HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What can I do to have a good season and improve my game?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM
  #1
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO
 
Snip Genos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
What can I do to have a good season and improve my game?

So I'm entering my last year of midget hockey and I haven't been improving my game as much as I'd like the last 2 years. I really want to have a good season this year because I plan on trying out for junior teams after.

Anyways, my last 2 years, I've been playing on the same team and I haven't been producing as much as I think I'm capable of. I am trying to find ways to improve my game and I would like some opinion on what I came up with:
(numbered so you can comment on them more easily)

1) This off season I am commited to getting in better shape by watching what I eat and doing a lot of excercise. Conditioning has always been a weakness of mine and since our team usually has only 2 lines, I always get atleast 20 to 30 minutes a game and can't do too much by the end of the game.

2) I will also be playing on the high school team, on top of the midget team. Extra icetime for me would be great because with my midget team, all of our practises were the same and we never learned anything.

3) I will probably make skating rink so I could practise my stick handling and shooting every day. I think I need to improve my finishing ability and my creativity, so having my younger brother in net for me would probably help.

4) I have always played wing but I'm thinking this year I should try playing centre. It could help me be more complete, and I like being the go-to guy for a defensive assignment. I know the position well enough to play it because sometimes I do play it for a few shifts if we're short a few guys.

Thoughts or suggestins?

Thanks.

Snip Genos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:11 PM
  #2
PhysicalTorque
Registered User
 
PhysicalTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Be more comitted to a workout regiment, also, practice hard with your brother in net, nothing is impossible, work hard, and you will see success.

I'm also going to play some high school hockey this year, along with my exterior league, it's better to impress scouts with double the numbers, try a hockey video resume too. Add some music and stuff, I'd rather you join NCAA OR CIS, because you can get an education discount out of it.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
  #3
MikeD
Registered User
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Unless your younger brother is a goalie that matches your skill level or higher, it wont help you any more than having a shooter tutor or an open net. Having him in net will make it more fun.

Is your HS team of the same or higher caliber than your youth team? If not, the extra ice will help your conditioning but will not improve your understanding of the game. Playing "down" on your HS team has been shown to harm your "A" game decision making.

Switching to center? I hope you have seriously dedicated yourself to the improved conditioning you spoke of in #1. While an understanding of the position is good, lacking the conditioning for it will kill you and your team. If you have struggled with the physical demands as a winger, a switch to center, looking for some sort of glory, will likely bring the opposite result.

Believe me, scouts are not impressed by simple numbers nor much of HS hockey unless your in a nationally known program. They understand the level of competition where these numbers are derived from. Padding numbers in a weaker level of play doesnt fool any of these guys. Doing so could actually back fire on you. There is much to be said for a persons personal reputation, your character. Should any suspect that your playing down with the intent of padding, your reputation/character becomes tarnished.

Honestly, wouldnt you know this if it were your job to seek out new talent? If you felt that a prospective player thought he/she could get that by you, would that not be an insult to your intelligence? Does this kid think your a "fool" and easily deceived?

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
  #4
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO
 
Snip Genos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
Be more comitted to a workout regiment, also, practice hard with your brother in net, nothing is impossible, work hard, and you will see success.

I'm also going to play some high school hockey this year, along with my exterior league, it's better to impress scouts with double the numbers, try a hockey video resume too. Add some music and stuff, I'd rather you join NCAA OR CIS, because you can get an education discount out of it.
Thanks, I might try to do the video resume if I can get some games filmed, good idea. I haven't thought much about college hockey, probably because it doesn't get much attention around here but I'l look it up.

Snip Genos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
  #5
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO
 
Snip Genos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Thanks for the reply MikeD.

Scoring on my brother isn't really a challenge so I guess it won't help me much, but like you said, it will make it more fun.

My HS team is a lot better than my youth team and their practises are very good, therefore it shouldn't make me a worse hockey player, but a better, more conditioned one.

Yea, I don't want to hurt my team by playing a position that I'm not fit enough to play, which is why I'm getting in shape and I think I'l be good to go, if not by the time September comes, then by december, because I'l be playing a lot of hockey and will be dieting as well.

I would never want to pad my numbers just to get scouts to notice me, I think my league stopped counting points in the middle of last year for some reason anyways. All I want to do is become a better player and help my team win hockey games, and I think my offensive game needs improvement.

Snip Genos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
  #6
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
It's a little late now, maybe this advice would have been better earlier in the summer. BUT, see if you know anyone in a better/older league than your own, and try to practice with them. Even if you're just a body at the practice, playing with better players will make you (Surprise) better.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:18 PM
  #7
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Unless your younger brother is a goalie that matches your skill level or higher, it wont help you any more than having a shooter tutor or an open net. Having him in net will make it more fun.

Is your HS team of the same or higher caliber than your youth team? If not, the extra ice will help your conditioning but will not improve your understanding of the game. Playing "down" on your HS team has been shown to harm your "A" game decision making.

Switching to center? I hope you have seriously dedicated yourself to the improved conditioning you spoke of in #1. While an understanding of the position is good, lacking the conditioning for it will kill you and your team. If you have struggled with the physical demands as a winger, a switch to center, looking for some sort of glory, will likely bring the opposite result.

Believe me, scouts are not impressed by simple numbers nor much of HS hockey unless your in a nationally known program. They understand the level of competition where these numbers are derived from. Padding numbers in a weaker level of play doesnt fool any of these guys. Doing so could actually back fire on you. There is much to be said for a persons personal reputation, your character. Should any suspect that your playing down with the intent of padding, your reputation/character becomes tarnished.

Honestly, wouldnt you know this if it were your job to seek out new talent? If you felt that a prospective player thought he/she could get that by you, would that not be an insult to your intelligence? Does this kid think your a "fool" and easily deceived?
You should really coach hockey, if you don't already do so.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:28 PM
  #8
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
The practices may be the same in Midget but be commited them and you'll improve, you don't necessarily "learn" anything new, it's just about perfecting your teams systems and becoming a better responsible player. Hell my last year of HS hockey I did ok my first two years of Midget, last off season build up the confidence (huge deal) and completely turned my game around.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:56 AM
  #9
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,195
vCash: 500
How did you build up your confidence?
And how would you get better playing in a higher level...wouldn't you just get your butt kicked and feel really discouraged?

That's kinda how it is for me especially when an awesome player dangles me all the time...ties in with confidence I suppose.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
  #10
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
How did you build up your confidence?
And how would you get better playing in a higher level...wouldn't you just get your butt kicked and feel really discouraged?

That's kinda how it is for me especially when an awesome player dangles me all the time...ties in with confidence I suppose.
I spent my first three summer league seasons playing in a league that took players of all skill levels. The vast majority of players were A and AA, with the odd AAA player, Select player, and house league player (like myself). Apparently it was the only full-contact summer league in the area, so it attracted a lot of good players. In the second year (as a 16 year old) I was the youngest player in the age bracket (others were mostly 17, 18, 19... with one 25 year old lol).

You will occasionally get rocked, as some guys will skate circles around you, dangle you, and sometimes just make you look like you have no idea what you're doing. The fun comes when you actually do something successfully... knowing that it was against high-calibre guys is a big ego boost.

Playing there sort of hurt my offensive instincts, but I became very good at playing without the puck (AAAs like to puckhog), managing gaps (essential when you're slower than everyone), and quickly finding a passing option (before a guy 10 years older than you knocks you out with a bodycheck).

It has its positives and negatives. It's probably not the best option if you want to be a prolific scorer, but if you just like to play then go for it.

That's my take, at least.


Also...
http://www.stanima.com/

Stanima Summer Youth Hockey in the GTA... for the younger members that are interested.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
  #11
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
How did you build up your confidence?
And how would you get better playing in a higher level...wouldn't you just get your butt kicked and feel really discouraged?

That's kinda how it is for me especially when an awesome player dangles me all the time...ties in with confidence I suppose.
Played summer hockey built it up, I was in a division where it was 5 teams the other 4 teams were all older guys that came in town to train for the off season and then there was my team which was a bunch of out of town bums and we ended up being the worst team in the league, and the myself i was by far the best player on my team and basically playing against better players and having to do it all myself (not being cocky but thats how things happened) eventually I started thinkin hey I can keep up pretty good. I ended up scoring 19 goals in 13 games.

When an awesome player dangles you don't feel bad, I had a buddy all thru minor hockey till midget would dangle my ass left and right every night, eventually I picked up on it and used him to help my one on one game improve, I rarely get danlged anymore usually its a super fast guy takes me wide and beats me haha but one on one stick handling I got alot better.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
  #12
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Played summer hockey built it up, I was in a division where it was 5 teams the other 4 teams were all older guys that came in town to train for the off season and then there was my team which was a bunch of out of town bums and we ended up being the worst team in the league, and the myself i was by far the best player on my team and basically playing against better players and having to do it all myself (not being cocky but thats how things happened) eventually I started thinkin hey I can keep up pretty good. I ended up scoring 19 goals in 13 games.

When an awesome player dangles you don't feel bad, I had a buddy all thru minor hockey till midget would dangle my ass left and right every night, eventually I picked up on it and used him to help my one on one game improve, I rarely get danlged anymore usually its a super fast guy takes me wide and beats me haha but one on one stick handling I got alot better.
Good point. Playing against someone better is not about losing confidence. If Pavel Datsyuk dangled you, would you be mad? Of course not, it Pavel ****ing Datsyuk. That's just an extreme case, but it carries my point well: When you play against guys you know are better, you will learn more, and get better quicker than if you played against guys in a lesser skill level than you. Playing against similarly skill players will help also, but it's a little slower, as you only get better as your opponent gets better, you feed off each other and that takes seasons at a time. Your skill level will tend to gravitate to opponent: If you consistently play against those that or worse than you, your development slows, stops, and can even regress. Play against equal competition (Save for the actual season), will make you a better player and help build confidence. Play against better competition and you'll get better. Granted, playing waayyy out of your skill level (If Pavel Datsyuk challeneged you to one-on-one drills) you probably won't get much better; go a step ahead, not a mile.

Confidence problems come when you play against someone you don't know is better then you, then when it hits the ice you find out (i.e. Like tryouts for a team your borderline for, or if you're up against the president of the league son's team).

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.