HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Benefits of endurance training to hockey

Old
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Benefits of endurance training to hockey

Quick question:

I've heard mixed reviews about this. I do a lot of long-distance running and biking in the offseason... now I thought this would help my game, but apparently there's a belief that it helps you develop "slow feet", which makes for poor acceleration.

Is there any merit to this? Every 2 weeks I bike about 8km to the arena, skate for two hours, and come back 8km. Since it's public skating I don't get to go very fast....

...is this possibly hurting an aspect of my game?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:00 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

I used to do something similar but found that HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to be more effective. Instead of doing long distance running, try instead to set a time for yourself and do intervals of a comfortable time at different speeds. What I usually do is 45 seconds slow (like almost walking pace) and then 120 seconds sprint then 45 seconds slow etc. etc. for a set amount of time.

What this does, is helps your acceleration, gives you the feel of real ice time shifts, and gives you the proper stamina training you might need. On top of that, it can help you pick up your speed alot. Since I've switched my training style, I've noticed a considerable increase in my speed and also a huge boost to my ability to thrust from my feet to land a big hit.

Hope this helps.

Edit: To answer your question, I don't think any exercise can really hurt your game, however you might find this other style more suitable to your play style. If you're the kind of player like me who starts the first period a little slower and then finishes strong giving everything every shift, you might enjoy HIIT. If you're a player who likes to go out and play hard every shift while conserving your energy for the whole game, you might find a different style more fitting.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
the_speedster

ECLIONS is right.. find a program that works both your fast and slow twitch muscles. There should be more emphasis on the fast twitch ones though (hence hockey players probably shouldn't train like marathoners)

Actually it pays off to train more like a sprinter. Exercises (be they running, biking etc) that empahsize short, quick sustained bursts repeated at least 6 times. You can alternate days in which you train the different muscle types. For me I do sprints and quick feet drills 3-4times a week while endurance type stuff (half hour+ bike rides and such) only 2-3 times.

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:19 AM
firewagonHOCKEY

vCash: 50
You only get an endurance workout every 2nd week and think it is negatively affecting your performance in terms of explosiveness?

In short, no it is not. Thats not very much training at all.

firewagonHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewagonHOCKEY View Post
You only get an endurance workout every 2nd week and think it is negatively affecting your performance in terms of explosiveness?

In short, no it is not. Thats not very much training at all.
That's obviously not the only training I do. Here's a sample cycle of my "program":

Week 1 (4 times a week): 4x15 pushups, 4x20 situps, 3x5 pullups, 3km run (targeting 8:30, actual is more around 12:00-12:30 right now)

Week 2 (3 times a week): 4x20 pushups, 5x20 situps, 3x5 pullups, run (choice of 6km run no target time or 3km in targeted 8:30 depending on my mood, but I generally prefer the 6km)

Week 2 usually involves the bike/skating thing too. So, I try to do my last day of Week 2 on Friday, giving me Saturday to recover.

Old
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
FiveHole23

3km is not much of endurance training, thats like 1.86 miles. Something you may want to try is timed runs instead of a distance. For instance some days go for a relaxing 20 minutes then next go harder(faster) or up hills for 10 minutes. Varying your speed from day to day will help your endurance.

Another thing...

I used to run cross country in high school and I can tell you will not be reaching your goal of 8:30 any time soon.

Considering that the world record time for a 2 mile is 8:04, 8:30 for 1.86 by someone less than amatuer(no offense intended) is going to be near impossible. One thing I learned about cross country that if you want to get anywhere in decreasing your times you dont set your times to be impossible, which you have. You should be setting your goals by like 30 seconds to a minute max.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
MikeD

Your sample cycle contains nothing in the realm of what would be considered training targeted to explosiveness. HITT/Plyometrics are completely missing. Your explosivity is surely lacking(to your potential) because you are completely neglecting that aspect. In fact, your sample Cycle is pretty weak.

Endurance training can mean many things. The specifics of a program are based on the sport in question. When you consider your training think about the demands of your position. If you take a look at the article I posted regarding nutrition you can see how the different energy systems contribute to powering your activities over a specific time frame. 3KM in 12:30 is just under the time limit set for trainees(male) near completion of the US Army Basic training. This is more of a sustained paced jog than a RUN. Your heart rate will increase more and to a higher level in the first 30-40 seconds of your shift in hockey than it will in your entire 3k jog.

Will your "cycle" harm your game? No, its almost insignificant in comparison to the training for any serious hockey. Your harming your game greatly by neglecting to train for the specific demands of the game.

Last edited by MikeD: 07-30-2008 at 05:50 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
noobman

To be perfectly honest, better hockey is just an added bonus for me.

I'm really looking to get in good general condition, and I'd like to have the army as an open option for me once I graduate from university... that's not for another three years though, so I figure it's plenty of time to whip myself into shape.

MikeD, if you have any recommendations for what I could be doing differently, please let me know!

Old
07-31-2008, 06:09 PM
MikeD

First....eliminate the sit-ups. IMHO they are a waste of time. Core training such as with a swiss ball will provide much more benefit.

Download this file: It is a year round training program for the pro/college age players written by Tudor Bomba. It will provide you with a schedule and content that is well rounded that you may adapt to your needs.

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/pro_...te_program.zip

Speed and agility article by Peter Twist: This has a few great example drills:

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/Speed_Agility.pdf

Stretching is onether aspect of training that many fail to give enough time and effort to. Proper daily stretching will help you get the most from your efforts.

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/stre...20appleton.pdf

take a look through the catagories found on this page: http://athleticstage.uop.edu/Athleti...ion%20Menu.htm

Try to select a couple from each group to develop a rounded program. Keep in mind that plyometric/explosivity training is something you need to be a regular part of your routine. Gains made will be lost quickly when you drop them for a week or two.

If the Army is something your seriously considering you absolutly need to add more substance to your program. there are many things that require long term endurance and they are also many things that will require burst speed/explosivity. While basic training will be one of the most miserable times you will endure as part of a training program, you can make the experience more tolerable.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
That's obviously not the only training I do. Here's a sample cycle of my "program":

Week 1 (4 times a week): 4x15 pushups, 4x20 situps, 3x5 pullups, 3km run (targeting 8:30, actual is more around 12:00-12:30 right now)

Week 2 (3 times a week): 4x20 pushups, 5x20 situps, 3x5 pullups, run (choice of 6km run no target time or 3km in targeted 8:30 depending on my mood, but I generally prefer the 6km)

Week 2 usually involves the bike/skating thing too. So, I try to do my last day of Week 2 on Friday, giving me Saturday to recover.
Instead of doing a set amount of pushups (or any of the other excercises) try to do as many as you can in a set amount of time. Say for example 60 seconds. As you get stronger you'll be able to do more in that amount of time, so you are always pushing yourself. If you start getting comfortable during that 60 second span, increase it to 90, or maybe a full 2 minutes. The point is you push yourself to do as many as you can, instead of trying to just do a set amount.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
3km is not much of endurance training, thats like 1.86 miles. Something you may want to try is timed runs instead of a distance. For instance some days go for a relaxing 20 minutes then next go harder(faster) or up hills for 10 minutes. Varying your speed from day to day will help your endurance.

Another thing...

I used to run cross country in high school and I can tell you will not be reaching your goal of 8:30 any time soon.

Considering that the world record time for a 2 mile is 8:04, 8:30 for 1.86 by someone less than amatuer(no offense intended) is going to be near impossible. One thing I learned about cross country that if you want to get anywhere in decreasing your times you dont set your times to be impossible, which you have. You should be setting your goals by like 30 seconds to a minute max.
+1. Not only that, but you'll need to run a whole lot more if you want to do that. I read about a US miler who ran about 100 miles a week in order to run 1 in 3:50.

Not saying you need to run anywhere near that, but you probably want to try to get 20-30km(12-18 miles) a week.

One of the things I picked up from triahtlon training the last couple of years is to build a base, and then go for speed. So what the long distance running will do for you is help burn off any excess flab. I would say once you can do 5K in 22 minutes or less. There's different ways you can do workouts, and throwing in busts of speed won't hurt, but basically you need to add a lot more running if you want to get in shape IMHO. Be it intervals, or just going out for a run, but you need to get out there more.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote