HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Van Ryn says wrists good, ready to return

Old
07-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Van Ryn says wrists good, ready to return

GR reporting:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ho...ry/622435.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiherald.com
Van Ryn missed 62 games last season after having his second surgery on his right wrist in less than a year.

He said the time off has helped him heal, and his wrist feels as good as ever. The Panthers hope Van Ryn is right.

''I feel awesome now,'' said Van Ryn, who spent last week helping coach a youth camp in Coral Springs. ``I look at other guys around the league. It took [Edmonton Oilers defenseman] Sheldon Souray a while to get his right. It can be a difficult surgery. I'm just excited to play, try and contribute and help the Panthers win some games.''

07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
woot! Ryno! Glad to have you back. Lots of critics on Ryno's part around here but I love the guy, think about our defense if he contributes like he did pre wrist problems

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:33 PM
KWGoon

That's great news. Now trade him.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
That was exactly the first thought I had when seeing the title of this thread.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
It's discussed in the article.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
FlaPanthers7

No, you don't trade him now when his value is at its lowest. You'll maybe get a low draft pick considering he's missed so much time over the last 2 years, including 62 games last year. Trade him around the deadline if he has a decent season and can stay healthy. Even though he's got a pretty friendly salary for a top 4 defenseman, if you are contemplating keeping Ballard (which I hope since we're gonna lose Bouwmeester) you are going to have to shed some salary to extend his deal.

FlaPanthers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

I wouldnt trade him

Old
07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Reading that article makes me feel good. If Mike is ready to comeback to form the D looks good this year.

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
My god, why are we still harping on trading Van Ryn? As has been mentioned, his value is at an all-time low and he doesn't have a bad contract for a guy that can do stop duty on the top pairing. He keeps making it obvious that he wants to HELP THE PANTHERS WIN GAMES. He wants to stay here, he wants to help us win, and he's a good top 4 two-way defenseman.

His value to us is higher than any potential trade will acquire in return, and he won't fetch any live bodies to help out with scoring.

Keep him. And when he proves himself, sign him to an extension. With Mr. Bouwmeester unlikely to return next year, we are going to need all the help we can get on the back end in the future.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Believe he said the same thing last year before the right wrist went wonky again. Definitely has ZERO trade value until he gets a few regular season games under his belt and plays well in them. If JM is convinced he's healthy though, could make some team able to pry JM's arms from around Bouwmeester in his unrequited love affair and make a trade for Bouw.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Believe he said the same thing last year before the right wrist went wonky again. Definitely has ZERO trade value until he gets a few regular season games under his belt and plays well in them. If JM is convinced he's healthy though, could make some team able to pry JM's arms from around Bouwmeester in his unrequited love affair and make a trade for Bouw.
You will note a complete lack of commentary in my previous post, and the thread title that clearly states it was Van Ryn's claim, not my presumption.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Haha, you really think fast. I'm a bit slower, but agree with you. Maybe this is a commercial, so that we get him somewhere and then can pick up Parrish.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Anod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I agree.

I wonder if george richard has a template called "Van Ryn off-season article"

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Anod

Although I still hope this really is his big comeback year but I am not holding my breath.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
My god, why are we still harping on trading Van Ryn? As has been mentioned, his value is at an all-time low and he doesn't have a bad contract for a guy that can do stop duty on the top pairing. He keeps making it obvious that he wants to HELP THE PANTHERS WIN GAMES. He wants to stay here, he wants to help us win, and he's a good top 4 two-way defenseman.

His value to us is higher than any potential trade will acquire in return, and he won't fetch any live bodies to help out with scoring.

Keep him. And when he proves himself, sign him to an extension. With Mr. Bouwmeester unlikely to return next year, we are going to need all the help we can get on the back end in the future.
Agreed. He had two surgeries on his wrists and hadn't felt as good as he does now. It's foolish to trade him now, and if Martin did, the same people calling for the trade would be upset after seeing how well he'll do elsewhere.

Get rid of Murphy. Nice guy, too much of a liability.

07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Agreed. He had two surgeries on his wrists and hadn't felt as good as he does now. It's foolish to trade him now, and if Martin did, the same people calling for the trade would be upset after seeing how well he'll do elsewhere.

Agreed. I dont think people remember how good of a player Van Ryn was pre injury, give the guy a chance before running to trade him, if he comes back to his pre injury days, we have one of the best defenses in the eastern conference.

Old
07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Neurotic Panther

Van Ryn was one of my favorites when he was traded here from St. Louis. If he can get back to that form it would be awesome. I think we should wait on the trade - as others have said his value is low anyway....lets give him the opportunity to show how far he's come. And I have to say I did appreciate hearing his comments about how he wants to play here. After hearing (or not hearing) what J-Bo thinks about playing here it was a breath of fresh air.

Neurotic Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
If Ryno returns to form, our defense is going to be one of the tops in the league.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

I disagree. He's good on the powerplay, just give him ZERO minutes 5 on 5 or PK. Keep him as the 7th Dman.

I agree with you that he is a liability; he got out muscled ALL THE TIME in front of the net and in corners. But he's got good vision and passing ability, so I think if we keep him out of defensive situations it shouldn't be a problem.

I think he's another guy that could bounce back. He looked good before he missed THIRTY GAMES due to the shoulder injury.

Besides, the only other guy I would trust so far QBing the PP would be Bouwmeester. Van Ryn has experience back there (and the ability) but undoubtedly may be rusty. And apparently Ballard can do time with the man-advantage, but we haven't seen that yet.

So,

Bouwmeester Ballard
VanRyn Murphy

would be our pairings on the PP.

Old
07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

I think the team needs to fire their orthopedic surgeon.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Clint

I just re-read my post and apparently I LIKE TO USE CAPS way too often to EMPHASIZE WHAT I'M SAYING. That must get REALLY ANNOYING sometimes, so I would like to APOLOGIZE to you guys after having to read that ATROCIOUS garbage of mine.

Oh yeah, and keep Van Ryn.

Old
07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I disagree. He's good on the powerplay, just give him ZERO minutes 5 on 5 or PK. Keep him as the 7th Dman.

I agree with you that he is a liability; he got out muscled ALL THE TIME in front of the net and in corners. But he's got good vision and passing ability, so I think if we keep him out of defensive situations it shouldn't be a problem.

I think he's another guy that could bounce back. He looked good before he missed THIRTY GAMES due to the shoulder injury.

Besides, the only other guy I would trust so far QBing the PP would be Bouwmeester. Van Ryn has experience back there (and the ability) but undoubtedly may be rusty. And apparently Ballard can do time with the man-advantage, but we haven't seen that yet.

So,

Bouwmeester Ballard
VanRyn Murphy

would be our pairings on the PP.
Gotta agree with clint here. Murphy is great PP but really struggle ES as I think he only had 1 or 2 assists ES the whole season. He's a floater in the D and a liability on 5v5 play and PK play.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
He's a floater in the D and a liability on 5v5 play and PK play.
I wouldn't say he's a floater, per se. It's just that he's small and clearly not very strong. And I guess he got used to having the puck all the time over in Finland and Switerland and never learned how to cut down angles or clog up passing lanes, which is something he isn't adept at from the limited games I saw on TV last year.

Old
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Hopefully we get back the Ryno of 2005-06!

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Keep him. His value is very low. If he excels he'll be a great piece on our back end. Van Ryn is a 40 Pt defenseman with a mean streak. If he can return to that form, oh boy!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote