HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Filppula re-signs 5yr $15mil

Old
07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
champs83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Oh my God, Eklund got it right.

Looks like a solid deal.
i was thinking the same thing...

champs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
How about a MonteCristo from the now dead Bennigan's restaurant?

I had one of those once, i could feel my arteries harden as i ate

As for the deal i really like it. Like the Kronwall deal were paying for potiental but in a couple years this could be a huge steal.

If the Wings do need to clear space i too think Lilja and/or Hudler will be dealt. I say Hulder cause while he only makes a million this year he'll be a RFA next year and will be due for a raise. And Lilja was signed because Holland didn't think Stuart would accept their offer that they knew was under market value.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FissionFire

Identical contract to the one they got Kronwall to sign. I never really expected a deal this long but I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
They'd be beyond moronic to dump Sammy before Hudler. If they trade Lilja, then they bring up Meech full time which makes sammy expendable on the 2nd unit PP.
You forget the dreaded "right hand shot" syndrome Babcock has. Meech is a lefty, so if they move Samuelsson that means either Lebda or Chelios is likely playing that point on the 2nd PP and that's not a recipe for success.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Identical contract to the one they got Kronwall to sign. I never really expected a deal this long but I love it.

You forget the dreaded "right hand shot" syndrome Babcock has. Meech is a lefty, so if they move Samuelsson that means either Lebda or Chelios is likely playing that point on the 2nd PP and that's not a recipe for success.
Lebda is a lefty as well. If Samuelsson goes, either Stuart or Meech would take his spot.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:41 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post

It would come down to Holland's decision - not Babcocks - in dire straits. You dont trade a younger, more productive forward whom you can take to arbitration for a 1-2 year deal in his contract year for a guy that is poised to be a UFA and will undoubtedly receive better offers than the ones the Wings are willing to give next season. The Wings somehow managed with Schneider and Lidstrom *gasp* both being lefties.

At any rate, it won't come to that. One think being overlooked is that Ericsson's 900k thus far is being calculated into the cap. He won't be playing NHL puck full time next year. Not even half-time. He's #1 on the call-up list, but we have depth there for injuries. Detroit has an additional 610k, and given that both Ericsson and Helm will spend the majority of the year with the Griffins, that gives Detroit 1.5M to work with under the cap. They trade Lilja (1.25) and replace him with Meech (483k) or Quincey (~600k) and they've got plenty of room to re-sign Cheli and Downey/Mac.

They could trade Lilja and potentially add Meech (483k) Cheli (750-800k), Downey (475k, 2 way) and Mac (475k, 2 way), and with that they re-sign all players with at least a good 650k to spare (as Downey and Mac wont fully account on the cap).

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Blind squirrels find nuts sometimes.
I admit, I laughed

I don't know, $3 million per year!!!
Hopefully he will turn out just like the Kronwall deal

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post
The Wings need one more forward under contract for a roster spot to be done.....I'm just going off of the numbers on NHLnumbers.com
That's your problem right there.

The Wings don't have to carry 23 guys - they'll carry Meech as a 7th defenseman on the "OMGZ, HE'LL GET CLAIMED OFF WAIVERS!" idea [personally, I think he clears, no problem], and Helm can easily go back to Grand Rapids so they can carry Chelios as an 8th defenseman. [I have the Wings carrying 13 forwards right now just for the sake of balance.] They could just as easily buyout Mikael Samuelsson in 3 days [this might not be that far-fetched] and save themselves $800,000 with which they can sign Chelios and McCarty.

The real question is how many players they plan on carrying on the roster - because they can open up cap space accordingly depending on who they don't carry as extras.

07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's actually not too bad when it comes to actual signings.

The potential trades though...

Which leaves me to believe his ''sources'' are mostly from the agent side.
Yeah, I'm starting to notice that more and more also.

He's been talking a lot about one particular player signing with a team that you and I would be pleased with, so let's hope he has credible sources for that, as well.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels for Everyone View Post
i'd take a bag of pucks and a fried chicken sandwich atm..

i'm just wondering what teams would want to take him. Although he's on a very reasonable contract.
Atlanta might be interested. I dont think they have any big signings that'll help them reach the cap floor, and it looks like they're short on DMan according to their signings thus far. Plus their PK was 27th last year and Lilja could help boost that. LAs another option for similar reasons. Could use some payroll, some Dmen, and a boost to their PK.

Maybe we could land a 4th round pick for him, or maybe a prospect with size thats projecting to be a 3rd/4th line banger.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Hmmm. A bit risky now, but it could turn out to be a massive steal. IE Zetterberg or Kronwall.

Who knows?

[edit] And I thought i'd add this...

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Adam Larsson

This will be a steal in 2 years.

Adam Larsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:02 PM
HankTheTank

I certainly don't think it's a "great" deal by any means, but 5 years is nice. No issues with losing him now.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
The Wings somehow managed with Schneider and Lidstrom *gasp* both being lefties.
I'm not disagreeing with that point, they did manage. But, every year they've won the cup since 97, Lidstrom's defensive partner on the PP has been a right handed shot. Doesn't mean anything IMO, but it's an interesting stat.

07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Angels for Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I'm not disagreeing with that point, they did manage. But, every year they've won the cup since 97, Lidstrom's defensive partner on the PP has been a right handed shot. Doesn't mean anything IMO, but it's an interesting stat.
it worked one year, but Schneiders last year in Detoit the PP was TERRIBLE.

Spent 1/2 the year dead last in the NHL and finished in the 20's

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ive_years.html

"We'll have to make a decision based on the 23-man roster, the salary cap and age,'' Holland said. "We'll have to be prepared to trade some players. I would expect there would be interest in some of our players.''

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
the_speedster

The duration works but the dollar amount I feel is too much for a very one dimensional fringe player tha'd have a hard time being a full time nhl'er on a weaker team...

plus his little rat face annoys me

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:54 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
That's your problem right there.

The Wings don't have to carry 23 guys - they'll carry Meech as a 7th defenseman on the "OMGZ, HE'LL GET CLAIMED OFF WAIVERS!" idea [personally, I think he clears, no problem], and Helm can easily go back to Grand Rapids so they can carry Chelios as an 8th defenseman. [I have the Wings carrying 13 forwards right now just for the sake of balance.] They could just as easily buyout Mikael Samuelsson in 3 days [this might not be that far-fetched] and save themselves $800,000 with which they can sign Chelios and McCarty.

The real question is how many players they plan on carrying on the roster - because they can open up cap space accordingly depending on who they don't carry as extras.
Agreed, although I think the Wings buying out Samuelsson is an extremely far-fetched idea. Assuming there isn't a buyer out there for an expiring contract on a 15-20 goal scorer making 1.2M, I would be shocked if he cleared waivers prior to his buyout. There's got to be at least 1 team out there who'd grab him for 1 year at 1.2M if he hit the waiver wire.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Hyperkookeez*

3mil cap hit for filppula

*******, holland is a magician

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
They have $370K of cap space, but that includes guys like Helm (not a lock for the roster perhaps) and Meech (7th D right now). Including Helm and Kopecky, that's 13 forwards.

They'll have to pare down their depth a bit methinks. Not sure what this means for Cheli.
That's fairly tight for injury recall purposes but not impossible.

07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
ELab2

What a deal. Holland continues to amaze

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
The duration works but the dollar amount I feel is too much for a very one dimensional fringe player tha'd have a hard time being a full time nhl'er on a weaker team...

plus his little rat face annoys me
A one dimensional fringe player. I take it you haven't seen or watched much of his game. He is one of the strongest defensive players on the team plus has the talent to be a 20-30 goal scorer within a few years. The fact that you say he would have a hard time being a full time nhl'er on a weaker team just goes to show me that not only haven't you seen him play but you don't follow the nhl. Filppula was a second line center on the deepest team in hockey and you call him a fringe player.

probertrules24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

People were talking about the Hossa deal being a brilliant move by Holland. It wasn't. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say yes when a player of Marian's calibre comes to you and bends over backwards to accommodate your team.

This move was brilliant, and this move is what Holland is the best in the business. Now if only Shero can lock up Staal long-term this summer for around 3.5 per...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
People were talking about the Hossa deal being a brilliant move by Holland. It wasn't. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say yes when a player of Marian's calibre comes to you and bends over backwards to accommodate your team.
Maybe you just don't understand the work what Holland has done to build this team so attractive, that superstars want to play at Wings "for free".

He has been the Red Wings GM for 11 years and is responsible for all the good things that now are happening.

All credit getting Hossa goes to Holland by 100%, when you just think a little bit this situation.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
River Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post

This move was brilliant, and this move is what Holland is the best in the business. Now if only Shero can lock up Staal long-term this summer for around 3.5 per...
If we could get Staal locked up on a long-term deal for 3.5 per year then that would really put the proverbial icing on the cake for Shero's handling of this offseason.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post
BTW;
Do you guys really want a 46 year old, Chelios who was scratched during the playoffs
No, but he's going to get a contract anyway.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote