HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How are you guys working on your shots off ice?

Old
07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
It Kills Me

vCash: 500
How are you guys working on your shots off ice?

Right now I'm just shooting a tennis ball at an old bed in the basement.. On a little bit of carpet.

I have a ****** slapper, shot.

What should I do? I can't really get any ice time.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 12:11 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
Right now I'm just shooting a tennis ball at an old bed in the basement.. On a little bit of carpet.

I have a ****** slapper, shot.

What should I do? I can't really get any ice time.
That's fine. When you're off-ice, you're better off working on technique than just pure power. Put more emphasis on shot accuracy, and try to emphasize the sweeping motion with your shoulders, the snap of the wrists, and the various other components of the different shot types.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 04:12 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
That's fine. When you're off-ice, you're better off working on technique than just pure power. Put more emphasis on shot accuracy, and try to emphasize the sweeping motion with your shoulders, the snap of the wrists, and the various other components of the different shot types.
While on the topic of off-ice training, I had looked into one of those "stick handling balls" that you can buy that are the size of a golf ball and weigh as much as a puck to work on stick handling on regular floors. Are they any good, or can I get away with just using a golf ball?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 04:28 PM
PhysicalTorque

Golf balls are fine , but surely you can dish out like 7 $ for the puck balls?

To OP, there's nothing to it pal, just install a net outside, and shoot as hard as you want at it, and try to foretell (aim) where the puck will go, and that's how I learned to hit dead center, what you do is; take a deep breath, raise the stick up high, and as you exhale whack the mother****ing puck! You will see that your stick will bend, giving you more wip, and the puck won't miss the net, it'll fly up high.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 05:19 PM
noobman

Stickhandling balls are a little debatable. I think they're fine... I actually used to use a golf ball to stickhandle when I was a little younger.

Others will say that you should ONLY use a puck, or something that has the same weight, size, and movement as a puck, so that you don't develop any bad habits or incorrect timing (toe drags are a little different with a ball than a puck, as you'll eventually find out yourself!)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Ulic

Pucks are only a buck a piece or something like that...just buy a few. A single sheet of plywood will do as a target. I actually built a triptic frame of 2x4's with 4 sheets of plywood on the front, two in the middle section and one on each of the wings. You can easily paint targets or a net on them to aim at. Try to find some smooth ground to shoot. Heck, if you cant find a place, another sheet of plywood could work. Just work on technique then, transfer of weight and all that stuff. Once you get that down you could work on aim. The advice you will always hear for getting better at shooting is just to shoot a bunch of pucks over and over.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I went down to our nearest hard wear store and bought this sheet of acrylic for like 18 bucks and it works great. I stick handle and shot from that into my hockey next. you can roll it up and take it basically anywhere. Unroll it and start playing. I love it. Good investment if you ask me.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 05:26 PM
the_speedster

to work on the power of my shot I attach a bungee cord to one of my sticks (and the other end to a fence or something else that resists movement. Then I start mimicking my passing and shooting motions (about 10 sets of 25 each) It REALLY builds your shoulder wrists, forearms and bicep muscles (used for shooting). Do it for a week and by the time you'll notice the difference. This works really well for my passing and wrist/snap shots. You can exaggerate the action to mimick a slow slap shot but I wouldn't do a real on with the cord cause the recoil might hurt your shoulder)

A kid on youtube (who's a genius if you ask me) gave me an idea for my own "skill pad" I got a tileboard from homedepot, sprayed some wood polish on it (wiped it down) and voila... a surface that works for ice pucks/rollerpucks- whatever. Then I stand (one or two legged) on a balance board while I do all kinds of random puckhandling drills (on the "skill pad"), passing drills (where the bungee cord "passes back to me") Or set up a net and shoot off one leg or two

I also (when bored) will walk around the house bouncing a roller ball on my stick, trying to see how long I can keep the ball in the air.

There are TONS of things you can do...

Bungee cord shooting (at 1:07)

Skill pad making.....

"balance board" stickhandling at :35 to :52 of the video

You can get the balance board at most walmart or sporting goods stores

ball tricks (I am NO where this good btw ) Its fun to try them though

good luck

Last edited by the_speedster: 07-28-2008 at 05:41 PM.
the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
It Kills Me

Sound sick, my dads a do it yourself buff. So I'll head out and find this arcylic stuff.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
McNasty

For shooting the best thing you can do is too just buy a few pucks, lay em out on plywood and start shooting. For stickhandling I use a roller hockey puck and just things like watch TV, something that i have to pay attention to so I can stickhandle well without having to look down.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote