HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eberle and Nash at WJC Dev. Camp - Report from Day 3

Old
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
GagnerforGod

vCash: 500
Eberle and Nash at WJC Dev. Camp - Report from Day 3

So went and checked out the final game today. Didn't have as great seats as last time, but overall, the camp was really just phenomenal. Today, alot of players were being alot more physical, trying to fight their way into the lineup. Schenn laid a couple big hits on Myers, which was really cool to see, like watching a lumberjack saw through a tree. Anyway, on to our boys, Eberle and Nash.

Eberle played on the 4th line RW with Caporusso and Byron, while Nash was playing 2nd line C with Ennis and Terry.

Nash - was very solid defensively once more. Played a very similar game to the one on Sunday, but looked alot more confident with the puck, was making excellent plays around the net, and always seemed to be in the right position. He needs confidence in his shot. In fact, his entire line would control the play in the zone for 40 seconds and not take a single shot. I'm not one to scream shoot, but they all seemed to be looking for the perfect play rather than take a decent-but-not-perfect shot.

Eberle - slightly maddening for the first two periods. Carried the puck out of the zone a couple times in the first, didn't really get a shot off. Coughed up the puck in the 2nd, which indirectly led to Red going up 2-0. Wasn't looking too good. Then, everything just clicked. In the third, he was the most dangerous player out on the ice. He had the puck on a string, he was carrying pucks into the offensive zone with authority, set up beautiful plays where if he he was on a line with better linemates that could finish play, would have easily gotten at least 2 assists.

He also got robbed horribly by Jake Allen; he rushed into the zone, passed the puck off to Byron, and went behind the net. Byron then passed it to him, where he deked out a defencemen, carried it to the right side of the boards and then passed it back to Caporusso, who had moved behind the net, and then circled in front. He was left completely wide open, and Caporusso passed it to him, where he proceeded to outwait the goalie and picked the top right corner of the net. Jake Allen managed to get his glove up and knock it out of the air. Me and my friend who went to check him out had already jumped up and had to sit back down in shame.

Eberle was easily the strongest player for white during that 3rd period; he beat out Tavares, Turris, and all the bigger names, as really the most clutch player for those last 20 minutes. I like this pick the more I see him, and I think we got a real steal at 22.

We'll see how the lineup ends up panning out, but I think that Nash is a shoe-in for 3rd line C/RW. Eberle may be on the outside looking in, because even though he had one GREAT period, he wasn't amazing during the first two today or in the first game. I don't really know what happened in the 2nd one. But he could easily slot in as the 4th line RW or in the PB in case of injuries.

I'm not too sure about a proposed lineup, since I spent way too much time just watching Eberle and Nash, and not paying attention to anyone else on the ice. I was probably the least excited person in the arena when Tavares scored. I do feel that Nash will make the team for sure, and Eberle ought to. But that might just be Oilers bias.

GagnerforGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagnerforGod View Post
So went and checked out the final game today. Didn't have as great seats as last time, but overall, the camp was really just phenomenal. Today, alot of players were being alot more physical, trying to fight their way into the lineup. Schenn laid a couple big hits on Myers, which was really cool to see, like watching a lumberjack saw through a tree. Anyway, on to our boys, Eberle and Nash.

Eberle played on the 4th line RW with Caporusso and Byron, while Nash was playing 2nd line C with Ennis and Terry.

Nash - was very solid defensively once more. Played a very similar game to the one on Sunday, but looked alot more confident with the puck, was making excellent plays around the net, and always seemed to be in the right position. He needs confidence in his shot. In fact, his entire line would control the play in the zone for 40 seconds and not take a single shot. I'm not one to scream shoot, but they all seemed to be looking for the perfect play rather than take a decent-but-not-perfect shot.

Eberle - slightly maddening for the first two periods. Carried the puck out of the zone a couple times in the first, didn't really get a shot off. Coughed up the puck in the 2nd, which indirectly led to Red going up 2-0. Wasn't looking too good. Then, everything just clicked. In the third, he was the most dangerous player out on the ice. He had the puck on a string, he was carrying pucks into the offensive zone with authority, set up beautiful plays where if he he was on a line with better linemates that could finish play, would have easily gotten at least 2 assists.

He also got robbed horribly by Jake Allen; he rushed into the zone, passed the puck off to Byron, and went behind the net. Byron then passed it to him, where he deked out a defencemen, carried it to the right side of the boards and then passed it back to Caporusso, who had moved behind the net, and then circled in front. He was left completely wide open, and Caporusso passed it to him, where he proceeded to outwait the goalie and picked the top right corner of the net. Jake Allen managed to get his glove up and knock it out of the air. Me and my friend who went to check him out had already jumped up and had to sit back down in shame.

Eberle was easily the strongest player for white during that 3rd period; he beat out Tavares, Turris, and all the bigger names, as really the most clutch player for those last 20 minutes. I like this pick the more I see him, and I think we got a real steal at 22.

We'll see how the lineup ends up panning out, but I think that Nash is a shoe-in for 3rd line C/RW. Eberle may be on the outside looking in, because even though he had one GREAT period, he wasn't amazing during the first two today or in the first game. I don't really know what happened in the 2nd one. But he could easily slot in as the 4th line RW or in the PB in case of injuries.

I'm not too sure about a proposed lineup, since I spent way too much time just watching Eberle and Nash, and not paying attention to anyone else on the ice. I was probably the least excited person in the arena when Tavares scored. I do feel that Nash will make the team for sure, and Eberle ought to. But that might just be Oilers bias.
Excellent report, Thankyou!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:07 AM
VelvetJones

Thanks for the report. I don't expect Eberle to make it as it is usually a 19 year old tourney unless you are a superstar.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Offshore Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Thanks for the report. I don't expect Eberle to make it as it is usually a 19 year old tourney unless you are a superstar.
Agreed - but flashes of brilliance playing with mostly seasoned guys a year older is most encouraging.

Great avatar, BTW - I feel like ordering a pizza!

Thanks for the recon, GFG - maybe in a couple years, you'll be EFG?

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:27 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Probably true but I have to believe it will be a relatively thin class with all the graduations to the NHL that should happen and Eberle's success at the world level, he has a better shot then he would have in previous years.

I just want one of them to make it so I have an Oiler to root for in the Tourney again.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Oilerdiehard

Really nice report GfG and it is appreciated.

With the Eberle on the 4th line comment. For some reason it made me flash back a bunch of years ago watching the World Juniors in Red Deer. There was this awkward skinny kid on the 4th line that year for Canada that some thought would not make the team named Ryan Smyth. Believe it or not in one game he scored a goal on a slap shot from near the center line. Too bad it was only against Germany in a blow out.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
GagnerforGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore Oil View Post
Agreed - but flashes of brilliance playing with mostly seasoned guys a year older is most encouraging.

Great avatar, BTW - I feel like ordering a pizza!

Thanks for the recon, GFG - maybe in a couple years, you'll be EFG?
I think I'll have to keep the alliteration going and try for JordanforJesus.

Old
07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Showerhead

Quote:
It might be a 19 year old's tournament to lead or to dominate, but don't a lot of players make the team at 18? Cogliano definitely did, while Gagner made it at 17 (though wasn't a big factor).

edit: Gagner's 17 year old team (2006/2007) had Gagner at 17 and just three 18 year olds.

edit again: this most recent team had eight 18 year olds and one Stamkos.

I won't continue to look but it seems that yeah, the 19s outnumber the 18s at about 2:1.

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM
GMofOilers

Yeah im not buying that Eberle is on the outside looking in. He had a tremdous U18 and was a clutch player for them in that tournament. That automatically gives him a upper hand. Expect Turris to play in Phoniex and that will open another spot.

I see Eberle in the 4 th line role for this game because Hockey Canada more than likely wanted to see how he did because it will be a similar situation to what he will be playing this Dec.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
OttawaOilFan

I was at the game aswell and generally i'd agree with the initial analysis.
i was really pleased with Nash, he was strong on the puck, positionally sound and had a very consistent game.
as for eberle he definitly had a horrible first two periods and did indeed pick up his play in the 3rd but i don't think he was team white's best player. he may have played better than turris and tavares but tavares scored and turris hit a crossbar on an amazng wrist shot so even with bad games those two looked far more dangerous. it seemed to me like eberle was a bit overmatched physically, he had trouble getting into good scoring areas.
in my opinion eberle will not make this team, but will be strongly favoured for next year's team as a 19 yr old. Nash i thought played well enough to earn a spot low on the roster but he'll definitly be hard-pressed to make the team

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
GagnerforGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Yeah im not buying that Eberle is on the outside looking in. He had a tremdous U18 and was a clutch player for them in that tournament. That automatically gives him a upper hand. Expect Turris to play in Phoniex and that will open another spot.

I see Eberle in the 4 th line role for this game because Hockey Canada more than likely wanted to see how he did because it will be a similar situation to what he will be playing this Dec.
The reason he may be pushed off is because this team has alot of depth at center, and that Nash was tried out on the RW, and did very well. That could make the lineup go Bailey Hodgson Sutter Couture down the middle with Nash on the right side. This eats up on of the spots that would've gone to Eberle, and Tavares and Nemisz will also make the team. That leaves the last spot to go to one of three: Eberle, DiDomenico, and Terry, and both of those guys also had pretty good performances on Day 3.

Old
07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
OttawaOilFan

i forgot to mention another observation i made...GET PIETRANGELO!

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post

i was really pleased with Nash, he was strong on the puck, positionally sound and had a very consistent game.
C Riley Nash, 2008 (Edmonton)- The Second-Rookie Team selection who finished in second in team scoring for Cornell has shone as a defensive ace in camp. His back-checking is a thing of beauty, and has allowed his line-mates to pinch.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1264/1/

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
C Riley Nash, 2008 (Edmonton)- The Second-Rookie Team selection who finished in second in team scoring for Cornell has shone as a defensive ace in camp. His back-checking is a thing of beauty, and has allowed his line-mates to pinch.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1264/1/
If he can score 40 or so points in 30 games for Cornell next season... man, I think we've got a gooder.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Denny Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
i forgot to mention another observation i made...GET PIETRANGELO!
for a blues fan, could you elaborate on how he looked out there?

it would be much appreciated

Last edited by Denny Lemieux: 08-03-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Denny Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote