HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dandenault's update

Old
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
BTW, forget the Kings. They have Preissing, Greene and Harrold as righty's on defence. Lombardi wants a lefty shot apparently.
There's still possibilities that teams think he could be a good depth player up front. I don't see it, but teams noticed that he didn't play D all year last year...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
MTL-rules

No team wants to trade for Dandy, so they're waiting, if Sundin signs Gainey will have to clear cap space and probably by waiving him and sending him to Hamilton, if nobody claims him.

If Sundin doesn't choose Mtl, he'll be kept as the 7th d-men and 13th forward, he won't the bought out, first because they can't and second, he probably doesn't want his salry eating up the cap space next year...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
BigTimer*

He signed a contract and he has to show up until we tell him otherwise.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Dandenault should be bought out regardless. He is taking up a roster spot. I would rather see the Habs keep Brisebois as our 7th defencemen or use a rookie as our 13th forward....Dandenault isn't a good enough player and he doesn't want to be used in that kind of role, so put him on waivers and see if someone picks him up or buy him out.

He was good last year for just putting up with his situation and not complaining all the time about it, the least we could do is give the guy a fresh start somewhere else.
1) We can't buy him out now... we are past the buyout period. Bruins only got the chance to buy out Murray cause Wideman was scheduled for arbitration, we don't have anyone who was scheduled for arbitration.
2) Buyout would count on Next years cap... we need all the capspace we can get in 09-10.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Good to know he has trade value.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM
SOLR

Dandenault is at least a 7th rounder somewhere, hes not terribly expensive and he brings some depth.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:14 AM
pc_md

Quote:
Good to know he has trade value.
Actually, even if this is rumour true, it doesn't mean he has a trade value. Maybe the other player involved had a high value and Dandenault had a neutral or even a negative value (maybe the Habs just wanted to get rid of him...)

Quote:
1- Dandenault was almost dealt at the trade deadline. He was told to get his things together that he was going to the NY Rangers with another guy from our side
I don't think Bob Gainey would tell a guy to get his things together before a trade is officially announced...

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Actually, even if this is rumour true, it doesn't mean he has a trade value. Maybe the other player involved had a high value and Dandenault had a neutral or even a negative value (maybe the Habs just wanted to get rid of him...)
Dandenault's value might be higher come the trade dealine. You're looking for some depth, you might know you don't have anybody in your system in case something happens, you end up doing a Backman for a 4th rounder. Right now, every GM might think they have some cheaper rookies who could do the job Dandenault's doing.

But in a world where some teams needs to upgrade their salary cap to meet the cap floor, Dandenault is interesting. Still, pretty sure Gainey made some calls, at least I hope he did to those teams.

Old
07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
keemo905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
There was definately a deal in place, for a guy that was told to get his things together, seemed to me that it was real close. But again, don't know who decided not to go with it.

I went to see who the Rangers traded at the deadline last year and here are the moves they made:

- Acquired Christian Backman from St-Louis for a 4th round pick

- Acquired Sjostrom, Leneveu and Gratton from Phoenix for Hossa and Montoya

I would be surprised that the last trade had any incidence on not getting Dandenault, but it's possible that getting Backman made the Rangers not wanting Dandenault anymore. They might have had the idea of getting Dandenault for their back end but decided to go for a guy who actually played there all year.....

Just guessing here...

Or Gainey stopped talking when Sather changed his mind and was finally offering Hossa....
Or he wanted Hossa to play with his brother and when we did not get Marian Hossa the deal fell apart.

keemo905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Charon

Dandenault is a utility player and he can bring depth to both forward and defence. He's not worth a good prospect, but he's probably worth a 6th or 7th rounder.

Can someone confirm that if Sundin signs with us, then we'll have to reduce out roster by one since we'll be over the roster limit?

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:15 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
tbl: 6 mil space
stl: 9 mil space
pho: 18 mil space
nyi: 15 mil space
lak: 28 mil space (wow)
chi: -2 mil space

lol as soon as i saw chicago i knew u didn't know what u were talking about here wit cap space so i researched a bit... tbl, stl, and chi wouldn't waste their cap space on dandenault maybe the others would but not those three
If we don't get Sundin I wouldn't mind seeing Dandenault being included in a modest package for Havlat. It would solve Chicago's cap problem and give us a player with the same offensive potential* that Sundin would have given us otherwise.

* I realize that he could spend as much time in clinic and rehab as on the ice. But in the case of a long term injury (e.g. shoulder) his salary wouldn't count against the cap so it's a gamble worth taking.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Lone Rogue

Dandy will find a home, no doubt about that. It just won't be in Montreal.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
I doubt any Sundin deal is being delayed because of friggin Dandeneault.

That's ridiculous, the easy thing to do is put him on waivers and see if anyone bites, if not send him to Hamilton, don't buy him out, just send him there and bite bullett on the salary.

Worse case he's first call up if an injury happens.

It's the other way around. Deciding what to do with Dandenault probably depends on whether Sundin signs with the Habs. If Sundin signs, I think Gainey would put Dandenault on waivers and if Dandenault isn't claimed he'd ship him to Hamilton so that his salary doesn't count against the cap. If Sundin doesn't sign, Gainey might carry Dandenault long enough to find a trading partner even if it brings only a low draft choice in return.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Jakomyte

Dandenault+ for Bouwmeester...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Jigger77

Some guy in the comments on hockeybuzz claims Dandenault was traded to the Kings.

Take it for what it's worth. Just hearsay right now....p 42 of the comments.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...=45117&page=42

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Some guy in the comments on hockeybuzz claims Dandenault was traded to the Kings.

Take it for what it's worth. Just hearsay right now....p 42 of the comments.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...=45117&page=42
That guy took that rumor from that other crappy board we've talked about, board that was also mentioning that Gervais was about to be a Hab, that Peca was just dealt to the Sens, that Sundin is coming.....Hockeybuzz and hockeybums are quite related....They feed out of each other.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
That guy took that rumor from that other crappy board we've talked about, board that was also mentioning that Gervais was about to be a Hab, that Peca was just dealt to the Sens, that Sundin is coming.....Hockeybuzz and hockeybums are quite related....They feed out of each other.
I figured it sounded sketchy at best.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Dandenault's value might be higher come the trade dealine.
It might be... or it might not. All I was saying is that even if this rumour is true, we can't conclude that this player has any trade value until we know that the two other players in the equation...

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
From CKAC, no link heard it on the radio this morning from Michel Langevin host of the show.

1- Dandenault was almost dealt at the trade deadline. He was told to get his things together that he was going to the NY Rangers with another guy from our side, no mention who it was. No mention as to what we were getting as well. Don't know why it didn't finally happen.

2- Dandenault spoke to Gainey last week. Gainey told him that he couldn't tell him anything as far as his future with us 'cause he was waiting for an answer from Sundin first.

So obviously, Sundin's in, Dandenault's out, that was obvious. The scary part is that if it's directly related....here's another reason to wish we would get Sundin, 'cause if we don't, chances are we'll keep Dandenault....

I just don't get this. Dandenault is CLEARLY unhappy about his situation and we'll keep a guy like this around. Sure he could do the job as a spare forward or #7 d-man but that's not the question. The guy DOESN'T want to do it. He already stated in the off-season that he doesn't want to relive what had happened last year. Chances are, it will be worst....
bahhhh Ranger fans everywhere which it was Dandeneault brought in to help the D and not Backman who F'd so many plays up vs the Pens and others

oh well that deal turned into Danny Fritche so its all good

Wonder what the deal was though, meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
If we don't get Sundin I wouldn't mind seeing Dandenault being included in a modest package for Havlat. It would solve Chicago's cap problem and give us a player with the same offensive potential* that Sundin would have given us otherwise.

* I realize that he could spend as much time in clinic and rehab as on the ice. But in the case of a long term injury (e.g. shoulder) his salary wouldn't count against the cap so it's a gamble worth taking.
I think Chicago would rather just move Khabibulin and then they have no worries with the cap

Havlat is great UF healthy

on the other hand Chicago could use some more depth forwards

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-25-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post

Tallon's been on record saying that he's not interested in dealing Havlat unless it's for similar talent. It doesn't make any sense to just dump him for scraps, even if he's injured a lot.

07-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Tallon's been on record saying that he's not interested in dealing Havlat unless it's for similar talent. It doesn't make any sense to just dump him for scraps, even if he's injured a lot.
I agree, no way that Chicago will trade Havlat for nothing. I'd say we'd be looking for a package that looks like: Dandy, S. Kost and a pick for Havlat. Because IF Havlat ever has a full season he'd have a chance at the Rocket Richard. He's an amazing goal scorer just can't stay healthy.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
what, Dandy's still here??

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's likely the other way around.

The future of Dandenault depends on a Sundin signing. If Sundin signs, he is gone for sure. If Sundin doesn't sign, then it's possible he sticks around as a depth player I would imagine.

BTW, forget the Kings. They have Preissing, Greene and Harrold as righty's on defence. Lombardi wants a lefty shot apparently.
Maybe the Sundin signing depends on the futur of Dandeneault ; Maybe Sundin doesn't want to sign with the Habs , because Dandeneault sucks too much and he asks Gainey to trade him before inking ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
1) We can't buy him out now... we are past the buyout period. Bruins only got the chance to buy out Murray cause Wideman was scheduled for arbitration, we don't have anyone who was scheduled for arbitration.
2) Buyout would count on Next years cap... we need all the capspace we can get in 09-10.
Please explain. What's the effect of having a player in arbitration on buyouts? The connection isn't obvious.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Please explain. What's the effect of having a player in arbitration on buyouts? The connection isn't obvious.
If a guy in arbitration gets way more than you were expecting the team has a few options.

1) Walk away fromt the arbitration award, making the player UFA... See JP Dumont in Buffalo... Cory Stillman in Tampa. Can only be done by the team twice in a three year period.
2) Buy other players out so that you can reduce your team salary so it is back in line with the salary cap.

If there wasn't option 2, then you are forced to choose to walk away from the arbitrators ruler.... with option 2 you can choose to keep him and get rid of someone else.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote