HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the Avs in 08/09... line projections, expectations... etc

Old
07-31-2008, 03:43 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Smyth-Stastny-Svatos
Tyler-Wolski-Hejduk
Jones-Hensick-Tucker
McLeod-Guite-Lappy

Go ahead and start planning for life without Joe...if he comes back great!!! If he doesn't, well at least we weren't asleep at the switch. The only reason I have Tyler on the second line is that he's more effective with more minutes. He proved that last season. Personally, I'd like to have both him and his salary expunged but the fact is he appears to be here for the next season so we might as well get him off the third line center duties and try to find a useful spot for him. Hejduk is defensively reliable and lets face it, Wolski needs to start getting time as a center in the NHL. He's been effective in this role everywhere else in his career but was a victim of being behind Joe and Paul here on the depth chart. Hensick could push Wolski for that second line spot and I wouldn't mind Guite pushing either for the third line pivot position...The fact is best play should play, and I think the third line should be a more shut-down type line...maybe...

Smyth-Stastny-Svatos
Wolski-Hensick-Hejduk
McLeod-Guite-Lappy/Jones
Jones/Lappy-McCormick-Tucker

makes more sense.

Could you imagine the pain involved if you had to line up against either that 3rd or 4th line. Geesh....It's hard hitting and mostly clean.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
thedoctor
                    

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Smyth-Stastny-Svatos
Tyler-Wolski-Hejduk
Jones-Hensick-Tucker
McLeod-Guite-Lappy

Go ahead and start planning for life without Joe...if he comes back great!!! If he doesn't, well at least we weren't asleep at the switch. The only reason I have Tyler on the second line is that he's more effective with more minutes. He proved that last season. Personally, I'd like to have both him and his salary expunged but the fact is he appears to be here for the next season so we might as well get him off the third line center duties and try to find a useful spot for him. Hejduk is defensively reliable and lets face it, Wolski needs to start getting time as a center in the NHL. He's been effective in this role everywhere else in his career but was a victim of being behind Joe and Paul here on the depth chart. Hensick could push Wolski for that second line spot and I wouldn't mind Guite pushing either for the third line pivot position...The fact is best play should play, and I think the third line should be a more shut-down type line...maybe...

Smyth-Stastny-Svatos
Wolski-Hensick-Hejduk
McLeod-Guite-Lappy/Jones
Jones/Lappy-McCormick-Tucker

makes more sense.

Could you imagine the pain involved if you had to line up against either that 3rd or 4th line. Geesh....It's hard hitting and mostly clean.
If we're talking about what's actually likely, I'd put good money on this:

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Tucker-Wolski-Svatos (Wolski will be tried here, they've said)
Jones-Arny-Hensick
McLeod-Guite-Lappy

I'd really like to see Stewart have a great camp and snag a roster spot, forcing Arny to the bench and that 3rd would look like Jones-Hensick-Stewart. But that's a dream.

I don't see Arnason on the top 2 lines barring injury either way. He does do better with more time, but his teammates suffer the more they play with him. But then, it is a contract year -- maybe he'll have some motivation?

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Smyth-Stastny-Svatos
Tyler-Wolski-Hejduk
Jones-Hensick-Tucker
McLeod-Guite-Lappy
I see I'm not the only person who would like to see Svatos get minutes with Stastny and Smyth. Cool.

I think Tucker would be a good person to put on that Wolski/Hejduk line though. I also don't want to see Arnason get 2nd line minutes.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
If we're talking about what's actually likely, I'd put good money on this:

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Tucker-Wolski-Svatos (Wolski will be tried here, they've said)
Jones-Arny-Hensick
McLeod-Guite-Lappy
Yep. That's probably what they'll do.

If Sakic comes back, it'll be interesting to see who they bump. I hope it's Arnason. The words 'Tyler' and 'Arnason' being translated to 'healthy' and 'scratch' on a regular basis would make me a happy camper.

Watching the personnel decisions on this team in recent years though, I suspect they'd bench Hensick first.

This is all predicated on no one making a killer impression in camp and making the team.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Yep. That's probably what they'll do.

If Sakic comes back, it'll be interesting to see who they bump. I hope it's Arnason. The words 'Tyler' and 'Arnason' being translated to 'healthy' and 'scratch' on a regular basis would make me a happy camper.

Watching the personnel decisions on this team in recent years though, I suspect they'd bench Hensick first.

This is all predicated on no one making a killer impression in camp and making the team.

-AB
agreed. And I would also like to see Svatos with Stastny as well early in the year, just to try it out. Somehow I don't think their playing styles will mesh too well (Svatos really struggles along the boards, which Smyth and Stastny seem to gravitate to), but you never know.

Old
07-31-2008, 01:13 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
agreed. And I would also like to see Svatos with Stastny as well early in the year, just to try it out. Somehow I don't think their playing styles will mesh too well (Svatos really struggles along the boards, which Smyth and Stastny seem to gravitate to), but you never know.
I'd like to see Wolski and Svatos given a chance together. Wojo has nice playmaking skills and Svatos is a pure sniping machine. Put a grinder type player on their line to A) Help out Svatty, he likes to play big but he also gets pushed around, and B) Get Wojo going physically. He seems to play bigger when people around him play physical.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeNeedBouwmeester View Post
I'd like to see Wolski and Svatos given a chance together. Wojo has nice playmaking skills and Svatos is a pure sniping machine. Put a grinder type player on their line to A) Help out Svatty, he likes to play big but he also gets pushed around, and B) Get Wojo going physically. He seems to play bigger when people around him play physical.
Yep, Svatos and Wolski need a dirty work player with them. Tucker is a great match from all I know of him -- he hits, he forechecks well, and he's got some offensive talent too. Only thing that worries me is that all 3 are known defensive liabilities...remember how bad the Wolski / Arny / Svatos line was defensively? Could be similar.

Old
08-04-2008, 08:34 AM
jfc64

A few thoughts on our roster:

1. Sakic and Forsberg rules this team. I think Sakic is updated on what really happens with Forsberg's foot. As soon as Sakic signs, Arnason will be traded.

2. Our playoff appearance. Actually there's no way I could escape this ... we were only a few games away...which is a long road sometimes... from reaching the conference finals. And our improvement will go on from there. The Tucker and Ledin signings should be seen in that light. Management, I believe, feel those ingredients were lacking that Tucker and Ledin possesses.

3. Point 1 and 2 points to Arnason leaving, although he has NO guilt or whatever to us losing to the Wings. He just need leave room for a) Hensick or b) a Gratton type of player.

4. The holiday feeling with the Avs...they know this is the last year for many players to have a shot at the title. Last year was maybe seen as a middle year to be played through, I believe, with a few players, not knowing of Forsberg and Foote lifting the whole team. I want Sakic and Hejduk to really be on their toes from day one this season. That will send signals to the rest of the younger players.

5. Kudos to Tjärnqvist who really has shown he want to play hockey throughout the whole of last season, battling injury. He will take a fifth or a sixth spot at defense, pointing to:

6. We can do without Clark or similar, reluctantly not want to mention his name after being injured for a long time, although having that depth probably will help us through a slump or two during the season. There are may ways we can aquire a 7th defender, though...hell, Nigel Williams or Shattenkirk could join...

7. Cup chances seem to bring out the best in a goalie or two. And Raycroft has shown more potential than Budaj. One of the two might be traded at the deadline...

8. We have many players in the "breakout" zone. Wolski, Svatos, Jones, Hensick, Leopold and Liles. I'm not keen on having Wolski and Svatos on the same line. Actually I'm sceptic to Wolski being the player we desperately need at all. He might be a better fit on another team who might want to unload an offensive d-man. Show me wrong, please. On another level, McCormick, McLeod and Sertich might develop. Chris Stewart is a dark horse.

9. Something tells me Foote and Salei will work well together. Foote taking care of defense and setting up Salei for a shot, Salei taking the second forward out with a hit. Tjärnqvist has enough sensitivity to act second fiddle to Leopold. Leaving Hannan and Liles as the proof of the equation...
21. Forsberg...

Smyth – Sakic – Svatos
Wolski – Stastny - Hejduk
Tucker – Hensick – Jones
McLeod – McCormick – Laperriere
Ledin
Guite

Liles - Hannan
Salei - Foote
Tjärnqvist - Leopold
Cumiskey - Williams or (Clark)

Raycroft
Budaj

Last edited by jfc64: 08-04-2008 at 08:11 PM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Draft Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
2. Our playoff appearance. Actually we DID reach the conference finals. And our improvement will go on from THERE. The Tucker and Ledin signings should be seen in that light. Management, I believe, feel those ingredients were lacking that Tucker and Ledin possesses.
????

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
????
Hmm...we were one of eight remaining teams...that makes us losers in the Conference SEMI-finals, right? Damn, where's that "embarrassed" emoticon...

Old
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Hmm...we were one of eight remaining teams...that makes us losers in the Conference SEMI-finals, right? Damn, where's that "embarrassed" emoticon...
my blind has drawn a blank as to whether or not the Avs passed the first round... but this is how it goes...

1st round - conference quarter finals
2nd round - conference semi finals
3rd round - conference finals
4th round - stanley cup finals

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:08 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
my blind has drawn a blank as to whether or not the Avs passed the first round... but this is how it goes...

1st round - conference quarter finals
2nd round - conference semi finals
3rd round - conference finals
4th round - stanley cup finals
They played 10 games. We beat the damn Wild!

Old
08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
flamebird

if sakic does retire, i would put arnason on that 2nd line because of his offensive abilities, and some offensive wingers he would be able to play with

flamebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
any chances ledin makes the team? He did sign with you guys correct?

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Most likely, I doubt the Avs signed Ledin just so he could play for the minors. He will most likely replace the Cody's so they can develop more and take a spot in either the 3rd or 4th line. But I actually don't know how good this guy is and him cracking the line up will depend on how he, and others, play during camp and probably the pre-season.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:05 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
he'll make the team, probably as a healthy scratch type to start. I'd be surprised if he spends time in the minors as he has a one way contract.

Old
08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
He'll probably take Riku Hahl's spot.

I don't mean to bash the guy but he's a big question mark as I've not seen him play before. If he's better than guys currently on the roster he'll take their spot, if not...he won't. Best player plays. From what I've read he is somewhere between Lappy in his good scoring year with us and Cody McLeod last year. Tenacious, hard to play against, some jump and offensive instincts...but I just don't know if that will translate to the same thing in the NHL game.

To answer your question honestly, I'd have to admit I have no clue. He might make a bit of an impact on the 3/4 lines but then again he might not....

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
crucifux

Quote:
I don't mean to bash the guy but he's a big question mark as I've not seen him play before. If he's better than guys currently on the roster he'll take their spot, if not...he won't.
couldn't have put it better myself..

crucifux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
He'll probably take Riku Hahl's spot.

I don't mean to bash the guy but he's a big question mark as I've not seen him play before. If he's better than guys currently on the roster he'll take their spot, if not...he won't. Best player plays. From what I've read he is somewhere between Lappy in his good scoring year with us and Cody McLeod last year. Tenacious, hard to play against, some jump and offensive instincts...but I just don't know if that will translate to the same thing in the NHL game.

To answer your question honestly, I'd have to admit I have no clue. He might make a bit of an impact on the 3/4 lines but then again he might not....
Best case scenario would be he bumps one of the Cody's down and plays a Lappy level game, giving us two fantastic agitators. The Cody's get more time to develop into better overall players, and the Avs still have a boatload of annoying on the team.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:50 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Thanks for the posts, thats all i was looking for. Just wanted insight and opinions.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:27 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

So what's the deal with Hahl, anyway? I remember when he was drafted thinking that he was gonna be a pretty good player, and it's hard to trade for him in EHM 05 since he's considered "blue chip". Did he just totally stall out our what?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Lunatik*

i expect to have the preview completed around the end of August/begining of September as personal commitments are slowing the process

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Smyth Stastny Hejduk - no brainer. One of the best top lines in the west. All 3 are excellent defensively, excellent offensively. Head and shoulders above anything else in the NW unless Calgary stacks up a line with Langkow Iginla and Camalleri. And even then they dont surrender a lot.
Not to bash this line at all but however talented it is I also think it is the most injury prone line in the League which you have to take into account as they woun't be together for any extended periods of time. And I believe Calgary's First to look like Iginla-Langkow-Bertuzzi and only time will tell how dominating that line will be. I think this years x-factor is Bertuzzi not Kiprusoff.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
Not to bash this line at all but however talented it is I also think it is the most injury prone line in the League which you have to take into account as they woun't be together for any extended periods of time. And I believe Calgary's First to look like Iginla-Langkow-Bertuzzi and only time will tell how dominating that line will be. I think this years x-factor is Bertuzzi not Kiprusoff.
if you're counting on Bertuzzi and his 17g in 83 games over the last 2 years to be your x-factor, well, good news for the Avs!

Old
08-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
Outside of Smyth, what makes that line injury prone? Stastny has only played two years, and in his first, he played all 82 games. Hejduk, while admiting he's had knee issues this off season, hasn't missed a substantial amount of time. In the last five years, he's got two full seasons, one 80 game season, one 74 game, and last years 77 game season. That's pretty durable compared to most NHL'ers.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote