HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney's Style

Old
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
Renney's Style

First we have Renney's demeanor: calm, reserved, passive, lacking intensity, not risk taking....

Is it just me or does it seem this is the same way the Rangers are playing and it's hurting them. They're very reserved and letting other teams bring the game to them rather than cranking up the intensity and bringing it the other way around. There are a couple guys, Dubnisky, Voros, Prucha when he played, Callahan, maybe Gomez recently, who seem to be bringing the intensity every game, everyone else seems content with making sure the defensive zone is covered and clogging the neutral zone. Seems like their playing too laid back.

I'd almost like to see Renney get a little fired up and start lighting some fires under the guys on this team, especially those making the big bucks and not producing. 10 games into the season the PP should be clicking, your captain should be leading on the ice, and your big free agent signings should be showing their value, not just chipping in a shabby rebound.

Yell at a ref for a bad call like a lame bench minor late in the game or a missed call like cross-checking Prucha to the ice. Fire his players up, bang on the boards, clap your hands, something, instead of just pacing and a flat affect. I don't know, it seems like he's flat and the team is flat and with having Drury, a more of a passive kind of guy, as the Captain, the team needs a spark.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
The Thomas J.*

I think if Renney was too lose his mind & go buck wild it would spark the team, at the very least shock them. However that's a card Renney could only play once or twice.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

He was the most pissed I've ever seen him during the Detroit game. Maybe he's slowly changing.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
LyNX27

Ya... I'd rather he hold onto that ace for a big game, like... Stanley Cup Finals

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
First we have Renney's demeanor: calm, reserved, passive, lacking intensity, not risk taking....

Is it just me or does it seem this is the same way the Rangers are playing and it's hurting them. They're very reserved and letting other teams bring the game to them rather than cranking up the intensity and bringing it the other way around. There are a couple guys, Dubnisky, Voros, Prucha when he played, Callahan, maybe Gomez recently, who seem to be bringing the intensity every game, everyone else seems content with making sure the defensive zone is covered and clogging the neutral zone. Seems like their playing too laid back.

I'd almost like to see Renney get a little fired up and start lighting some fires under the guys on this team, especially those making the big bucks and not producing. 10 games into the season the PP should be clicking, your captain should be leading on the ice, and your big free agent signings should be showing their value, not just chipping in a shabby rebound.

Yell at a ref for a bad call like a lame bench minor late in the game or a missed call like cross-checking Prucha to the ice. Fire his players up, bang on the boards, clap your hands, something, instead of just pacing and a flat affect. I don't know, it seems like he's flat and the team is flat and with having Drury, a more of a passive kind of guy, as the Captain, the team needs a spark.

This has become one of those annual threads that pop up every season now.

1st, the players have always responded to his demeanor and attitude every season so far.

And 2nd, at least in my view of things, nothing big should be read into these first 9 games much because of the tightness of the schedule. More or less I'm just tickled that the Rangers were able to go 4-2-1 while playing a 7-games-in-11-nights stretch at the start of this season...which was preceded by the whole Europe Trip.

A week ago they were clearly fatigued vs. the Sabres, and it's been showing since.

I guess what I'm saying is...I think the team, in a way, has gotten off to the best possible start they could w/o their best stuff(at least I don't think it was). Now, with a little rest, the season in theory starts for them now & they have a good margin of error to play with.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post

1st, the players have always responded to his demeanor and attitude every season so far.

And 2nd, at least in my view of things, nothing big should be read into these first 9 games much because of the tightness of the schedule. More or less I'm just tickled that the Rangers were able to go 4-2-1 while playing a 7-games-in-11-nights stretch at the start of this season...which was preceded by the whole Europe Trip.

A week ago they were clearly fatigued vs. the Sabres, and it's been showing since.

I guess what I'm saying is...I think the team, in a way, has gotten off to the best possible start they could w/o their best stuff(at least I don't think it was). Now, with a little rest, the season in theory starts for them now & they have a good margin of error to play with.
Excellent, excellent post.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:55 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Excellent, excellent post.

Why thank you SBOB. I always consider it a compliment to get such praise from the likes of you.

As for the subject again, I'll admit that I seriously questioned last season if renney could "right the ship"...to the point that I got into a lengthy debate with davisian about it. But after last season & and the one before that I can honestly say I've learned my lesson when it comes to Professor Tom Renney.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:

True, I guess my concern is that before they had a player that was such a dynamic that he alone could change the face of a game in an instance, now they lack that dynamic. Before they had a guy who was reckless, a guy with a big mouth, and an elite superstar who could all spark a game in one way or another, where does that spark come from now?

Does a Tortorella, Keenan, or Milbury only get once chance at being lively? I'm not saying that he has to be as animated as one of these guys as it has it's drawbacks too. It just seems that Renney is the polar opposite and needs to find a middle ground and respond appropriately to the situation at hand....if you need intensity...bring intensity.

Old
10-21-2008, 07:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Why thank you SBOB. I always consider it a compliment to get such praise from the likes of you.

As for the subject again, I'll admit that I seriously questioned last season if renney could "right the ship"...to the point that I got into a lengthy debate with davisian about it. But after last season & and the one before that I can honestly say I've learned my lesson when it comes to Professor Tom Renney.
The only I'd add is the is not and does not have to be a finished product right now. They can and I believe will improve as the year goes on - and ultimately be a better team that what we've seen to date. Of course the team is 4 games over .500.

Old
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Perfect post. I couldn't say it any better. Good job.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Fletch

I wouldn't think the criticism is about the last nine games more than the last three seasons and nine games and the question as to whether or not there's enough creativity in Renney's system to take this team to the next level. I don't think we know the answer to that question yet, and it can be easily debated either way.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
gravytrain6t

I say its a no brainer. We must bring in Ted Nolan. haha jk. I meant Torterella..... jk again.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't mistake ranting for intensity.

Intensity can be quiet as in focus, poise and sticking to the plan when things look bad.

Run and gun wide open hockey is fun to watch but not necessarily the best course of action for a given group whose intention is to win the most games.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
Don't mistake ranting for intensity.

Intensity can be quiet as in focus, poise and sticking to the plan when things look bad.

Run and gun wide open hockey is fun to watch but not necessarily the best course of action for a given group whose intention is to win the most games.

And, nobody knows what he does when the doors are closed and the press is not around.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And, nobody knows what he does when the doors are closed and the press is not around.
Yes, I'm sure he's chewed off a few heads, but that's not for public display. I respect that.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
The only I'd add is the is not and does not have to be a finished product right now. They can and I believe will improve as the year goes on - and ultimately be a better team that what we've seen to date. Of course the team is 4 games over .500.
I know, it's very very disapointing.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:22 AM
shon

I love Renney. Great person, very classy. could want a better man but.....
we do get out coached sometimes.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
I love Renney. Great person, very classy. could want a better man but.....
we do get out coached sometimes.
Past 2 seasons...we have gone to the Conference semi's and have been beaten by the better team on both occasions.
IMO, that would indicate that Renney's style is getting the most out of the squad and he really shouldnt be questioned as often as he does.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Sometimes a cold, silent stare does more than flipping a table over.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Quote:
Thnak you both for bringing the sanity, as always.

Every year we get these kinda of threads. "Why doesnt Renney act like a raving lunatic to get these guys off their butts and perform!"

Funny thing is, most of these people who dont like Renney's 'style' prefer a guy like Keenan, who wasn't really like the Keenan of old the one year he coached here. And oh look, a championship without all the Keenan fireworks.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Blue4Ever

Since I watch most of the games from home and the camera pans to the bench, I can say that Renney shows some intensity on the bench but rarely loses it. IMO, his level headedness is plus.
Based on the interview with him after the Dallas game, I would be willing to bet that he probably saves his "more intense" moments for the players privately. He certainly didn't pull any punches when he said they "played stupid hockey" in the interview. I'm sure he had similar words for the team. He's not going to put up with the likes of Rissmiller's lazy play.

Blue4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:17 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
he reminds me of a more reserved Herb Brooks

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I don't dislike Renney, I really think he could have won the Jack Adams a couple years back. The system he implements can be a real snoozer some times, that's not my reason for concern. What is, is that in the past we've had a couple of guys who could ignite a spark when the team was flat. If the Coach's style is poised and reserved, the Captain's style is very much the same, and there aren't any loose cannons or elite superstars on the team, when the team is just kind of flat, who's going to ignite that spark when you've got a team that follows it's leaders? Who's going to get them out of a rut when they're into one? Who changes the game around and starts bringing it to the opponent rather than waiting to capitalize on their mistakes? What happens if they don't make any mistakes?

The first season after the lockout Renney took no BS. You take a bad penalty or two, he didn't care who you were, you got benched. He did this to hold players accountable and forced them to play hard. Since that season, he's seemed to have become increasingly tolerant and doesn't hold people as publicly accountable in the same kind of way.

Old
10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Fletch

viper...

I honestly don't remember the benchings in year one. I thought guys like Rozsival, Malik, Ruca, Straka, Rucchin and other vets had a long leash. Year two he was tougher on them and year three he didn't give a crap anymore and would've benched Jagr for his mother if he thought it would've improved the quality on ice.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
ogie

yes, he has been seen wearing a brown belt with black shoes, but of late his suits have been a lot better. oh wait ...style, as in demeanor?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote