HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Powerplay

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 06:48 PM
oilerman250

vCash: 500
Powerplay

in 3 straight games we've scored a powerplay goal maybe craig simpson is finally realizing how to run a pp, either that or we're getting luck around the net lately. if we have our special teams hovering around the 12-18th place kinda thing(for both pk and pp), we'll be a better team than 10th place this year and 8th last year(ie. anywhere from 4th-7th at least)

blowing away games(see l.a. a few sat. ago) and takin dumb a** penalties sure doesn't help to say the very least either.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Boondock Saint

I like the fact that they're at least trying new approaches to their powerplay. It shows that they're at least taking this seriously at working at addressing the problem. In Colorado, they got chances when they were setting up in the "umbrella" formation and just getting shots to the net. Although this formation is predominantly used 5 on 3, the Oil made good use of it on the Smyth goal and it got them a couple other pretty nice chances.

For clarification, the umbrella set up involves a defenseman set up on the blueline, right in the middle of the ice. The other defenseman sets up on the boards at about the top of the circle, and one of the wingers sets up on the other boards at the top of the circle. The other winger and centerman set up in front of the net, but also must be able to swing off into their corner to support the puck if the defenseman on their side runs out of options with the puck.

It's an effective powerplay, but not always the easiest to get set up. The reason it's so effective is that once you get set up and the guy at the top of the umbrella has the puck, he has an option to pass on either side of him and the option to shoot. And since the PK only has two forwards up high, in theory, there should always be either an open shooting lane or an open man for a shot on one side of the top d-man. I say in theory because anything can happen once the Oil get on the PP.

Hopefully the Oil will keep tinkering with their powerplay until they find a setup that gets them out of the NHL PP cellar.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
It also helps that they are gaining the zone with increased regularity and aren't turning the puck over (forwards especially) nearly as often.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Watch the powerplay closely.

Most of the time they use the "old system", that is, the half-ice half boards junk. This is clearly not Simpsons' doing.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Most of the time they use the "old system", that is, the half-ice half boards junk. This is clearly not Simpsons' doing.
First of all, they used this new setup more often than not in the Colorado game. A perfect example was Smytty's goal, where they were set up exactly as I described it.

Secondly, how the hell is this not Simpson's doing??? He's the freaking special teams coach for crying out loud!!! If the Oil use a new set-up on the powerplay, of course it's Simpson's doing.... it doesn't happen by chance. If you blame him for all that ails the Oil powerplay, you at least have to give him some credit when they succeed.

I'm getting so sick of some of the posters around here and their dumb-ass assumptions. Clearly not Simpson's doing??? Give your head a shake....

Quote:
Watch the powerplay closely.
I did watch it closely, and I posted what I saw. Maybe you should just worry about yourself. I'm not so sure you even go to games anymore, based on how your game reports are carbon copies of each other. If you learned to watch hockey objectively and without bias, you might actually be able to post some accurate game reports.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:42 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
...I'm getting so sick of some of the posters around here and their dumb-ass assumptions. Clearly not Simpson's doing??? Give your head a shake....
Wow, spirited stuff Boondock

I didn't read LMHFs post as being a shot at you actually. But I love the 'Give your head a shake....' line an old friend of mine used to say that all the time.

But the real reason for responding: Who exactly IS in charge of the Oilers powerplay? We seem to have convinced each other around here that it is Simpson's baby ... but the Oilres have never confirmed this. Lowe evades the question and jokes that when it is going well it is the whole coaching staff's powerplay ... and when it is struggling it is Craig's. But nothing more.

Billy Moore's has said in at least a couple of radio interviews earlier in the year that him and Simpson share the PP responsibilities, but MacTavish has the final say. I've also heard MacTavish wax on about what he likes to see from a powerplay. So again: who, exactly, IS incharge of the Oilers powerplay? Or is anybody in particular responsible? It is a good question I think. Has anybody heard anything recently? Why is this a secret?

Better questions might be "why won't they tell us who is responsible for the powerplay" or "wouldn't it be best to have one person clearly defined as responsible for the powerplay?".

Ice Dragoon made a comment on another thread that got me thinking about the Low/Lowe era of head-coaches ... that being when Weight and Bucky were here they were clearly responsible for the PP and PK respectively. As ID said (more or less) if you wanted to play on the powerplay you played Dougie's way.

I can remember that the media at the time would focus right in on Bucky or Weight when either of the special teams were flourishing or floundering. I don't see that sort of ownership now. And if hockey is anything like any other business ... lack of clear ownership of a business sector results in a lack of direction.

I really dunno. I just thought I'd throw this notion out there and see if anyone else has been thinking the same thing.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Matts

IN the Nsh game

that was a hard work goal that RD scored. Oilers get outworked a lot on their PP and they also dump the puck to areas that are somehow bereft of Oilers even though they supposedly hold the man advantage.

Goal in Det was another hard work deal and a deft pass from BG to Stoll.

Last night it was quite simply Bergeron showing Oilers defenseman how one can get thepuck on net and then surprise Smyth scored a goal from around the crease area.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:09 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

I'm getting so sick of some of the posters around here and their dumb-ass assumptions. Clearly not Simpson's doing??? Give your head a shake....

I did watch it closely, and I posted what I saw. Maybe you should just worry about yourself. I'm not so sure you even go to games anymore, based on how your game reports are carbon copies of each other. If you learned to watch hockey objectively and without bias, you might actually be able to post some accurate game reports.
It's NOT an assumption...but that's all I can say. I tried to explain this to DB earlier, there's a rationale behind all that I say, and if I make a claim like that, I'm not makin it out of thin air.

Not taking a shot at you or anything, and I get this trash.....if ya don't like the reports, DON'T READ THEM. There is no such thing as watching hockey objectively and without bias, and there's also a very good reason why alot of them look the same, BECAUSE MOST GAMES ARE THE SAME.

I really don't need this garbage, some idiots may want to waste alot of their time reporting utter fallacies and assumptions, and in that case it's a whole ton of time in their life they're wasting. That's not what I'm doing, and enough people around here know that that I don't need to care about attempted crack-backs like this one.

And btw, Igor, solid post.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
It's NOT an assumption...but that's all I can say. I tried to explain this to DB earlier, there's a rationale behind all that I say, and if I make a claim like that, I'm not makin it out of thin air.
Then what is it?? How do you KNOW that Simpson isn't behind what happened with the PP in Colorado??

Old
02-20-2004, 02:18 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Then what is it?? How do you KNOW that Simpson isn't behind what happened with the PP in Colorado??
First, you're completely mis-reading my initial post.......when the powerplay has actually worked, it's because Simpson has been allowed to implement new schemes. When it doesn't work, it's because they're running the MacTavish system. This is the case 95% of the time.

Edit: rest cleared up in PMs, deleted rest of message.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 02-20-2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old
02-20-2004, 08:03 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
About a single person representing the special teams and making it their baby Igor I fully agree with you. But we don't really have anyone on this club imo that will do what Weight did in the sense of taking over the pp and running it themselves, the only person in position that could or rather should do something like that is Adam Oates.

Perhaps the Umbrella idea was his ???

Closed Thread