HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Salary Cap Update

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Salary Cap Update

A pretty big indicator of how far out of whack the salary structure in the NHL is these days came up the other day. The NFL announced that their cap for the upcoming season is $80 million to $81 million.

$80 million for about 50 players, counting reserves.

Now how can the Rangers justify $90 million to 15 guys? Or the Avs, Blues, Wings, Leafs and Stars their massive salaries? It's ridiculous. Hell the Detroit Red Wings goalies make up nearly a quarter of the Detroit Lions Total Cap Budget! Jaromir Jagr makes as much as the offensive line for the Giants!

Can the NFL handle these salaries? With their huge TV contract, minimum 8 games at about 80,000 per game plus merchandise, absolutely. Can the NHL sustain it's salaries? A TV contract that barely covers operating costs, 42 games at maybe 10,000 per game plus merchandise. Not a chance.

Salaries are on a downward trend in football, baseball and basketball. Can hockey be that far behind? And if it isn't, will it survive in it's current form?

Old
02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
craig1

53 players to be exact....

$80 million/53 players = 1,566,037 on average per player

And the NFL's revenues are enormous compared to the NHL.

That's like comparing Wal-Mart revenues to a retail outlet with 5 locations!

Old
02-20-2004, 03:42 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Oh, you guys havent heard??

A-Rod to the Yanks!

190+ M for 23 roster players I think...

Go figure that!

The next richest team? Bostom Red Sox, 115M......that is whopping 165% higher than the next highes salary and , oh, and 345% higher than the next division winner (Twins)....... and 766% higher than the Brewers, the lowest salary team I believe of roughly 30M.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:03 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNucksFan

The next richest team? Bostom Red Sox, 115M......that is whopping 165% higher than the next highes salary and

That's 65% higher thn Boston's payroll.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Malefic74

Quote:

A-Rod to the Yanks!

Go figure that!

The next richest team? Bostom Red Sox, 115M......that is whopping 165% higher than the next highes salary and , oh, and 345% higher than the next division winner (Twins)....... and 766% higher than the Brewers, the lowest salary team I believe of roughly 30M.
Total value of all the contracts the Yanks have right now is somewhere around $257 million. If nothing else the NHL should learn from baseball's mistake. Luxury Taxes and revenue sharing are band-aids when they are applied by themselves. Applied in conjunction with a soft OR hard cap (NBA & NFL) they are additional revenue streams for the health of the whole league.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:34 PM
lakings87

Yes, but the MLB teams that have that salary also make much more money from TV contracts and attendance.

Old
02-21-2004, 12:24 PM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:

A-Rod to the Yanks!

Go figure that!

I couldnt have pointed to a better reason why the NHL needs a cap then this.

The NHL is heading to MLB level. There is no interest in baseball outside Boston and New York. In a way I think the mismanagment of baseball will help hockey. There is no way they can watch that mess of a league and continue on their present course.

There is no way an NHL team can spend NFL money on payroll and be making money. Thats the problem with the NHL. The NFL is spending NFL revenues on payroll. The NHL has deep pocket owners spending their own money on payroll.

Closed Thread