HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey & "Hangovers"

Old
07-24-2008, 04:46 AM
hipcheck

vCash: 500
Hockey & "Hangovers"

Hey All,--

I've got a two part question regarding "over doing it" with alcohol.

First lets say you had a few too many the night before... do you guys think playing pick-up hockey for 90 minutes helps or hurts the hangover? I've always prided myself on getting up and going to the rink Sunday Morning no matter how hungover I am. I feel like a good skate & sweat is the best way to regroup.

Second, do you guys have any more traditional handover remedies? For me, 2 asprin and a large class of ice cold chocolate milk has always seemed to help. I've heard of the "hair of the dog that bit you" theory... but I'm getting alittle too old for that.

Please spare me the drinking is bad & drinking & driving responses. I want to talk with players that actually party hard, not the goody 2 shoes crowd. I'm totally & completely aware of all the dangers....

Let's face it Hockey & BEER is a match made in Heaven!!! I always go out drinking with my teammates after the games, it is expected that you go out to the bar as much as actually playing the game (very social team).

THANKS!!!

Last edited by hipcheck: 07-25-2008 at 12:05 AM.
hipcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Michael Scofield

don't have anything acidic, i learned my lesson when i had a horrible hangover and drank orange juice before practise one Saturday morning.

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 05:17 AM
TorFC-TML*

Chocolate milk the morning after a hangover?

Ive always just found tons of water and sport drinks are great in the morning and to be honest, ive always found a joint to be as good as hangover cures get. It completely settles down your gut and eases the headache.

And I find exercise the day after drinking is the best thing you can do.

I say 'day' though because I simply cant wake myself up to exercise.

The most ive done is gotten up at about 10 am and played 18 holes. The sun is great for hangovers too.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Gatorade.

It replaces the elctrolytes you lose while drinking.

07-24-2008, 07:42 AM
FissionFire

I have a ton of fruit that I blend together and drink, which works wonders. Toss a banana, half an apple, half a peach, a couple strawberries, and a handful of blueberries into the blender with about a cup of water and you'll be feeling better in no time.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Worst is when you get sick playing.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:11 AM
ShowmeHawks

I second the gatorade and tall glass of water. Stay away from the acidic stuff, like was mentioned before. And if it is at all possible, take a nap. Nothing cures a hangover like sleep.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Gino 14

Have a glass of water before you crash. The alcohol dehydrates and by having water before you go to bed, you are at least starting to replace the fluids you lose by drinking. Water and gatorade in the morning is going to further replenish those fluid levels.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
rk50

Hungover? You're supposed to play wasted! My college intramural league used to pay on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Needless to say we never made it to a Thursday nighter sober. We were really good though. Made it to the championship but we were so drunk we lost when the other team only had 3 skaters! I fell over during the opening faceoff. Oh good times...

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Epatt001

two bottles of water and 2 aspirin before you go to bed the night before usually makes you feel pretty solid. Also the next day, lots of fruit, a multi-vitamin, and a ton of water.

a great poo does wonders for my hangovers usually.

Epatt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
bru998

become friends with a paramedic and have him spike a line for you,1 or 2 10cc bags of sodium chloride is freekin awsome.

bru998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
A good bowl of ice cream. No joke. Probably the same deal as the chocolate milk stated already.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Heat McManus

Gatorade, and stop at the drug store and pick up some sublingual B12 pills. Good **** right there

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
mbeam

I had a tournament this weekend that I was incredibly hung over and the first game I played was one of my better ones in a while, so i say drink up! The second one didnt go as well since I couldnt keep food down to replenish myself, but the best answer is gatorade. Make sure youre drinking gatorade instead of water on the ice, it helped me a lot in that situation.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Dave Karp

Gatorade and a pre-game poop. The pre-gamer is essential if you drank too much beer.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bru998 View Post
become friends with a paramedic and have him spike a line for you,1 or 2 10cc bags of sodium chloride is freekin awsome.
This couldn't b more true. I did this after Mardi Gras last year and felt like a million bucks. For those who don't have the hook up, I find a couple of Revive Vitamin Waters work great

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Canadian Chris

I'm a big fan of hair of the dog....as tough as it can be to choke down, I find it works wonders...or gets me back on the slippery slope to another hangover...but that's usually a day away so I don't think that far ahead.

If not hair of the dog, a good Ceasar works wonders. I don't know why, but after partying hard on various long weekends over the past 10yrs I've always found starting the day off with a Ceaser is an amazing way to beat the hangover.

Other then that, I agree - some water a tylenol before bed and then replenish fruits and waters the next day in high amounts.

As far as playing hungover, my birthday is in January, and we always seem to have a game the day after, in which case I'm usually dead all day, even when I get the rink I still feel like poop....but a good skate and I'm feeling amazingly revitalized

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Don't drink cheap booze.

You'll feel alot different in the morning if you have 8 shots of the 80 dollar bottle of vodka vs the 8 dollar bottle of vodka.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
hipcheck

Thank You for all the great responses!!! I was very worried that I would get a ton of the "Drinking-is-Bad" Crowd, ridiculing me! You guys are the absolute Best!!! I love hearing about all of your "Hangover" Remedies.

Hockey & BEER go hand-in-Hand, thanks for being so cool, with all the Free Advice!

hipcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck View Post
Thank You for all the great responses!!! I was very worried that I would get a ton of the "Drinking-is-Bad" Crowd, ridiculing me! You guys are the absolute Best!!! I love hearing about all of your "Hangover" Remedies.

Hockey & BEER go hand-in-Hand, thanks for being so cool, with all the Free Advice!
Drinking is bad for you. If you're gonna be dumb enough to go out and tie one on, you might as well know how to cure what ills you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 04:06 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Gatorade.

It replaces the elctrolytes you lose while drinking.
And gives you a boatload of water on top of it. I've found that a lot of hangovers are caused simply by dehydration. Simply downing a bottle of water prior to drunkenly staggering to your bed and passing out does a lot of help.

As for hockey WHILE hung over, since the dehydration part I mentioned, if you drink some water before you play and get food in your stomach, if you can play through whatever pain, then go for it. Otherwise, especially if you don't drink any water from time of consuming alcohol to the time you play, I wouldn't recommend it, but expect to burn some fat.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 04:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Drinking is bad for you. If you're gonna be dumb enough to go out and tie one on, you might as well know how to cure what ills you.
That pretty much sums up EVERYTHING about alcohol. I know a lot of people will use the "</thread>" comment, but this one truly deserves it.

</thread>

Old
07-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Homerocks*

Forget the gatorade, water, fruit, etc.

Drink another beer then go skate. If you like to party as you expressed, this is how you should roll.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:52 AM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Don't drink cheap booze.

You'll feel alot different in the morning if you have 8 shots of the 80 dollar bottle of vodka vs the 8 dollar bottle of vodka.
On this note:

If you buy a cheap bottle of vodka (ie smirnoff-esque) and run it through a carbon filter (ie brita filter) it will clear out some of the non-essentials leave you with a more pure drink. It will turn that 20$ bottle into a 50$ bottle in no time. I suggest you give it a shot.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
On this note:

If you buy a cheap bottle of vodka (ie smirnoff-esque) and run it through a carbon filter (ie brita filter) it will clear out some of the non-essentials leave you with a more pure drink. It will turn that 20$ bottle into a 50$ bottle in no time. I suggest you give it a shot.
I've had friends try it in college. They had to run it through a couple times...like 5. They also kept going through brita filters. In the end, a $20 bottle turned into a $40 bottle. By that point, they said it's a good idea but if they're going to do that they're just going to buy the expensive bottle rather than filter the cheap stuff. It didn't taste much better, either, from what they told me.