HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

R.I. police say man had 0.491 blood alcohol level

Old
07-28-2008, 06:29 AM
JCD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Well to be fair, and I think you sound like someone who is speaking as a doctor or nurse or someone in the health field, what you described here is quite rare. Through all the NA/AA/support groups I have been in I have met perhaps 2 or 3 people who have had major withdrawl/DTs (I'm not counting heroin/meth/etc; only booze). Not saying it does not happen, and not saying it is not dangerous as well as life threatening, but to the extent you are describing we are talking people who drink steady from wakeup till passout and more on top of that, safe to say 40/50+oz a day for years (20++) on end, and yet it is still rare.

The 2 times I quit, the first time I was drinking upwords of 15-20oz/day and the second time probably closer to 25+oz/day; both times for years at a time and I quit cold turkey without the problems you mentioned. The most difficult thing for me was learning how to fall asleep again. When drunk you would pass out and that is how I fell asleep. I needed meds (-bromazepam- a valium type downer) to help me sleep and deal with the shakes for the first couple weeks until I learned to sleep again.

I agree that hawksfan, who said he can blow .6 or .5 or .4 or .3 is full of crap and would need more years of steady, heavy drinking then he has even been alive to come close to those numbers. Tolerences like that take 10, 20, 30 or more years to build. Metabolism has nothing to do with it at those levels.
I don't know if rare is quite accurate, but it is the worst case scenario. You it takes years to get to that state.

Point is, when you can only get to those levels of ETOH in your system if are a chronic alcoholic in that situation. For a normal person, or even a functional alcoholic, those levels would simply kill you. You can't develop the level of tolerance neccesary to survive a >0.4 ETOH level without being a chronic alcoholic. That degree of dependency results in physiological changes (it is the only way your body can cope), and will cause severe withdrawl when you attempt to quit.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote