HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors Prospect Discussion (no AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2008, 11:38 PM
NYReign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Omsk's game tomorrow is available online:

http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/...astmetallurgma
Do you know what time it starts by any chance Squishy? I think it said 15:55 on the link but not sure what time zone that is. The game is my backup plan in case NHL 09 isn't here by then lol

Old
09-10-2008, 05:50 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Do you know what time it starts by any chance Squishy? I think it said 15:55 on the link but not sure what time zone that is. The game is my backup plan in case NHL 09 isn't here by then lol

Sorry, it's 8am NY time.

Old
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
So how did he look guys (and gal)? I saw from the other thread that he didn't register a point, but it sounded as if he had a couple of good opportunities.

It's just pain.
Old
09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
squishy

Avangard Omsk vs. Salavat Yulaev on now (sorry, forgot to post last night):

http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/...astsalavatjula

Old
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Levitate

Looks like they're down 1-4

Graham sucks!

Old
09-12-2008, 08:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Avangard Omsk vs. Salavat Yulaev on now (sorry, forgot to post last night):

http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/...astsalavatjula
In the future, you can stream these games directly in Windows Media Player (or your player of choice) so the picture isn't so small.

Right-click on the stream from the SportBox site, then click "Properties." Copy the URL in the "Location" field. Then open up your media player, go to File > Open URL. Paste the URL of the stream and it will load in WMP, and at approximately 3x the size.

Old
09-12-2008, 08:48 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Looks like they're down 1-4

Graham sucks!
Agreed, but Omsk's defense doesn't exactly do him any favors.

Old
09-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Levitate

Yeah, I've noticed their defensemen don't seem to be that great, and their team defense isn't that great.

they really kind of remind me of the Rangers in years past

Old
09-12-2008, 09:15 AM
squishy

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed their defensemen don't seem to be that great, and their team defense isn't that great.

they really kind of remind me of the Rangers in years past
Brutal.

5-1 final. I can't say anyone from Omsk looked good, frankly. Blech.

Following up on the great stat debate, the KHL web site finally updated their site with stats from Wednesday's game, and Cherepanov was in fact given credit for the mystery assist.

Working backwards from the season totals, it looks like he played about 15 and a half minutes in 17 shifts on Wednesday and had 2 shots.

Old
09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Levitate

He didn't cover the front of the net on the 5th goal today, but I have a hard time really blaming him overall on that. His entire team was over in the corner, and none of them could come up with the puck. No one was paying attention, and when you're down and you're a scoring forward, you're not exactly supposed to be standing deep in your own zone.

It looked kinda bad, but it was pretty much an entire team screw up

Old
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Ola

Something that really have stood out so far is how great Cherepanov is defensivly, when his team have a PP... Nobody backchecks harder them him to win back the puck if they loose it on the PP.

When 5 on 5 though, he is playing "alibi defense". Like I am a bit sarcastic, but it seems like his intentions in the defensive zone is to atleast do something so that he won't be blamed if a goal is scored -- he doesn't break a sweat to do more.

Old
09-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Damn, the games are on way too early for me. Is this game worth watching the replay of?

Old
09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Damn, the games are on way too early for me. Is this game worth watching the replay of?
No. At least the third period was boring. Omsk couldn't break the trap that the other team was playing and maybe got like one decent scoring chance. Didn't help that they suck

Old
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
squishy

Quote:
No. At least the third period was boring. Omsk couldn't break the trap that the other team was playing and maybe got like one decent scoring chance. Didn't help that they suck
Couldn't have said it better myself. I certainly won't be going back to watch what I missed!

Old
09-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Potentially bad news for Omsk. Bob Hartley is interviewing for the head coaching job? This makes zero sense.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=EN&ie=UTF-8

Old
09-13-2008, 06:06 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Potentially bad news for Omsk. Bob Hartley is interviewing for the head coaching job? This makes zero sense.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=EN&ie=UTF-8
How is that bad? Bringing in an NHL coach could help Chere understand the NA game better.

Old
09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
squishy

A bit more on the topic, in English

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...siberia-bound/

Old
09-14-2008, 01:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

So uh..is cherry even getting 15 min of icetime? From what i hear he hardly plays.....thanks jagr for hogging the icetime.(well not him really.but the coaches)

Old
09-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Ola

I think Hartley is good news for us; he'll put NHL caliber demands on his players, practises and gametalk will be in english et c.

Cherepanov is getting 3rd line type of ice time, not more or less.

Old
09-14-2008, 04:53 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Hartley sucks at developing young kids. that's why atlanta traded away the likes of Coburn for nothing.

He doesn't speak the language, and will be making the team play a style they're not used to. I don't think he'll be beneficial at all.

Old
09-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Hartley sucks at developing young kids. that's why atlanta traded away the likes of Coburn for nothing.

He doesn't speak the language, and will be making the team play a style they're not used to. I don't think he'll be beneficial at all.
The team doesnt really look like they're playing a style at all, at the moment. So any style might be an improvement.

Also, Atlanta traded Coburn because Waddel is a moron

Old
09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Ola

Quote:

Cherepanov isn't a kid for Omsk, he have been a 1st line/2nd line player for them during the last 2 seasons.

Hartley was very firm with Kovalchuk in Atlanta too. Made IK a healty scratch to state a example a couple of times, despite IK beeing one of his top scorers.

Also, Hartley is a good coach in the sense that he can implement his ideas; but after the lockout he tryed to implement a game plan that had no potential to work -- thats not good. At the same time it was a misstake many coaches did.

In the big picture Hartley is without a doubt a NHL caliber coach in how he runs practises, in how he prepairs a team, in what he expects from his players -- I think that will help Cherepanov.

Old
09-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Ola

Quote:
The team doesnt really look like they're playing a style at all, at the moment. So any style might be an improvement.

Also, Atlanta traded Coburn because Waddel is a moron
They are getting blitz, atleast against UFA.

It have been the same thing all over in the hockeyworld the last year and a half. Russia took over against a Canadian dream team in the WCH's and completely ran them over the last 20-30 minutes. Red Wings completely owned the NHL. Speed and offensive creativity absolutely kills these days. Omsk really got a "dream team". Having guys like Jagr, Rosa, Svitov, Klepis, Ryabahkin and Nikulin in the KHL is like having Thornton, Kovalchuk, Eric Staal, Gomez, Phaneuf and Pronger on the same team in the NHL -- still a team like UFA can completely dominate them. UFA played pretty much exactly like the Red Wings. Small guys who can skate like the wind and handle the puck, lead by guys like Radulov, Koltsov (from Pitts) and Perezoghin. Stationary, individual stars don't know what hit them when the smaller guys starts to skate and pass the puck.

It will take a long time before it sets in completely in the NHL; but I don't think you can have much success in this league anymore with allot of the stars who where established before the lockout. Guys like Thornton, Sundin and co. Sure their is much much much worse options then guys like them; but types like that won't take their team anywhere in the new NHL. It sounds nuts, but the Zetterbergs, Datsyuks, Parise, M. Richards, Gaborik, Kopitar, Kane, Statsny and Hemsky's of the league is taking over the league -- like a team of Statsny's/Richards/Parise's would beat a team of Joe Thronton's, I am sure of it.

Truth to be told, its defenitly not based on one game -- but after watching UFA beat Omsk I am becomming more and more warm of the idea of letting Jagr go; and makes me wish more and more that Sundin and Shanny isn't comming here.

Old
09-14-2008, 01:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Something that really have stood out so far is how great Cherepanov is defensivly, when his team have a PP... Nobody backchecks harder them him to win back the puck if they loose it on the PP.

When 5 on 5 though, he is playing "alibi defense". Like I am a bit sarcastic, but it seems like his intentions in the defensive zone is to atleast do something so that he won't be blamed if a goal is scored -- he doesn't break a sweat to do more.
But what do people expect from him? Dive in front of shots, be throwing checks all over the place?

He is a goal scorer/play maker. Not a power forward or a Betts type. If he at least plays positionally well on the defensive side of the puck, then that is fine by me. Get into passing lanes, get his stick in passing lanes.

Old
09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
But what do people expect from him? Dive in front of shots, be throwing checks all over the place?

He is a goal scorer/play maker. Not a power forward or a Betts type. If he at least plays positionally well on the defensive side of the puck, then that is fine by me. Get into passing lanes, get his stick in passing lanes.
Chere at the age he is right now, make Jagr look like Betts defensivly... (seriously)

He puts himself above the defensive side of the game (5 on 5).

Its early in the season and too early to start drawing any conclusions -- but what I've seen of Chere so far in 2 games have not been very positive. Sure he is talented, slick, skilled and everything -- but he won't even get close with that alone in the game of hockey anno 2008. Its not too late for him to pick it up -- but he could be heading the same direction as Pavel Brendl at this pt. First of all he needs to become stronger and more explosive, and he needs to correct allot of attitude problems on the ice. One aspect that worrys me is that he almost a worse skater now then he was when he was younger. Like he have grown and become taller -- but his core strength seems to have fallen behind a tad because he doesn't have the same agility as he had when he was younger. Like when he trys to make his patent direction changes that he had so much success with as a junior these days, he often looses his footing. But his straight away speed seems to have become better.

Anyway, its far to early to tell anything for sure. The KHL is a good league and Cherepanov is showing allot of glimpses of the natrual skill level he got at that level. However Chere is a 87', he will soon be 22 y/o. Like its time for him to start moving now. Its not good enough to be god awful in allot of aspect, and only "talented" offensivly.

Last edited by Ola: 09-14-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Closed Thread