HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Robert Lang

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Natural Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Robert Lang

I really think he'd look great in a habs uni. The guys big, even if he doesn't go around smashing people he's still harder to knock around. He has 68 points in 59 games playing for Washington and has been doing pretty well without Jagr as well.

It would be easier to make an arguement as to why we should try and get this guy if we didn't have one of either Koivu or Ribs. In my opinion I'd take Saku over Mike but I doubt that trading Ribs would go over well in Quebec.

Now would it be a bad thing if we had Koivu, Ribs & Lang as our top 3 centres?

Would you be willing to give up a prospect like Pleks or Higgins & a pick for him?

Old
02-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
I really think he'd look great in a habs uni. The guys big, even if he doesn't go around smashing people he's still harder to knock around. He has 68 points in 59 games playing for Washington and has been doing pretty well without Jagr as well.

It would be easier to make an arguement as to why we should try and get this guy if we didn't have one of either Koivu or Ribs. In my opinion I'd take Saku over Mike but I doubt that trading Ribs would go over well in Quebec.

Would you be willing to give up a prospect like Pleks or Higgins & a pick for him?
I like the idea of Lang in Montreal. He is definately available but I am sure Washington would be asking a lot for him. Perhaps...Hainsey and/or Plekanec, and a pick?

Old
02-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Cariboux

It would be great, but if I'm not wrong, I think he had plays on the wings in the past so it would be great

Old
02-19-2004, 06:19 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I like the idea of Lang in Montreal. He is definately available but I am sure Washington would be asking a lot for him. Perhaps...Hainsey and/or Plekanec, and a pick?
We all fought that Peter Bondra would cost alot but really ott give up nothing. The point is that Lang would look good in a hab uniform because he would be useful on the second power play unit. If were going to push for the playoff's we need a much better second unit if koivu and ribs keep playing on the first unit. I wouldent give up to much thow because it would just be a borrow player.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Everybody agrees that Lang value is at least twice the price Clarke just paid for Zhamnov . It would cost us the double for Lang so forget it .

Old
02-19-2004, 07:37 PM
RE-HABS

Lang is attractive but he still has 3 more years on his contract at 5.5 million, do you think he will be putting up 5.5 per season points in 3 years?

I don't think it would cost too much for Lang, Zhamnov was reasonably price (UFA status had something to do with that). Sullivan wasn't too expensive at 2 2nd rounders and Bondra wasn't expensive either. So a prospect and a player that can play now might be it, the Caps have stated they aren't covering any salary for Lang, Kolzig or Gonchar if deals are made for them...that brings down the asking price big time.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Lang is the type of player that doesn't come around very often. He's a consistent point getter and look at his games played for the past 6 seasons. Now imagine him with Zednik & Bulis on his wings

Year Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh%
2003-04 Washington NHL 59 26 42 68 0 24 133 19.55
2002-03 Washington NHL 82 22 47 69 +12 22 146 15.07
2001-02 Pittsburgh NHL 62 18 32 50 +9 16 175 10.29
2001-02 Team Czech Olympic 4 1 2 3 +3 2 11 9.09
2000-01 Pittsburgh NHL 82 32 48 80 +20 28 177 18.08
1999-00 Pittsburgh NHL 78 23 42 65 -9 14 142 16.20

Old
02-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Lang is attractive but he still has 3 more years on his contract at 5.5 million, do you think he will be putting up 5.5 per season points in 3 years?

I don't think it would cost too much for Lang, Zhamnov was reasonably price (UFA status had something to do with that). Sullivan wasn't too expensive at 2 2nd rounders and Bondra wasn't expensive either. So a prospect and a player that can play now might be it, the Caps have stated they aren't covering any salary for Lang, Kolzig or Gonchar if deals are made for them...that brings down the asking price big time.
You can`t compare Zhamnov or Sullivan to Lang. As good as Zhamnov or Sullivan would be for a playoff run neither of them lead the NHL in scoring for a good chunk of the season. In a league where 50 pt players make 9 million one of the NHL`s leading scorers is making almost half that. I`d imagine a team like Detroit will make a move for him. 5.5 million for Detroit or Colorado or Philly is chump change they`d have no problem trading away picks or prospects for a guy like Lang.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Ok this thread didn't get enough attention. Lang is what we need. He'd be an amazing 2nd line centre behind Saks and if Koivu were to go down with an injury Lang would be there. Think about it this way. We roll 3 "scoring" lines and 1 "checking" line.

Ribs-Lang-Zednik
Kilger-Koivu-Ryder
Bulis-Juneau-Sundstrom
Ward-Begin-Dackell

So if we make the playoffs and by chance make it to the second round Lang would be paid for right there. Then with the money we'll save of our UFA's over the summer we can try to land ourselves a decent winger to compliment Lang.

Old
02-20-2004, 11:08 PM
BBR

How big is Lang

Old
02-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
How big is Lang
He is 6'2 217.

Old
02-21-2004, 08:44 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
If we were to trade for him, wouldn't Ribs like have to be in the deal? Not that I want to trade him, but getting Lang, he will be replacing Ribs, no?

Old
02-21-2004, 11:02 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

Now would it be a bad thing if we had Koivu, Ribs & Lang as our top 3 centres? . I sure would love it.

Would you be willing to give up a prospect like Pleks or Higgins & a pick for him? Hell no.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
If we were to trade for him, wouldn't Ribs like have to be in the deal? Not that I want to trade him, but getting Lang, he will be replacing Ribs, no?
I know Gainey doesn't give a **** about what fans think, but imagine if that trade would go threw...

Man, I'd be tuning in on Fournier's show every single night!

Old
02-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
I know Gainey doesn't give a **** about what fans think, but imagine if that trade would go threw...

Man, I'd be tuning in on Fournier's show every single night!
Imagine Rejean Tremblay? The guy would have a stroke...Foreigners everywhere...lol

Seriously, Lang is a big ticket item that would not make the team an instant contender. More than one player is needed to achieve this, IMO, and there are better options. Without a new CBA in place, he's a risky proposition salary wise which is why the Caps are trying to dump him. Furthermore, you can be sure that Washington will likely look for a young roster player and a top prospect, minimum. That means they'll ask for Hainsey at least and perhaps a Bulis or even Ryder. In other words, a cheap, talented, young player that can contribute right away. Doesn't mean they'll get it...

The supposed money freed up for UFAs will be used up by new contracts for Souray and Ribs among others. There will be none to spare.

Old
02-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
The supposed money freed up for UFAs will be used up by new contracts for Souray and Ribs among others. There will be none to spare.
Don't forget Ryder and Kast if he's ready to come over.

Closed Thread