HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

How much do you pay for car insurance?

Old
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

vCash: 500
How much do you pay for car insurance?

So I'm about to get an '09 Scion tC. I called my auto insurance company (Allstate) about an hour ago to tell them this. My current car, a '96 Toyota Camry, costs me $450 every 6 months to insure. Once I get my Scion, it goes up to $1090 every 6 months! Because it's considered to be a "sports" car! I'm like, what the hell, I'm almost 25 years old and have never been in an accident in my life (though I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, which was at least 5 years ago)! This really annoyed me, so I'd like to see what all of your rates are for your cars.

And on a side note, I don't get how they can call a tC a sports car. It's got the same engine as a Camry for God's sake. What's taken into consideration when judging whether or not a car gets the "sports" label?

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
ladybugblue

One thing to consider is whether you now have full replacement on your vehicle...When I bought my car new, I needed to have collision or full replacement, as I had financed the vehicle. This adds a considerable amount of money.

Current vehicle: Mazda Protege 2002 $1020 per year with no collision, fire and theft, but $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 liability. I have been driving for over 17 years. Insurance for 8 full consequive years (no insurance for a few years while a student). Live in Alberta, Canada. No accidents, speeding tickets for over 15 years.

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Sayuri

My insurance is $85 every month. Not too bad, I can handle it. I know a lot of people that get gouged though. A friend of mine unfortunately was an idiot and got an impaired and is paying about $3500 a year for insurance. One huge incentive not to drink and drive, not that that is the only reason by any means.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
rigger

$61 for my duramax diesel and about 150 for the lexus.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Stoneman89

Your company shouldn't have used the term "sports car" when expaining things. Vehicles are rated differently for many different reason. One of them is "steal-ability". Some vehicles have a history and are more prone to theft than others.
Another would be "fixability". Some vehicles cost more to fix than others. Typically, 2 doors cost more to fix than 4 doors. If there is a side collision, you may be able to get away with only fixing a small door, whereas a single larger door could be more costly. 4 WD vehicles cost more to fis than 2 wheel drive. Imports can cost more to fix than domestics. Cost price is only one other factor when determining the insurance rate. Can't help with your rate, as I don't operate where you are, but I hope the explanation helps a bit.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
So I'm about to get an '09 Scion tC. I called my auto insurance company (Allstate) about an hour ago to tell them this. My current car, a '96 Toyota Camry, costs me $450 every 6 months to insure. Once I get my Scion, it goes up to $1090 every 6 months! Because it's considered to be a "sports" car! I'm like, what the hell, I'm almost 25 years old and have never been in an accident in my life (though I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, which was at least 5 years ago)! This really annoyed me, so I'd like to see what all of your rates are for your cars.

And on a side note, I don't get how they can call a tC a sports car. It's got the same engine as a Camry for God's sake. What's taken into consideration when judging whether or not a car gets the "sports" label?
First thing you need to make sure is you are getting an apples to apples quote. Are you getting the same coverage as your previous car (comp/coll etc)? If you didn't have physical damage coverage before then there is your answer. Physical damage is required by lienholders to protect their interest (the car).

A tC is a small car w/ a bigger cars engine in it. Not that i agree with Allstate but that could be their reasoning and they probably have actuarial evidence to back up their rates. I would suggest going to an independent agent and/or going to other direct write companies like Geico, AIG Direct and State Farm etc. The independent agent will have multiple markets they can shop you to. Although it isn't always the case, insurance isn't much different than most other things. You get what you pay for. So make sure you do a bit of research on a company before you go changing.

Now I don't know a ton about personal insurance but different factors can drive your insurance rate. Where one company your vehicle selection might drive the premium, another might be from that small accident you have. That is where you might find some disparity in pricing from company to company. You might find that Allstate is just expensive in your situation.

I pay $800 every 6 months and I am 27 years old, have one ticket on my record and an accident the company doesn't charge me for. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord (4 cyl.). But I also live in LA which means it will be hard for you to compare what I pay to what you pay.

Do you have other vehicles and or your home (if you have one) with Allstate? Have you had good experience with Allstate? These are other things to consider before you go taking your business elsewhere.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
My insurance is $85 every month. Not too bad, I can handle it. I know a lot of people that get gouged though. A friend of mine unfortunately was an idiot and got an impaired and is paying about $3500 a year for insurance. One huge incentive not to drink and drive, not that that is the only reason by any means.
Can you elaborate?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm paying about $1200/year for my Integra, and was paying close to $6000/year for my M3. That's in Alberta too, I'm not even going to want to think about how much that'll cost in BC.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
vcx*

1400 a year.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
weaponomega

Right after I turned 25 my insurance droped from $100 per month to $77.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:04 PM
bigbadrizz

2400 per year I have an 08 altima with the 6 cylinder in a stick.

bigbadrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 50
My husband and I pay not quite a 1000 a year on three cars. Two are older and we just have the basic on them. My car is a '07 Escape Hybrid that has full coverage on it. We do get a mulit-driver/multi-car discount and have been with Mercury for years. I would definitely shop around though, alot of companies will make you a better deal.

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:17 PM
IBleedOil247

$2880/year. Clean record. 24 Years old. Full coverage.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Devil Dancer

There are a lot of factors that go into your insurance price, including: type of coverage, type of vehicle, value of vehicle, how much you drive, where the vehicle is stored at night, driving record of drivers, age of drivers, etc.

I pay about $2K/year (American dollars)
My age: 30
Car: 2008 Jetta
Coverage: Full collision with $500 deductible
Driving record: 1 moving violation in last 5 years; no accidents
Average driving: Less than 1000 miles/month

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:33 PM
AltaHab

vCash: 50
About $425/year but it's fluctuated over the years. I've been with the same carrier for 30 years now with one (my fault) accident and a couple of tickets since I got my license at 16. The most I've ever paid was $660/year up until I turned 26 then my premiums started dropping after that.

I'm going to buy a newer car this summer so I'll see what happens with my premium.

AltaHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Can you elaborate?
I know people who pay a lot for insurance, that's what I meant. Car insurance I don't have a problem with, its homeowners insurance that ticks me off. My parents had an awful time with their insurance company after losing their home in a fire.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

Quote:

Doesn't matter. They see you as 25 years old and your sports car.

They see mr. King of the universe (no offense), who will go at 1000 mph to show off.

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
$69 a month.

'97 Nissan Altima, had a DUI in '03 and a few speeding tickets... 25 years old.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Dakota Sioux

I own a 97' Tercel,a 03' Camry,and a 04 Yukon Denali XL and I pay 1700 bucks a year for full coverage.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Unholy Diver

Quote:

You should check into Erie Insurance, though I'm not 100% sure they service your end of the Commonwealth of PA

as for me I pay about $880 a year for a 2005 Hyundai

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Thanks for the replies. I know I don't have it that bad compared to some others, but this is much more than I'm used to paying for car insurance. I do plan on looking around and doing some research to see if I can find any (significantly) better deals. If not I'll most likely just stick with Allstate, as they have been good to me in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
First thing you need to make sure is you are getting an apples to apples quote. Are you getting the same coverage as your previous car (comp/coll etc)? If you didn't have physical damage coverage before then there is your answer. Physical damage is required by lienholders to protect their interest (the car).

A tC is a small car w/ a bigger cars engine in it. Not that i agree with Allstate but that could be their reasoning and they probably have actuarial evidence to back up their rates. I would suggest going to an independent agent and/or going to other direct write companies like Geico, AIG Direct and State Farm etc. The independent agent will have multiple markets they can shop you to. Although it isn't always the case, insurance isn't much different than most other things. You get what you pay for. So make sure you do a bit of research on a company before you go changing.

Now I don't know a ton about personal insurance but different factors can drive your insurance rate. Where one company your vehicle selection might drive the premium, another might be from that small accident you have. That is where you might find some disparity in pricing from company to company. You might find that Allstate is just expensive in your situation.

I pay $800 every 6 months and I am 27 years old, have one ticket on my record and an accident the company doesn't charge me for. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord (4 cyl.). But I also live in LA which means it will be hard for you to compare what I pay to what you pay.

Do you have other vehicles and or your home (if you have one) with Allstate? Have you had good experience with Allstate? These are other things to consider before you go taking your business elsewhere.
Yes I am getting the same coverage as my previous car (96 Camry). I had actually considered dropping the collision coverage for my last payment, since I had planned on getting a new car in the near future. They did also mention that the rate would most likely drop a few hundred dollars once I turn 25. Also I do not own any other vehicles, nor do I own a home yet (I rent a duplex house). I have had good experience with them as well, and will most likely stay with them, unless I can find a significant price drop from what they'll be charging me. Thanks for the post, very helpful.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Eazy T

$112/mo

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Chartrand

77 a month for a 2000 mercury cougar.