HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: New York Giants and Jets Thread

Old
07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
See above, you want to put a wager, avatar or cash, on which team's season is better?
I'll do avatar

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
sattar18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Jets will make the playoffs this year.

Yes, I'm serious, we are on a strict schedule of on and off seasons and on means making the playoffs and losing before the conference championship and off means top 10 draft pick. And since Vernon Gholston is in green, it's playoff time lol.

I'm rooting for the Giants to make it too, even if it makes me less of a Jets fan. I'm grateful that someone finally beat Boston and since it was New York I'm obligated to root for them
one of the biggest things i hate with the jets were so ****ing inconsistent

sattar18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
It's funny, the blowhard in question was Skip something and Steven A Smith almost had a heart attack when he suggested that the Jets were a QB away.
i honestly belive that they are, add farve and they are a 12-4 team. With chad they are 9-7 or 10-6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Mets have won in my lifetime, and got to the world series not too long ago.

Jets are on another level.
the jets are the leafs of the nhl

Also, it looks like gholsten has signed so no hold out like last year with revis.

Old
07-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
i honestly belive that they are, add farve and they are a 12-4 team. With chad they are 9-7 or 10-6.
I agree 100%.

Old
07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I agree 100%.
now if only we can get farve, and brady breaks his leg in an "accident"

Old
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

i go to college in worcester, MA, and my roommate was a turd whose best friends were his posters of the red sox and the patriots

winning the bowl was soooo epic what with being in the heart of pats country, i wore my eli jersey for a week

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I'll do avatar
Avatar bet it is that the Jets will have a better regular season W-L record than the Giants. If I lose, you get to pick my avatar for the entire NFL post-season, and if you lose I get to pick yours. Deal?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Avatar bet it is that the Jets will have a better regular season W-L record than the Giants. If I lose, you get to pick my avatar for the entire NFL post-season, and if you lose I get to pick yours. Deal?
Deal. May the best team win.

Old
07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Forechecker

May the best team win.

Old
07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
NJrocket24

Jets defense looks like its shaping up to be NASTY.

Finally got the right personnel in place to have a great defense. It'll be so refreshing to not see every POS back in the NFL get 3.5 YPC every play.

This solid support will free up Rhodes to ball hawk and Revis too.

That said, I am a Lifelong jets fan. I am mentally prepared for the Epic collapse, its part of my blood.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Can I get in on this? No way the Jets win more than 6 games this year. Still no QB, no more than 6 wins. Even though they are in an easier division, even though they have a way easier schedule, even though nobody expects anything out of them. They suck. Giants should make the playoffs atleast.

And what is an avatar bet?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
Jets defense looks like its shaping up to be NASTY.

Finally got the right personnel in place to have a great defense. It'll be so refreshing to not see every POS back in the NFL get 3.5 YPC every play.

This solid support will free up Rhodes to ball hawk and Revis too.

That said, I am a Lifelong jets fan. I am mentally prepared for the Epic collapse, its part of my blood.
its not like anything is expected of the jets this year. many people think they will be drafting in the top 5 again.

But back to the defense, The front 7 looks great and everyone knows about revis and rhodes but im really worried about the other corner and safety spot.

Justin Miller and Abram Elam

Old
07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I can't wait for September 4th. I'm really looking forward to this season for the Giants because, as amazingly as it sounds, I think they are an underdog coming into this season. How often do you hear that?

We lost Mitchell and Wilson early on, then Strahan retired and his void will no doubt be hard to replace. Shockey too will be missed although I support the trade.

With the Cowboys adding Pacman and Zach Thomas, the Redskins adding Jason Taylor and the Eagles adding Asante Samuel, I think alot of people are forgetting that the Giants, you know, completed the greatest playoff run in NFL history. And that's fine with me. That's the way it was last year.

A repeat will be very tough, obviously, but this team is going to work their ass off all season and there's still alot of talent here. I'm pumped.

As for the Jets, despite being a diehard Giants fan my entire life, I've never had anything against the Jets and I always like to see them do well as long as it's not at the expense of the Giants. Plus I loathe the Patriots, so it's nice when they beat them once every 5 years or so. They've made alot of changes, but it starts and ends with the quarterback situation. It's going to be an interesting preseason to watch.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Can I get in on this? No way the Jets win more than 6 games this year. Still no QB, no more than 6 wins. Even though they are in an easier division, even though they have a way easier schedule, even though nobody expects anything out of them. They suck. Giants should make the playoffs atleast.

And what is an avatar bet?
When the winner gets to chose the loser's avatar (e.g. repalce my Grachev with a Jets logo or something)

Old
07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
still cant believe they let go of Vilma... ***?

Gonna have to pull for the Saints if they get two more NY football players.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Ok I'm a Giants fan, but I'm so pissed they traded Shockey and then washed themselves and the media of any wrong doing that I don't want to talk about them. I'll still be a fan but I refuse to talk about them because it just makes me sick. And I don't hate the Jets and want them to do well and dream of a subway Super-Bowl someday.

I wanna talk about the Jets from an unbiased perspective. I mean I really have to say the Jets problems come from the coach. I think he overachieved the first year and then everyone started labeling him a Bill Bellichick when he isn't even fit to lick his hoodies. I mean this guy has gotten rid of some of the Jets most talented players like Pete Kendall or Jonathan Vilma or Erik Coleman for instance and has not replaced them. Not only that they bring and OVERPAY for Calvin Pace, a career BUST at DE for Arizona who had to be placed at linebacker where he did OK. And you pay him money to be your pass rusher. So you need passrushers? Fine I'll give you that, and with Gholston it will at least be better than last year where there was none. But then you get Kris Jenkins and hes a good player... But he gets injured every year and he is more of a tree techinique guy and you are going to put him at nosetackle? What the hell!!! Total head scratcher... And you had Hank Poteat starting at cb for you and you wondered whats wrong?

And then theres the offense. This stupid Gm of theirs trades Peter Kendall, one of the best guards in the league over a miserable 1m dollars and his offensive line completely fell apart last year and paided dearly for it. Fortunately they brought in Faneca, and Woody, who is almost done, but they will help a ton. Especially Faneca, in my opinion the best guard in the NFL, better than Hutchinson. But the fact remains the Jets lack talent on offense. They have Thomas Jones at rb and he's good. Coles and Cotchery are good. But they have nothing else. And a QB who is brilliant but can't throw it hard enough or deep enough, therefore negative the explosiveness that every offense needs and become predictable and then you have a young guy who is a question mark and in my opinion should unquestionably start because he is in his 3rd year and you need to find out what you have NOW. Having said this I think the Jets QB of the future is not on the Roster. Oh and the new TE will be a tremendous help to their style of offense. And Washington is an ace in the hole. But I agree with what something someone said earlier in the thread. The Jets have become unwatchable. And it's happened under Mangini.

The biggest problem is Mangini wants to play offense without the right personnel for his system and does the same for the defense, I mean especially them.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
I mean this guy has gotten rid of some of the Jets most talented players like Pete Kendall or Jonathan Vilma or Erik Coleman for instance and has not replaced them.
Stop right there. Kendell was boneheaded but they replaced him w/ person who is better w/ Faneca.

Vilma was ill suited for the 3-4 defense, and we upgraded him w/ David Harris who had 123 tackles i believe in a little over half a season. he will be a monster.

Coleman - he really wasn't anything special. in fact he lost his job b/c he wasn't playing well at all. We do need a starting FS though.

Quote:
Not only that they bring and OVERPAY for Calvin Pace, a career BUST at DE for Arizona who had to be placed at linebacker where he did OK. And you pay him money to be your pass rusher. So you need passrushers?
And he isn't playing DE for the jets. He is playing a hybrid LB/DE. the same thing that he excelled at last year.

Quote:
Fine I'll give you that, and with Gholston it will at least be better than last year where there was none. But then you get Kris Jenkins and hes a good player... But he gets injured every year and he is more of a tree techinique guy and you are going to put him at nosetackle?
he was injured every year b/c he came in out of shape and overweight everyyear. he dropped 30 lbs in the offseason so this doesn't happen. I happen to think that he is going to be the monster we need him to be this year. he is actually a really good fit for a 3-4 defense. Big, strong, fast and can take on 2 blockers at once allowing Harris to blitz.

Quote:
What the hell!!! Total head scratcher... And you had Hank Poteat starting at cb for you and you wondered whats wrong?
yeah... that was just bad. But Miller is back this year, and lowry is supposed to be a ball hawk. we also just signed Ahmad Carrol who was a first round pick in 04 by the Pack. I believe he was waived by both the pack and jaguars b/c of off the field issues. I am intrigued by him.

Quote:
But the fact remains the Jets lack talent on offense. They have Thomas Jones at rb and he's good. Coles and Cotchery are good. But they have nothing else.
They don't lack talent. they lack a deep threat that's it. Coles-Cotchery is a great 1-2 combo. Jones is steady, Washington is a great change of pace back. Keller and Baker (if there) will make for a real real solid TE combo.

Quote:
And a QB who is brilliant but can't throw it hard enough or deep enough, therefore negative the explosiveness that every offense needs and become predictable and then you have a young guy who is a question mark and in my opinion should unquestionably start because he is in his 3rd year and you need to find out what you have NOW. Having said this I think the Jets QB of the future is not on the Roster.
Pennington will not be the starter this year unless Clemens is absolutely atrocious in the pre-season. Fact is nobody knows what they have in Clemens. you can't judge by last years performance b/c we had no running game and maybe the worst OL in football. Tom Brady wouldn't have fared well w/ our team last year. He could actually become a good QB. now that we should have a running game, and a solid OL he will have much more time to sit in the pocket and make the throws which he hopefully completes. Plus if that OL can control games it will give the defense more time off, making them that much better b/c they are rested, which was another huge problem last year as by the end of games the defense was always gassed from being on the field way to much.

Quote:
The Jets have become unwatchable. And it's happened under Mangini.
The biggest problem is Mangini wants to play offense without the right personnel for his system and does the same for the defense, I mean especially them.
first of all 1 bad season and the Jets are unwatchable... gimme a break.

second.... Mangini didn't have the right personnel b/c we were switching styles (sorta like the Rangers) but now he is getting in his players and drafting, and signing players to fit his defense and offense. It takes a little time to get the team you want, but I expect this team to finish about 8-8 to 9-7 this year.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 05:28 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Ok I'm a Giants fan, but I'm so pissed they traded Shockey and then washed themselves and the media of any wrong doing that I don't want to talk about them. I'll still be a fan but I refuse to talk about them because it just makes me sick. And I don't hate the Jets and want them to do well and dream of a subway Super-Bowl someday.

I wanna talk about the Jets from an unbiased perspective. I mean I really have to say the Jets problems come from the coach. I think he overachieved the first year and then everyone started labeling him a Bill Bellichick when he isn't even fit to lick his hoodies. I mean this guy has gotten rid of some of the Jets most talented players like Pete Kendall or Jonathan Vilma or Erik Coleman for instance and has not replaced them. Not only that they bring and OVERPAY for Calvin Pace, a career BUST at DE for Arizona who had to be placed at linebacker where he did OK. And you pay him money to be your pass rusher. So you need passrushers? Fine I'll give you that, and with Gholston it will at least be better than last year where there was none. But then you get Kris Jenkins and hes a good player... But he gets injured every year and he is more of a tree techinique guy and you are going to put him at nosetackle? What the hell!!! Total head scratcher... And you had Hank Poteat starting at cb for you and you wondered whats wrong?

And then theres the offense. This stupid Gm of theirs trades Peter Kendall, one of the best guards in the league over a miserable 1m dollars and his offensive line completely fell apart last year and paided dearly for it. Fortunately they brought in Faneca, and Woody, who is almost done, but they will help a ton. Especially Faneca, in my opinion the best guard in the NFL, better than Hutchinson. But the fact remains the Jets lack talent on offense. They have Thomas Jones at rb and he's good. Coles and Cotchery are good. But they have nothing else. And a QB who is brilliant but can't throw it hard enough or deep enough, therefore negative the explosiveness that every offense needs and become predictable and then you have a young guy who is a question mark and in my opinion should unquestionably start because he is in his 3rd year and you need to find out what you have NOW. Having said this I think the Jets QB of the future is not on the Roster. Oh and the new TE will be a tremendous help to their style of offense. And Washington is an ace in the hole. But I agree with what something someone said earlier in the thread. The Jets have become unwatchable. And it's happened under Mangini.

harris is a beast, and he will be a top 10 LB within the next 3 years.

Old
07-25-2008, 05:32 PM
ap215

I'm for Big Blue and i hope we go for 2 in a row this year. Go G-Men.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Favre a Jet?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 08:41 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Its tough for me to watch Jets games any more. They get more and more painful each year.
The Jets are literally the most boring team to watch in all of professional sports. I don't dislike them as a team, they're just really boring.

(I'm a Giants fan)

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Forechecker

Speaking as a football fan, Farve in NY would be AMAZING. I think it sucks what he's done to the Pack and the Pack faithful, but as I said above, he's exactly what the Jets need. Hell, he might even help the Giants by giving the NY media something else to talk about.

Old
07-25-2008, 09:44 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
The Jets are literally the most boring team to watch in all of professional sports. I don't dislike them as a team, they're just really boring.

(I'm a Giants fan)
chad pennington football, dink and dunk all the way down the field until you get into the red zone and then run a play short of the first down and kick a FG

Old
07-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Hey guys, Giants fan here.

So what is everyones intake on trading Shockey? I can't say I didn't see it coming. He brings great energy to the team, I loved him but it was time all his **** stopped. I feel that even though he was loved and his energy really helped, it is for the best. I feel it is best for Eli Manning. Shockey didn't really like to block, he wanted the ball a whole lot more. And Whenever Eli felt the pressure to just gun it to the middle to him it would be picked off, that lead to a hand full of interceptions for him. Boss has shown he can be a productive tight end and Eli looked really comfortable in the pocket.

I will miss Strahan, he was just great all around. Great leader, one of the best all time defensive ends ever. But I am also very excited to see Justin Tuck start all 16 games this year. He reminds me of Strahan, very aggressive. I expect a lot from our defensive front as always. We could use the extra draft picks, the Giants have been strong drafting for the last few years. The 2007 draft, our while draft class contributed something last season, how about that? Really something great. I think the Giants will at least make the post season as a wildcard team. Eli Manning has his best career year.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 35000
Favre to Jets

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote