HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Scott Gomez an Asset?

Old
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Is Scott Gomez an Asset?

There has been debate about this but I think I came up with the best way I can explain my thoughts.

Again I'll preface by saying that Gomez brings a lot to our team and is probably our second most important player after Hank (but not the second most valuable asset)

To me an asset is a player that other teams would covet. At 7.5 MM for the next 6 years I really think only a handful of teams would even consider adding this guy to their team. I'm not referring to the fact that many teams are close to or over the cap...

let me put it this way, if every player became a free agent and the league had a draft where you would pick players and had to take on their contracts with the cap still in effect I would think Gomez wouldn't be taken until really late. You would still see guys with big contracts like Crosby, Ovechkin, Vinny, Malkin picked at the top of the "first round" because they are franchise players. You would see a lot of the elite players with big contracts get picked in fact. But then you would see the young/underpaid players get picked becasue they are VALUABLE ASSETS. I really believe that it would not be until really late in this "draft" that a team with room under its cap would say "ok we have a hole at center and cap flexibility, why not bring in Gomez to fill the roll"

Please take my argument seriously even if you disagree whole-heartedly cause this is how I honestly feel. If you think Gomez would be a "first rounder" in my make believe draft that is your opinion and I hope that would actually be the case since I want the Rangers to be building the team correctly.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

At what point do players stop becoming valuable assets?

At one point every player is a valuable asset, excluding the Strudwicks, Hollwegs, and Orr's of the world.... because of their entry level contract cap hit or a tad above.

Every player will get a raise eventually and if they aren't franchise players they no longer become assets?

Basically what your saying is (and your correct - this is the way pro sports work), is that only generation talent players and young players are considered valuable assets.

Gomez would be an asset to a handful of teams, cap high or not. He's a first line center on most teams that don't have Lecavalier, Crosby, etc.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Couldn't this just go in the other ridiculous thread you started about Gomez?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
what are you going to call the next thread?

look at what Dan Boyle got in a trade, and then tell me that Gomez isn't a tradable asset.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Couldn't this just go in the other ridiculous thread you started about Gomez?
You would know board etiquette wouldnt you Mr. 2000+ posts in 1 year. Thats either really impressive or really sad.

All I asked for was feedback...like the dan boyle comment above is actually something to consider so thank you whoever made that point.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Unk

Unless the Rangers are godawful are signing players, Gomez probably got similar-esque offers from other teams. He didn't get $7.3 mil per year because Sather felt like offering him $2 mil more than the other teams trying to get him, but more like because he offered say, $0.3 mil more than the other teams wanting his services. The cap ceiling has gone up about $5+ mil per season, so Gomez's contract looks a bit better, so I'm certain there are some teams that don't mind his contract. So yes, Gomez is an asset with value.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Oren Koules doesnt own are team, we arent trying to make a fantasy team, we are trying to make a REAL team. Gomez will not be traded in his first 4-5 years of his 7 year contract in which last year he was most likely are best player, save Henke.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Turambar

Wow, you made another thread about Gomez, what a surprise.

Who really cares if Gomez is an "asset"? He's not going anywhere, so it makes no difference. But for the sake of argument, yes, he is a valuable asset. Every team that doesn't have a Crosby or a Thornton or a Lecavalier wants someone like Gomez.

Look at Columbus, for instance. I'd be willing to bet that Howson would give up his left nut to acquire Scotty Gomez. Why, you ask? Because they have no 1st-line center to play with Nash. They have a Mike Peca instead. Or a Manny Malhotra. Oh, I forgot, now R.J. Umberger is their #1 center.

How about Atlanta? Who do they have to play with Kovalchuk? No one.

Florida? Who centers Horton? Rostislav Olesz?

Who on Minnesota is going to center Gaborik? Mikko Koivu?

Even a team like Montreal would love to have a guy like Gomez, he's better than any center they have currently.

How about the Islanders? Who is their #1 center? Comrie? Weight? Pitiful.

Toronto? Antropov?

Getting my point here?

Last edited by Turambar: 08-02-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:33 PM
gaglinefan

Absolutely. He is a first line center with speed and skill. If we needed to clear our end and rush the goal to score a game tying or winning goal in a critical situation he is the ONE guy I get the puck to.

Last edited by gaglinefan: 08-02-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spell
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaglinefan View Post
Absolutely. He is a first line center with speed and skill. If we needed to clear our end and rush the goal to score a game tying or winning goal in a critical situation he is the ONE guy I get the puck to.
or dont forget or new friend Nik!!!!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaglinefan View Post
Actually, he's a second line center making 1st line center money. He's a sub PPG guy... 70 points is nice but any team can pay $7.3 mill and get a lazy 70 point/16 goal scorer thus he's NOT an asset...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Actually, he's a second line center making 1st line center money. He's a sub PPG guy... 70 points is nice but any team can pay $7.3 mill and get a lazy 70 point/16 goal scorer thus he's NOT an asset...
read nyrJeff's post

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Q: Is Scott Gomez an asset.
A: Yes.

Wow, that was easy.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

I really hate the off season.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
"Is Gomez an asset?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
There has been debate about this but I think I came up with the best way I can explain my thoughts.

Again I'll preface by saying that Gomez brings a lot to our team and is probably our second most important player after Hank (but not the second most valuable asset)
Do you realize you've answered your own question, and that there's little reason to continue reading at that point?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 08:56 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Are board members who start stupid threads an asset to HFBoards?

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Are board members who start stupid threads an asset to HFBoards?
funny, but harsh, lol

This guys like Hollweg on these boards...wreckless and undiciplined!!!!

I kid, I kid, we are all entitled to our opinions

Old
08-03-2008, 07:01 AM
eco's bones

I like Gomez but I also see him as the most moveable of our players with big contracts not named Lundqvist. The reason being that IMO other teams who might trade for him would see fair value in his contract. So he has a lot of value.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Fletch

That's true, eco's...

if he keeps putting together seasons such as last season and the cap continues to go up a bit, his cost would be considered more than fair, making him a movable asset if the Rangers had other cheaper options at center that were nearly as good and if they then would be able to use the additional cash to fill in holes to make the overall team better.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 900
This issue isn't a "debate" because your the only one who thinks otherwise.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
You know, it's awesome how this cap is going to go up, up and up with a multi-trillion-dollar deficit (someone please tell me that has nothing to do with the cap). Where will it stop, 80M? 200M?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 01:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
if he keeps putting together seasons such as last season and the cap continues to go up a bit, his cost would be considered more than fair, making him a movable asset if the Rangers had other cheaper options at center that were nearly as good and if they then would be able to use the additional cash to fill in holes to make the overall team better.

Truthfully Fletch he's good enough where he can handle the job description of a legit first line center but he's not good enough IMO to put the team over the top. In that respect--though his time is running out--with the current blah-blah about Sundin I think Mats for a short term makes us a more dangerous team. Depending on what we got back for Gomez I could see dealing him and signing Sundin for a year or two and revisit replacing a top line center when the money became available again after Sundin's contract is over. In the meanwhile the Rangers should (if they dealt him) get a very good return for a team looking for a legit top line center like Gomez. I like Scott but I believe there is potentially an opportunity right now to make the team stronger both in the short term with Sundin and in the long term with salary cap flexibility and whatever a Gomez trade would return.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 02:47 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
You know, it's awesome how this cap is going to go up, up and up with a multi-trillion-dollar deficit (someone please tell me that has nothing to do with the cap). Where will it stop, 80M? 200M?
Glad you mentioned this, I've been thinking about it for a while now with everyone convinced it will go up every year. The cap is tied to league revenue, and I just dont see it going up this year. People are streched to thin, I think merchandise and attendance sales will be down this year, and unless they come up with a great TV deal I dont see how the league makes more money than last, especially when more money is already being spent on the current cap rise.
Just as an example, I was paying 2.89 a gallon for home heating oil last winter, that was 578 bucks for a 200 gallon delivery, at the current local price of 4.75 my bill just shot up to 950 bucks for the same delivery....while I dont expect anyone to care, for me that extra 400 bucks a month through the winter puts my hockey spending in jeopardy, as I'm sure it will for others..

Old
08-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Interesting topic, but the question should be is Gomez a true first line center? Well aside from being paid like one no he isn't. To me this is a guy you trade, esp if you can get a better player like Sundin to take over. I see no reason why this is a bad idea. Sundin is the better all around player and an upgrade at a position we have been trying to fill since........well since a long time, 1st line center. We haven't had one since Gretzky/Mess in 97.

Add in Sundin subtract Gomez while also getting something in a trade for him. The one area I have confidence in Slats is getting atleast a decent return in trades, so Gomez could fetch something that could help this franchise down the road also. Why else should we trade Gomer? Dubinsky and Anisimov are in the system........they are better than 3rd liners, lets give them a chance and some icetime............having Mats here instead of Gomez gives that a better chance of happening.

As far as him being an asset of course he is, I see a lot of teams who would be more willing and able to take on a Scott Gomez and his salary.........i'm not saying we would get a killing for him, but i'm sure there would be interest out there.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote