HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dagenais' Empty-nettter Speaks Volumes.

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 08:12 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Dagenais' Empty-nettter Speaks Volumes.

Never has Dagenais shown his true colours more than on his empty net goal last night.

As the play broke across center ice, Dagenais had a perfect opportunity to pass the puck to Jason Ward who was quite open at the moment. By passing, Dagenais could have gone a long way to dispelling the notion that he is a selfish, unidimensional player. What's more, the "clan theory" would have taken a beating if he selflessly assisted on a "anglo" goal. Finally, Ward hasn't scored in months--a pass would have been seen as a compassionate gesture to a teammate who could use a helping hand.

Instead, he held the puck and put it in himself. Sure, he scored on the play...he scored a meaningless goal which served only to pump up his stats and display his complete lack of teamsmanship. A pass would have meant much, much more to his team--and ultimately to himself.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Joe Cole

Maybe you are making too much of it....

Old
02-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Snipers are always selfish: get used to it.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Dragon

I would prefer he shoots and scores. I don't trust his passing skill at all

Old
02-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Mike8

Possibly making too much of it, but a valid point remains.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Cariboux

He scores, what's wrong ? If he had miss the net, it's something else but he scores and assure our win. It's not like he miss the net by 6 feet.

By the way, I don't think that Z would have pass the puck to Begin on the same situation

Old
02-20-2004, 08:26 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
I would prefer he shoots and scores. I don't trust his passing skill at all
Excellent point!

Old
02-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Maybe you are making too much of it....
Maybe so...if this was a team at peace with itself.

But in view of the highly-charged situation the Habs currently find themselves, a pass would have been worth a thousand words.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:27 AM
4shelley4

hi

You guys don't get it, he took a look and probably remembered if he tried to pass it the puck would be 10 feet infront of Jason. Some people are taking this to far.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Sam I Am

[QUOTE=Cariboux]He scores, what's wrong ? If he had miss the net, it's something else but he scores and assure our win. It's not like he miss the net by 6 feet...QUOTE]

You're missing the point. That Dagenais ultimately put the puck in only demonstrated what we already know--that he can shoot straight. Now if he could only think as straight...

Ward missing the net would have been a more useful outcome. The habs would have won the game anyway and a blow would have been struck for team unity at a crucial time of the season.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Darz

If a guy can score into an open net why introduce a possiblity to screw things up with a pass.

If Dagenais would of made the pass and either Ward misshandled it, or the pass was behind him, or the puck jmped on its edge or something went wrong people would of been screaming about 'Why did he make that pass, he had a perfect chance to score'.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:46 AM
mcphee

Ya think that this may be a bit of over analysis ?

Old
02-20-2004, 08:55 AM
GilleZ

You didn't see the same thing as me, he could have shoot into the net right when he got the puck, but he waited to evaluate the chance of seeing the puck in the back of the net. It was not a 2 on 0 it was a 2 on 1 with one guy coming back on Ward, so he did what was the best thing for the team, and its put it in the back of the net. How many times we missed the net when the goaler was pull and got scored right after that?

Good job by Dagenais. He must be shaked regularly, but he seams to understand when he get bench.

Yo Habs Yo!

Old
02-20-2004, 08:55 AM
4shelley4

hi

This topic is just getting annoying. He scored, be happy. We won, be happy. We got 4 goals, be happy. Rangers bet the Isles, be happy. Let's not get on Dags back for having a 2 goal game.

Old
02-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Agalloch

Seriously I think Ward and they other players don't care if he passed or not. The most important thing is the win... not personnal statistics. If Dagenais likes his statistics more than the team, I don't know why he is in the NHL. Dagenais knew he was going to score so he did for the assurance goal.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Go Habs Go

Enough with this whole division within the team talk, they are the Habs not the Yakuza. Dagenais did the right thing, Ward wasn't free from coverage so he shot it himself. If they had intercepted the pass, turned the other way and tied it, people would be bashing Dagenais right now.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:03 AM
6 String Benny

Habs won.The team played great as a unit.That is my take on the game.Stay positive.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:07 AM
PrairieHabber

While I would have loved to see Ward get the goal, if you take a closer look at the play you will see Dagenais look up for a possible pass. The d-men had their sticks on their ice very quickly to take away the pass. At that point Dagenais turned his attention to the open net, which in the end was the right play.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:09 AM
BLONG7

The shot he took went in... if he had missed then maybe all this BS woulda been warranted. No one on the Habs cares, they are glad to get the 2 points!

Old
02-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Habber

I also thought that Dags should have made the pass, and I'll bet 90% of NHL'ers would make that pass over instead of taking a shot, but it's not a big deal.

I thought it did show Dags' selfish side, but goalscorers need to have that selfish edge sometimes. To suggest that it had anything to do with Ward being anglo or anything like that is way off base.

Old
02-20-2004, 09:58 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
While I would have loved to see Ward get the goal, if you take a closer look at the play you will see Dagenais look up for a possible pass. The d-men had their sticks on their ice very quickly to take away the pass. At that point Dagenais turned his attention to the open net, which in the end was the right play.
That's exactly what I saw too......he looked for the pass first. Typical type of Montreal Fan that chooses to look for a negative instead of the obvious possitive. Some Montreal fans are not fans, just sh#*t disturbers.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:02 AM
BigM1ke

This is getting stupid. We all saw that Dagenais made a quick look over to Ward to see if he had good chance of realizing that pass and he decided it was too risky.. BID DEAL!!! Dagenais was benched lately because he wasn't scoring.. and he scored 2 yesterday. I think he made his point in a certain way.

Have you noticed Koivu's reaction when Dagenais scored the empty netter?? He seemed PISSED OFF!! I couldn't believe it!! RDS was showing all players on the bench and Koivu wasn't celebrating at all and he really looked mad!! Maybe I'll start believing this conspiray

Old
02-20-2004, 10:06 AM
tinyzombies

[QUOTE=Sam I Am]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboux
He scores, what's wrong ? If he had miss the net, it's something else but he scores and assure our win. It's not like he miss the net by 6 feet...QUOTE]

You're missing the point. That Dagenais ultimately put the puck in only demonstrated what we already know--that he can shoot straight. Now if he could only think as straight...

Ward missing the net would have been a more useful outcome. The habs would have won the game anyway and a blow would have been struck for team unity at a crucial time of the season.
I was upset at first too, but I rewound the TIVO a couple times and the Calgary player backchecked hard on the play and closed the lane. He only had a split second to pass it to Ward, but with the Calgary player closing, and Ward slowing a bit at the blueline, all that was left was that Dags had to gain the zone. At that point, Ward was covered and all that was left was a gaping net.

I saw that they were kidding Dags about it on the bench and Ward was laughing too.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:10 AM
markov`

Come on. He saw Ward coming, but he was not open. A defender was covering Ward. But anyway, it's only a empty-netter goal. I'm sure Ward don't give a ***** about it.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboux
He scores, what's wrong ? If he had miss the net, it's something else but he scores and assure our win. It's not like he miss the net by 6 feet.

By the way, I don't think that Z would have pass the puck to Begin on the same situation
hmmm i saw him pass the puck in the same situation in the past .

Closed Thread