HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors Prospect Discussion (no AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2008, 08:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
So up to this point, who really won that trade w/ Phoenix?
We did.

Sjostrom is a solid player that could play above the role he is currently filling.

Hossa is not in the NHL currently, he is playing well in Russia though, Montoya is not in the NHL and is playing poorly.

I would say, we won. We got the best player in the deal.

Old
12-16-2008, 08:47 PM
asparkoflife

Sjostrom is the best player by far in that deal...Montoya cant even start in the AHL right now...

Old
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

All Hail the Shoe! Rangers win that trade right now.

Old
12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He was lights out in the WJC that year, he looked really good.
That's right. I knew I was forgetting something that was key to all of the hype.

Old
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
squishy

Quote:
It's been a bumpy transition to pro hockey for Ryan Hillier, but his rookie season may be turning.

Hillier's two goals sparked the Charlotte Checkers' 4-2 ECHL victory against the Elmira Jackals at Time Warner Cable Arena on Wednesday. He had one goal in eight previous games.

“The players here are a little bigger and stronger,” said Hillier, 20, the New York Rangers' third-round pick in 2006. “My first 10 to 15 games, I was getting used to the league. I know that if I play like I can, I can help this team.”

He has five goals in 24 games.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/che...ry/421638.html

Old
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Zabs picked up an assist on one of the goals. I had higher hopes for Zaborsky than Hillier.

Anyone heard from Bmoak?

It's just pain.
Old
12-19-2008, 02:40 AM
gravytrain6t

It was def the Chery tragedy. But even so, I'm still a Sather supporter. Look at when we had Neil Smith. Two first round picks. We get Brendyl and Lundmark. Nice!! Neither one made it to the NHL. What I like about Sather is his track record of getting really good late picks.
Look at the Oiler dynasty. Messier was drafted some where in the third round. But the Rangers made out alright by drafting Doug Sulliman and Ed Hospidar before Messier was called up to the podium.( And you the Jessiman pick was bad lol.) Jari Kurri was drafted in the 4th round. Glen Anderson was in the 4th round. Mactavish in the 9th round. Tikkanen in the 4th round....etc

Just kidding about Messier. Besides the Oilers, so many other teams could have picked him up as well.

My point is. Is that HF could have us go from number 8 to last in the league as far as prospect potential. I'm indifferent completely. I wouldn't even pay attention to that stuff.

Old
12-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
It was def the Chery tragedy. But even so, I'm still a Sather supporter. Look at when we had Neil Smith. Two first round picks. We get Brendyl and Lundmark. Nice!! Neither one made it to the NHL. What I like about Sather is his track record of getting really good late picks.
Look at the Oiler dynasty. Messier was drafted some where in the third round. But the Rangers made out alright by drafting Doug Sulliman and Ed Hospidar before Messier was called up to the podium.( And you the Jessiman pick was bad lol.) Jari Kurri was drafted in the 4th round. Glen Anderson was in the 4th round. Mactavish in the 9th round. Tikkanen in the 4th round....etc

Just kidding about Messier. Besides the Oilers, so many other teams could have picked him up as well.

My point is. Is that HF could have us go from number 8 to last in the league as far as prospect potential. I'm indifferent completely. I wouldn't even pay attention to that stuff.
I am not a Neil Smith defender but neither of those two players would have fallen very far after the Rangers would have picked them.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanov 71 View Post
I am not a Neil Smith defender but neither of those two players would have fallen very far after the Rangers would have picked them.
An argument used to defend Smiths poor drafting time and time again, but one that is still asinine. I don't care where people are expected to fall in the draft. If that mattered, hire me and I can pick from a list I created the night before from the ISS/redline/hf prospect board. I want a GM who can figure out which one of the "sure things" are actually sure. Most GMs pick players around where they are projected to go. Every now and again you get an off-the-board or a way-too-early pick, but usually, at least in the first round, there are not too many huge surprises. Yet some teams draft better than others on a consistent basis. I wonder why?

Old
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
An argument used to defend Smiths poor drafting time and time again, but one that is still asinine. I don't care where people are expected to fall in the draft. If that mattered, hire me and I can pick from a list I created the night before from the ISS/redline/hf prospect board. I want a GM who can figure out which one of the "sure things" are actually sure. Most GMs pick players around where they are projected to go. Every now and again you get an off-the-board or a way-too-early pick, but usually, at least in the first round, there are not too many huge surprises. Yet some teams draft better than others on a consistent basis. I wonder why?
Its also not like that draft was great, the best player was picked in the 8th round, and there are not many NHLers from that draft.

Old
12-19-2008, 02:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Drafting Lundmark wasn't the problem.

He put up huge numbers in Juniors the year he was drafted, based on that one had to assume he could have been a good NHL player.

The real problem is that he should NEVER have traded Savard for that pick to begin with.

Nor should he have ever traded Amonte and Weight I'm not convinced that we wouldn't have won the Cup if we didn't trade those guys.

We sold our future for that Cup.

Should never have traded Kovalev or Zubov either.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 12-19-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old
12-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Levitate

Yeah but Kovalev and Zubov were traded after the cup...that was just desperation.

Zubov may have to retire because of his recent injuries, and Stars fans are calling him a "franchise defenseman". That kind of drives home how terrible that trade was for this franchise

Old
12-19-2008, 02:58 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanov 71 View Post
Its also not like that draft was great, the best player was picked in the 8th round, and there are not many NHLers from that draft.
Are you speaking of 1999? Because at the time '99 was viewed as a very deep draft. It didn't have the consensus #1 player, but in terms of depth and talent it was, at the time, viewed to be a much, much better draft than '98 and what was shaping up to be '00.

Old
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Levitate

Yeah but he means in retrospect it was a crappy draft year

Old
12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yea hindsight is great.

Old
12-19-2008, 03:29 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Which essentially underlines my point. Where players are "expected to go" or what "other GM's think" is irrelevant. I don't care if Brendl was a lock for the top 5 or Malhotra was coveted by the Colorado GM. The best GM's get results along with making picks that "make sense".

Old
12-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Projecting how a player will progress is one of the most difficult things to do in sports. There are so many 'models' that people swear by that yield similar results. The best you can do is find a guy that has a work ethic and excels against older players. Late bloomers certainly happen but they're rare.

As far as some teams drafting better, you have to remember that every team has different needs and ways of prioritizing those needs. But at the end of the day, you're still rolling the dice.

Old
12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Which essentially underlines my point. Where players are "expected to go" or what "other GM's think" is irrelevant. I don't care if Brendl was a lock for the top 5 or Malhotra was coveted by the Colorado GM. The best GM's get results along with making picks that "make sense".
I don't even know what point you were making, I was just pointing out what the post meant.

Old
12-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Mark Seidel of CSS was on HNIC radio last week and he was raving about Grachev. Said that he was a great skater with size and he was capable of playing for the Rangers next year.

Old
12-19-2008, 10:23 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Would've been great if he, Cherepanov, and Anisimov all hit the NHL in the same year.

What a tragedy

Old
12-19-2008, 10:50 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Would've been great if he, Cherepanov, and Anisimov all hit the NHL in the same year.

What a tragedy
Have a feeling that that was the plan.

Old
12-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Mark Seidel of CSS was on HNIC radio last week and he was raving about Grachev. Said that he was a great skater with size and he was capable of playing for the Rangers next year.
I just had a thought of Grachev-Dubinsky-Zherdev as a line.

Old
12-20-2008, 12:01 PM
NYRMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I just had a thought of Grachev-Dubinsky-Zherdev as a line.
Some nice size, good grit, nice overall talent. To think it just might happen sometime.

It all depends if Dubinsky and Zherdev plan to part ways sometime next year.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Some nice size, good grit, nice overall talent. To think it just might happen sometime.

It all depends if Dubinsky and Zherdev plan to part ways sometime next year.
Doubt it. I believe in mid-January both will have new contracts, I hope at the deadline or at the Draft one of the big contracts, will be moved. Most likely Rozsival.

Old
12-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Duponttime*

Honestly, I never thought Lundmark was the same after his knee injury. It's like he lost half his speed and never got it back. Strange how some guys get an injury that other players overcome and stink after it.

Closed Thread