HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Glen Murray

Old
07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Glen Murray

The B's are in a bit of a cap bind right now, and the Murray contract heading out of town would make things much easier for the Bruins.

For his production over the past couple of years, he is massively overpaid....which I think lessens his value on the market.

So what do you think is a fair value for Glen Murray? Are we talking a 2nd or 3rd rounder? A middle of the road prospect? Perhaps a younger bottom line F or bottom pairing D man with a low $ contract value?

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I think a better question is what team can afford his contract?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
The B's are in a bit of a cap bind right now, and the Murray contract heading out of town would make things much easier for the Bruins.

For his production over the past couple of years, he is massively overpaid....which I think lessens his value on the market.

So what do you think is a fair value for Glen Murray? Are we talking a 2nd or 3rd rounder? A middle of the road prospect? Perhaps a younger bottom line F or bottom pairing D man with a low $ contract value?
He's not worth 4mil. It'll be tough to find a buyer on that cap hit.

I suppose LA could take him back for a prospect.

Or perhaps this is a contract buyout situation.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Riggins

Negative value.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Reaper45

If the Kings are taking him, they'd probably want a decent pick or prospect back as well.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Negative value.
Agreed. He's missed ~20 games/season since the lockout ended and only scored 30 points last season, I can't see there being a market for his services at that price. It'll have to be a salary dump type situation (like Roenick to LA a few years ago).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Negative value.
mmmm

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Sneekypete

His value is very negative and you would have to pay for a team just to take him.You would have to accomopany a 3rd or 4th round pick and murray just to get a 7th round pick

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
flannelman
lost in the shuffle

vCash: 50
Bruins would have to add a sweetener to any deal as no team will want him - even if they aren't at the cap floor -

another option at forward is Peter Schaeffer - about 2.3m

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

A bag of pucks? I'm serious, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. The pucks would find the back of the net more than Murray.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
BBB

Trade him to Tampa

BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't think he'll have negative value at this point... a year ago, sure... but with just 1 yr left on his deal, I don't see him passing through waivers (which would denote negative value).

There are 3 teams still that are below the salary floor... another 3 that are right on the line... half the teams in the league have $6+mill in cap space still.... then there are teams that have salary space available waiting for Sundin to make his decision - and will have tons of space if they lose out on him.

I think that if he was on waivers, he'd get picked up... so if a team is really interested, I think a 3rd or 4th round pick could probably get him.

he's not worth much... but I don't see him having negative value with just a year left on his contract.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Negative value.
Absolutely negative value. Start ponying up picks and/or roster players and/or prospects if you want to move him.

Call LA, quick, and offer them Murray and Fernandez a 2nd and a 3rd for a 7th rounder.

They hit the cap floor, you get rid of two bad contracts. It works, no?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
Absolutely negative value. Start ponying up picks and/or roster players and/or prospects if you want to move him.

Call LA, quick, and offer them Murray and Fernandez a 2nd and a 3rd for a 7th rounder.

They hit the cap floor, you get rid of two bad contracts. It works, no?
Why do that when he can just be sent to the minors?

Also, Fernandez isn't going anywhere. Rask's cap hit with bonuses is 3+ million, so there's no point trading Fernandez.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I don't think he'll have negative value at this point... a year ago, sure... but with just 1 yr left on his deal, I don't see him passing through waivers (which would denote negative value).

There are 3 teams still that are below the salary floor... another 3 that are right on the line... half the teams in the league have $6+mill in cap space still.... then there are teams that have salary space available waiting for Sundin to make his decision - and will have tons of space if they lose out on him.

I think that if he was on waivers, he'd get picked up... so if a team is really interested, I think a 3rd or 4th round pick could probably get him.

he's not worth much... but I don't see him having negative value with just a year left on his contract.
Thank God, there are still some posters around with common sense.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Why do that when he can just be sent to the minors?

