HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Pronger - How much Truth and Reality?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Pronger - How much Truth and Reality?

I heard someone say it was reported on Sportsnet that they're shopping him. Any chance the leafs are looking, and what would an asking price be?

Old
02-19-2004, 09:40 PM
MLSE

Well JFJ has 2 legs and 2 arms, maybe he could live without a couple of them.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:45 PM
GoM

I'd say there's about as much truth as a hopskippin bunny rabbit (which I've seen on my travails in India, btw)

So it's a definate, Pronger will be a Leaf by the end of the week

Old
02-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
I'd say there's about as much truth as a hopskippin bunny rabbit (which I've seen on my travails in India, btw)

So it's a definate, Pronger will be a Leaf by the end of the week
I would go nuts if that happened

Old
02-19-2004, 09:53 PM
sluggo*

I dunno.

Logically, I can see the sense in the Blues shopping him and not wanting to pay his 10 million salary. I can also see Pronger wanting to be on a contender, not a rebuilding team. I can also see the other side of it (hes the franchise, and he likes the city). And neither side is goign to come out publically and say "YES, PRONGER IS ON THE MOVE" before hes traded. Just have to wait and see. Of course I can see the Leafs being one of the frontrunners for him if he is on the block - they can afford his salary, they need him more then other teams (ie - willing to give up more), their GM used to work for the Blues, Pronger's from Ontario etc....

Old
02-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Why don't we talk about Demitra?

Far more likely to be available. He would be a nice acquisition.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:59 PM
dunner97

this rumour was floating around all last weekend .....the blues may not qualify him at 10 million $$$$$.he could sign with a team for say darian hatcher money and the blues get nothing.id say if anyone knows the st .louis situation it,s jonn frerguson andhe'll know eactly what the blues wil want in return .....the leafs im sure could easily free up prongers salary next year actually almost al of it by atttition is u factor roberts reichel and renberg........lets face it .......pronger may have wore out his welcome with st louis ownership and the leafs may be reshaping their team next year ....its not totaly far fetched.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Charge_Seven

It's not entirely out of the realms of possibilities, but if anyone thinks he's coming without Steen/Colaiacovo/Stajan going then you might as well forget it. He'll cost TONS. He'll fetch more than Gretzky did.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Prongs

I would give up tons for him

Old
02-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Rand

99.9999 % fantasy, 0.0001 % reality.
That should suffice for my opinion.

I'd be shocked if Pronger was moved, I'd give up an awful lot for him though.
In one fell swoop we clear up all our defensive worried and we're immediately one of the top contenders for the cup.

02-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
99.9999 % fantasy, 0.0001 % reality.
That should suffice for my opinion.

I'd be shocked if Pronger was moved, I'd give up an awful lot for him though.
In one fell swoop we clear up all our defensive worried and we're immediately one of the top contenders for the cup.
I think your Reality number is still a bit high IMO ....

He isn't going anywhere ..

Blues have had some the worst injury luck this year and are still very much in contention for the playoffs .. and they could be buyers rather than sellers at this point...

Pronger being traded is a Pipe Dream ... Toronto winning the bidding war ... now that is priceless... They would dump dead WEIGHT and Tkazchuk well before they got rid of Pronger ....

Last edited by Mess: 02-20-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old
02-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
i would lvoe to hae weight or tkazchuk on the leafs

Old
02-20-2004, 01:41 AM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
i would lvoe to hae weight or tkazchuk on the leafs
Even so, I'd like to see your line up get younger. I'm not trying to start something.. All I wanted to say was, and is now, that you shouldn't be without youth.

Sorry to butt in. again.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:00 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I think you Reality number is still a bit high IMO ....

He is going anywhere ..

Blues have had some the worst injury luck this year and are still very much in contention for the playoffs .. and they could be buyers rather than sellers at this point...

Pronger being traded is a Pipe Dream ... Toronto winning the bidding war ... now that is priceless... They would dump dead WEIGHT and Tkazchuk well before they got rid of Pronger ....
100% Correct, also the Blues have won 3 in a row now, if they have a good road trip they could easily be buyers again.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
100% Correct, also the Blues have won 3 in a row now, if they have a good road trip they could easily be buyers again.
Just a week ago St Louis had no trouble taking on Eric Weinrich and what ever is left of his 3 Million contract... and then after winning 3 games and sitting 6th in the West ...Suddenly they are trading one of the top Dman in the league, their Captain and Heart and Soul.. Not sure where Fans and Reporters get this stuff from or make it up from because it makes little to no sense...

If St Louis was to dump players ...then Pronger I would predict would be nealy be the last player traded ...So I say wake me up when Weight, Thachuk, Demitra, Mellanby, Drake about a dozen other players are traded in the next 2 weeks and then and even then I would never believe that St. Louis would trade Pronger....

Old
02-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

I think a trade for Pronger is unlikely though not as impossible as others feel. Will St. Louis qualify Prongers @ 10mil?? It's not a given that they will and if they don't intend to it now would be the time to trade for him. I can't think of any player out there that would improve the Leafs cup chances than Pronger. I could see him ending up in TO via free agancy.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
I would go nuts if that happened
You are nuts

Old
02-20-2004, 01:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
It's not entirely out of the realms of possibilities, but if anyone thinks he's coming without Steen/Colaiacovo/Stajan going then you might as well forget it. He'll cost TONS. He'll fetch more than Gretzky did.
Rob Blake might be a better example.

You could almost consider Pronger UFA status with regards to his qualifying offer requirement. No one wants to pay NHL players 10 million a year now, not if they have a Weight and Tkachuk on their payroll.

Thing is the Blues haven't thrown in the towel, but do/can/will they pay Pronger 10 million a year for the next x years? (If they want to run the team like a business which usually means you want to at least pay a dividend or break even.)

Paul Kariya. We saw how the Ducks last year refused to qualify PK and thought they'd have a chance of signing him for less, and he scuttled all their plans by signing for $1 million to play where he wanted.

Has Pronger ever stated he really wants to play in Toronto or elsewhere? If he has then the Blues might consider the Ducks-Kariya scenario very carefully and come to the conclusion something is better than nothing. Maybe they trade his rights to a poor sister and get a conditional pick next year. Maybe they qualify him at 10 million and hope the CBA is kind to a team with 3 players making close to $30 million.

Is Tkachuk UFA this summer? If so maybe re-signing Pronger at 10 isn't an issue if they are letting KT walk.

Is there any concern with the serious wrist injury Chris had last year when his career was in doubt?

I don't see a Pronger to anywhere being reasonable myself.

He is my fantasy offer though:

Kaberle, Hedin, Antropov, Ponikarovsky

for

Pronger and KT

Elite level talent to the Leafs.
Cheap talent and futures to the Blues.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
02-20-2004, 01:42 PM
saa25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
He is my fantasy offer though:

Kaberle, Hedin, Antropov, Ponikarovsky

for

Pronger and KT

Elite level talent to the Leafs.
Cheap talent and futures to the Blues.
Three roster players is too much, even for Pronger in the 2004 NHL- but I hope we get him for something close to that!

Old
02-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Prongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saa25
Three roster players is too much, even for Pronger in the 2004 NHL- but I hope we get him for something close to that!
Two of which wont amount to much, Chris Pronger type players dont grow on trees. I wouldnt think twice about that deal

Old
02-21-2004, 11:08 AM
dunner97

if pronger comes to leafs ..........your dealing is done .......or maybe u try to add goalie depth ......but i cant understand the leaf fans that think your gona get an elite player cheap .....the reality is .u take pronger over gonchar and just maybe u add a bit more ,ithink st louis is watching carefully .they wont win a cup this year anyways

Old
02-21-2004, 12:10 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner97
if pronger comes to leafs ..........your dealing is done .......or maybe u try to add goalie depth ......but i cant understand the leaf fans that think your gona get an elite player cheap .....the reality is .u take pronger over gonchar and just maybe u add a bit more ,ithink st louis is watching carefully .they wont win a cup this year anyways
That was difficult to read, but I'll try to respond.

Pronger won't come to the Leafs. St. Louis would only have a relatively unproven Jackman anchoring their blueline. Not likely. Especially when you have Tkachuk and Weight who aren't earning their salaries as much as Pronger is.

But let's say, for the sake of argument, that he was traded to the Leafs. The return would be a lot less than a lot of people believe. Players making 8 digits a year, regardless of their talent level, will not garner huge returns.

As Ulf said, the return would likely be close to what the Avalanche paid for Blake. Quite possibly yes since that $10m will certainly hurt any team going into the CBA. And considering the only teams that could afford to add him would be the ones already trying to shed payroll, I think that needs to be taken into account.

Closed Thread