HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey needs to take a stand-again!

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Gainey needs to take a stand-again!

This is BS. The fans are booing Koivu now. Now i may have said some things about Koivu before or critisized him, BUT i would never boo our captain or anyone else for that matter. Gainey needs to come out and punk these ******** again. :mad:

Old
02-19-2004, 07:32 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
This is BS. The fans are booing Koivu now. Now i may have said some things about Koivu before or critisized him, BUT i would never boo our captain or anyone else for that matter. Gainey needs to come out and punk these ******** again. :mad:
I'd probably boo Dagenais/Perreault and sometimes Dackell/Juneau. They piss me off so bad...

Old
02-19-2004, 07:33 PM
RE-HABS

It's just typical of our fans.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Duff88

Continue to boo him!

Continue to boo him!

But there's a reasonning behind this... Anyone saw how good he performs when he's booed? It almost looks like he thinks " I'll show them if I'm a good hockey player " and he then create great chances!

Of course, I'd rather not see him get booed but I had to point out how well he reacted to this challenge!

BTW, Dackell is having a good game and I like what he brings so he doesn't deserve to get booed, but I don't like Dagenais and the fans comparing him to Modano, despite him getting a goal tonight.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
Dagenais and the fans comparing him to Modano, despite him getting a goal tonight.
Modano? Mike Modano???

Who came up with compairason????

If he was Modano he would have been in this league a loooooonnnnnnggggggg time ago!

My comparison Gilbert Dionne, one hit wonder and back to the minors.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:20 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
Continue to boo him!

But there's a reasonning behind this... Anyone saw how good he performs when he's booed? It almost looks like he thinks " I'll show them if I'm a good hockey player " and he then create great chances!

Of course, I'd rather not see him get booed but I had to point out how well he reacted to this challenge!

BTW, Dackell is having a good game and I like what he brings so he doesn't deserve to get booed, but I don't like Dagenais and the fans comparing him to Modano, despite him getting a goal tonight.
Dackell is good at times but awful at other times. The ONE game I went to this year he was god awful...

Old
02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Modano? Mike Modano???

Who came up with compairason????

If he was Modano he would have been in this league a loooooonnnnnnggggggg time ago!

My comparison Gilbert Dionne, one hit wonder and back to the minors.
Like you know, if someone says it on TV, most fans will believe it. Someone on TQS said it, I think it was Paul Rivard, and a lot of fans started to think that he's right. One of my friends, who is so-so in hockey knowledge, said that him and Ribeiro might form the best duo of all-time with the habs and that Dagenais will be a superstar.

Of course, it's not everyone who is as dumb, but I really heard comparaison with Mike Modano.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Prrebel

I hate to say it but I think the only answer is to trade both of them.

I can't believe people who think Ribs is the next coming of Guy Lafleur. He stunk up the join for 3-4 years, has half a good season, and all of asudden he is a god.

Koivu would, I think, welcome the trade. Wouldn't you? Our best player for years, comes back from cancer, our captain, our heart.... and people.. sorry.. IDIOTS think its funny and right to boo him. I have know people who grew up in Montreal and loved the Canadiens. But as they got older, and saw how the politics of the game works in Montreal, they began to HATE the team. In some cases I don't know if the word HATE is strong enough. It just so god dam flustrating listing to the bull ***** that goes on on a day to day basis.

As for Ribs, how would he look on a team other than Montreal, where he didn't have the french media kissing his ass every minute of every day. The media and tention between the languages just makes this team hard to watch some times.

I guess where I am not from Quebec, I don't know all the ins and outs of the *****ing that goes on... and you know what.... I don't want to know.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
rulin

No one is going to get traded because of the stupid media, or the stupid "fans". At least, I hope not.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:37 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Habber
No one is going to get traded because of the stupid media, or the stupid "fans". At least, I hope not.
That was one of the main reasons I was happy Bob Gainey was brought in. The media's days of causing trades are over.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:38 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Ah, the brainwashing of certain mindless fans by the biased Montreal media is now complete. Booing our Captain...classy.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:41 PM
deandebean

The fans are entitled to boo Koivu. Just to let him know that a captain's role is to unite, not divide.

Hey, every star got booed here, so what's new? People want results and HATE dissention in the Sainte-Flanelle.

Some even booed Ribs.

The booing will stop soon. Koivu works like a horse, and people recognize that. You'll see.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:43 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
Ah, the brainwashing of certain mindless fans by the biased Montreal media is now complete. Booing our Captain...classy.
Classy? Montreal fans, in fact Quebec fans by in large are anything but classy. And that's cool. When you throw eggs to Clarence Campbell you're anything but classy. But what's the problem? You want a "classy" crowd like in Ottawa. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
02-19-2004, 08:46 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
The fans are entitled to boo Koivu. Just to let him know that a captain's role is to unite, not divide.

Hey, every star got booed here, so what's new? People want results and HATE dissention in the Sainte-Flanelle.

Some even booed Ribs.

The booing will stop soon. Koivu works like a horse, and people recognize that. You'll see.
The booing won't stop soon because stupidity has no limit, unless Gainey will take a stand the brainwashed morons will listen like they listen to the RDS BS.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
It's just typical of our fans.
These aren't fans that are booing Koivu they're Ribeiro lovers!

Pathetic

Old
02-19-2004, 08:48 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
The booing won't stop soon because stupidity has no limit, unless Gainey will take a stand the brainwashed morons will listen like they listen to the RDS BS.

It has pretty much stopped in the 3rd. Koivu is loved by Montrealers, by in large. But his conduct lately has been less than stellar. And people sense it.

Old
02-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
It has pretty much stopped in the 3rd. Koivu is loved by Montrealers, by in large. But his conduct lately has been less than stellar. And people sense it.

His conduct of late? To me that insinuates poor behaviour over a course of time, and that is simply not true. What are you referring to here?

Old
02-19-2004, 08:58 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
his conduct??? besides the Ribs incident (and nobody knows exactly what happened) is there anything else??? Am I missing something? read the post on RDS.ca and you will disgusted, there is more than fan appreciation/non appreciation. I have never seen anything like that...shame for habs fans.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
I thought they were saying "boo-urn the Flames."

Old
02-19-2004, 09:08 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
his conduct??? besides the Ribs incident (and nobody knows exactly what happened) is there anything else??? Am I missing something? read the post on RDS.ca and you will disgusted, there is more than fan appreciation/non appreciation. I have never seen anything like that...shame for habs fans.
I rarely read the RDS stuff because people that write on it, can't even make a single sentence without a grammar mistake. And that makes me shiver. To think that grown ups can't spell...

As for the other incidents, well, lets just say that Koivu hasn't been a happy camper lately.

You see, beat writers in general have been pretty easy on the captain since the start of the season; it's been more the commentators that have been on his case. The beat writers are close to the team, to the players. Specially the older, more experienced ones. And they have been hinting lately that he's a pretty unpleasant customer. Which is, according to some, pretty much uncommon for the small fella. Did any of you know that Koivu had scrapes on the ice with Zednik and even (oh! my God) Rivet on the road? That's pretty symptomatic of someone who's not comfortable.

The beat writers have been hinting that Koivu was pretty frustrated with his utilisation on the PP, without writing it clearly.

Man, I've seen players get blasted by beat writers more than Koivu in my lifetime. Mike Lansing, does that ring a bell? Koivu is respected in the media confrérie. Because he's a trooper on the ice. His courage was never in doubt. His attitude, lately, was less than convincing, though.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:11 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
I rarely read the RDS stuff because people that write on it, can't even make a single sentence without a grammar mistake. And that makes me shiver. To think that grown ups can't spell...

As for the other incidents, well, lets just say that Koivu hasn't been a happy camper lately.

You see, beat writers in general have been pretty easy on the captain since the start of the season; it's been more the commentators that have been on his case. The beat writers are close to the team, to the players. Specially the older, more experienced ones. And they have been hinting lately that he's a pretty unpleasant customer. Which is, according to some, pretty much uncommon for the small fella. Did any of you know that Koivu had scrapes on the ice with Zednik and even (oh! my God) Rivet on the road? That's pretty symptomatic of someone who's not comfortable.

The beat writers have been hinting that Koivu was pretty frustrated with his utilisation on the PP, without writing it clearly.

Man, I've seen players get blasted by beat writers more than Koivu in my lifetime. Mike Lansing, does that ring a bell? Koivu is respected in the media confrérie. Because he's a trooper on the ice. His courage was never in doubt. His attitude, lately, was less than convincing, though.
That's just speculation, you can't boo someone based on that, pathetic anyway!

Old
02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

Some even booed Ribs.

Sure, just like when they booed Dougie Gilmour when he didn't produce his first 12 games because he didn't go to training camp... some people just have no class. It's like when they were booing Brisebois even after he had pulled his game together and then boo Rivet just in retaliation to the Brisebois booing. Stupid. We all know these guys are morons and are happy that Gainey stood up to them, but it's still disgusting.

Boo someone who deserves it, WHEN they deserve it. Is that so hard? From what I saw there was no one out there to boo tonight, everyone played very well.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:

The second Koivu was booed, I though exactly the same thing. It looked to me like that it cooled down during the end, though.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel
I hate to say it but I think the only answer is to trade both of them.
That's a little extreme, I think. Why would Gainey deal players because the media overhypes one, and fans come down hard on the other? That isn't sound management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel
Koivu would, I think, welcome the trade. Wouldn't you?
No. If I was in his shoes as a veteran player, I would realize what fans think is irrelevant in the big picture. I wouldn't be playing for fans; I'd be playing for my teammates. If anything, Koivu can take the fans booing as simply a reflection of the team's state: it's a losing franchise, and he'll get cheers when (if) they become a winning one. Use it as motivation.

Koivu doesn't strike me as the type that will take booing lying down. I would be surprised if he'd be discouraged by it. Maybe some disappointment, but a whole lot more of motivation to improve.

On the whole I agree with your point that it was a disgusting display by a bunch of idiotic fans though.

Quote:

I tend to agree with your posts, but I question this point. An argument or a fight in practice is not 'dividing' a team. I don't know your history in sports, but in my experience playing at a competitive level can be emotional and grueling. Fights will happen among teammates. It's inevitable when spending a lot of time with the boys to have a disagreement, have a tough stretch, and frustration boils over. I've had it happen with good friends in the past and it didn't mean a thing 10 minutes after the fact.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Ribeiro and Koivu's relationship is. I'm pointing out that rumours in the press about 'not-so-nice-looking' facial expressions on the ice between the two and a fight in practice isn't enough to convince me there's significant friction here, nor a division/staredown between two cliques.

And even if there was friction between the two, I don't find it's evident on the ice (in games, at least! ). I think both players have stepped up and played well this season.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:25 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
That's a little extreme, I think. Why would Gainey deal players because the media overhypes one, and fans come down hard on the other? That isn't sound management.

No. If I was in his shoes as a veteran player, I would realize what fans think is irrelevant in the big picture. I wouldn't be playing for fans; I'd be playing for my teammates. If anything, Koivu can take the fans booing as simply a reflection of the team's state: it's a losing franchise, and he'll get cheers when (if) they become a winning one. Use it as motivation.

Koivu doesn't strike me as the type that will take booing lying down. I would be surprised if he'd be discouraged by it. Maybe some disappointment, but a whole lot more of motivation to improve.

On the whole I agree with your point that it was a disgusting display by a bunch of idiotic fans though.

I tend to agree with your posts, but I question this point. An argument or a fight in practice is not 'dividing' a team. I don't know your history in sports, but in my experience playing at a competitive level can be emotional and grueling. Fights will happen among teammates. It's inevitable when spending a lot of time with the boys to have a disagreement, have a tough stretch, and frustration boils over. I've had it happen with good friends in the past and it didn't mean a thing 10 minutes after the fact.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Ribeiro and Koivu's relationship is. I'm pointing out that rumours in the press about 'not-so-nice-looking' facial expressions on the ice between the two and a fight in practice isn't enough to convince me there's significant friction here, nor a division/staredown between two cliques.

And even if there was friction between the two, I don't find it's evident on the ice (in games, at least! ). I think both players have stepped up and played well this season.
I have the upmost respect for Jacques Demers. This guy has the most insightful comments on the locker room right now. He's got the experience, and he talks to the players a lot. From all spectrums. Demers said that there's no division within the club, and I believe him. But it's a known fact around the club that Koivu was not happy lately, with his ice time and his play on the PP. Even Demers talked about it tonight.

I do believe that the fight is not about creating a schism. By the way, Koivu and Ribs were seen in a restaurant all alone today. Having a good talk, according to some gossipers... And if it's true (both didn't want to talk about it today), then I commend Koivu for that.

Koivu knows his conduct on the ice yesterday was inexcusable. Why do you think he avoided the press? I'm pretty sure with the consentment of the Habs' spin doctors.

Do you really think Bob Gainey didn't have a talk with his captain about it?

Closed Thread