HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zhamnov to Philly

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2004, 05:25 PM
  #1
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Zhamnov to Philly

Don't know if it is official yet, but it sounds as though it is on the trade board - Nick Kypryos saying it on SportsNet.

Guys it is over.

JF is a flake.

Philly is a generation better than the Leafs, and now with Ottawa getting Bondra, they will be too scary. He can't beat Laich and a 2nd? sheesh.

JF is infatuated with Gonchar who more than 60% of this board (unofficial ) says it is the wrong move. I have not heard any sports analyst worth anything say that Gonchar is a good fit for Toronto either. Pierre McGuire said he is a little confused about the rumor.

JF is getting served. It really is embarassing.

wasting time is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:31 PM
  #2
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
How do you know Ferguson wont' do anything from now until the deadline?

You don't.

The Leafs dont need Bondra nor do they need Zhamnov.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:32 PM
  #3
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Don't know if it is official yet, but it sounds as though it is on the trade board - Nick Kypryos saying it on SportsNet.

Guys it is over.

JF is a flake.

Philly is a generation better than the Leafs, and now with Ottawa getting Bondra, they will be too scary. He can't beat Laich and a 2nd? sheesh.

JF is infatuated with Gonchar who more than 60% of this board (unofficial ) says it is the wrong move. I have not heard any sports analyst worth anything say that Gonchar is a good fit for Toronto either. Pierre McGuire said he is a little confused about the rumor.

JF is getting served. It really is embarassing.
Bondra and Zhamnov are an even worse fit in Toronto then Gonchar.
Let the other teams patch up their rosters as they choose, I'd prefer for Ferguson to focus on fixing our weaknesses not trying to outbid other teams for players that are of dubious usefulness to us.

__________________
Welcome to Leafs Nation, leave your common sense at the door.
Rand is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:33 PM
  #4
ComrieFanatic
Registered User
 
ComrieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
How do you know Ferguson wont' do anything from now until the deadline?

You don't.

The Leafs dont need Bondra nor do they need Zhamnov.
i agree, we dont need either and i dont think we should pull a Yankee move by adding players just so another team cant get them.

Trade is Official
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=72844

ComrieFanatic is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:35 PM
  #5
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Bondra and Zhamnov are an even worse fit in Toronto then Gonchar.
Let the other teams patch up their rosters as they choose, I'd prefer for Ferguson to focus on fixing our weaknesses not trying to outbid other teams for players that are of dubious usefulness to us.
Yeah, i think the Leafs just need a strong D-Man and they should be geared for the playoff run. And by strong I mean crease clearing, not gonchar.

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:38 PM
  #6
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
One of the softest players in the game.

And his playoff stats are super weak (5 points in 17 games).

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:38 PM
  #7
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
it would had killed mike smith to had traded away his baby shamnov

Im glad we are not in the market for that type of player

sullivan on the other hand i feel is a useful offensive sparkplug

I owuld had loved to reaquire him

maybe when hes a free agent!

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:39 PM
  #8
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
-an a bit too emotional reaction to wasting time's opinion
Well said. This whining brat attitude some Leafs fans chose to employ is a joke.

Not every player traded has to become a Leaf.


Last edited by DutchLeafsfan: 02-19-2004 at 06:04 PM.
think-blue- is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:41 PM
  #9
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic
i agree, we dont need either and i dont think we should pull a Yankee move by adding players just so another team cant get them.

Trade is Official
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=72844
Damn... Philly ripped Chicago IMHO.
Surprised no one was going to put forth a better offer.

Vandermeer will never amount to more then a good #6 D-Man IMHO. Unless those future considerations turn into something hefty this is a steal.
I'd love to hear what those "Future Considerations are in this instance.

Zhamnov's a capable 60pt Center and should fit in nicely with Philly.

Rand is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:44 PM
  #10
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Yeah, i think the Leafs just need a strong D-Man and they should be geared for the playoff run. And by strong I mean crease clearing, not gonchar.
My thought process exactly.

Rand is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:45 PM
  #11
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
My thought process exactly.
But i'm a Flyer fan so here's hoping it doesn't happen :p

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:47 PM
  #12
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Think about getting Mogilny back as our trade, without having to give up any assets.

 
Old
02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
  #13
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
do u think philly wants zhamnov

or do u think they will package him off the way they did with comrie

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:49 PM
  #14
Stajan_Steen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Zhamnov's stats are the weakest ever. He's never passed the 72 point mark, is soft, takes games off and is prone it injury. Didn't he have some off ice problems too last year?


Last edited by Stajan_Steen: 02-19-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Stajan_Steen is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:53 PM
  #15
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
do u think philly wants zhamnov

or do u think they will package him off the way they did with comrie
They definitely want him.
With Primeau out indefinitely, and Roenick potentially gone for the season and reportedly considering retiring (Though I sincerely doubt he will) they could definitely use a top notch Center.
Plus given that he's an UFA after the season they don't have to worry about any long term contractural obligations to him.

Rand is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:55 PM
  #16
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
do u think philly wants zhamnov

or do u think they will package him off the way they did with comrie
What do you think?

Really.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:57 PM
  #17
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Damn... Philly ripped Chicago IMHO.
Surprised no one was going to put forth a better offer.

Vandermeer will never amount to more then a good #6 D-Man IMHO. Unless those future considerations turn into something hefty this is a steal.
I'd love to hear what those "Future Considerations are in this instance.

Zhamnov's a capable 60pt Center and should fit in nicely with Philly.
Flyers acquire Zhamnov
TSN.ca Staff
2/19/2004

The Chicago Blackhawks, sitting near the bottom of the NHL cellar, have traded forward Alexei Zhamnov and a fourth round pick in 2004 to the Flyers in exchange for Jim Vandermeer, Colin Fraser, and a second round pick in the 2004.

The Flyers who dealt Mike Comrie on February 9th, became desperate at centre with Jeremy Roenick most likely out for the season and Keith Primeau out indefinitely with a head injury.

Blackhawks general manager Bob Pulford received several calls for the veteran centre this season and was reportedly undecided on whether or not to trade him or sign him to a contract extension earlier this year.

Zhamnov, who will earn $4.5-million this season, can become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The 33-year old veteran forward has played eight seasons in Chicago since being acquired from Phoenix in a trade for Jeremy Roenick in 1996.

In 74 games with the Hawks last year, he finished with 15 goals and 58 points.

More to follow.

Mess is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
  #18
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
But i'm a Flyer fan so here's hoping it doesn't happen :p
In that case hang around here more often, we could use a few more posters around here like you

Besides, given time I'm sure you could be brought to see the light.... (Leafs Fan!)

Rand is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:03 PM
  #19
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Can't see how this could hurt Boooby's team for this year. He fell on his butt with Burke trade thus far but didn't give up anything he was using this year for a competent Zhamnov. I never like it when Philly improves itself in even the smallest way.

Augustus is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:06 PM
  #20
DutchLeafsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajan_Steen
Zhamnov's stats are the weakest ever. He's never passed the 72 point mark, is soft, takes games off and is prone it injury. Didn't he have some off ice problems too last year?
I believe he was arrested for DUI, not sure though...

As for the rest, as usual I tend to agree with those who consider some here to be overreacting

DutchLeafsfan is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:10 PM
  #21
BlueAndWhite
Registered User
 
BlueAndWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,159
vCash: 500
I think the fact that Philly did not give up much of value (from initial reports) - makes it a good trade for them.

I'm not sure the extent of Primeau's injury but with him AND Roenick out - Zhamnov will help them secure regular season wins at least.

Like people have stated his playoff stats are really weak. Robert Reichel trounces him in playoff production.

BlueAndWhite is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 06:55 PM
  #22
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 500
I think the point in all this is that two other GM's in the eastern conference saw a need on their team and went out and fixed it (or attempted to). Meanwhile, we have JFJ seeing a need on defence and he gets "The Drake". Can you see why some people would be annoyed? Though I don't know that it is all JFJ's fault.. I can't see ML$E allowing him to add salary. Have to keep those profit margins high you know.

shakes is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 07:04 PM
  #23
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,133
vCash: 500
suprising
not hitchcocks kind of player

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 07:12 PM
  #24
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
I think the point in all this is that two other GM's in the eastern conference saw a need on their team and went out and fixed it (or attempted to). Meanwhile, we have JFJ seeing a need on defence and he gets "The Drake". Can you see why some people would be annoyed? Though I don't know that it is all JFJ's fault.. I can't see ML$E allowing him to add salary. Have to keep those profit margins high you know.
Who said he's done? If his approach is to be patient, and you know, possibly save a few assets and try and get players more cheap, then theres nothing wrong with that. Im sure Gonchar could be had if JFJ agreed to give up Colaiacovo, a 1st and Steen... Doesn't mean you pay that price.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
  #25
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
How do you know Ferguson wont' do anything from now until the deadline?

You don't.

The Leafs dont need Bondra nor do they need Zhamnov.
I don't want Zhamnov. I wanted Bondra though - just to keep him away from Ottawa - the one team I did not want to get Bondra.

Even without roenick Philly is my pick out of the East - although Bondra closes the gap significantly. With Zhamnov they are very very good.

Toronto goes for Gonchar? Don't get it?

wasting time is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.