HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kolzig - Almost Traded Jan 25?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 08:44 AM
officeglen

vCash: 500
Kolzig - Almost Traded Jan 25?

The latest from the Washington Post on Icegate is here:
For Kolzig, Mind Over Madder (free subscription required)

Selected quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
Since Dec. 31, Kolzig is 7-7-4 -- impressive on a team that is 13 games under .500 for the season -- while posting a .932 save percentage (the NHL leader currently holds a .938 mark) and 2.30 goals against average.
This should be a trying time for Kolzig. His wife, Christin, is expecting the couple's third child any day now, and trade rumors persist with the Capitals dealing high-salaried veterans in a rebuilding process. Kolzig's son, Carson, is autistic and has special needs and a specific routine that can be accommodated by the medical community in the Washington area but may not be elsewhere.
On Jan. 25, he was pulled from a scheduled start against Philadelphia, a team very much pursuing goaltenders at the time, and the reality of his uncertain future sunk in.

"As I was sitting on the bench there I honestly thought that was going to be my last game as a Capital," Kolzig said. "It was almost surreal; it was so weird. You think about how Peter [Bondra] reacted the other day [the longtime Capital cried after being traded to Ottawa on Wednesday], and I could almost see myself going through that same thing."

After that exhausting evening, Kolzig said he accepted he had no control over the situation, and during a meeting with General Manager George McPhee, the goalie was informed more trades could be coming if deemed in the club's best interest.

"I thought that was a pretty honest thing for George to say," Kolzig said, "and the reality is that we have no one to blame for the situation we are in other than ourselves. When payroll is as high as it is and a team underachieves as much as we have, then coaches get fired and players get traded.

"If it's going to happen, it's going to happen, and hopefully if I go, I go to a good team that has a chance to win. And if it doesn't happen, then I get to finish my career in Washington, and hopefully two or three years down the road we will have the right pieces, and we can be a contender again."
Nothing new but well written article that shows us Kolzig the person. Interesting that even a veteran like Kolzig can still face mental hurdles of "the stress of playing goal". After reading this article what do think about Kolzig and playoff stress?

Old
02-21-2004, 08:49 AM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
The latest from the Washington Post on Icegate is here:
For Kolzig, Mind Over Madder (free subscription required)

Selected quotes:
Nothing new but well written article that shows us Kolzig the person. Interesting that even a veteran like Kolzig can still face mental hurdles of "the stress of playing goal". After reading this article what do think about Kolzig and playoff stress?
Honestly? I believe that when out from under George McPhee's proverbial Frankenstein, Kolzig has become the old grizzly bear he once was, and that his recent achievment in concert with incredible personal stress reflects upon his character.

Let me add that Kolzig could be the hottest goaltender going into the SC playoffs, and there are a dozen teams who'd be better off with Olie as their starter.

Closed Thread