go overboard with your imaginary bias. Like, seriously. I like Sibir, be it in East, West or Middle. I just don't think they are that good.

And what about them, sports-wise? Other than last two seasons they have nothing to write home about. And even then, 13/14 one was a marginal success. Hockey school is unimpressive to say the least. And sure, their coaches/management have been doing great (and getting lucky, at times) for a few years now but does that really make them best organization in the KHL?

Old
10-26-2015, 03:15 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I will go with Loko. Extremely powerful and efficient hockey pyramid, arguably best hockey school in the country, reasonable on-ice success for a team on a budget, no hot-headed decision, no firing players after one week, no hiring Nazarov as a coach, no shady trasfers, great fans. Just an honest hard-working organization which seems to treat everyone with respect.

Obviously Yaroslavl isn't the biggest of markets and there are issues and downsides related to that but overall I'd say it's still Loko.
I agree, Lokomotiv is well run and besides the release of Platt this summer, their transfers can be explained with common sense. From the obvious bigshots, Kazan is decentish as well. Overall you have to love what Sibir is doing as well.

10-26-2015, 06:07 AM
Peter25

Quote:

Why put all the teams in the poll because it is obvious (at least for me) that these nine clubs are the best ones in the KHL?

Old
10-26-2015, 08:30 AM
ozo

Quote:
Why put all the teams in the poll because it is obvious (at least for me) that these nine clubs are the best ones in the KHL?
How exactly these are the 9 are the obvious best? The way Avangard handles their coaches is circus worthy and not a sign of any consistency or proffesionalism. Success is also up for the debate.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
How exactly these are the 9 are the obvious best? The way Avangard handles their coaches is circus worthy and not a sign of any consistency or proffesionalism. Success is also up for the debate.
One could also question whether Jokerit should be there since their junior development, well it doesn't show up in KHL. The tv product from their end is handled by Viasat. They've also been in the league one season and haven't won anything (and won't as long as Roman Rotenberg is involved with SKA).

Last edited by Jussi: 10-26-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Peter25

Quote:
What team would you put above Avangard then? Sibir? They have an old barn as an arena and have never won anything.

Avangard has won multiple championships and they also drew good crowds, and their junior program is better than Sibir's.

Old
10-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
One could also question whether Jokerit should be there since their junior development, well it doesn't show up in KHL. The tv product from their end is handled by Viasat. They've also been in the league one season and haven't won anything (and won't as long as Roman Rotenberg is involved with SKA).
Finnish hockey expert Ismo Lehkonen said in Urheilulehti that the level of A-nuorten SM-liiga is nowadays so low that it does not prepare players even for Mestis. Jokerit has a team in A-nuorten SM-liiga but obviously they cannot promote players directly to the KHL from there unless they have a new Pulkkinen or Teräväinen there that can be successful based on their talent alone.

The MHL is a couple of notches above A-nuorten SM-liiga so therefore KHL teams are able to promote players directly to the KHL from there.

Old
10-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Peter25

Btw, I also voted for Lokomotiv. I love the young players they bring up. Korshkov, Kraskovsky, Ilyenko etc. All 1996-born players. And Lyubushkin, Koledov and Gavrikov on defense.

They have a good arena, great fans and have been successful on the ice especially if you consider their low budget.

Old
10-26-2015, 11:02 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You do realize how weak is your post. Don't care about any of the teams myself, but to single out Jokerit for not winning Gagarin is crazy. Also having a sugar daddy has nothing to do with having a well run organization. If Abramovich donated an arena to Novosibirsk and not Omsk, they would be faring better in your eyes?

Sure we can find faults in any organization (not only in KHL, but in the world in general), but it is crazy to put these 9 together in a poll like this. There are light years of difference between Loko and Avangard.

Old
10-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Jussi

Quote:
You do realize how weak is your post. Don't care about any of the teams myself, but to single out Jokerit for not winning Gagarin is crazy. Also having a sugar daddy has nothing to do with having a well run organization. If Abramovich donated an arena to Novosibirsk and not Omsk, they would be faring better in your eyes?
I was referring to Rotenberg being the co-owner of Jokerit (the Russian funding comes via him) andthe vice president of SKA. The latter being his favorite toy, means Jokerit won't be allowed to become "too strong".

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Peter25

Any opinion about CSKA?

Their arena sucks (when will they actually move?) and they don't draw a lot of fans, but otherwise it looks good now. They have a good development program and they have a really strong team. They have also developed a good attacking and forechecking playing style under Kvartalnov that I personally like.

Old
10-26-2015, 02:51 PM
ozo

Quote:
Any opinion about CSKA?

Their arena sucks (when will they actually move?) and they don't draw a lot of fans, but otherwise it looks good now. They have a good development program and they have a really strong team. They have also developed a good attacking and forechecking playing style under Kvartalnov that I personally like.
Another classic sugardaddy case. If Chelyabinsk stumbled upon a pot of gold, you would probably consider them again being just as good of an organization, because they have school, decent arena and an expensive team.

Old
10-26-2015, 03:05 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Another classic sugardaddy case. If Chelyabinsk stumbled upon a pot of gold, you would probably consider them again being just as good of an organization, because they have school, decent arena and an expensive team.
As long as this pot of gold is used wisely on infrastructure, academy and reasonable transfers, then everything is OK, I think. Some teams bullying others with money is by no means nice but for a good organization, you will need money at some point. You can't produce great players or register wins in league by feeding your players on dry bread and make them work in mines part-time.

hansomreiste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Peter25

Quote:
I guess you are right on this one. Chelyabinsk hockey school is very good (they produce players like Kuznetsov, Nichushkin and Voynov) and it is a great hockey city. If they had Rosneft sponsoring them they could afford to sign Voynov instead of losing him to SKA.

But I rate CSKA above SKA because they at least have a good junior system. SKA has failed to build one despite having endless amount of money.

Old
10-26-2015, 06:57 PM
SoundAndFury

And lets not forget Chelyabinsk was rich for a few years with great success on the ice but two years passed and nobody even seems to remember about it, everyone is on Sibir's hype train now. And that's kind of my point point, if Sibir got back to being a borderline playoff team they realistically should be they wouldn't even belong to this conversation because they have very little else going for them. Chelyabinsk actually does have quite a few things going for them and it isn't even in this conversation two years after Gagarin Cup final appearance.

Old
10-27-2015, 08:01 AM
ozo

Quote:
But I rate CSKA above SKA because they at least have a good junior system. SKA has failed to build one despite having endless amount of money.
CSKA is almost as reckless in transfer market as SKA. All the actual youngster development for them is done by Sibir it seems.

Old
10-27-2015, 01:21 PM
loppa*

Quote:
I don't think anyone in their right mind would vote for vityaz, ugra as they are eyesores...

I also wanted to vote for Sibir. But since I can't I'll vote for Jokerit.

Also...

Here is who voted for whom before I voted.

SKA St.Petersburg
doctorgreg, penepi, Yarborough
3 14.29%
CSKA Moscow
dd91
1 4.76%
Salavat Yulaev Ufa 0 0%
Ak Bars Kazan 0 0%
Metallurg Magnitogorsk
malkinfan
1 4.76%
Dynamo Moscow
Acallabeth, tohaa, TommySalo
3 14.29%
Avangard Omsk
Ayvengo96, RicEsteban85
2 9.52%
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Go Donbass, Peter25, SoundAndFury, TOGuy14, wakawakawaka
5 23.81%
Jokerit Helsinki
afrobomber11, Eigenspace, Exarz, GX, punchonico99, Whiskey In the Jar
6 28.57%

loppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Go Donbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post
I don't think anyone in their right mind would vote for vityaz, ugra as they are eyesores...
Coming from the man that has a Quebec Nordiques logo as his avatar. Quebec City was the Hanty-Mantsisk/Podolsk of the NHL

Go Donbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2015, 01:37 PM
loppa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Donbass View Post
Coming from the man that has a Quebec Nordiques logo as his avatar. Quebec City was the Hanty-Mantsisk/Podolsk of the NHL :banghead:
I very much disagree.

Also, can you keep a secret? Ever since I was young I rated teams according to how much I like their logo. ;)

loppa* is offline   Reply With Quote