HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 10 Rangers Goons/Fighters of all time

View Poll Results: Who is the #1 Rangers fighter of all time
George McPhee 3 4.35%
Jeff Beukeboom 6 8.70%
Chris "Knuckles" Nilan 2 2.90%
Kris King 0 0%
Tie Domi 6 8.70%
Sandy McCarthy 1 1.45%
Rudy Poeschek 0 0%
Nick Fotiu 16 23.19%
Joey Kocur 25 36.23%
Darren Langdon 10 14.49%
Barry Beck 0 0%
Eric Cairns 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2009, 06:04 AM
  #1
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Top 10 Rangers Goons/Fighters of all time

Searched for a thread like this but did not find it, so here we go. Basically throw some names out there, and after I get 10 solid ones Ill get a poll rolling. Im gonna go ahead and say:

Joey Kocur
Jeff Beukeboom
Rudy Poeschek
Kris King
Chris Nilan
Tie Domi (If you can count him)
George McPhee


Added:
Sandy McCarthy
Nick Fotiu
Darren Langdon
Barry Beck


Since Ive had some support for this were gonna change it to an elimination thread and see who is left standing. In another hour I will eliminate those with the lowest score and restart the poll with those left standing, also I will add Hospador to the next round as he was an omission mistake on my part.


Last edited by MrEctions: 01-24-2009 at 09:10 PM.
MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:05 AM
  #2
gaglinefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Add

Sandy Mccarthy

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:14 AM
  #3
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaglinefan View Post
Sandy Mccarthy
Old Sandy, forgot all about him

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:20 AM
  #4
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Completely OT, but I just found this while looking up Chris Nilans stats. Apparently he made this website:

http://vizzitt.com/

It basically lets you connect with former hockey greats and talk about stuff with them directly. Really strange and odd lol.

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:28 AM
  #5
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Can't do this poll without Nicky Fotiu. Add Darren Langdon.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 06:31 AM
  #6
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Can't do this poll without Nicky Fotiu. Add Darren Langdon.
Thats why I wanted to get more names before I asked, completely forgot about Fotiu

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:25 AM
  #7
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
I wouldn't call Beukeboom a goon, but he's certainly my favorite "tough guy" Ranger. Unless you want to consider Gravy a "tough guy." If so, then he takes the cake, but then again, he's my favorite player ever. Big fan of King. Nilan was just before my time, but I've seen plenty of tapes and he seemed like a guy who would have been one of my favorite players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:26 AM
  #8
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 50
Sandy Mccarthy, really? If he's anywhere in the top 10 surely Orr is ahead of him. They both played 3 seasons and change on the rangers and as I'm sure everyone can recall after about 1 and change Mccarthy stopped fighting and tried to become a 3rd liner or some crap like that.

vladmyir111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
  #9
nyrangers23
Registered User
 
nyrangers23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: bwood
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
lets not forget to throw orr in there, guy has been a rock for us for 3 years now. troy mallette, purington, stock, cloutier(ask salo),beuk?? just throwing names out there

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:42 AM
  #10
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Langdon and Domi and "Knuckles Nilan" should all be in there. Any old timers around that heard of a Ranger named George McPhee? Great fights on youtube between McPhee and Nystrom and Tochett and a bunch of guys. You guys should check it out. Just put in George McPhee fights. Short but tough as nails. I would include Ed Hospadar, but no way. Not after that Gillies fight.

Colton Orr sounds like a good one. Of course fotiu. Surpised someone remembered Poechek and Mccarthy. Purinton? What about Strudwick lol? Sounds funny but he fought Orr when Orr was with the Bruins and it looked like an even bout. Found that on youtube as well.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:56 AM
  #11
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Barry Beck definitely top 10!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
  #12
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Leaving out the fighters before the mid 70’s, so no Kurtenbach, Irvine, Stemkowski etc. There is very, VERY little footage of that era, and I didn’t live through it to see it in person.

1) Joey Kocur- 53 NYR Fights.
Kocur had the heaviest hands of any enforcer in the history of the NHL to date. Proof is in the wake of broken bones, bloody noses, and unconciuos opponents he left. When Kocur fought, he swung for the fences, and had incredible accuracy for a guy that fought for the win. Overpowered a lot of opponents even though he was smaller than most. Good stamina, vicious mean streak. The guy never…NEVER ducked anyone. His fight card had just about every heavyweight of his time on it. And that wasn’t easy, considering many of the players of that era consistently ducked him! Kocur also had one of the best best win/loss ratios of any Rangers enforcer(excluding anything before the mid 70’s)

Wins over: Baumgartner, A. May, Ray, Kastellic, Severyn, Carkner, Donnelly, McCrae, Berube, Probert, McCarty, Laus, Grimson, Brashear, and Simpson.

2) Nick Fotiu- 44 NYR Fights
Edges out Darren Langdon for the better win/loss ratio, and also wins in more convincing fashion. Had one of the biggest reputations of his time. Had great hand speed. Also was extremely technical. Ex golden gloves champ, that had trouble finding dance partners a lot of times. Came to the Rangers at a time when they truly needed an enforcer. He delivered in convincing fashion. Fotiu had some of the greatest pre-game antics that were used to literally intimidate the opposition before they even entered the lockerroom. Super tough guy, an absolute legend!

Wins over: Holmgren, Shoenfeld, Wilson, Baxter, Robertson, Hunter, Nilan,

3) Darren Langdon- 97 NYR Fights More than any player to wear a Ranger sweater.
Langdon was a freak of nature. Another guy smaller in size than most of his opponents, but don’t tell him that. Best technical fighter to ever play for the Rangers. Best stamina of any fighter to ever play the game. Great counter puncher, and had an excellent chin. Best fight card of any enforcer to ever play the game…so you know he too never ducked anyone. Langdon was a total 2nd half fighter. He would tie up the opposition, take a few shots, and wait for his opponent to tire himself out. Then he would come on and totally take control of the fight.

Wins over: Randy McKay 3x, Berube 2x, Simpson, Probert, Churla, Leroux, Simon, McCarthy, Odjick, Vial, Belanger, Laus, Vukota, Baumgartner, Oliwa, and Worrell.

4) Tie Domi- 48 NYR Fights
Small in size, but fought with the heart of a lion. Had KO power in both hands. One of the best chins in the game, and his low center of gravity made it real hard for opponents to tie him up effectively. His 2nd fight w/Probert was one of the most publicized fights in NHL history. No Ranger enforcer ever got MSG as pumped up as Domi did. His speed-bag antic after his bouts would send the Garden crownd into a frenzy! He played for the crowd, and they loved every minute of it. Was once labeled the “Satanic Keebler Elf!”

Wins over: A May, Vukota, Beukeboom, Baumgartner, Kordic, Odjick, Donnelly, May, Probert, Cronin.

5) Rudy Poeshek- 38 NYR Fights
6’2” built like a Tank. Poesheck was incredibly quick for a big guy. Threw rapid fire punches, and had very good accuracy. If he got the right going early, many opponents had a hard time getting going, especially if he landed. In his rookie season he didn’t lose a fight in his first 11…and then he met up with Dave Brown. In his short span, (2 full seasons)he had one of the best win/loss ratios of any Ranger enforcer.

Wins over: Chychrun 2x, McRae 2x, Wells, Tocchet, Daneyko, Kyte, Diduck.

6) Barry Beck- 37 NYR Fights
One of the strongest players to ever play the game. Beck for the time was a freak of nature! If he had a shorter fuse would probably be the best enforcer in Rangers history. When he finally lost his cool, look out. He had KO power, and was one of the fighters on the time to consistently drop opponents. Problem is he didn’t get mad enough. Plus, he didn’t fight too much. A lot of his fights ended up in hug fests, probably cause his opponents didn’t want to get hit!

Wins over: Holmgren, Plante, Howatt, Bert Wislon. Nilan 2x, Brubaker, Wells, Baxter, Tocchet, Price

7) George McPhee- 33 NYR Fights
Super tough individual. Fought like a Tasmanian devil. Rapid-fire punches, incredible accurate. McPhee surprised a lot of opponents. Probably because he was half their size. He was the real deal though, and stood up for himself and his teammates often. His fights w/Tocchet are still talked aout today by the hockey-fight fans of the world.

Wins over: Langevin, Lambert, Tocchet, Markwart, Blomqvist.Chris Nilan- 40 NYR Fights

8) Sandy McCarthy- 32 NYR Fights
McCarthy was a little past his prime when he came to NY, but the guy was still considered a top ten heavy for the time. He was super fast, and fought with a jack-hammer right. If he got it going early, it was tough to come back from. Lacked KO power, but made up for it accurate punches and good stamina. Could have done a better job in the enforcer role, but ducked a lot of the heavy’s of his time, and was inconsistent. Was a better player overall than most of the aforementioned. Earlier in his career was a top 3 fighter, and possible considered champ in the early 90’s.

Wins over: Stock, McKenzie 2x, Oliwa 2x, Hordichuk, Boulton, Grimson, Shelley.

9) Chris “Knuckles” Nilan was a great technical fighter. He loved to fight the big boys. Was smaller than most of his opposition, but was so good at tying you up and getting loose he won more than he lost. Not too many other players out there with wins over Dave Brown, Hunter and McSorley.

Wins over: Huscroft, Carkner, Brown, McSorley, Nylund, Hunter, Secord.


10) Dale Purinton- 69 NYR Fights
A total gorilla! Purinton has the nastiest streak of just about any of the aforementioned. He was also the dirtiest by far, which makes him lose a lot of respect by the fight community, and more specifically other enforcers in general. But…he was a very good fighter. When he opend up he could do some damage, evidenced by the Fedoruk and Cummins fights. Purinton is a huge guy, and strong as an OX. Some of his fights, especially in the latter years were a little on the boring side, being that he was a bit of a hugger. Good fight card, and decent power in the right hand, but didn’t get going enough. Still 69 Ranger fights and a good win/loss ratio lands him in the top 10.

Wins over: Marshall, Low, Fedoruk, Nazarov, Blouin, and Cummins

11) Jeff Beukeboom- 74 NYR Fights
What a monster! A better stand-up defenseman than he was a pure fighter, but he was still one of the better fighters the team has ever had. Good power, and if he landed flush there’s a good chance your going down. Overpowered his opponents, and had great reach, but gassed early. If his fights went t he distance he usually gassed out and ended up losing them.

Wins over: Miller, Vukota, Ray, Loney, McSorley, McKay, Tamer, Lambert, Odgers, McKay, Carkner

12) Adam Graves- 45 NYR Fights
One of the classiest, nicest, most genuine individuals to ever play the game, is also one of the toughest to ever play for the Rangers. Strong as an OX, and always stuck up for his team. No matter what, or who. Graves was an underrated fighter, and was more likely than not instructed not to fight by management being that guys like Kocur, King, Beuk, Langdon were also teammates during his tenure. Not a good fight card, but again was probably instructed not to fight.

Wins over: Ray, Peluso, Boivin, Barnaby, Tinordi, G Murphy, Jennings.

13) Kris King- 63 NYR Fights
Super tough compact little fighter. King and Domi played together and were a great little tandem. He didn’t have anything special, but always managed to do OK, and many times against tougher opposition. Very active as a fighter while with the Rangers.

Wins over: Stewart, Kypreos, Dineen, Evans, Mcguire, McSorley, Tocchet, Pilon

14) Eric Cairns- 30 NYR Fights
Another monster. When Cairns was in the AHL, he was literally running right through all of the opposition. One KO after another, and was considered the toughest guy in the AHL. He didn’t last long in NY, but managed a couple good seasons in the fight department. He had real heavy hands, and an real nasty streak. Took a ouple bad losses, but still won far more than he lost. Went on to be one of the best heavyweights of his time after leaving the Rangers.

Wins over: Peluso, Vukota, Odelien, McKay, Daniels, Oliwa, DeBrusk, Malkoc, Stevenson,

15) Ron Greschner- 53 NYR Fights
Before many peoples times, but Greschner was a tough guy. A big guy, and could handle himself well. He never really dominated anyone cept for Lindy Ruff who he KO’d! Gresch did the deed for a long time for the Rangers.

Wins over: Ruff, McCrimmon, Lambert, Cunneyworth.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:16 AM
  #13
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
lets not forget to throw orr in there, guy has been a rock for us for 3 years now. troy mallette, purington, stock, cloutier(ask salo),beuk?? just throwing names out there
Im gonna have to veto Purington, as he was well, meh. Mallette is a so-so pick in my mind, stock no way


sorry going for the heavy hitters here for the most part.

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:19 AM
  #14
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Leaving out the fighters before the mid 70’s, so no Kurtenbach, Irvine, Stemkowski etc. There is very, VERY little footage of that era, and I didn’t live through it to see it in person.

1) Joey Kocur- 53 NYR Fights.
Kocur had the heaviest hands of any enforcer in the history of the NHL to date. Proof is in the wake of broken bones, bloody noses, and unconciuos opponents he left. When Kocur fought, he swung for the fences, and had incredible accuracy for a guy that fought for the win. Overpowered a lot of opponents even though he was smaller than most. Good stamina, vicious mean streak. The guy never…NEVER ducked anyone. His fight card had just about every heavyweight of his time on it. And that wasn’t easy, considering many of the players of that era consistently ducked him! Kocur also had one of the best best win/loss ratios of any Rangers enforcer(excluding anything before the mid 70’s)

Wins over: Baumgartner, A. May, Ray, Kastellic, Severyn, Carkner, Donnelly, McCrae, Berube, Probert, McCarty, Laus, Grimson, Brashear, and Simpson.

2) Nick Fotiu- 44 NYR Fights
Edges out Darren Langdon for the better win/loss ratio, and also wins in more convincing fashion. Had one of the biggest reputations of his time. Had great hand speed. Also was extremely technical. Ex golden gloves champ, that had trouble finding dance partners a lot of times. Came to the Rangers at a time when they truly needed an enforcer. He delivered in convincing fashion. Fotiu had some of the greatest pre-game antics that were used to literally intimidate the opposition before they even entered the lockerroom. Super tough guy, an absolute legend!

Wins over: Holmgren, Shoenfeld, Wilson, Baxter, Robertson, Hunter, Nilan,

3) Darren Langdon- 97 NYR Fights More than any player to wear a Ranger sweater.
Langdon was a freak of nature. Another guy smaller in size than most of his opponents, but don’t tell him that. Best technical fighter to ever play for the Rangers. Best stamina of any fighter to ever play the game. Great counter puncher, and had an excellent chin. Best fight card of any enforcer to ever play the game…so you know he too never ducked anyone. Langdon was a total 2nd half fighter. He would tie up the opposition, take a few shots, and wait for his opponent to tire himself out. Then he would come on and totally take control of the fight.

Wins over: Randy McKay 3x, Berube 2x, Simpson, Probert, Churla, Leroux, Simon, McCarthy, Odjick, Vial, Belanger, Laus, Vukota, Baumgartner, Oliwa, and Worrell.

4) Tie Domi- 48 NYR Fights
Small in size, but fought with the heart of a lion. Had KO power in both hands. One of the best chins in the game, and his low center of gravity made it real hard for opponents to tie him up effectively. His 2nd fight w/Probert was one of the most publicized fights in NHL history. No Ranger enforcer ever got MSG as pumped up as Domi did. His speed-bag antic after his bouts would send the Garden crownd into a frenzy! He played for the crowd, and they loved every minute of it. Was once labeled the “Satanic Keebler Elf!”

Wins over: A May, Vukota, Beukeboom, Baumgartner, Kordic, Odjick, Donnelly, May, Probert, Cronin.

5) Rudy Poeshek- 38 NYR Fights
6’2” built like a Tank. Poesheck was incredibly quick for a big guy. Threw rapid fire punches, and had very good accuracy. If he got the right going early, many opponents had a hard time getting going, especially if he landed. In his rookie season he didn’t lose a fight in his first 11…and then he met up with Dave Brown. In his short span, (2 full seasons)he had one of the best win/loss ratios of any Ranger enforcer.

Wins over: Chychrun 2x, McRae 2x, Wells, Tocchet, Daneyko, Kyte, Diduck.

6) Barry Beck- 37 NYR Fights
One of the strongest players to ever play the game. Beck for the time was a freak of nature! If he had a shorter fuse would probably be the best enforcer in Rangers history. When he finally lost his cool, look out. He had KO power, and was one of the fighters on the time to consistently drop opponents. Problem is he didn’t get mad enough. Plus, he didn’t fight too much. A lot of his fights ended up in hug fests, probably cause his opponents didn’t want to get hit!

Wins over: Holmgren, Plante, Howatt, Bert Wislon. Nilan 2x, Brubaker, Wells, Baxter, Tocchet, Price

7) George McPhee- 33 NYR Fights
Super tough individual. Fought like a Tasmanian devil. Rapid-fire punches, incredible accurate. McPhee surprised a lot of opponents. Probably because he was half their size. He was the real deal though, and stood up for himself and his teammates often. His fights w/Tocchet are still talked aout today by the hockey-fight fans of the world.

Wins over: Langevin, Lambert, Tocchet, Markwart, Blomqvist.Chris Nilan- 40 NYR Fights

8) Sandy McCarthy- 32 NYR Fights
McCarthy was a little past his prime when he came to NY, but the guy was still considered a top ten heavy for the time. He was super fast, and fought with a jack-hammer right. If he got it going early, it was tough to come back from. Lacked KO power, but made up for it accurate punches and good stamina. Could have done a better job in the enforcer role, but ducked a lot of the heavy’s of his time, and was inconsistent. Was a better player overall than most of the aforementioned. Earlier in his career was a top 3 fighter, and possible considered champ in the early 90’s.

Wins over: Stock, McKenzie 2x, Oliwa 2x, Hordichuk, Boulton, Grimson, Shelley.

9) Chris “Knuckles” Nilan was a great technical fighter. He loved to fight the big boys. Was smaller than most of his opposition, but was so good at tying you up and getting loose he won more than he lost. Not too many other players out there with wins over Dave Brown, Hunter and McSorley.

Wins over: Huscroft, Carkner, Brown, McSorley, Nylund, Hunter, Secord.


10) Dale Purinton- 69 NYR Fights
A total gorilla! Purinton has the nastiest streak of just about any of the aforementioned. He was also the dirtiest by far, which makes him lose a lot of respect by the fight community, and more specifically other enforcers in general. But…he was a very good fighter. When he opend up he could do some damage, evidenced by the Fedoruk and Cummins fights. Purinton is a huge guy, and strong as an OX. Some of his fights, especially in the latter years were a little on the boring side, being that he was a bit of a hugger. Good fight card, and decent power in the right hand, but didn’t get going enough. Still 69 Ranger fights and a good win/loss ratio lands him in the top 10.

Wins over: Marshall, Low, Fedoruk, Nazarov, Blouin, and Cummins

11) Jeff Beukeboom- 74 NYR Fights
What a monster! A better stand-up defenseman than he was a pure fighter, but he was still one of the better fighters the team has ever had. Good power, and if he landed flush there’s a good chance your going down. Overpowered his opponents, and had great reach, but gassed early. If his fights went t he distance he usually gassed out and ended up losing them.

Wins over: Miller, Vukota, Ray, Loney, McSorley, McKay, Tamer, Lambert, Odgers, McKay, Carkner

12) Adam Graves- 45 NYR Fights
One of the classiest, nicest, most genuine individuals to ever play the game, is also one of the toughest to ever play for the Rangers. Strong as an OX, and always stuck up for his team. No matter what, or who. Graves was an underrated fighter, and was more likely than not instructed not to fight by management being that guys like Kocur, King, Beuk, Langdon were also teammates during his tenure. Not a good fight card, but again was probably instructed not to fight.

Wins over: Ray, Peluso, Boivin, Barnaby, Tinordi, G Murphy, Jennings.

13) Kris King- 63 NYR Fights
Super tough compact little fighter. King and Domi played together and were a great little tandem. He didn’t have anything special, but always managed to do OK, and many times against tougher opposition. Very active as a fighter while with the Rangers.

Wins over: Stewart, Kypreos, Dineen, Evans, Mcguire, McSorley, Tocchet, Pilon

14) Eric Cairns- 30 NYR Fights
Another monster. When Cairns was in the AHL, he was literally running right through all of the opposition. One KO after another, and was considered the toughest guy in the AHL. He didn’t last long in NY, but managed a couple good seasons in the fight department. He had real heavy hands, and an real nasty streak. Took a ouple bad losses, but still won far more than he lost. Went on to be one of the best heavyweights of his time after leaving the Rangers.

Wins over: Peluso, Vukota, Odelien, McKay, Daniels, Oliwa, DeBrusk, Malkoc, Stevenson,

15) Ron Greschner- 53 NYR Fights
Before many peoples times, but Greschner was a tough guy. A big guy, and could handle himself well. He never really dominated anyone cept for Lindy Ruff who he KO’d! Gresch did the deed for a long time for the Rangers.

Wins over: Ruff, McCrimmon, Lambert, Cunneyworth.
Great Post, thanks Lion. Im excluding Purinton, because in my opinion he was way to dirty of a player for my liking.

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:24 AM
  #15
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Langdon and Domi and "Knuckles Nilan" should all be in there. Any old timers around that heard of a Ranger named George McPhee? Great fights on youtube between McPhee and Nystrom and Tochett and a bunch of guys. You guys should check it out. Just put in George McPhee fights. Short but tough as nails. I would include Ed Hospadar, but no way. Not after that Gillies fight.

Colton Orr sounds like a good one. Of course fotiu. Surpised someone remembered Poechek and Mccarthy. Purinton? What about Strudwick lol? Sounds funny but he fought Orr when Orr was with the Bruins and it looked like an even bout. Found that on youtube as well.
George McPhee,was tough as nails. Constantly busting his knucles on other guys helmets.

Is a pretty good GM in Washington now too.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:24 AM
  #16
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 26,383
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Brendan Shanahan just cause he stood up to that ***** brashear when no one else would.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 08:35 AM
  #17
RangersFan
Registered User
 
RangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: LA, CA & NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
voted for my personal fave on the list, Langdon. wasn't the biggest or strongest, but damn he seemed to be the smartest. he would win many fights that he seemed out matched in. probably fought the most fights i've ever seen a ranger fight. especially provided some entertainment during our non playoff years...

RangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:16 AM
  #18
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
voted for my personal fave on the list, Langdon. wasn't the biggest or strongest, but damn he seemed to be the smartest. he would win many fights that he seemed out matched in. probably fought the most fights i've ever seen a ranger fight. especially provided some entertainment during our non playoff years...

Langdon was such a great technical fighter. Waited for his opponents to punch out, and then took over the fight.


Rangers have a very similar fighter in the system right now in Justin Soryal. Granted he is out of the lineup for a little while with a broken hand, but Soryal is among the most technical fighters in the AHL right now. Kid is amazing at switching hands, something not every fighter can do. Soryal has mastered it, and that combined with his stamina, and chin is what enables this guy to hang with any enforcer in the AHL...And probably soon in the NHL.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:18 AM
  #19
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
I left Orr off the list, becuase he is obviously still playing. But...no question about it, Orr is well on his way to that top 10, and if he was traded tommorrow, he very well could be top 5 on that list.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:26 AM
  #20
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
George McPhee,was tough as nails. Constantly busting his knucles on other guys helmets.

Is a pretty good GM in Washington now too.
The worst beating I've ever seen was handed down by George McPhee. It may have very well been my first year watching hockey. I could be wrong but I'm 90 percent sure the recipient of the beating was a defense-man named David Langevin. I could still visualize Langevin down on one knee, face all bloodied and although he played for the Islanders, I remember feeling so bad for this player.

I don't know why the ref's didn't break it up sooner but they should have. Langevin was probably out a month after that. And I remember when he returned to the Islanders lineup I was pleased to know the poor guy was still alive but his face looked scarred and busted up.

To this day I haven't seen a beating as worse than that (Fedoruk Knock out included) and I hope I never do.

And yes, the Caps have one of if not the most exciting team in hockey. McPhee is doing a great job for them.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 09:50 AM
  #21
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
The worst beating I've ever seen was handed down by George McPhee. It may have very well been my first year watching hockey. I could be wrong but I'm 90 percent sure the recipient of the beating was a defense-man named David Langevin. I could still visualize Langevin down on one knee, face all bloodied and although he played for the Islanders, I remember feeling so bad for this player.

I don't know why the ref's didn't break it up sooner but they should have. Langevin was probably out a month after that. And I remember when he returned to the Islanders lineup I was pleased to know the poor guy was still alive but his face looked scarred and busted up.

To this day I haven't seen a beating as worse than that (Fedoruk Knock out included) and I hope I never do.

And yes, the Caps have one of if not the most exciting team in hockey. McPhee is doing a great job for them.
In the next meeting with those two clubs, Nystrom tried to exact a little revenge for the Langevin beatdown. They came together, and both guy fired the right hands. Back and forth, it was a great tilt. What really has to impress you about McPhee, is he was half the size of guys like Beck, but he had no problem shedding the mitts with Nystrom, who at the time was amongst the leagues most feared fighters.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 10:19 AM
  #22
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
In the next meeting with those two clubs, Nystrom tried to exact a little revenge for the Langevin beatdown. They came together, and both guy fired the right hands. Back and forth, it was a great tilt. What really has to impress you about McPhee, is he was half the size of guys like Beck, but he had no problem shedding the mitts with Nystrom, who at the time was amongst the leagues most feared fighters.
That could be the head butt fight. Where Nystrom head butted McPhee when the fight was over. But McPhee was just rapid fire, guns blazing (using your words Tazmanian Devil) type fighter.
I cannot vote in this poll but I would have to flip a coin between he and Kocur as being the toughest.

I don't think however Poeshek should have made top 10, IMO. Reason being, and you seem to know your fighting, is that Rudy could never seem to hold his own with Mick Vukota. It almost seemed as if Mick owned him. I believe not too long after, Domi arrived and Vukota had finally met his match (as far as Rangers bruisers go). If you remember it was around the time we had a young kid name Dennis Vial in the system. Too bad we traded him and Ryan Vanenbussche as they were some real tough customers. Vandenbussche reminded me of Langdon in a way because both were technical, second half, wear you down type fighters. Not really the type of fighters Colton Orr would want to go with. Finally, I feel Strudwick is under rated. He also never backed down, and always protected his teamates.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
  #23
RonGreschner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Shane Churla
Ed Hospodar
Marty McSorley

RonGreschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 10:42 AM
  #24
gravytrain6t
Registered User
 
gravytrain6t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGreschner View Post
Shane Churla
Ed Hospodar
Marty McSorley
Those are some good names. Hospadar, definitely had a rep as being tough. way before my time. Had his jaw broken and was KO's by Clark Gillies. With that image alone, I would prefer he be off the list.

McSorley was a great heavy weight. He came to the Rangers way past his prime though and I'm not to sure how long he even stuck around or who he convincingly beat. He was a great Edmonton enforcer as well as with the Kings though.

Same thing with Churla. How long was he with the Rangers? Who did he beat? I don't remember a single fight. Almost like Vandenbussche and Vial. All heavy weights. But made their names with other clubs.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2009, 10:59 AM
  #25
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
It may seem like nitpicking but I don't like the 'of all time' description when we're looking at a list from the late 70's to the present. I started following the team in the early 70's--anyway some legendary Ranger fighters from before my time--Lou Fontinato, Reggie Fleming, Orland Kurtenbach. The Ranger that Sean Avery plays in the Rocket Richard movie was Bob Dill. Others that come to mind would be Babe Pratt, Brad Park, Vic Hadfield, Bert Wilson. Steve Vickers did not fight very often but in his rookie season floored Don Marcotte with one punch and beat Terry O'Reilly and Wayne Cashman. Another infrequent fighter Ron Harris was very bad news when he did.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.