HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pk / So

Old
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Pk / So

THE PENALTY KILL

Last Year
- Always: Betts, Straka, Shanahan, Drury
- Sometimes: Gomez, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Sjostrom

- Potential Replacements (for bolded guys): Fritsche, Voros???, Rissmiller???, Korpikoski???
* I like what i see and hear about Fritsche to be a reliable PKer. Voros and Rissmiller I believe received PK duties on their respective teams but dont know how good they were. Korpikoski I dont know if he will make the team or if he will be counted upon for these important minutes.

This Year
- I dont like the idea of having to use Dubinsky and Gomez consistently because it really shouldnt be their role on the team.
- I believe we will have a good PK, if only because our strong D and Henrik.
- I hope Korpedo can crack the lineup and be a pesty little waterbug type on the PK (a little like Ortmeyer used to and was very effective).

THE SHOOTOUT

Last Year
- Jaromir Jagr sucked at it. ***??? Love the guy but boggled all of our minds why one of the most gifted players of all time was afraid and atrocious at this.
- Dawes was a godsend.
- Shanahan was a miracle worker. He somehow hit the one square inch of the net that was available to him but i never really felt confident when it was his turn like i did for Dawes.

This Year
- Zherdev has good stats and sick hands so he gets my approval.
- Dawes we all have faith in.
- I'd be willing to give Naslund a shot. He seems like a cool customer.
- Try to bring back the Prucha magic touch.
- Gomez has ice in his veins and scored that game winner (lucky if you ask me) against Miller but doesnt look natural at it.

Please share your thoughts on these two crucial aspects of our team.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
I like Fritsche for PK, I also like for Sjostrom to get a shot. I don't know that Korpikoski makes the team but if he does, he may fit on the PK.

I think for shootouts, Naslund and Zherdev are great additions, and hopefully this season brings St. Petr back to form. I will root hard for Prucha to turn it around.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Synergy27

From what I hear, Fritsche is absolutely money on the PK. He, Betts and Drury will form the core of what should be another very good PK unit.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
otto1219

fritche is money on the pk, no to rissmiller and voros.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

- I dont like the idea of having to use Dubinsky and Gomez consistently because it really shouldnt be their role on the team.
i dunno, i think tossing gomez out near the end of a PK is great (other team is tired, time is right to explode out past them for a shortie)

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Every year since the lockout we have lost players who saw a lot of PK time and in turn we all thought the PK would take a hit but it seems to just get better. One thing the coaching staff has excelled in. It also doesn't hurt to have Henrik back there.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
LyNX27

PK

I would like to see Korpikoski get atleast half a season in Hartford before he gets called up. Heres why...

+ Defensive upside is there. You don't really lose those skills.
+ Offensive Flair which we saw in his 1 debut.
+ Quick Decision-Making skills. Likes to shoot the puck, always a plus.
+ Big body, Good Hustle, Strong on the puck.

- I would like to see him get called up at a time which his offense is in bloom and where he is just 100 percent confident at jumping into the league.

Besides Korpikoski I think that Fritsche will help us once again have one of the best PK's in the league backed up by Lundqvist. And if Lundy can stay healthy. We should look to see him carrying a Vezina trophy home this year. Look for Rissmiller to land himself on the PK also, as he was great for the Sharks... on the PK at least, from what I heard he was shady with the puck and carrying it out of the zone... Something to look out for. Voros has an offensive upside that many people don't see in him cause of his big body, and PIM, but besides that i've never heard his name from any of my Minnesota friends when it comes to PK... I'll check up on that and get back to you.

Shoot Out

Dawes - Proven SO taker, craft, fast with his hands.

Zherdev - Hands down probably the most creative person with a puck, and god-like stick handling. Should be fun.

?Prucha? - I would love for him to find his scoring touch again. Put him on the PP and watch the backdoor goals go in, what he does on the SO im not sure, but I'm giving him a chance.

?Naslund? - Never seen him on a SO, wouldn't know.

?Gomez? - Seems like a possibility, but I'm not sure hes got the moves to get the job done.

?Fritsche? - Never seen him on a SO, wouldn't know.

?Dubinsky? - Give him a chance at it. Maybe it will work out. Seems more of a blast the puck past you, rather then a shifty stick handler.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Jarmac

vCash: 873
I think Dubinsky would have more of a Sykora/Parise style backhand move, the one we saw him execute many times during games.

Jarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
?Naslund? - Never seen him on a SO, wouldn't know.
This is an old one but still nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOuhgrdjFrY

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think Korpikoski should without a doubt be on the opening night roster. The guy can play he showed a little glimpse of that in that playoff game against the Pens. And yes I know one game doesnt make a career nor does one goal, BUT we did not rush this guy at all. A 2004 1st round pick, he's now 22?, we took our time with him, developed him nicely and with the direction this team is going in which is speed, this is when he steps in and takes a roster spot.

The guy that should be the one staying in Hartford for half the year and then possibly looked upon to be brought up is, Anisimov. If that happens, of course someone would have to be moved.

I really like the addition of Fritsche. He used to be one of the Jackets better prospects, he's still very young, and I love what I'm hearing about his PK game.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Zherdev was 5 for 8 in shootouts last year...

I can't find Naslunds shootout stats BUT if Zherdev and Dawes duplicate there shootout production from last year it's not going to matter the third shooter is....The Rangers should be fine...in this aspect of the game at least....

I'm certainly down on what the Rangers did this offseason but I THINK they will be alright on special teams as well...

The power play just can't be worse then what it was last year and they have more then enough penalty killers....

Drury
Betts
Gomez
Dubinsky
Callahan
Fritsche
Rissmiller

The Rangers have options......

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I can't find Naslunds shootout stats BUT if Zherdev and Dawes duplicate there shootout production from last year it's not going to matter the third shooter is....The Rangers should be fine...in this aspect of the game at least....
1/5 (20%)

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:27 PM
mrhockey193195

for PK, I'd like to see Callahan get more time. He, Betts, Drury, Fritche should make a solid top 4 forwards, and guys like Sjostrom and Rissmiller can be called upon if needed.

For shootouts, dawes and Zherdev and two good choices. Both Drury and Gomez are average at best, and I don't know how well Naslund would do. Maybe give a guy like Dubinsky or Callahan or Prucha a shot.

Last edited by mrhockey193195: 07-23-2008 at 09:33 PM.
mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
TheHotRock

gomez-callahan were vere a solid bottom end pk tandem last season, id love to see them kill about 30 seconds of every penalty we take.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm not worried about the PK really. As most people are saying, we have an abundance of guys who can kill penalties.

Drury - Callahan
Betts - Fritsche
Gomez - Rissmiller
Dubinsky - Sjostrom

4 solid PK pairings.

We could use a 3rd "guarantee" but Zherdev and Dawes should be a very solid one-two-punch to start off any shootout.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
NYR Viper

renney normally runs 3 pk units....this is what i would like to see

drury-fritsche
gomez-rissmiller/callahan(whoever is on the 4th line)
betts-sjostrom

my normal lines would be:

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
callahan-dubinsky-voros
sjostrom-betts-rissmiller
prucha, orr

notice no one on the third line plays pk so renney could follow up every pk with a solid hard-working 3rd line who will get the puck deep and forecheck hard to regain the momentum....

when it comes to shootouts:

1) dawes
2) zherdev
3) naslund
3) fritsche
3) gomez
3) dubinsky

for solid options for the third guy

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Any discussion about SO has to include Prucha. It doesn't matter what he has done in terms of overall play but he is still a good shoot out guy and should be included.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:48 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
For Penalty Shots
We must resign Malik

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Any discussion about SO has to include Prucha. It doesn't matter what he has done in terms of overall play but he is still a good shoot out guy and should be included.
Good call.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Zherdev was 5 for 8 in shootouts last year...

I'm certainly down on what the Rangers did this offseason but I THINK they will be alright on special teams as well...

The power play just can't be worse then what it was last year and they have more then enough penalty killers....

Drury
Betts
Gomez
Dubinsky
Callahan
Fritsche
Rissmiller

The Rangers have options......
I notice people are calling Fritsche money on the PK.....hmm a 22 yr old who can also score a bit.......wonder why we got him

i hate when people complain before a kid plays

Also I say Betts , Callahan, Drury for sure are on it..........likely Gomez for a bit too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Prucha needs to be in the lineup everyday to be in the SO... lets see if there is room for him on the team... i'm not sure if has made his way out of Renneys doghouse or if other players haven't passed him up on the depth charts yet.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Callahan was starting to come into his own last year on the PK, and if he can rag off time like he did last year at the end of one of the Ranger-Devil playoff games, he's a lock IMO for some PK time.

Betts does a masterful job on the Pk, one of the best in the league.

People are also forgetting how good Drury is. Excellent Pk guy.

If Fritsche is as good as some say he is, then that trade becomes even better in my mind. The Rangers needed someone to kill penalties, and despite how well Shanny and Straka did last season - I would have rather saved their energy for even strength minutes. Having guys like Fritsche and Sjostrom who are quick on their skates and can kill penalties well, only makes it easier for the top guns to do their work. Not to mention they are the ones blocking the 95 mph bullets from the points, not Gomez, etc...

But i think theyll be fine in this regard, especially if the defense is indeed improved with Redden's heads up play and a matured Staal clearing out the crease with a little more strength. Mara did a decent job on the PK as did Rozsival last year, in front of their best PK guy Henrik Lundqvist.

----

As far as the shootout goes, Dawes lit it up last year - hopefully he can retain that. NAslund has some moves, im sure hes top 5. Gomez can put it in, but not with the confidence Prucha can. If Prucha can get hot watch out. Zherdev, Prucha and Dawes with Naslund, Drury, Gomez, Fritsche etc. in the hole...

The loss of Shanny hurts here because he was money last year, but i think theyll be ok, because again they have one of the best goalies waiting on the other end of the ice, which is probably the more important thing. (not to mention Vally who's come up big in SO's)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Very true. I've been assuming Prucha is a goner come September, but is anyone else getting the feeling he'll show up at camp with 15lbs of muscle added to him?

Old
07-24-2008, 09:09 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Very true. I've been assuming Prucha is a goner come September, but is anyone else getting the feeling he'll show up at camp with 15lbs of muscle added to him?
nope.....

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
nope.....
You don't count.