Also, Fernandez isn't going anywhere. Rask's cap hit with bonuses is 3+ million, so there's no point trading Fernandez.
So you go out and get a cheap backup. It saves the pain in the wallet of waiving two guys and having them eat up money and more importantly roster spots on the AHL team.

Of course, this situation should've been taken care of a while ago. Now...it's gonna be a battle to get any team to take on any amount of their payroll.

Send them down to the minors? Sure. But your GMing rep takes a hit. Can't sign good contracts, can't manage your roster, huh? If it happens again...

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
TOML

I think they'll move Fernandez if Rask starts looking too good to not play during the season.

Murray's definately on the way out now. One way or the other.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Vector

Who would take Fernandez? He's coming off an injury where he missed an entire year and has never been the defacto starter. Combine this with a nasty contract and I think the Bs would be stuck with him regardless of what they want.

Murray is still tradable. Don't know if he'd return anything of value but at least he can play.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
So you go out and get a cheap backup. It saves the pain in the wallet of waiving two guys and having them eat up money and more importantly roster spots on the AHL team.

Of course, this situation should've been taken care of a while ago. Now...it's gonna be a battle to get any team to take on any amount of their payroll.

Send them down to the minors? Sure. But your GMing rep takes a hit. Can't sign good contracts, can't manage your roster, huh? If it happens again...
Cheap backup? The B's tried that with Auld - he was decent at the beginning, but got less and less reliable as the season went on. There are few backups (probably none) that can play as a #1b. Fernandez plays that role perfectly. If he's healthy, he can push Thomas harder than any generic backup can.

Chia has been trying to trade him for a long time. There have been no takers. And why would his rep take a hit if he's sent to the minors? Isn't that what many teams do to a guy that can no longer play like a top 12 forward? Can't sign good contracts? He didn't sign Murray - O'Connell did. Get your facts straight, wannabe GM.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

I assume your GMing rep would take a hit if you also give up a decent prospect or pick with Murray for a 6th rounder.

I'd love to deal Murray, but if the cost is a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a prospect like Hunwick or Marchand, then I'd rather keep him and trade any combo of Schaefer/Axelsson/Alberts/Ferrence. Murray's deal is up at the end of the year. The loss of a good young prospect for 10 years isn't worth it.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
The Puck

How many teams would put in a bid if he was on waivers ... honestly?

If he's still healthy at the deadline then he'll garner a decent return, but he's not going to fetch much right now unless another questionable contract comes back the other way.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Reaper45

What would the Bruins want for Ference?

Old
07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What would the Bruins want for Ference?
Just a guess, but something like a 4th round pick. I would definitely do it, but I think the front office might be a little hesitant because they may not think Lashoff is ready. I feel they should go ahead and bring him up full time.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:41 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post

Unless it's waivers where boston has to pay half his contract, I just can't see any team giving up anything for him, it would have to be a salary dump.

Hrmm, was thinking, maybe Boston could send Murray and a 1st to a team like nashville, some team who needs the picks and wouldn't mind having a leader on their team to help out their youth movement, then they spend a bit more but get a pick, though if boston moves murray that means they have more cap space and could even sign sundin, so it would probably be best if they sent their 1st and 2nd to get a deal like this done (cause imo Boston is already looking like a top 4 team in the east MINIMUM, imagine with more cap room)

Last edited by neofury*: 07-22-2008 at 02:48 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Benji Frank

if boston figures they have room for mike ryder for 4 mill per, they certainly have room for glen murray for one more 4 mill per season. me thinks they'll trade someone before they buy them out ... either that or waive someone right off the hop and pull them up for 1/2 the hit this year if claimed and be done with them.....

what's the deal on fernandez and bergeron? are both healthy and ready to go in october?

what about a guy like alberts? granted, he's a smaller cap hit, but if they move him and send rask down to the minors for another year they'll be ok too. Or Alberts might make a team think Murray or Fernandez for a season is worth the risk of a pick....

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote