HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dennis Wideman avoids arbitration with Bruins

Old
07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
funnier:

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
CapeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
I know Corvo is very good offensively but that's not the most important thing that a defenseman does and that person was trying to show where Wideman fits.

That list if offensive numbers during a a stretch of games [ like a week ]. That really means nothing.

As the poster was trying to show me that Wideman is ranked 16th in defenseman category, I replied back as saying Corvo is 7th.......That must be a very good list.
OK. Full season stats demonstrate similar findings. Denis Wideman was 25th in scoring amongst defencemen, 34th in +/-, and 14th in average ice-time per game. Thus, last year, he would be easily considered a top 2 defenceman in the NHL. Whether, this continues, is unknown. However, the winner of the Boyes-Wideman deal is still very much uncertain. It is actually quite close and I look forward to watching both players develop.

Also, Joe Corvo was 12th in points, 13th in +/- among D, despite only averaging 18 minutes a night (134th in average ice-time per game among D in the NHL). He had a very productive year and will likely succeed in Carolina where he given more opportunity.

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

that kurt sauer deal just keeps looking better and better.

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirokarosu View Post

I have to say, thats THE FUNNIEST shootout highlight i've ever seen.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 04:35 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
That's the coach playing him more [which means he fits in the system] but that's not a quality.

Also, he's not a #2 defenseman.......

And I'll take Boyes over Wideman.
who wouldn't ?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Why would you make a comment like that?

It's pretty obvious that one players can't do all. Scoring 40+ goals isn't an easy task to do since no one on the Bruins did. Like, why did the playoffs come in all this?
Because the Bruins would not have made the playoffs last year without Dennis Wideman. He was a solid number 2 guy behind Chara all year long.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:06 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
who wouldn't ?
Me. Top pairing 2-way Defenseman > One dimensional top line Winger

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Boyesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
Me. Top pairing 2-way Defenseman > One dimensional top line Winger
In all honesty the trade worked out good for both teams... Boyes became a star here and Wideman became a dependable player for the Bruins.. But if you ask any blues fan who they would rather have a 40 goal scorer or a guy who might be lucky to get 20 mins on defense, I think they will take Boyes everyday.. So this is one of those rare trades that worked out great for both teams....

Boyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyesfan View Post
In all honesty the trade worked out good for both teams... Boyes became a star here and Wideman became a dependable player for the Bruins.. But if you ask any blues fan who they would rather have a 40 goal scorer or a guy who might be lucky to get 20 mins on defense, I think they will take Boyes everyday.. So this is one of those rare trades that worked out great for both teams....

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I loved Boyes and was very upset to see him go. Now I truly think both teams won.I can't think of another trade like it recently where both teams won...Hossa for Heatley?

What is funny is now that this season is underway, St.Louis is looking to tighten up defensively (but have great prospects coming to fill that) and the Bruins are looking to score more up front (but have great prospects coming to fill that)...

Look forward to trading with you again in the future St.Louis!! Got anymore Friends of Phil and Blake over there?? (Hint, hint)

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Boyesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
On the blues roster he would be only getting 20 mins at best...

Old
07-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
On the blues roster he would be only getting 20 mins at best...
I just looked at the TOI/G for the Blues...what's with that?...

You only had two defenseman over 20?...Who was playing D when Brewer and Johnson weren't on the ice?...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Boyesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I just looked at the TOI/G for the Blues...what's with that?...

You only had two defenseman over 20?...Who was playing D when Brewer and Johnson weren't on the ice?...
I have no answer for that.... I think that Murray uses a defense by committee.. Sense we don't have a super stud defenseman yet.. Don't get me wrong I think EJ will be but he isn't at that lvl.. Maybe in the next few years he will start to hit 23 and hopefully be up to 25 mins 2 years from now... But I hope I made my point without pissing anyone off... I just get pissed when people (blues fans or bruins fans) say that they ripped each other off in this trade.. Both teams got what they needed... Great trade and I hope the Blues have more good trades like this in the future.. I won't lie though, when we made this trade I really thought the Blues ripped the bruins off... But I am glad Wideman has done a good job for you guys...

Old
07-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have no answer for that.... I think that Murray uses a defense by committee.. Sense we don't have a super stud defenseman yet.. Don't get me wrong I think EJ will be but he isn't at that lvl.. Maybe in the next few years he will start to hit 23 and hopefully be up to 25 mins 2 years from now... But I hope I made my point without pissing anyone off... I just get pissed when people (blues fans or bruins fans) say that they ripped each other off in this trade.. Both teams got what they needed... Great trade and I hope the Blues have more good trades like this in the future.. I won't lie though, when we made this trade I really thought the Blues ripped the bruins off... But I am glad Wideman has done a good job for you guys...
I agree completely..

Hell I'd even be inclined to say that last season would show that you probably got the better end of the bargain..

But I'm satisfied with Wideman moving forward...it's an anomaly in that both fanbases are happy with the trade..

Cheers...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Boyes was one of my favorite players with the B's. He, Sturm, and Bergeron had a killer line. It was stupid to trade him, IMO. We desperatly needed scoring last year. Although I love Wideman, i think we got the short end of the stick here. But not by much.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Mayhem

Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
Quote:
That is an interesting system i.e. the balanced workload for defensemen, but I'd be willing to bet EJ is going be leaned on a bit harder this year given he seems to be the inevitable number one.

Onto Wideman/Boyes: I does make me chuckle bit the idea that either team ripped off the other. I think it is fair to say that both players found the right situations at the right times to enable their careers to thrive. I can honestly say that I don't believe that Boyes wouldn't have scored 40+ goals with the Bruins, and given the aforementioned info about how the Blues d-corps is employed I doubt Wideman develops as rapidly as he has. For whatever reason a change of venue gave rapid ascent to their respective careers. While the Bruins certainly need more scoring without Wideman last year I doubt the B's make the playoffs.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote