HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

How much do you pay for car insurance?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
  #1
Cinerary
The Inexorable
 
Cinerary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
How much do you pay for car insurance?

So I'm about to get an '09 Scion tC. I called my auto insurance company (Allstate) about an hour ago to tell them this. My current car, a '96 Toyota Camry, costs me $450 every 6 months to insure. Once I get my Scion, it goes up to $1090 every 6 months! Because it's considered to be a "sports" car! I'm like, what the hell, I'm almost 25 years old and have never been in an accident in my life (though I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, which was at least 5 years ago)! This really annoyed me, so I'd like to see what all of your rates are for your cars.

And on a side note, I don't get how they can call a tC a sports car. It's got the same engine as a Camry for God's sake. What's taken into consideration when judging whether or not a car gets the "sports" label?

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
  #2
ladybugblue
Registered User
 
ladybugblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
One thing to consider is whether you now have full replacement on your vehicle...When I bought my car new, I needed to have collision or full replacement, as I had financed the vehicle. This adds a considerable amount of money.

Current vehicle: Mazda Protege 2002 $1020 per year with no collision, fire and theft, but $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 liability. I have been driving for over 17 years. Insurance for 8 full consequive years (no insurance for a few years while a student). Live in Alberta, Canada. No accidents, speeding tickets for over 15 years.

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
  #3
Sayuri
Registered User
 
Sayuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alberta, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
My insurance is $85 every month. Not too bad, I can handle it. I know a lot of people that get gouged though. A friend of mine unfortunately was an idiot and got an impaired and is paying about $3500 a year for insurance. One huge incentive not to drink and drive, not that that is the only reason by any means.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
  #4
rigger
Registered User
 
rigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jessica Alba's Dream
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 8,950
vCash: 500
$61 for my duramax diesel and about 150 for the lexus.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
  #5
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 500
Your company shouldn't have used the term "sports car" when expaining things. Vehicles are rated differently for many different reason. One of them is "steal-ability". Some vehicles have a history and are more prone to theft than others.
Another would be "fixability". Some vehicles cost more to fix than others. Typically, 2 doors cost more to fix than 4 doors. If there is a side collision, you may be able to get away with only fixing a small door, whereas a single larger door could be more costly. 4 WD vehicles cost more to fis than 2 wheel drive. Imports can cost more to fix than domestics. Cost price is only one other factor when determining the insurance rate. Can't help with your rate, as I don't operate where you are, but I hope the explanation helps a bit.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:29 PM
  #6
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
So I'm about to get an '09 Scion tC. I called my auto insurance company (Allstate) about an hour ago to tell them this. My current car, a '96 Toyota Camry, costs me $450 every 6 months to insure. Once I get my Scion, it goes up to $1090 every 6 months! Because it's considered to be a "sports" car! I'm like, what the hell, I'm almost 25 years old and have never been in an accident in my life (though I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, which was at least 5 years ago)! This really annoyed me, so I'd like to see what all of your rates are for your cars.

And on a side note, I don't get how they can call a tC a sports car. It's got the same engine as a Camry for God's sake. What's taken into consideration when judging whether or not a car gets the "sports" label?
First thing you need to make sure is you are getting an apples to apples quote. Are you getting the same coverage as your previous car (comp/coll etc)? If you didn't have physical damage coverage before then there is your answer. Physical damage is required by lienholders to protect their interest (the car).

A tC is a small car w/ a bigger cars engine in it. Not that i agree with Allstate but that could be their reasoning and they probably have actuarial evidence to back up their rates. I would suggest going to an independent agent and/or going to other direct write companies like Geico, AIG Direct and State Farm etc. The independent agent will have multiple markets they can shop you to. Although it isn't always the case, insurance isn't much different than most other things. You get what you pay for. So make sure you do a bit of research on a company before you go changing.

Now I don't know a ton about personal insurance but different factors can drive your insurance rate. Where one company your vehicle selection might drive the premium, another might be from that small accident you have. That is where you might find some disparity in pricing from company to company. You might find that Allstate is just expensive in your situation.

I pay $800 every 6 months and I am 27 years old, have one ticket on my record and an accident the company doesn't charge me for. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord (4 cyl.). But I also live in LA which means it will be hard for you to compare what I pay to what you pay.

Do you have other vehicles and or your home (if you have one) with Allstate? Have you had good experience with Allstate? These are other things to consider before you go taking your business elsewhere.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
  #7
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
My insurance is $85 every month. Not too bad, I can handle it. I know a lot of people that get gouged though. A friend of mine unfortunately was an idiot and got an impaired and is paying about $3500 a year for insurance. One huge incentive not to drink and drive, not that that is the only reason by any means.
Can you elaborate?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
  #8
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm paying about $1200/year for my Integra, and was paying close to $6000/year for my M3. That's in Alberta too, I'm not even going to want to think about how much that'll cost in BC.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
  #9
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
1400 a year.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
  #10
weaponomega
Registered User
 
weaponomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,585
vCash: 500
Right after I turned 25 my insurance droped from $100 per month to $77.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:04 PM
  #11
bigbadrizz
Registered User
 
bigbadrizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
2400 per year I have an 08 altima with the 6 cylinder in a stick.

bigbadrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
  #12
kducks
Duck Off
 
kducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 20,789
vCash: 50
My husband and I pay not quite a 1000 a year on three cars. Two are older and we just have the basic on them. My car is a '07 Escape Hybrid that has full coverage on it. We do get a mulit-driver/multi-car discount and have been with Mercury for years. I would definitely shop around though, alot of companies will make you a better deal.

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:17 PM
  #13
IBleedOil247
Registered User
 
IBleedOil247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
$2880/year. Clean record. 24 Years old. Full coverage.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
  #14
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
There are a lot of factors that go into your insurance price, including: type of coverage, type of vehicle, value of vehicle, how much you drive, where the vehicle is stored at night, driving record of drivers, age of drivers, etc.

I pay about $2K/year (American dollars)
My age: 30
Car: 2008 Jetta
Coverage: Full collision with $500 deductible
Driving record: 1 moving violation in last 5 years; no accidents
Location: Washington, DC (low crime zip code)
Average driving: Less than 1000 miles/month

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:33 PM
  #15
AltaHab
Registered User
 
AltaHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sylvan Lake
Posts: 412
vCash: 50
About $425/year but it's fluctuated over the years. I've been with the same carrier for 30 years now with one (my fault) accident and a couple of tickets since I got my license at 16. The most I've ever paid was $660/year up until I turned 26 then my premiums started dropping after that.

I'm going to buy a newer car this summer so I'll see what happens with my premium.

AltaHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
  #16
Sayuri
Registered User
 
Sayuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alberta, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Can you elaborate?
I know people who pay a lot for insurance, that's what I meant. Car insurance I don't have a problem with, its homeowners insurance that ticks me off. My parents had an awful time with their insurance company after losing their home in a fire.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
  #17
SeNaToR PhIL
Registered User
 
SeNaToR PhIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
So I'm about to get an '09 Scion tC. I called my auto insurance company (Allstate) about an hour ago to tell them this. My current car, a '96 Toyota Camry, costs me $450 every 6 months to insure. Once I get my Scion, it goes up to $1090 every 6 months! Because it's considered to be a "sports" car! I'm like, what the hell, I'm almost 25 years old and have never been in an accident in my life (though I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, which was at least 5 years ago)! This really annoyed me, so I'd like to see what all of your rates are for your cars.

And on a side note, I don't get how they can call a tC a sports car. It's got the same engine as a Camry for God's sake. What's taken into consideration when judging whether or not a car gets the "sports" label?
Doesn't matter. They see you as 25 years old and your sports car.

They see mr. King of the universe (no offense), who will go at 1000 mph to show off.

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
  #18
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,042
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
$69 a month.

'97 Nissan Altima, had a DUI in '03 and a few speeding tickets... 25 years old.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
  #19
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,853
vCash: 500
I own a 97' Tercel,a 03' Camry,and a 04 Yukon Denali XL and I pay 1700 bucks a year for full coverage.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
  #20
Unholy Diver
Registered User
 
Unholy Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: in the midnight sea
Posts: 13,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
So I'm about to get an '09 Scion tC. I called my auto insurance company (Allstate) about an hour ago to tell them this. My current car, a '96 Toyota Camry, costs me $450 every 6 months to insure. Once I get my Scion, it goes up to $1090 every 6 months! Because it's considered to be a "sports" car! I'm like, what the hell, I'm almost 25 years old and have never been in an accident in my life (though I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, which was at least 5 years ago)! This really annoyed me, so I'd like to see what all of your rates are for your cars.

And on a side note, I don't get how they can call a tC a sports car. It's got the same engine as a Camry for God's sake. What's taken into consideration when judging whether or not a car gets the "sports" label?
You should check into Erie Insurance, though I'm not 100% sure they service your end of the Commonwealth of PA

as for me I pay about $880 a year for a 2005 Hyundai

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
  #21
Cinerary
The Inexorable
 
Cinerary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
Thanks for the replies. I know I don't have it that bad compared to some others, but this is much more than I'm used to paying for car insurance. I do plan on looking around and doing some research to see if I can find any (significantly) better deals. If not I'll most likely just stick with Allstate, as they have been good to me in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
First thing you need to make sure is you are getting an apples to apples quote. Are you getting the same coverage as your previous car (comp/coll etc)? If you didn't have physical damage coverage before then there is your answer. Physical damage is required by lienholders to protect their interest (the car).

A tC is a small car w/ a bigger cars engine in it. Not that i agree with Allstate but that could be their reasoning and they probably have actuarial evidence to back up their rates. I would suggest going to an independent agent and/or going to other direct write companies like Geico, AIG Direct and State Farm etc. The independent agent will have multiple markets they can shop you to. Although it isn't always the case, insurance isn't much different than most other things. You get what you pay for. So make sure you do a bit of research on a company before you go changing.

Now I don't know a ton about personal insurance but different factors can drive your insurance rate. Where one company your vehicle selection might drive the premium, another might be from that small accident you have. That is where you might find some disparity in pricing from company to company. You might find that Allstate is just expensive in your situation.

I pay $800 every 6 months and I am 27 years old, have one ticket on my record and an accident the company doesn't charge me for. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord (4 cyl.). But I also live in LA which means it will be hard for you to compare what I pay to what you pay.

Do you have other vehicles and or your home (if you have one) with Allstate? Have you had good experience with Allstate? These are other things to consider before you go taking your business elsewhere.
Yes I am getting the same coverage as my previous car (96 Camry). I had actually considered dropping the collision coverage for my last payment, since I had planned on getting a new car in the near future. They did also mention that the rate would most likely drop a few hundred dollars once I turn 25. Also I do not own any other vehicles, nor do I own a home yet (I rent a duplex house). I have had good experience with them as well, and will most likely stay with them, unless I can find a significant price drop from what they'll be charging me. Thanks for the post, very helpful.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:25 PM
  #22
Eazy T
Registered User
 
Eazy T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
$112/mo

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:49 PM
  #23
Chartrand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
77 a month for a 2000 mercury cougar.

Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:56 PM
  #24
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
70$ on a bus pass, save on gas too.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:11 AM
  #25
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik
 
JannikAtTheDisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: a van in vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,746
vCash: 500
15 minutes...oh wait

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.