HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Parrish On Waivers!

Old
07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
We are around 7 mil under the cap at about 49 mil in salaries. Plenty of room but will Cohen okay the extra salary???
Well, that's a different discussion

07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Anod

Quote:
We are around 7 mil under the cap at about 49 mil in salaries. Plenty of room but will Cohen okay the extra salary??? It shouldn't be a problem if we're trying to dump defensemen, especially Van Ryn and his salary.
Until we make the playoffs, he won't approve getting that close to the cap. I wouldn't approve it if I were him either. It is too dangerous. If we make the playoffs next year and some of our youth begin to step up into star roles, then I guarantee he will start spending to the cap.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
He rarely plays a full season...actually I don't think he has yet. I'm gunna pass.
That's ok, he can start the season and then when he can't play Frolik is brouht up for some playing time. It works! Comon' JM please don't pass up on Parrish!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
parrish is a streaky scorer. i believe he's overpaid. i'd like to have him at a lower salary, say 1.5 mill.
Yeah he is streaky but can still pot 20+goals for us and IMO would be a great pickup. One stat that goes unticed is all the goals that go in because Parrish is standing in front of the net blocking the goalies vision and thats something we need more of for sure!

Old
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Parrish would probably be useful atleast for this year at that price. The question of course is how much would decline over the entire contract? That being said it isn't that much cash and he could be stumpelized when he starts to decline beyond usefulness.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
And with the roster mostly set, even $2.65M over three years wouldn't hamstring the team that badly financially. I believe they're still well under the cap.
Yeah, but will Cohen approve an extra 2.65 mil in salary? It seems to me the payroll alloted for this season is around 50 mil. If we could trade Van Ryn's salary for a pick, then JM might possibly pick him up, but by that time Parrish will have already long been bought out or claimed. In the best case scenario, he'll be a UFA, but then you have to compete with a lot of other teams for his services. Some would say just add him now, and worry about moving Van Ryn or Skrastins later. But there's no guarantee we'll be able to move those guys.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah, but will Cohen approve an extra 2.65 mil in salary? It seems to me the payroll alloted for this season is around 50 mil. If we could trade Van Ryn's salary for a pick, then JM might possibly pick him up, but by that time Parrish will have already long been bought out or claimed. In the best case scenario, he'll be a UFA, but then you have to compete with a lot of other teams for his services. Some would say just add him now, and worry about moving Van Ryn or Skrastins later. But there's no guarantee we'll be able to move those guys.
It could also be that JM could possibly go to Cohen and ask to spend closer to the cap to get another scorer. His leverage would be that if he had another scorer it would improve the chances of us being competitive and that would improve our chance to resign Jaybo. Cohen might agree to it if it helps the chances of Jaybo resigning which IMO it would. I think Parrish would be a perfect fit coming back here.

Old
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
sinDer

I can't believe the roster is "set"

This team desperately needs at least one more player capable of scoring goals

Healthy, Parrish could score 25, maybe 30 goals, that would be more than welcome

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
It could also be that JM could possibly go to Cohen and ask to spend closer to the cap to get another scorer. His leverage would be that if he had another scorer it would improve the chances of us being competitive and that would improve our chance to resign Jaybo. Cohen might agree to it if it helps the chances of Jaybo resigning which IMO it would. I think Parrish would be a perfect fit coming back here.
I wish it were that easy, and I would love it if Cohen did allow a higher payroll, but I'm not holding my breath. He's never spent to the cap, I don't think it's because he's been holding back, I just don't think he has the funds.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah, but will Cohen approve an extra 2.65 mil in salary?
You apparently missed seeing that FlaPanthers7 already asked that question, and I already dodged answering it

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Parrish would probably be useful atleast for this year at that price. The question of course is how much would decline over the entire contract? That being said it isn't that much cash and he could be stumpelized when he starts to decline beyond usefulness.
He's already been released, so perhaps a cheaper deal could be arranged...I'll get right on pressuring JM to do that

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
He's already been released, so perhaps a cheaper deal could be arranged...I'll get right on pressuring JM to do that
Right, when I saw he had 3 years left that made me say no chance but now that something else can be worked out we're back to square 1 with whether or not Cohen will allow a salary increase.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
I can't believe the roster is "set"

This team desperately needs at least one more player capable of scoring goals

Healthy, Parrish could score 25, maybe 30 goals, that would be more than welcome
It can never be "set", if something good comes along. And we surely do have holes to fill up front.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Pukboy5kroner

I could see Parish being an easy fit. Pick him up for a year, plug him on the 2nd/3rd line and give him some pp time. Maybe he can bounce in a Dvorak shot or two, as Radek took about 100 shots too many last year.

This whole "the roster is set" angle seems a bit unambitious.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Would love to see Parrish come back. Honestly, I don't understand why Minny placed him on waivers (with the intention of buying him out). Hes a solid 40-50 point guy and can play both ways. He'd be a good asset here, a natural fit with Stillman, and it would allow us to better develop Frolik in the "A" before bringing him up.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Would love to see Parrish come back. Honestly, I don't understand why Minny placed him on waivers (with the intention of buying him out). Hes a solid 40-50 point guy and can play both ways. He'd be a good asset here, a natural fit with Stillman, and it would allow us to better develop Frolik in the "A" before bringing him up.
Place Olesz on that line too and we have our 2nd scoring line which should mesh well together considering Stillman is a great passer, Olesz a great finisher & Parrish a grinder who stands in front of the net to block the goalies view. Perfect line for this team if you ask me.

Old
07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Place Olesz on that line too and we have our 2nd scoring line which should mesh well together considering Stillman is a great passer, Olesz a great finisher & Parrish a grinder who stands in front of the net to block the goalies view. Perfect line for this team if you ask me.
Olesz is not a great finisher. Not the least bit, not when he barely shoots the puck.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:00 PM
PanthersRule96

Parrish was quoted recently as saying he loved his time in Florida and would always have a soft spot in his heart as it was the first place he played. I don't remember where I read that though.

Anyways, I think he'd be a perfect pickup at the right price. I doubt it'll happen but he brings leadership, grit, and scoring ability, plus he'd probably be willing to come back here. He could rejuvinate his career for us and could be a big part of the offense.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Who plays center on this line though? I like the idea of horton at center, with Olesz and Stillman. Parrish could take Horton's spot on the Weiss line.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Parrish was quoted recently as saying he loved his time in Florida and would always have a soft spot in his heart as it was the first place he played. I don't remember where I read that though.

Anyways, I think he'd be a perfect pickup at the right price. I doubt it'll happen but he brings leadership, grit, and scoring ability, plus he'd probably be willing to come back here. He could rejuvinate his career for us and could be a big part of the offense.
I had the pleasure of running into Parrish in Washington in the city last year when the Wild were in twon playing the caps, but he was out with the flu and didn't play in that game or the one here against us that week. Really nice guy, was happy to meet someone who remembered his panther days. Says he absolutely loved his time here, and the fact that he could go to the games and practice in shorts. No reason not to pick him up since we need scoring and we need forwards. He is not a center which we really need but it's clear that martin thinks Horton should be that scoring center and I agree. Maybe stillman can influence him like he suposedly did for Staal.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
We are around 7 mil under the cap at about 49 mil in salaries. Plenty of room but will Cohen okay the extra salary??? It shouldn't be a problem if we're trying to dump defensemen, especially Van Ryn and his salary.
Once again helloooo LA and Atlanta..............I mean it's ok to be under the cap if you have a chance to grab guys like Murray and Parrish among others that will be Cap casualities

I think he is worth the 2.5 million for scoring 16 goals........not great but descent

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
I had the pleasure of running into Parrish in Washington in the city last year when the Wild were in twon playing the caps, but he was out with the flu and didn't play in that game or the one here against us that week. Really nice guy, was happy to meet someone who remembered his panther days. Says he absolutely loved his time here, and the fact that he could go to the games and practice in shorts. No reason not to pick him up since we need scoring and we need forwards. He is not a center which we really need but it's clear that martin thinks Horton should be that scoring center and I agree. Maybe stillman can influence him like he suposedly did for Staal.
Since he's cleared waivers he's getting a nice buyout so we may be able to snag him on the cheap which suits our organization.

Old
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Panthers_Fan

Signing Parrish seems like an obvious signing. The guy likes South Florida, liked by Panther fans, can be had for a cheap contract, and is a second line player. Plus, he's 31 so he has a lot of hockey left. If you look at his stats he also stays out of the penalty box, which is a good thing.

Top 6
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Olesz-Stillman-Parrish

Much better in my opinion

Maybe signing him will also keep Matthias and Frolik in the AHL which I think is good for their development. Then if someone gets injured we actually have two quality callups who can get a taste of the NHL but spend the majority of their time hopefully dominating the AHL.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Olesz is not a great finisher. Not the least bit, not when he barely shoots the puck.
I disagree, Olesz has shown flashes of brilliance in the few years he's been in the league, but Martin (not surprisingly) has turned him into a defensive forward, which obviously is needed but under Deboer I'm hoping his speed and finesse will finally be let loose and I think Olesz is a guy who can put up 30 goals. Himself and Booth will hopefully be those secondary pure scorers that are needed behind Horton and of course Weiss, who I think will be more of a playmaker (if anyone isn't a good finisher it's Weiss, but he's smart and patient with the puck and can find those lanes and make a good pass, much like Stillman.

On Parrish - The guy has scored 30 goals once in his career and hasn't scored 20 in 3 or 4 years if I'm not mistaken. PASS

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:50 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I disagree, Olesz has shown flashes of brilliance in the few years he's been in the league, but Martin (not surprisingly) has turned him into a defensive forward, which obviously is needed but under Deboer I'm hoping his speed and finesse will finally be let loose and I think Olesz is a guy who can put up 30 goals. Himself and Booth will hopefully be those secondary pure scorers that are needed behind Horton and of course Weiss, who I think will be more of a playmaker (if anyone isn't a good finisher it's Weiss, but he's smart and patient with the puck and can find those lanes and make a good pass, much like Stillman.

On Parrish - The guy has scored 30 goals once in his career and hasn't scored 20 in 3 or 4 years if I'm not mistaken. PASS
Olesz can be a good finisher and he's willing to go to the net though he is more of a skilled guy - I like how aggressive he's becoming. Keep in mind just how young he is and you see why the Panther signed him to the deal that they did.

Parrish plays a similar net-crashing game and we need that type of presence because it is lacking beyond Booth & Rusty. Also, there is a bit of psychological factor to signing Parrish. Most FAs don't want to come here but you have a guy who enjoyed his time here and would likely come back. It also sends a message across the locker room that this team expects to compete now.